Spring Practice: Speculation, Observation, Rumination

The U announced a couple weeks ago (?) that they would not be allowing any fans at any remaining home games/matches/meets for this spring, even though the state has started to allow that.

Would be pretty inconsistent and preferrential for them to say "Oh but the spring football game can have fans", don't you think?

The U announced a couple weeks ago (?) that they would not be allowing any fans at any remaining home games/matches/meets for this spring, even though the state has started to allow that.

Would be pretty inconsistent and preferrential for them to say "Oh but the spring football game can have fans", don't you think?
Bartenders of Gopher Hole:

What was the weirdest/craziest thing you have overheard while making someone's drink?

Bring it. Hope you waste five hours doing this on 1000 threads.

Love how easy it is to push your little buttons. 👍

Just wondering if they gonna have a game and have it broadcasted or not like they did a few years ago. don't mind watching from home but hope they do something instead of skipping it.

Delaying the inevitable at enormous cost is stupid. The Sweden approach is the right approach, though obviously more painful in the short term. COVID is a scourge of old, frail, fat people...we are spending trillions to extend almost exhausted lives, and the lives of those with irresponsible lifestyles. We are promoting the fiction that government can protect you from deadly viruses. It can't, and when a deadly virus arives that kills the young and healthy, watch how impotent the government really is.
Well said. Thank you, sir.

Just wondering if they gonna have a game and have it broadcasted or not like they did a few years ago. don't mind watching from home but hope they do something instead of skipping it.
I see, yes that is a good question.

I would hope so, since I assume they will get a full number of practices in that you would normally have during spring ball.

Fan attendance is a separate question.

Not having attended a Spring Game for the Gophers before, I wonder what most fans would be more in favor of: a game that would be open to fan attendance or a game that would be televised on B1G Network?

Selfishly, I would prefer a televised game because it's highly unlikely I would travel for the Spring Game in person but in general, a Spring Game with fans in attendance would be another nice big step towards getting back to where we need to be, and moving forward.

Not having attended a Spring Game for the Gophers before, I wonder what most fans would be more in favor of: a game that would be open to fan attendance or a game that would be televised on B1G Network?

Selfishly, I would prefer a televised game because it's highly unlikely I would travel for the Spring Game in person but in general, a Spring Game with fans in attendance would be another nice big step towards getting back to where we need to be, and moving forward.
If it was either or I would say televised. However, in recent years it's been televised in addition to having in person attendance, so if it happens we will all at least be able to watch on TV presumably.

I loved Seth, and will miss him in maroon and gold. Classy young man, and he found unique ways to make a solid contribution. Kudos to the staff on that, as well.

I'd like to see the Wildcat, but altered some.

If we have a guy on the roster who is a threat to throw as well as run, that would be ideal. Seth wasn't much of a thrower, but when they did pass out of the Wildcat they sometimes made big, crucial plays. Fourth down TD pass against Auburn comes to mind.

That being said, I would be in favor of at least experimenting with taking Morgan off the field when we run Wildcat, and replacing him with a genuine pass-catcher, or another blocker. I know that they lined him up way outside, and that forced the opponent to commit to sending one defender outside to cover him — just in case.

The Gophers have some big, strong blockers. Get another big body in there — or a real receiving threat.

Steveler would have been an amazing Wildcat QB - it's a shame they didn't use him more/find ways to get him snaps if he wasn't gong to be the regular QB, as he could/can obviously play.

Well, there you go. I was wrong. The school is happy to give preferrential treatment to football.

The University of Minnesota said on Thursday that it will not allow fans from the general public at any remaining winter or spring sporting events, despite the Big Ten announcing that member universities could follow state and CDC guidelines for attendance moving forward.

The U did leave open the possibility of hosting fans at a spring football game.

The Gophers athletic department said in a statement, "Due to recommended physical distancing guidelines and limited available seating capacity at our venues, Athletics will continue to prioritize admission to spectators who are guests of our student athletes and coaches during the current winter and spring seasons."

The home schedule over the next two months includes the women's soccer season finale on April 1; a volleyball series against Iowa on April 2-3; men's and women's tennis matches; 12 baseball and 16 softball games; the Minnesota Invitational for men's and women's track on April 30 and May 1; and the biggest event on campus, the 2021 NCAA men's gymnastics championship at Maturi Pavilion from April 16-17.

The university did hold out hope that fans could return to TCF Bank Stadium for the spring football game, if one is held.

Spring practice starts for the Gophers football team on Monday.

"In the event that Minnesota holds a spring football game, Athletics will follow all state guidelines and work closely with campus with the intent of having fans present," the university said.

Yeah, yeah, yeah ... it's because the seating is so limited at the baseball, softball, soccer, and track stadiums.

Yeah ... yeah ... that's the reason. 😆

Steveler would have been an amazing Wildcat QB - it's a shame they didn't use him more/find ways to get him snaps if he wasn't gong to be the regular QB, as he could/can obviously play.
Would have been fun to see what Fleck might have done with a guy like Streveler. Unfortunately he played during the dark ages of offense at the U, where being creative wasn’t really allowed. :)

I went to the Spring game the year it was held at St. Thomas.

Honestly, if you are a real hard-core fan and you want to see the team in action, or get a look at some of the new/younger players, it's fine.

