Utah State wins MWC tourny over #4 SDSU -- hire Craig Smith now??

Why no Medved? If you are concerned with a style of play, then you can't say wins are your number one priority. If they win playing pack line d and with a slower pace on offense who cares!
We have a winner.....not galt!

So keep Pitino and his abysmal record, right? The next 7 years will be better, right?
Where, specifically, did I say to keep the current coach? OR that the next 7 years will be better?

Lay out your choice or pipe down. Gutless galt.

He's not saying that. He's just saying that maybe you should take a chance and put your solution out there. You are so certain you know what they should do with Pitino, so what is the next step in your view? Who would you go after?
Brian Dutcher.

Where, specifically, did I say to keep the current coach? OR that the next 7 years will be better?

Lay out your choice or pipe down. Gutless galt.
What have you committed to? Should we keep Richard? Let’s hear it Burner.

Why no Medved? If you are concerned with a style of play, then you can't say wins are your number one priority. If they win playing pack line d and with a slower pace on offense who cares!
I don’t think Medved has accomplished enough to warrant a change.

And I don’t want Virginia or Wisky’s style because if everyone played it I wouldn’t be a fan of college basketball.

Brian Dutcher.

Good name, doubt he'd entertain coming here. His dad even has said as much in an interview.

I don’t think Medved has accomplished enough to warrant a change.

And I don’t want Virginia or Wisky’s style because if everyone played it I wouldn’t be a fan of college basketball.

Fair enough on Medved, you and I are in agreement there still. It's why I prefer Smith currently.

As far as style I just look at the B1G and I look at like programs and it's hard to win the other ways.

So because someone doesn’t have a strong opinion on who the next coach should be we should just continue to roll with Pitino? What a terrible take.

No, I've said few times I think it's time to move on..

I'm saying I don't like the style of UVA or Wi, but I'd take the wins.

So because someone doesn’t have a strong opinion on who the next coach should be we should just continue to roll with Pitino?
As you knew, I said and implied nothing of the sort. Nice try at misframing what I said.

You were trying to shut down someone under consideration, but have no answer on who would be better. -> Makes your opinions very weak.

Brian Dutcher.
:rolleyes:

Asst at San Diego St from 1999-2017 (that's 18 seasons), in other words he was with Steve Fisher for his entire career at SDSU.

And now he finally got his dream job, HC at SDSU. And had them ranked #4 in the nation this season. In incredible weather, with big fan support (no NBA team in the market).

Why don't you suggest Izzo, while you're at it?

PAC, Big 12, Big Ten ... who's going to get fired this season?

Did people think Musselman would go to ..... Arkansas??

Just listening to guys talk, it sounds like it may be a very slow season as far as for P6 jobs opening. Maybe Clemson opens, Boston College will, otherwise it's kind of a crapshoot. Sounds like Wake will hold pat and they will go with a couple other options I'd guess. Texas may even stay with Shaka one more year. Just not a ton of dominos to fall it seems. Musselman to the SEC made sense because of his wife and some of his previous background.

Well, phooey on all that! haha ... I guess I will have to be patient.

What have you committed to? Should we keep Richard? Let’s hear it Burner.
Hear it?

Hear this galty - the ad needs to make a decision first, correct?

The ad is supposedly a master at his job, so any talk of not having a handful of great candidates at his fingertips sure seems to be unrealistic, don't you agree?

First step is to relieve RP of his duties, if the ad dares. We shall see.

And you still have no galt top list......

Brian Dutcher.
Brian is not coming back to Minnesota. I have that directly from members of his family. He has loved the San Diego lifestyle since leaving the tundra of the Midwest. He's retiring right where he is.

Hear it?

The ad is supposedly a master at his job, so any talk of not having a handful of great candidates at his fingertips sure seems to be unrealistic, don't you agree?

Non-answer. Figures.

All talk, no walk.

Hear it?

Would you keep Richard or not? Why is it so hard for you to state a position.

Brian is not coming back to Minnesota. I have that directly from members of his family. He has loved the San Diego lifestyle since leaving the tundra of the Midwest. He's retiring right where he is.
That's what we need on the GopherHole: inside info/intelligence!

