Utah State wins MWC tourny over #4 SDSU -- hire Craig Smith now??

builtbadger and I were just discussing a coach that went 55 - 80 over 8 years and is not considered a good coach but a great one.....
Add the context or it will seem like he is similar to Pitino. At stops of 5 years when he was at a place 5 years what did he do compared to here. 5 years at UW, winning %, tourney appearances, final 4.

Would Smith bring any of this players with him? I am not 100% sure on the transfer rules these days. I am on board with giving him a shot.

Not sure I understand the infatuation with Craig Smith. He inherited a good roster at Utah St, including an all-conference talent in Merrill. When looking at preseason predictions, Utah St actually underperformed this year until they won the MW tournament. They were not a lock to go the NCAA tournament this year until Merill's big-time shot.

He seems like a solid coach, but some of you are acting like he would be a sure-fire winning coach at the next level. If Coyle moves on from Pitino and hires Craig Smith, I'd probably be okay with that. But his time at South Dakota (didn't make the NCAA tourney) and Utah St (2 for 2, but inheriting a good roster) doesn't jump off the page so significantly that we can crown him the next great hire for a Power-6 program.

No one is going to be a sure fire success at the next level. Smith has now jumped up 3 levels, DII to the Summit League, to the Mountain West and has had immediate success at all three levels.

He inherited a 1 win Mayville St team and won 17 his first season, then the conference championship the next two.

In his first season at South Dakota, he took them from 12 wins to 17. He also recruited Matt Mooney, and won a regular season title in year 3 but got beat out in the Summit tournament on a last second shot by South Dakota St.

Utah St had Sam Merrill for two seasons before Smith. Merrill averaged 16 ppg his sophomore season and Utah St was still only 17-17. Smith brought in Queta and has won 28 and 26 his first two seasons. He only has one more loss this season than last, and Merrill has been beat up for a good portion of the season.

Smith has been an assistant in the B1G before, under Miles, and the only year Nebraska went to the tournament was the last season Smith was an assistant there.

Utah St was also going to go to the tournament this year regardless if they lost to SDSU on Saturday. They were on the bubble heading into the tournament, but after two wins, they were in.

Would Smith bring any of this players with him? I am not 100% sure on the transfer rules these days. I am on board with giving him a shot.
With Merrill gone the only guy that sticks out is Queta. I'd take him, not sure if they could get him eligible for next year but he would be a solid replacement for Oturu. Catches the ball, passes well and defends.

Add the context or it will seem like he is similar to Pitino. At stops of 5 years when he was at a place 5 years what did he do compared to here. 5 years at UW, winning %, tourney appearances, final 4.
I am told constantly on here that there is no context that changes such a record.

When looking at preseason predictions, Utah St actually underperformed this year until they won the MW tournament.
:rolleyes: They finished #2 in the regular season, under SDSU with one loss all year and #4 in the nation. Got the #2 seed, and won the damn thing.

But his time at South Dakota (didn't make the NCAA tourney)
:rolleyes: It’s an auto-bid only league. 2017 they won the conf regular season, but lost by 3 to arch-rival South Dakota St in the conf tourny final. 2018, what can you say South Dakota St had a dominate year. They got 2nd regular and conf tourny, again, even though they had a better record.

Not at all the only coach people are mentioning. That very South Dakota St coach is now at Wright St (Nagy), and is also mentioned by some on these threads.

EDIT - Nagy left before that, in 2016. But he was at South Dakota St for 14 seasons before that and obviously had laid the foundation.

Reminds me of when Monson's team beat us. Not long later he was our coach.

I had a thought about Greg McDermott of Creighton and why his name is not mentioned. He is pretty successful there having gone to the NCAA tournament 5 of his first 9 years there and will make it 6 of ten this year. He also had success at Northern Iowa making the tourney 3 of 5 years there. He makes 1.3 million at Creighton so this would be a big upgrade.

One hitch-he bottomed out for 4 years at a higher level - Iowa State. He recruited 5 players that ended up seeing NBA playing time while there but was not able to succeed in winning there.

