Utah State wins MWC tourny over #4 SDSU -- hire Craig Smith now??

I get that, but they were not ranked at the time they played. I just won't trust that they are as good as advertised until I see them in action in the grinder. It is just different than playing Maryland, MSU, OSU...that kind of talent night after night with almost no relief in the schedule.
Your right in the grind of a deeper conference they would be pushed more frequently but we can not know if they still would get 15-16 wins in the Big 10.

Kid hits a lucky basket and you wanna hire the coach.... great

Pitino will be back...just saying
There is a chance Pitino is back but i do not see that the kid hit a lucky shot. Hit a shot he practiced and prepared for thousands and thousands of times.

Actually, Carr did make the shot against Ohio State.
Haha alright either way I'm taking Craig Smith over Pitino. I'll take Smith developing Carr and letting him shoot those shots if he's comfortable with it over Pitino running the squad. If the argument is still Merrill or Carr, I'm still taking Merrill at this point. He's a senior. Carr technically a sophomore. I'll let Merrill take it. And I'll let Oturu take ours. This isn't really a shot at Carr. He's got two more years and I imagine he'll become a very good player. Decision-making hasn't been exactly ideal though. He needs time.

There is a chance Pitino is back but i do not see that the kid hit a lucky shot. Hit a shot he practiced and prepared for thousands and thousands of times.
And he hit that shot to win the game because his team stayed with a heavily favored opponent for 39:58, putting them in a position to win on a last-second opportunity. That was due to excellent game planning, in-game coaching, poise, and execution.

And he hit that shot to win the game because his team stayed with a heavily favored opponent for 39:58, putting them in a position to win on a last-second opportunity. That was due to excellent game planning, in-game coaching, poise, and execution.
Agree.

Is there enough common sense left in the world for Coyle to get this obvious of a thing right??

Or like so many obviously correct things that don’t get done, are there powerful/rich interests elsewhere pulling the strings for some stupid reason??

Of course that is true, but in the end you would not be giving credit to Pitino for doing the same unless we hit the big shot or unless Oturu hits the one and one against Iowa or unless Stefanovic hits the corner three to save Purdue or unless Morsell hits the 30 footer for the win to save Maryland. The fact is that our coach had our guys in position to win big games against ranked opponents but shots were not made or big shots were hit against us to stop that. Then, when that happens, Pitino stinks.

Right now everything shines about Craig Smith. His team goes 18 straight possessions empty against SDSU but no worries. I like the guy and would be fine with him being our next coach, but this analysis is all about the grass being greener on the other side of the fence.

Of course that is true, but in the end you would not be giving credit to Pitino for doing the same unless we hit the big shot or unless Oturu hits the one and one against Iowa or unless Stefanovic hits the corner three to save Purdue or unless Morsell hits the 30 footer for the win to save Maryland. The fact is that our coach had our guys in position to win big games against ranked opponents but shots were not made or big shots were hit against us to stop that. Then, when that happens, Pitino stinks.

Right now everything shines about Craig Smith. His team goes 18 straight possessions empty against SDSU but no worries. I like the guy and would be fine with him being our next coach, but this analysis is all about the grass being greener on the other side of the fence.

You don't get to a career coaching record of 205-99, with 5 conference championships in 9 years at 3 different stops by relying on a kid hitting one shot.

Yup.

When Pitino GETS to a conference championship game, and hangs with a heavily favored opponent, you'll start to have a point.

Until then, just more excuses.

You really do have a chip on your shoulder. I really like Richard and have bent over backward to give him credit where credit has been due. But pardon me and everyone for being honest about the profoundly mixed bag he's been as a coach and how it doesn't take a genius to conclude that we can and need to do better than these last seven years.

Is there an indication that Craig Smith recruit his socks off? If not, I'd pass.

You don't get to a career coaching record of 205-99, with 5 conference championships in 9 years at 3 different stops by relying on a kid hitting one shot.
Specifically - what traits, decisions, strategies do you see from Smith that translate to the Big 10?

Then, when that happens, Pitino stinks.
Fool us once, shame on you. Fool us 48-82 in 7 years, finishing 10th or worse four times .... shame on us!!!

Do you honestly not get that that is the point??? And not at all the point you're trying to make?

Come on....

Specifically - what traits, decisions, strategies do you see from Smith that translate to the Big 10?
Specifically - what traits, decisions, strategies do you see from Fleck that translate to the Big 10?

