Spring Practice: Speculation, Observation, Rumination

Extra blocker if the QB can lead.
Exactly. In a normal handoff, the offense has 9 guys to block 11 defenders. If you go direct snap, you now have 10 guys to block 11 defenders. Now you can argue that taking away the threat of a pass is more detrimental than the benefit of an additional blocker, but if they’re selling out for the run anyway it doesn’t really matter.
Same reason the read option has become so popular. By having the QB be a threat to run, he takes the backside end out of the play and you now have 9 guys to block 10 defenders instead of 11.

Exactly. In a normal handoff, the offense has 9 guys to block 11 defenders. If you go direct snap, you now have 10 guys to block 11 defenders. Now you can argue that taking away the threat of a pass is more detrimental than the benefit of an additional blocker, but if they’re selling out for the run anyway it doesn’t really matter.
Same reason the read option has become so popular. By having the QB be a threat to run, he takes the backside end out of the play and you now have 9 guys to block 10 defenders instead of 11.
I disagree, but these arguments are perfectly valid, and I think it's more a matter of style and preference.

I would anticipate that the week after the Spring Game we will see some players entering the transfer portal. Some possibilities:

1. The scholarship QB who sits fourth on the depth chart, knowing that playing time is unlikely and that Athan is coming this fall.

2. A second or third year WR who has perhaps already been passed up by Lemeke Brockington and/or Brady Boyd.

3. One of the veteran linebackers, because there are a lot of bodies, the Gophers frequently only play two at a time, plus the return of Braelen Oliver and the addition of Jack Gibbens.

4. I would have said one of the RBs too, but with the injury to Jason Williamson I'm thinking they might all stay.

A bunch of large men standing around...

PJ said Mo will not be playing in the spring game out of an abundance of caution due to his observance of Ramadan.
Hmmmm, in that case I think it's a toss up now.

Still listed as WR on Gophersports.
Playing TE on the Maroon team according to the spring draft lists, wonder if they're trying him out there before making a full determination.

Well, there you go, two years ago I had him as an all big ten wide receiver, I'll need to make a reassessment.

Very interesting spring game rosters. On team Tanner Morgan/Cole Kramer, the RBs are Cam Wiley and Preston Jelen. That's it. On the Annexstad/Clark team, the RBs are Mo (out), Trey Potts, Bryce Williams, Ky Thomas (still recovering?) and Kendall Moore.
On team Morgan/Kramer, the WRs include CAB, Dylan Wright, Mike Brown-Smith, and Brockington, but the only TEs are Austin Henderson and Nnamdi!
On team Annexstad/Clark, the WRs include Jackson and Geary (and Boyd, Hillard-McGill and Mann), but the TEs are Kieft, Witham, BSF, Kallerup and Schroeder.
OL on team Morgan/Kramer has Conner O, JMS and Ruschmeyer, as well as young guys Ersery, Guedet, Boe, Cooper and Martes Lewis.
On team Annexstad/Clark, OL has Faalale, Dunlap, Andries, Schlueter, Boe and Karter Shaw as well as Beier & Tyrell Lawrence.
Seems like some unbalance, which might be a result of folks expected to have limited playing time. Or maybe the two teams have different offensive schemes (spread offense vs. double TE offense?)
Haven't even started to think about defense.
This should be a very fun game ...

My initial thought was that Gold should be pretty heavy favorites.

Very interesting spring game rosters. On team Tanner Morgan/Cole Kramer, the RBs are Cam Wiley and Preston Jelen. That's it. On the Annexstad/Clark team, the RBs are Mo (out), Trey Potts, Bryce Williams, Ky Thomas (still recovering?) and Kendall Moore.
On team Morgan/Kramer, the WRs include CAB, Dylan Wright, Mike Brown-Smith, and Brockington, but the only TEs are Austin Henderson and Nnamdi!
On team Annexstad/Clark, the WRs include Jackson and Geary (and Boyd, Hillard-McGill and Mann), but the TEs are Kieft, Witham, BSF, Kallerup and Schroeder.
OL on team Morgan/Kramer has Conner O, JMS and Ruschmeyer, as well as young guys Ersery, Guedet, Boe, Cooper and Martes Lewis.
On team Annexstad/Clark, OL has Faalale, Dunlap, Andries, Schlueter, Boe and Karter Shaw as well as Beier & Tyrell Lawrence.
Seems like some unbalance, which might be a result of folks expected to have limited playing time. Or maybe the two teams have different offensive schemes (spread offense vs. double TE offense?)
Haven't even started to think about defense.
This should be a very fun game ...
They do also do a "draft" where the captains and the 2(?) coaches with each team draft players so I would expect some imbalance there.

Anyone else read the Sanford interview and noticed how he was very specific in mentioning both Zac and Tanner when talking about QBs?

I wonder if that means we might see some competition there, I thought Tanner would be the de-facto starter for sure.

NAM listed as a TE now. First I've seen of the position change.
Did Nnamdi Adim-Maudemere at the listed 6'4" 245 lbs deemed too big and slow as a WR? We need lots of blocking TEs who can catch.

Anyone else read the Sanford interview and noticed how he was very specific in mentioning both Zac and Tanner when talking about QBs?

I wonder if that means we might see some competition there, I thought Tanner would be the de-facto starter for sure.
Tanner is the odds on favorite to continue his run as the starter for the Gophers. But nothing is guaranteed to him. Fleck is clearly all in on 2021 so he will 100% play the QB he feels will give the team the best chance to win games. If at some point that looks to be Zac or one of the other QBs, they will play.

Tanner is the clear #1 guy as a multi year starter with one fabulous season under his belt. But 2020 showed that he isn't perfect so while I would be surprised to see anyone else under center if Morgan is healthy, it could certainly happen.

Did Nnamdi Adim-Maudemere at the listed 6'4" 245 lbs deemed too big and slow as a WR? We need lots of blocking TEs who can catch.
Given the potential we have at WR this would make a lot of sense given his size.

Given the potential we have at WR this would make a lot of sense given his size.
He certainly looks thick and muscular. Time in the weight room can transform him into possibly a starter or second string.

Well not if THEY find out... I don't plan on that happening ...
Well luckily for you I doubt anyone is looking real hard to see if you have an agent at this point so you will probably be able to get away with it......what kind of van does your agent work out of? :)

Top Bottom