Reality

here's what I don't get. Pitino has said repeatedly that the more the team passes the ball, the better they look.

So why in the bleep do they get into these offensive black holes where they quit passing the ball?

Does every player on the team have that thing from "Memento" where they have no short-term memory?

Do they have to be told before every possession to pass the ball?

Or do the Gophers have the dumbest team in the history of organized basketball?

I know Carr is their best player. but when your PG stops passing the ball, he needs to sit on the bench for a while. If the coach is unwilling or unable to discipline his best player, the rest of the team will see it and act accordingly.
I think you're highlighting something I noticed from last night. When Richard cleared the bench, the bench players didn't move the ball either ... just dribbled around to get off a shot

here's what I don't get. Pitino has said repeatedly that the more the team passes the ball, the better they look.

So why in the bleep do they get into these offensive black holes where they quit passing the ball?

Does every player on the team have that thing from "Memento" where they have no short-term memory?

Do they have to be told before every possession to pass the ball?

Or do the Gophers have the dumbest team in the history of organized basketball?

I know Carr is their best player. but when your PG stops passing the ball, he needs to sit on the bench for a while. If the coach is unwilling or unable to discipline his best player, the rest of the team will see it and act accordingly.

Its easy to pass a lot against bad defenses.

Michigan picking Carr up fullcourt with different guys was smart. He was out of sorts. I think we’ll see it again and again until they have a plan to beat it.

Michigan picking Carr up fullcourt with different guys was smart. He was out of sorts. I think we’ll see it again and again until they have a plan to beat it.

Boy, you definitely could see that last night. Lazy passes and failures to move toward the ball routinely were punished by Michigan.

Boy, you definitely could see that last night. Lazy passes and failures to move toward the ball routinely were punished by Michigan.

It was a lot of people doing it too, which is a problem.

Gabe threw a pass like they were practicing the offense 5 on 0, and it went for a layup the other way. Carr had a couple. Everyone did, really. The ball has to move around, but with a purpose. Making 8 passes means nothing if they passes are 8ft outside the 3pt line

Michigan also made it incredibly difficult to get the ball in the paint too and when we did they were allowed to play very physical. We expected more calls and didn't get them. We didn't respond to this and didn't play physical on the other end either. All we did was settle for more outside shots that weren't falling and lousy looks inside.

Michigan also made it incredibly difficult to get the ball in the paint too and when we did they were allowed to play very physical. We expected more calls and didn't get them. We didn't respond to this and didn't play physical on the other end either. All we did was settle for more outside shots that weren't falling and lousy looks inside.

Agreed but relying on calls to have your offense work is a problem. We legitimately get crushed if we don't dominate at the free throw line. Carr couldn't get cooking at all. Hard to watch. Its why I turned it off.

They need to play a good game against Iowa...I'm not expecting them to win but they need to be in the game.

They need to play a good game against Iowa...I'm not expecting them to win but they need to be in the game.
I’m kind of expecting to get blown out, which I would be fine with as I still expect to half a top half finish in the Big Ten regardless of whether that happens or not.

I actually feel better about playing Michigan at home next week then I do about Iowa this week.

I’m kind of expecting to get blown out, which I would be fine with as I still expect to half a top half finish in the Big Ten regardless of whether that happens or not.

I actually feel better about playing Michigan at home next week then I do about Iowa this week.

If I was a betting man, I'd throw everything I could afford on Iowa.

Agreed but relying on calls to have your offense work is a problem. We legitimately get crushed if we don't dominate at the free throw line. Carr couldn't get cooking at all. Hard to watch. Its why I turned it off.
I don't disagree. I doubt that was their intention either. I think they were legitimately thrown off by the physicality and never recovered.

I don't disagree. I doubt that was their intention either. I think they were legitimately thrown off by the physicality and never recovered.

Just funny how things change from game to game. Holtmann's big takeaway from their game against us was how OSU just couldnt match our physicality at all levels.

Last edited:

The plan seemed to work against Ohio St where we got the ball inside and Robbins dominated. Just didn't seem to work today when they also had a very good Big to shut down the inside game as well. Michigan is a better team than us.
This. If you compared our starting five to Michigan’s position-by-position, Carr is the only one that gets the check-mark in the MN column. Simple as that. Hard to win when you are significantly out-talented. With that said, the margin of victory was ridiculous, and is evidence of poor play on our part.

I've been surprised that other teams haven't done the same thing. Wear him down and make him play the full floor. Mashburn used to do the same thing but RP must have told him to stand down.

It seemed to me that Michigan had much better passing lanes and angles than did the Gophers.

I've been surprised that other teams haven't done the same thing. Wear him down and make him play the full floor. Mashburn used to do the same thing but RP must have told him to stand down.

It seemed to me that Michigan had much better passing lanes and angles than did the Gophers.

Washburn was fairly ineffective at it I thought. Michigan did a nice job rotating players on Carr and making him uncomfortable. Sped the game up for him which is rarely a good thing.

Record will always get worse the more points you give up. Be better at basketball
Exactly, play defense. When you have less talent then the teams you play against you better play great defense as that is the most reliable way to compete. Shots come and go but defense can and should be there nearly every game. Our defensive ppp has been about 10th in the conference over 8 years.

The plan seemed to work against Ohio St where we got the ball inside and Robbins dominated. Just didn't seem to work today when they also had a very good Big to shut down the inside game as well. Michigan is a better team than us.
When the plan failed against Illinois and last night, then what?

When the plan failed against Illinois and last night, then what?
Yeah it's hard to tell what their plan is in those blowouts. They just dribble and jack BS shots when they get down by a few possessions. Ohio st you could totally see it working though

Reality is the season is young. We got clobbered in 3 road games but for all the bravado about the conference being loaded or second half of the season has plenty of mediocre teams. There are 4 teams near the top are really good, maybe one is good enough to go 17-3. What this does is heavy damage to win the conference and also makes finishing ahead of UW (my other goal ) a huge challenge.

We are 4 and 3 in the last 7 games. If any of you tell me you wouldn't have taken that record before they played them......your lying.

10 - 3... ill take it

And yes.... these types of losses suck

it’s ok to hold a coach to the minimum standard this silver spoon Pinocchio will never amount to. Born into it and accomplished zilch.
The bootlicking here is kind of a shock. Pitino is a wet blanket.

it’s ok to hold a coach to the minimum standard this silver spoon Pinocchio will never amount to. Born into it and accomplished zilch.
The bootlicking here is kind of a shock. Pitino is a wet blanket.

why wet blanket? seems more dry blanket to me.

I think we're sitting in an okay position, but...

It's clear to my eyes that this is a talented team. I'm excited as hell about what they're capable of accomplishing, but the inconsistency, defensive lapses, periods of non-offense, and too many unforced turnovers make me feel like we're leaving opportunities on the table.

I'll be honest: depending on how this season plays out, this might end up being the biggest indictment of Pitino as a coach. This team has the goods. They're VERY talented. They should be capable of a top-5 finish and conference title contention.

But, what's past is prologue. The league title and a top NCAA seed are still there for the taking.

Gophers still have (current NET numbers) 8 quad 1 opportunities with 3 others just barely on the outside of being Quad 1 opportunities.

Crazy to think about what the resume could look like.

Top Bottom