Reality

Gopherbbdude

Reaction score
We are 4 and 3 in the last 7 games. If any of you tell me you wouldn't have taken that record before they played them......your lying.

10 - 3... ill take it

And yes.... these types of losses suck

We are 4 and 3 in the last 7 games. If any of you tell me you wouldn't have taken that record before they played them......your lying.

10 - 3... ill take it

Agreed - I also would say it would’ve been greaaaaaat to have one easier away game mixed in with the top 10 road contests.

gophers ranked 16th at home, and 50th on the road, which equals their net ranking

"These types" of losses are revealing. Most good teams are not outscored 40-10. Most good teams are not down by 30 plus points in multiple games, within days.

Teams are hedging and doubling on Carr and there is no plan to adjust, apparently.
The plan seemed to work against Ohio St where we got the ball inside and Robbins dominated. Just didn't seem to work today when they also had a very good Big to shut down the inside game as well. Michigan is a better team than us.

The plan seemed to work against Ohio St where we got the ball inside and Robbins dominated. Just didn't seem to work today when they also had a very good Big to shut down the inside game as well. Michigan is a better team than us.
Michigan is VERY good right now. The combination of great shooting (over 50% for the year) and smothering defense is going to be tough to beat for anyone. That said, we have been shown by them what winning basketball looks like. We are going to have to be tougher on both ends and move the ball better to win more consistently. Right now we are a matchup team. When teams play into our hands we are pretty good. When they play us tough on D- not so good as we have seen in the three bad losses.

I would love to see Carr reject the screen and go left once in a while. Or have the big slip screen or back door so they couldn’t over play the passing lanes so much...
Carr needs to learn to give up the ball early and run the offense. Work to get free without the ball and then make plays later in the shot clock as needed. He was much better against MSU and OSU but reverted some last night. Spacing was bad last night and we allowed Michigan to really bully us in the second half. This Michigan teams reminds me of the way a Huggins team plays but with better shooters.

Michigan is VERY good right now. The combination of great shooting (over 50% for the year) and smothering defense is going to be tough to beat for anyone. That said, we have been shown by them what winning basketball looks like. We are going to have to be tougher on both ends and move the ball better to win more consistently. Right now we are a matchup team. When teams play into our hands we are pretty good. When they play us tough on D- not so good as we have seen in the three bad losses.
Yep I agree. This team struggles when they are getting D'd up. They panic and start jacking shots or trying to do too much dribbling into traffic.

True.

Yes, and they have two very good bigs. The backup big (Johns) isn't too bad either.

We have played the three best teams on the road in the Big Ten (and about to be four on Sunday). Thats brutal.

Michigan has beaten Maryland and Nebraska on the road.

Let's see that balance out a bit before we hand out any titles or start writing off our season.

The issue continues to be when we run up against a good defense we get frustrated and end up not passing the ball while taking terrible shots. We are good, not great, which means we need good matchups. Ohio St 57th in def, Mich st 54th in def, Iowa 83rd meanwhile Mich 18 Wisc 7 Ill is 52nd so thats a bit of an outlier. We are a match-up based team. If we get into the tourney and play a team like say West Va, San Diego St, Virginia we are in deep trouble. If we play a team like Providence, Az St, Arkansas who is bad on defense we will likely roll them.

Rutgers, Missouri, and Virginia Tech have all lost this week. All were ranked. Duke just squeaked out a home win against Boston College last night. College basketball is hard if you aren't a top 5 team and even then you sometimes will have some lows.

The gophers sucked...really bad last night. Had they won they would have been a top 10 team nationally. I don't think that's who they are. They're a good team but not top 10.

They do need to figure these road games out though and at least be competitive. Man this is brutal to watch.

The issue continues to be when we run up against a good defense we get frustrated and end up not passing the ball while taking terrible shots. We are good, not great, which means we need good matchups.
I buy this.

So, is there anything that can be done?? Or do we just have to accept it?

The reality is this:
The Gophers are good. They aren't great. They've been throttled by 3 teams that play really good defense and have very capable big men to neutralize Robbins. All these games occurred on the road.
They will beat a lot of teams, they'll lose to some really good teams and make the NCAA tournament.
This is where I'm at on it all.

10 - 3... ill take it

No disputing that the current record is on high end of early-season expectations. Most fans will take it without being satisfied with the three non-competitive games on the road.

It really does come down to talent. Gach is a disappointment. I also expected Ihnen and Williams to be big contributors their second year. They are both disappointing. Mashburn is what you expect a decent freshman to be but not special.