I am told constantly on here that there is no context that changes such a record.
Have it your way then. Look at it any way you want. Infer that it is the same thing that you included WSU, forgot the final 4 with his 1st full class, built UWGB to better than we are here after 7 years. You just cherry picked over two total building jobs versus 7 at one. You ignored the vast majority of the answer to draw a parallel to Pitino. Hell, his own father would not put him in that class period.

I had a thought about Greg McDermott of Creighton and why his name is not mentioned. He is pretty successful there having gone to the NCAA tournament 5 of his first 9 years there and will make it 6 of ten this year. He also had success at Northern Iowa making the tourney 3 of 5 years there. He makes 1.3 million at Creighton so this would be a big upgrade.

One hitch-he bottomed out for 4 years at a higher level - Iowa State. He recruited 5 players that ended up seeing NBA playing time while there but was not able to succeed in winning there.
I think he has some clouds around him that keeps him staying put

NCAA and FBI related clouds

I think it’s same investigation surrounding AZ and some others
Yes, specifically the same recruit that Louisville paid 100,000 to the family of Brian Bowen. Lot of calls between Mcdermott and Dawkins.

Here’s to hoping Pitino is back next year. My apologies to all you suffering from PDS.
Someone still believes this? And let me guess - we never actually made it to the moon.

We wouldn’t give credit to Pitino because his career B1G record is abysmal and he hasn’t shown he can coach.
Well, he has certainly hit the program average for NCAA appearances and he was Big Ten coach of the year. So he certainly can coach and it is a little nutty and mean spirited to say otherwise. Whether or not he can ultimately have the success we all want here, is another issue.

Well, he has certainly hit the program average for NCAA appearances and he was Big Ten coach of the year. So he certainly can coach and it is a little nutty and mean spirited to say otherwise. Whether or not he can ultimately have the success we all want here, is another issue.
Agreed. Pitino might turn out to be a great coach (I'm not convinced but maybe), but it just feels like you need the change here at this point in time with the fanbase and what's happened over 7 years.

We wouldn’t give credit to Pitino because his career B1G record is abysmal and he hasn’t shown he can coach.
Who is your choice to replace rp, galt? Just want to make sure you are on the record.

Your data is one year outliers compared to his overall body of work. He was coach of the year because we were historically bad and then mediocre.
Who is your choice to replace rp, galt? Just want to make sure you are on the record.
Coyle should figure out who a better replacement is. What is painfully obvious after 7 years is that Pitino isn’t a good coach. As long as his replacement doesn’t play the boring style of basketball that Virginia and Wisky play I really have no preferences other than it better not be Medved.

Ever notice that the guys throwing the most peanuts from the gallery are the ones who don’t have an answer or won’t commit to someone??

Your data is one year outliers compared to his overall body of work. He was coach of the year because we were historically bad and then mediocre.
He can coach and it is foolish to say otherwise. Add an NIT title achieved with mirrors to the list. Again, I am happy to see change if it is a really good one. There is just no need to be as nasty and wrong as you were there. Whatever rings your chimes though...

he also has a low 3 star center committed and an unranked SG. neither of which would get any of us excited about him bringing them along I don't think. although the Center is a big boy. 6-9 250.

Coyle should figure out who a better replacement is. What is painfully obvious after 7 years is that Pitino isn’t a good coach. As long as his replacement doesn’t play the boring style of basketball that Virginia and Wisky play I really have no preferences other than it better not be Medved.
No nikko and no "boring style". Quite a strong feeling there, galt.

If boring style brings us wins, I'll take it. But I agree, if you're not a fan of the team, Virginia and Wi are hard to watch

If boring style brings us wins, I'll take it. But I agree, if you're not a fan of the team, Virginia and Wi are hard to watch
Ever notice that the guys throwing the most peanuts from the gallery are the ones who don’t have an answer or won’t commit to someone??
So because someone doesn’t have a strong opinion on who the next coach should be we should just continue to roll with Pitino? What a terrible take.

So because someone doesn’t have a strong opinion on who the next coach should be we should just continue to roll with Pitino? What a terrible take.
He's not saying that. He's just saying that maybe you should take a chance and put your solution out there. You are so certain you know what they should do with Pitino, so what is the next step in your view? Who would you go after?

Why no Medved? If you are concerned with a style of play, then you can't say wins are your number one priority. If they win playing pack line d and with a slower pace on offense who cares!

Top Bottom