Spring Practice: Speculation, Observation, Rumination

I don't disagree. When Mar'Keise Irving shows up this fall, we will have as much legitimate depth at RB as I can ever remember (and we had some real depth during Mason's years). Ky Thomas will be pushing to play, if he is as talented as folks believe. Jason Williamson is a wild card. Can he be the "big" RB we haven't had since Kobe McCrary? Has he suffered injuries (someone said weightlifting)? But experience counts a lot in complex offensive schemes. The Rodney Smith, Mo Ibrahim, Shannon Brooks trio of very experienced backs, each a bit of a change of pace, really gave our offense an assist in 2019, I believe. Our backs weren't gassed in the 4th Q, and each brought a little different strength to the table. Bryce has B1G playing experience and knows PJ's system; he's had years in the weight room; he is strong and fast. He is a pretty good receiver (if we decide to run a few screens or swing passes). If he has become a little better blocker on passing plays, he brings a lot. If he gotten the "patience" and "vision" things down a little better on cramped runs between the tackles, then he really brings a lot. Maybe he will be bypassed by the young guys, but he has the stuff to be a contributing part of a "pair and two spares" of competent backs this coming season IF, as you say, he earns it. Like I said, it's just a feeling ... that he will earn it. {Unless he transfers ... which will mean I'm wrong!}
Interestingly, Wiley and Williamson have essentially the same build and very similar running styles.

IMHO, this is an opportunity for PJ Fleck's coaching staff to be more creative and difficult to defend. It doesn't have to be a Seth Green type of wildcat.

Not only that, here is an opportunity to maximize the use of talented athletes. Some who otherwise may not see the playing field much.

There is reason to be optimistic if we believe what PJ Fleck is saying this Spring that he's very pleased with team depth.

Does anyone know the stats of Red Zone scoring for the Gophers in 2019?

Own the Red Zone and Special Teams, and you are going to see the next level Gophers Team.
89%, good for 25th best in FBS. 80% last year, about 80th in FBS.

Interestingly, Wiley and Williamson have essentially the same build and very similar running styles.
True. But, I think Wiley has topped out at 210 lbs. He is quite lean. Williamson looks to have a frame that could carry 225-230 easily. Could be a Groshek type, I think. I’m still having nightmares of Groshek running up the gut against the Gophers in the Badger game. Wiley might be a bit more athletic, but I don’t see him as a guy we use profitably for RTUM. Maybe Williamson isn’t that guy either.

True. But, I think Wiley has topped out at 210 lbs. He is quite lean. Williamson looks to have a frame that could carry 225-230 easily. Could be a Groshek type, I think. I’m still having nightmares of Groshek running up the gut against the Gophers in the Badger game. Wiley might be a bit more athletic, but I don’t see him as a guy we use profitably for RTUM. Maybe Williamson isn’t that guy either.
They literally have the same build. That's the one game Groshek had that type of success. Mo does just fine with RUTM carries.

Not that it will be read or responded to, but I sent an email to Coyle today. To break the ice, I referenced having drinks with his brother in the Des Moines area a few years ago. Then I pointed out that I thought it was crazy that updates are streaming out of every other team's spring practices, and yet Minnesota is maintaining radio silence. I think that's a crazy way to build enthusiasm for a season.
The U just announced that the spring game on May 1 will be open to 10,000 fans. My unread and unresponded to email did the trick. I'm a genius!

Ohio St spring game will be on BTN today. Good preview for the week 1 game. 12ET/11CST.

I saw that he was on the non participation list.

after watching the Ohio State spring game, it seems like they had the top rated receivers every year forever. Do we have a good enough secondary to be in the game? Best thing ever, control the ball, keep their offense on the sideline sunning themselves.

after watching the Ohio State spring game, it seems like they had the top rated receivers every year forever. Do we have a good enough secondary to be in the game? Best thing ever, control the ball, keep their offense on the sideline sunning themselves.
OSU is always going to have great athletes all over the field that will be tough to cover. D-Line is more important than the secondary. If you get great pressure on the QB it makes it much much easier to deal with the great athletes at the skill positions.

Whether or not we can generate that pressure will be the million dollar question heading into that game.

Hopefully our defensive line will penetrate quickly this fall so that the corners don't have to stay with the wide receivers forever.

Look, OSU may be Goliath to our David, but they aren't infallible.

The 2014 team that won the CFP lost to Virginia Tech in their second game of the season. That Virginia Tech team ended the year 7-6.

The 2017 team lost to an eventual 8-5 Iowa team.
The 2018 team lost to an eventual 6-7 Purdue team.

OSU for the foreseeable future with have the talent edge on almost every B1G team, but that doesn't mean it's not possible for them to lose. Will it be tough? Yes. Will we need to doe everything right? Probably. Will they need to make some mistakes? Absolutely. Is it improbable that we win? Yes. Impossible? No.

I like to hold out hope. This coming year we can be OSU's only conference loss.

The 2014 team that won the CFP lost to Virginia Tech in their second game of the season. That Virginia Tech team ended the year 7-6.

OSU for the foreseeable future with have the talent edge on almost every B1G team, but that doesn't mean it's not possible for them to lose. Will it be tough? Yes. Will we need to doe everything right? Probably. Will they need to make some mistakes? Absolutely. Is it improbable that we win? Yes. Impossible? No.

The 2000 team lost to an eventual 6-6 Minnesota team.

It's nice getting a little news out of spring practice and seeing some pictures of the new comers and younger guys.

Last year it was surprising that Lindenberg started at LB as a true freshman without much of an offseason. He looked undersized, but that's not the case this year. It looks like he added a bunch of muscle.

Lindenburg1.jpg

Lindenburg2.jpg

Last edited:

Wow. No kidding!

Reminds me of:
"Starting Defense!! Place at the table!!! Wooooo!!!!"

Bring on those cake eaters.

Top Bottom