Carr needs to learn to give up the ball early and run the offense. Work to get free without the ball and then make plays later in the shot clock as needed. He was much better against MSU and OSU but reverted some last night. Spacing was bad last night and we allowed Michigan to really bully us in the second half. This Michigan teams reminds me of the way a Huggins team plays but with better shooters.
Agree with this. I love what Carr brings to the offense but get very frustrated watching him try to get to the bucket with 2-3 people collapsing on him, early in the possession. This can work in the non-conference, against smaller teams but he will struggle doing this against the top B10 teams. The first several possessions of the 2nd half vs Michigan included 2 or 3 empty drives by Carr with little ball movement. I'm not banging on him, you take the good with the bad, would just like to see him not force it so much.

The way I see it, the Gophers go as Robbins goes. They were competitive in the first half when he was a factor, despite not playing well.

And yes, I am happy with their record as it stands now. If I'm honest, I was concerned conference win #1 was going to come vs Nebraska on 1/20. The huge losses on the road are very concerning. Need to find a way to bring the same confidence in shot making and intensity on defense to these road games as they do at home.

As I can’t disagree with you, I am satisfied with the 10-3 start against a very difficult slate of conference opponents. I am very disheartened by the effort on the road. Defense is an effort and engagement activity. Talk and work hard and you can effectively play team defense. The lack of effort and uninterested attitudes is what bothers me. I’ve seen enough of Gach. He’s not tough enough for the Big Ten. RP needs to find a way to light a fire under him. Losing is okay and happens but blowout losses in the fashion we have seen are unacceptable. They better leave it all on the floor at iowa win or lose.

We have played the three best teams on the road in the Big Ten (and about to be four on Sunday). Thats brutal.

Michigan has beaten Maryland and Nebraska on the road.

Let's see that balance out a bit before we hand out any titles or start writing off our season.
`Doesn't appear anyone is writing off the season.

Being embarrassed in all three road games is unacceptable. Averaging losing by 21 in those three. Being down by mid 30's is unacceptable. On the wrong end of at 40-10 run is unacceptable.

These things have been repeated in the road losses to one extent or another.

I buy this.

So, is there anything that can be done?? Or do we just have to accept it?
Well the logical thing is the coach needs to be better but I suppose I can't say that because that means I think hes the worst coach in D1 and he has never done anything good. Listen RP has done a good job this year with the team and assembling talent but we need to change things on offense against good defensive teams.

Mostly we need to find a better way to get Marcus open. In the 3 losses he shot 23% 23% and 31%. I dont know if thats playing him off the ball more and letting Gach create (which could maybe get him going too) but clearly him bring the ball up and doing the PnR isnt working against elite defenses.

Some of it too is your margin for error is smaller so you have to take advantage when you get a spot. Gabe got a WIDE open 3 last night, airballed it by a foot. Thats just a shot he has to make against a good defense when you get it.

I also think against good defenses a guy like Curry needs to play less, again I love the kid, but hes so limited on offense with his slow feet and lack of vertical that he just kind of takes up space. Has Ihnen, Tre or Gach been great no, but they at least can offer some variety, they can get shots or dribble drive.

Outside of the horrid offense I think our defense was just way off too last night...it felt like we were playing well early on but Michigan shot like 60% from the field. It's hard to score points if you're never on the fast break from missed shots.

You can't just let the team you're playing make layups and dunks all game and expect to just do the same on the other end.

`Doesn't appear anyone is writing off the season.

Being embarrassed in all three road games is unacceptable. Averaging losing by 21 in those three. Being down by mid 30's is unacceptable. On the wrong end of at 40-10 run is unacceptable.

These things have been repeated in the road losses to one extent or another.

I wonder if that is what Tom Izzo and Chris Holtmann said after we embarrassed their ranked teams at The Barn?

here's what I don't get. Pitino has said repeatedly that the more the team passes the ball, the better they look.

So why in the bleep do they get into these offensive black holes where they quit passing the ball?

Does every player on the team have that thing from "Memento" where they have no short-term memory?

Do they have to be told before every possession to pass the ball?

Or do the Gophers have the dumbest team in the history of organized basketball?

I know Carr is their best player. but when your PG stops passing the ball, he needs to sit on the bench for a while. If the coach is unwilling or unable to discipline his best player, the rest of the team will see it and act accordingly.

here's what I don't get. Pitino has said repeatedly that the more the team passes the ball, the better they look.

So why in the bleep do they get into these offensive black holes where they quit passing the ball?

Does every player on the team have that thing from "Memento" where they have no short-term memory?

Do they have to be told before every possession to pass the ball?

Or do the Gophers have the dumbest team in the history of organized basketball?

I know Carr is their best player. but when your PG stops passing the ball, he needs to sit on the bench for a while. If the coach is unwilling or unable to discipline his best player, the rest of the team will see it and act accordingly.
The passing was really lazy and poor last night. Gach and company couldn't do the simplest handoffs or entry passes all game. Tough to move the ball when they couldn't.

Top Bottom