Can't blame the guy, if true. SoCal is a beautiful place.

I believe if Coyle can make a home run hire (someone HE covets) he will do so shortly after the season ends. But the $2,000,000 buyout is an obstacle, and he won't just fire Pitino without a solid plan.

Pitino has turned over his staff once without taking any steps forward. He has his new facility for practice. When his surrogates start croaking about the barn, injuries, and pro defections, he is grasping at the last futile sign of defense.

To coin a phrase that is way over worked...."it is what it is."

And it isn't very good.

Last edited:

Agreed that for $2M he won't fire him just to fire him, and then see who he can get.

He will have someone mostly (or fully) in-hand before pulling the trigger, just as I believe he did with Fleck.

I believe if Coyle can make a home run hire (someone HE covets) he will do so shortly after the season ends. But the $2,000,000 buyout is an obstacle, and he won't just fire Pitino without a solid plan.

Pitino has turned over his staff once without taking any steps forward. He has his new facility for practice. When his surrogates start croaking about the barn, injuries, and pro defections, he is grasping at the last futile sign of defense.

And it isn't very good.

I actually disagree with the staff part. I've seen strides defensively the last two years. We are significantly better as far as positioning and helping off the ball. We also seem to recruit with a purpose and go for guys who are hard workers and a little underrated. I am actually starting to see an identity, however it probably will be too little too late.

Would you keep Richard or not? Why is it so hard for you to state a position.
Not hard at all. YOU are the one that is/was spouting.

I tend to think it is time to move on - that position is based on the ad's ability to hire a coach that will be at MN long term and elevate the program to a consistent winner and tournament participant.

We shall see if the ad has stones - and a pocket full of top coaches that want to make MN home. Historically, the ad had to hire from waaaaaaay down the list. Will that continue to be the case?

And it isn't very good.
The buyout is not an obstacle and if Coyle does fire Ptino it would mean he has a plan.

The feeling I get from some of these posts is people are worried that if Coyle does make a move he would be forced to make a Pitino like hire. I am confident in saying that won't happen.

The buyout is not an obstacle and if Coyle does fire Ptino it would mean he has a plan.

The feeling I get from some of these posts is people are worried that if Coyle does make a move he would be forced to make a Pitino like hire. I am confident in saying that won't happen.
We shall soon see if the MN job has been elevated in terms of hc jobs.

I agree with this. He's not going to dump Pitino just for anyone or the possibility of some guy who might make it. This is in part because he doesn't think Pitino is a lousy coach, like some of the geniuses here. If he did, Pitino would have been gone last year.

He is going to be looking for something close to a sure thing that will be a long term hire. That's why I am and have been reluctant to join the fire Pitino gang, he may be our coach again.

I agree with this. He's not going to dump Pitino just for anyone or the possibility of some guy who might make it. This is in part because he doesn't think Pitino is a lousy coach, like some of the geniuses here. If he did, Pitino would have been gone last year.

He is going to be looking for something close to a sure thing that will be a long term hire. That's why I am and have been reluctant to join the fire Pitino gang, he may be our coach again.
Yup.

I actually disagree with the staff part. I've seen strides defensively the last two years. We are significantly better as far as positioning and helping off the ball. We also seem to recruit with a purpose and go for guys who are hard workers and a little underrated. I am actually starting to see an identity, however it probably will be too little too late.
I will agree with you that we have a better defensive identity.....but we still don't pressure the ball. Of course Carr has to play 40 minutes (does he) so would no doubt kill himself if he played pressure defense. You lose me when you say he's "recruiting with a purpose." Greenlee and Freeman had no sample size, Williams is our quickest player and he didn't get much run either.

Not hard at all. YOU are the one that is/was spouting.

I tend to think it is time to move on - that position is based on the ad's ability to hire a coach that will be at MN long term and elevate the program to a consistent winner and tournament participant.

We shall see if the ad has stones - and a pocket full of top coaches that want to make MN home. Historically, the ad had to hire from waaaaaaay down the list. Will that continue to be the case?
LOLOL.

From this very thread, Barnburner: "Lay out your choice or pipe down. Gutless. "

Hahahahahahahaha

Top Bottom