Spring Practice: Speculation, Observation, Rumination

Goggle : Matt Campbell and Iowa State spring practice. Very little hitting. Mainly just in helmets. Emphasis on the mental aspects as well as complete focus in the weight room. Why create situations where injuries can occur. Spring game Probably. 7 on 7.
Sounds like St. Johns. I don't know if the current coach does this, but clearly Gags did this.

Agreed.

You can just see it in his face, when someone asks what should be a relatively straightforward question, and he takes a second, looks down or takes a half second pause to gather and organize all the things that he is about to say.

Just not my style, at all, in what I prefer. But if it wins, that's what matters.
I mean this as sincerely as possible--you're not concise whatsoever. Shocking you don't like someone who talks how you posts

We live in a decadent age where the government is trusted to keep everyone perfectly safe from viruses that kill mainly the frail elderly and infirm, same government is charged to keep everyone from getting their feelings hurt, starting with the most sensitive.
Go Gophers
And the gov allows all of us to own assault rifles. I mean....

There's still quite a gap between not being concise ... and filtering everything through this "jargon/acronyms/narrative factory" that exists between your ears.
Please edit. Not concise enough.

There's still quite a gap between not being concise ... and filtering everything through this "jargon/acronyms/narrative factory" that exists between your ears.
I like PJ. Reminds me of a philosophy professor I had. He once told a 30 minute story about Pringles. They were his favorite snack he had ever had. Every day after work he would have 1 Pringle on his drive home. His son borrowed his car and ate them all. He never bought them again. That was the story but with so many different items tossed in. PJ says what he wants to say, regardless of question. I think he has an agenda to push and does a great job doing so.

I like PJ. Reminds me of a philosophy professor I had. He once told a 30 minute story about Pringles. They were his favorite snack he had ever had. Every day after work he would have 1 Pringle on his drive home. His son borrowed his car and ate them all. He never bought them again. That was the story but with so many different items tossed in. PJ says what he wants to say, regardless of question. I think he has an agenda to push and does a great job doing so.
How do you eat just 1 Pringle at a time? Seems impossible. I don't buy his story.

How do you eat just 1 Pringle at a time? Seems impossible. I don't buy his story.
He was a strange dude. I wouldn’t believe it either had I not known him. I had his class M-W-F from 2-3:30. The sun would shine later in the semester and he’d wax poetic as a philosophy prof would. You’d see people outside enjoying the weather. And then you’d drift off until he would end class. I learned nothing aside from some Jeopardy! answers that I surprise myself with from time to time. Or I learned everything. It’s hard to say.

There wasn’t a mic that PJ doesn’t like. 80% blabber and 20% substance in my view.
All in all, I thought he handled it pretty well. It's a presser to kick off Spring Ball, he kept the energy up, keep people engaged and excited; there's some things you're supposed to say in 2021, he took care of that. He hit on a few specifics of some positions but not too much. Love the enthusiasm of the DT group specifically, an area that's annually a weak spot and as he said, really tough to recruit.

I'm ready to hear more as Spring Ball moves forward!! Can't come soon enough!!

He was a strange dude. I wouldn’t believe it either had I not known him. I had his class M-W-F from 2-3:30. The sun would shine later in the semester and he’d wax poetic as a philosophy prof would. You’d see people outside enjoying the weather. And then you’d drift off until he would end class. I learned nothing aside from some Jeopardy! answers that I surprise myself with from time to time. Or I learned everything. It’s hard to say.
What class?

Some nonsense intro to philosophy I had to take. I didn’t attend Minnesota.
His favorite snack was Pringles, he only ate one a day, and punished himself by never eating them again because his son ate multiple pringles?

You gotta tell the story.

His favorite snack was Pringles, he only ate one a day, and punished himself by never eating them again because his son ate multiple pringles?

You gotta tell the story.
So as I remember it he said wasn’t much for snacks. Avid runner. I bet he was 70. He bought a can of Pringles because he had heard they were good. Opened them up and instantly loved them. Was his favorite snack ever. So he would eat one a day. I don’t remember the context for this story but once his son finished them there was some philosophic reason as to why he didn’t buy more. Again—unbelievable story but he was a former hippy turned philosophy prof. Strange dude but a good dude.

Well...this is about Spring Football:

Winning the SAC Championship with a last second FG!

The kicker is 5' 5" and 285

Well...this is about Spring Football:

Winning the SAC Championship with a last second FG!

The kicker is 5' 5" and 285

Wow....According to his bio, looks like he is a pretty good kicker. Also says he played 2 years of varsity soccer in high school...having a really hard time picturing that at his current size :)

So as I remember it he said wasn’t much for snacks. Avid runner. I bet he was 70. He bought a can of Pringles because he had heard they were good. Opened them up and instantly loved them. Was his favorite snack ever. So he would eat one a day. I don’t remember the context for this story but once his son finished them there was some philosophic reason as to why he didn’t buy more. Again—unbelievable story but he was a former hippy turned philosophy prof. Strange dude but a good dude.
I’m so intrigued by this. The guy refrained from eating his favorite snack because he son ate them?

I think the fact you either learned everything from him or nothing from him is a pretty good hook too.

Wow....According to his bio, looks like he is a pretty good kicker. Also says he played 2 years of varsity soccer in high school...having a really hard time picturing that at his current size :)
He might be able to kick, but can do this?

Attachments

• CCKs9dMUIAEWH-s.jpg
    CCKs9dMUIAEWH-s.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 28

I find it very strange that, for an athletic department that tends to be a little fish in the ocean of professional sports in Minnesota, the football program isn't allowing media coverage of spring practices. It's locked up tight. If anything needs to be open and hyped and promoted, it's Gopher spring practice. Seems like backward thinking to me.

I find it very strange that, for an athletic department that tends to be a little fish in the ocean of professional sports in Minnesota, the football program isn't allowing media coverage of spring practices. It's locked up tight. If anything needs to be open and hyped and promoted, it's Gopher spring practice. Seems like backward thinking to me.
We were one of the few teams to put our spring game on TV last year.

I don't think our program / PJ is short on PR awareness.

Really doubt the decision is up to PJ, and maybe even Coyle.

The only PR the Gophers need is to win their first game this fall.

Disagree. I think practices in general have been pretty closed off to fans and media outside of a few occasions and that really is how it should be.

The spring game can be a kind of fun event but I think people lose sight sometimes of the fact that it is just a glorified practice.

Disagree. I think practices in general have been pretty closed off to fans and media outside of a few occasions and that really is how it should be.

The spring game can be a kind of fun event but I think people lose sight sometimes of the fact that it is just a glorified practice.
Kinda not even a glorified practice, it eats practice time in favor of a game like show of sorts.... practice are usually run differently.

Also required practice link:

the real purpose of a "Spring Game" is to fire up the fans and sell tickets for the next season.

all of the real evaluation goes on at practice, which is mostly closed to the media. And believe me, no team is giving away any secrets at the Spring Game. You might pick up a few things on personnel groupings, or see which young player may be more likely to play, but there is no way on earth that any D1 coach is going to roll out a new formation or new scheme at the Spring Game.

I disagree, I think there is enough media coverage and open practices (in a normal year) to drive interest. If every practice was always open to spectators, going to a spring practice would stop being something exciting to do for non-diehard fans.

For example, my team at work has been doing a weekly virtual happy hour since WFH began, and I used to go, but it became a "If I miss this one, there's always next week" and eventually I stopped caring. If that happy hour were only monthly, I may have continued to go.

Top Bottom