You always take a chance. Always. At some point, something different has to be done.

Smith is a defense first coach who prides himself on being strong in man to man principles. He will occasionally throw in other stuff, but his teams are very sound in man. They defend hard and rebound really well defensively. Offensively they run good motion and look to get to the rim consistently very similar to a Michigan State.

Smith is a defense first coach who prides himself on being strong in man to man principles. He will occasionally throw in other stuff, but his teams are very sound in man. They defend hard and rebound really well defensively. Offensively they run good motion and look to get to the rim consistently very similar to a Michigan State.
From what I've seen, some of the more effective sets they run are dribble penetration and a kick-out to the spot vacated by the driver. It's simple and ancient but effective. The disruption to the defense is similar to what you get with Wisconsin's Swing Offense, which is the defensive mismatches from the in-out motion.

Fool us once, shame on you. Fool us 48-82 in 7 years, finishing 10th or worse four times .... shame on us!!!

Do you honestly not get that that is the point??? And not at all the point you're trying to make?

Come on....
builtbadger and I were just discussing a coach that went 55 - 80 over 8 years and is not considered a good coach but a great one.....

From what I've seen, some of the more effective sets they run are dribble penetration and a kick-out to the spot vacated by the driver. It's simple and ancient but effective. The disruption to the defense is similar to what you get with Wisconsin's Swing Offense, which is the defensive mismatches from the in-out motion.

Agreed, they also run some nice stuff off of post ups. I honestly think Richard runs good sets to the post, but once it gets there it all stops. Utah State's wings move great without the basketball and find those vacated areas that you mentioned.

I am good with him. Really, I will be excited if he is chosen. If he is, he is going to need some breaks in the first three years, and I hope he gets them. If things break the right way, it could work out great.

Agreed, they also run some nice stuff off of post ups. I honestly think Richard runs good sets to the post, but once it gets there it all stops. Utah State's wings move great without the basketball and find those vacated areas that you mentioned.
I noticed about Queito that he is a terrific passer and he got the ball right back out to shooters when they collapsed on him. He's no Oturu in the post but he's a pretty good player btw.

builtbadger and I were just discussing a coach that went 55 - 80 over 8 years and is not considered a good coach but a great one.....
No, I was replying to:

"
The fact is that our coach had our guys in position to win big games against ranked opponents but shots were not made or big shots were hit against us to stop that. Then, when that happens, Pitino stinks.
"

As has been said ad nauseam by other posters, you can't keep apologizing for him with this type of excuse, when it happens over and over and over and over ....

The aggravating thing about the Gopher offense is that, when they run that high pick, the roller is invariably open, but it's exceedingly rare that the pass is made, if ever. I'm not the only one who's picked up on that; Damian Johnson tweeted about it months ago. It doesn't take a lot of film study for opposing teams to notice that and box in the ball handler off the screen. It's such a tactical weakness!

Last edited:

Not sure I understand the infatuation with Craig Smith. He inherited a good roster at Utah St, including an all-conference talent in Merrill. When looking at preseason predictions, Utah St actually underperformed this year until they won the MW tournament. They were not a lock to go the NCAA tournament this year until Merill's big-time shot.

He seems like a solid coach, but some of you are acting like he would be a sure-fire winning coach at the next level. If Coyle moves on from Pitino and hires Craig Smith, I'd probably be okay with that. But his time at South Dakota (didn't make the NCAA tourney) and Utah St (2 for 2, but inheriting a good roster) doesn't jump off the page so significantly that we can crown him the next great hire for a Power-6 program.

Not sure I understand the infatuation with Craig Smith. He inherited a good roster at Utah St, including an all-conference talent in Merrill. When looking at preseason predictions, Utah St actually underperformed this year until they won the MW tournament. They were not a lock to go the NCAA tournament this year until Merill's big-time shot.

He seems like a solid coach, but some of you are acting like he would be a sure-fire winning coach at the next level. If Coyle moves on from Pitino and hires Craig Smith, I'd probably be okay with that. But his time at South Dakota (didn't make the NCAA tourney) and Utah St (2 for 2, but inheriting a good roster) doesn't jump off the page so significantly that we can crown him the next great hire for a Power-6 program.
Yup.

Very valid point as we will get no sure thing here. What Smith at least brings is an identity (Defense first) and he's proven to be a good teacher and his teams improve by the end of the year. It would be no guarantee that he'd be our Bo Ryan or Tom Izzo for sure.

Top Bottom