Reality

That is where RP has failed. BEFORE the team is being blown out. Make the necessary adjustments.
Yep I agree with this. I think RP is good at developing a plan but can't make necessary in game adjustments if that plan isn't working.

I'm just baffled that the team couldn't have tried zone on Illinois or Michigan who were just killing us inside. Force some outside shots which can lead to rebounds and fast break points.

So would you say Pitino outcoached Izzo and Holtmann in those blow out wins? Izzo and Holtmann failed as they didnt make adjustments?
Basically, yes. Unless those teams dont have the personnel to compete.

MN does. Getting blown out on the road cant be acceptable. At least imo. In the first minutes of the second half against MI, RP could have taken a TO and stopped the tide. Made some adjustments.

Nothing.

Yep I agree with this. I think RP is good at developing a plan but can't make necessary in game adjustments if that plan isn't working.

I'm just baffled that the team couldn't have tried zone on Illinois or Michigan who were just killing us inside. Force some outside shots which can lead to rebounds and fast break points.
Agreed. Its apparent RP wont play a zone. Hasn't much over the 8 seasons.

Agreed. Its apparent RP wont play a zone. Hasn't much over the 8 seasons.
And I guess that's fine if your defense is working or you are able to adjust in game. After Cockburn killed them inside they adjusted well for Garza when we played Iowa but figure something out at halftime of Illinois. Don't figure it out days later.

Basically, yes. Unless those teams dont have the personnel to compete.

MN does. Getting blown out on the road cant be acceptable. At least imo. In the first minutes of the second half against MI, RP could have taken a TO and stopped the tide. Made some adjustments.

Nothing.

You are being consistent in also saying pitino outcoached izzo and holtmann. Respect for that.

Personally, I believe it is possible for a coach to do everything right and his team still play poorly. You will probably disagree with me on that.

You are being consistent in also saying pitino outcoached izzo and holtmann. Respect for that.

Personally, I believe it is possible for a coach to do everything right and his team still play poorly. You will probably disagree with me on that.
No, I agree with you on that.

To me, there is a large gap between playing poorly and being beat by mid 30 points, three road games in a row. You?

Getting beat by a better team is one thing - blasted out of the gym each road game is something much much different.

No, I agree with you on that.

To me, there is a large gap between playing poorly and being beat by mid 30 points, three road games in a row. You?

Getting beat by a better team is one thing - blasted out of the gym each road game is something much much different.

Again, credit for consistency in giving pitino credit for outcoaching izzo and holtmann while saying pitino was outcoached in the losses.

I think there could be other factors involved so would not necessarily say pitino, izzo, or holtmann were outcoached in those games. Maybe it was a talent issue? Maybe a team just played bad or good for reasons that have nothing to do with coaching? Maybe a team has a lot of new players and will take awhile to gel? We are 4-3 thru our gauntlet with two to go and of all things a lunardi 5 seed. Who'd have guessed that? A lot to feel good about including the coaching.

Again, credit for consistency in giving pitino credit for outcoaching izzo and holtmann while saying pitino was outcoached in the losses.

I think there could be other factors involved so would not necessarily say pitino, izzo, or holtmann were outcoached in those games. Maybe it was a talent issue? Maybe a team just played bad or good for reasons that have nothing to do with coaching? Maybe a team has a lot of new players and will take awhile to gel? We are 4-3 thru our gauntlet with two to go and of all things a lunardi 5 seed. Who'd have guessed that? A lot to feel good about including the coaching.
Other factors? Of course. Similar to any team or work group. Other teams face the same other factors, in general - agree?

Based on the margin of defeat on the road over the past 8 years, I feel something is really, really wrong with the approach. Good teams do no get down by 30-40 points and give up 40-10 opposition runs.

This has happened in 3 consecutive conference road games, golf.

Other factors? Of course. Similar to any team or work group. Other teams face the same other factors, in general - agree?

Based on the margin of defeat on the road over the past 8 years, I feel something is really, really wrong with the approach. Good teams do no get down by 30-40 points and give up 40-10 opposition runs.

This has happened in 3 consecutive conference road games, golf.

Doesnt appear that we are going to agree and i am certainly not going to predict a win at iowa. Hopefully we bounce back against Michigan and go from there.

Doesnt appear that we are going to agree and i am certainly not going to predict a win at iowa. Hopefully we bounce back against Michigan and go from there.
Do you agree that good teams do not get down 30-40 points, especially 3 consecutive road games?

Do you agree that good teams do not get down 30-40 points, especially 3 consecutive road games?

I am not sure how good we are. When i look at our team i am a bit flummoxed how we got to #16 in the nation. I worry that our players/coaches have thus far overachieved but our talent level will not allow us to have sustained success.