But, I am at a point now in my life where I just don't like the driving and especially looking for a parking spot. Might be different if I lived closer to the Twin Cities, but for me, it's a 2-1/2 hour drive one way (5-hour round trip for those bad at math.....) I'm perfectly happy to wait for BTN to show the spring game and do the interviews with key players and Fleck. Because, let's face it, you really don't learn that much from the Spring game. Coaches keep it pretty vanilla.

I am curious about how Bryce Williams will fare this spring. He redshirted in 2019 and, I believe, was out for COVID protocol reasons for much of the shortened 2020 season. Just been re-watching some of his outside/bounce runs and pass catches in prior years. Small sample set, but he clearly is talented and fast. Maybe if healthy he will push his way back into the RB rotation in 2021. This is simply a hunch, but I think he’ll play a meaningful role in 2021. Might not be a popular opinion on GH, which seems to have moved past Bryce, but I think Bryce is more of a natural RB than Wiley, and is more durable than the talented Mr. Potts.

Would have been fun to see what Fleck might have done with a guy like Streveler. Unfortunately he played during the dark ages of offense at the U, where being creative wasn’t really allowed. :)
Streveler would have been fun in the wildcat.

Delaying the inevitable at enormous cost is stupid. The Sweden approach is the right approach, though obviously more painful in the short term. COVID is a scourge of old, frail, fat people...we are spending trillions to extend almost exhausted lives, and the lives of those with irresponsible lifestyles. We are promoting the fiction that government can protect you from deadly viruses. It can't, and when a deadly virus arives that kills the young and healthy, watch how impotent the government really is.
Eichmann would have loved you. The Covid-19 virus a the new "Final Solution" for those declared by you as unfit.

Eichmann would have loved you. The Covid-19 virus a the new "Final Solution" for those declared by you as unfit.

Don't fool with mother nature or God's will, or throw around your weak minded Nazi slogans.

Probably would not have recruited him as a QB, if at all.

Who will replace Seth Green's role?

I am curious about how Bryce Williams will fare this spring. He redshirted in 2019 and, I believe, was out for COVID protocol reasons for much of the shortened 2020 season. Just been re-watching some of his outside/bounce runs and pass catches in prior years. Small sample set, but he clearly is talented and fast. Maybe if healthy he will push his way back into the RB rotation in 2021. This is simply a hunch, but I think he’ll play a meaningful role in 2021. Might not be a popular opinion on GH, which seems to have moved past Bryce, but I think Bryce is more of a natural RB than Wiley, and is more durable than the talented Mr. Potts.
I'm fine for giving him a fair opportunity to earn playing time.

But I just feel like Fleck and co. have a very crowded room with some star younger guys that they want to pump up and get playing more.

Maybe nobody. Might just see more direct snaps to Mo.
Then again, why even do a direct snap?

Why not just run the offense we know how to run, have the QB hand the ball off .... or keep it and do a play-action pass?

I'm fine for giving him a fair opportunity to earn playing time.

But I just feel like Fleck and co. have a very crowded room with some star younger guys that they want to pump up and get playing more.
I don't disagree. When Mar'Keise Irving shows up this fall, we will have as much legitimate depth at RB as I can ever remember (and we had some real depth during Mason's years). Ky Thomas will be pushing to play, if he is as talented as folks believe. Jason Williamson is a wild card. Can he be the "big" RB we haven't had since Kobe McCrary? Has he suffered injuries (someone said weightlifting)? But experience counts a lot in complex offensive schemes. The Rodney Smith, Mo Ibrahim, Shannon Brooks trio of very experienced backs, each a bit of a change of pace, really gave our offense an assist in 2019, I believe. Our backs weren't gassed in the 4th Q, and each brought a little different strength to the table. Bryce has B1G playing experience and knows PJ's system; he's had years in the weight room; he is strong and fast. He is a pretty good receiver (if we decide to run a few screens or swing passes). If he has become a little better blocker on passing plays, he brings a lot. If he gotten the "patience" and "vision" things down a little better on cramped runs between the tackles, then he really brings a lot. Maybe he will be bypassed by the young guys, but he has the stuff to be a contributing part of a "pair and two spares" of competent backs this coming season IF, as you say, he earns it. Like I said, it's just a feeling ... that he will earn it. {Unless he transfers ... which will mean I'm wrong!}

Maybe nobody. Might just see more direct snaps to Mo.
IMHO, this is an opportunity for PJ Fleck's coaching staff to be more creative and difficult to defend. It doesn't have to be a Seth Green type of wildcat.

Not only that, here is an opportunity to maximize the use of talented athletes. Some who otherwise may not see the playing field much.

There is reason to be optimistic if we believe what PJ Fleck is saying this Spring that he's very pleased with team depth.

Does anyone know the stats of Red Zone scoring for the Gophers in 2019?

Own the Red Zone and Special Teams, and you are going to see the next level Gophers Team.

Yup. For instance, put in Mo with Mar'Kies, Ky Thomas, another extra back or receiver. I am sure they can be effectively creative.

This just make the fans all pumped up.

Jason Williamson is a wild card. Can he be the "big" RB we haven't had since Kobe McCrary? Has he suffered injuries (someone said weightlifting)?
I'm surprised that the status of his health hasn't been confirmed by now. Perhaps we will know more at the upcoming Spring Game.

Top Bottom