I am not sure how good we are. When i look at our team i am a bit flummoxed how we got to #16 in the nation. I worry that our players/coaches have thus far overachieved but our talent level will not allow us to have sustained success.
You dont have to know how good MN is to answer - do good teams get down 30-40 points in consecutive road games?

You dont have to know how good MN is to answer - do good teams get down 30-40 points in consecutive road games?

Do bad teams beat 4 ranked teams in a row at home? Including the #4 rated team in the country.

This is why i say i am not sure how good we are. I do know i am happy where we are at this point.

Do bad teams beat 4 ranked teams in a row at home? Including the #4 rated team in the country.

This is why i say i am not sure how good we are. I do know i am happy where we are at this point.
There is more to like than not like but i do not like being multiple games down to multiple teams in trying to win the conference. I like titles. Also do not like games where we give up points like they are free.

There is more to like than not like but i do not like being multiple games down to multiple teams in trying to win the conference. I like titles. Also do not like games where we give up points like they are free.

Where did you all of the sudden start with this "win the conference title" thing? Like a month ago you were bitching about Pitino and talking about how poor on defense this team was and how much better Wisconsin and others were.

We win a couple of games over ranked teams and all of the sudden the past two weeks you've been raving that we should win the Big Ten Conference championship.

We were never going to win the conference title. Why you thought that is beyond me.

Can we we be a solid NCAA tourney team? Yes. Big Ten title? Nope.

Where did you all of the sudden start with this "win the conference title" thing? Like a month ago you were bitching about Pitino and talking about how poor on defense this team was and how much better Wisconsin and others were.

We win a couple of games over ranked teams and all of the sudden the past two weeks you've been raving that we should win the Big Ten Conference championship.

We were never going to win the conference title. Why you thought that is beyond me.

Can we we be a solid NCAA tourney team? Yes. Big Ten title? Nope.
Never said we should win the conference but that we should contend for it and that i wanted the team to win it. Been bitching about the defense for 8 years and about not finishing ahead of UW even once in 8 years. I happen to like the talent on this team more than UW but Gard is far superior. My thoughts and my opinions. You have yours that we were never going to win the conference. Not knocking you for it and i am not speaking for you. I hand out criticism where i see fit and praise when worthy.

Any word on Robbins? I guess he got hurt on Wednesday. If he's out for Iowa we have less than zero chance.

Any word on Robbins? I guess he got hurt on Wednesday. If he's out for Iowa we have less than zero chance.

Oh great. Hadnt heard that. As long as he's back for Michigan.

I suppose a bad team could have a streak.
How many good teams give up consecutive blowouts?

Just depends on how each fan defines bad, average, good great. We have fans that think .500 every year and a sweet 16 every 5 tears is great. And there is nothing wrong with that. We have fans who only accept championships that are not the NIT. We have fans who cover everything in between. This is a wonderful place to coach. You really do not need to win anything important and you get to keep your job for a pretty long time.. Oh well, love the program and look forward to going to games. Putting aside Covid i do notice a great deal of apathy among my friends and fans who i talk with.

I wish we would see more of the movement that Purdue uses in their motion offense. The off the ball screening, curling, and the ball movement is how a half-court offense should operate. Minnesota's offense is dominated with dribbling and ball screening, though they have discovered the post entry to some degree. When MN make some perimeter shots they have a chance. When they don't fall it gets ugly. Great teams have a consistency to their game; MN lacks consistency.

I suppose a bad team could have a streak.
How many good teams give up consecutive blowouts?

Not sure which of those is more/less likely or that it matters. Cause for hope is earning the #16 ranking. Cause for worry is 3 of our starters playing subpar. I have no idea how the rest of the season will play out.

Not sure which of those is more/less likely or that it matters. Cause for hope is earning the #16 ranking. Cause for worry is 3 of our starters playing subpar. I have no idea how the rest of the season will play out.
Cause for worry is getting blown out to the tune of 30-40 points in three consecutive road games.

Never said we should win the conference but that we should contend for it and that i wanted the team to win it. Been bitching about the defense for 8 years and about not finishing ahead of UW even once in 8 years. I happen to like the talent on this team more than UW but Gard is far superior. My thoughts and my opinions. You have yours that we were never going to win the conference. Not knocking you for it and i am not speaking for you. I hand out criticism where i see fit and praise when worthy.
That's the fact, jack. We have better top players and, suddenly this year, better depth. But Gard and UW will contend for the conference title, and the Gophers probably won't (I would be so incredibly happy to be wrong about this as the coming weeks unfold).

That's the fact, jack. We have better top players and, suddenly this year, better depth. But Gard and UW will contend for the conference title, and the Gophers probably won't (I would be so incredibly happy to be wrong about this as the coming weeks unfold).
Name the better top players.

I have not given up finishing ahead of UW.

Top Bottom