Post Game Thread: Minnesota Loses Again to Iowa

What did mason put in the trophy case?
You know the answer because I told you yesterday. Mason was 4-6 vs Iowa. Fleck is 0-5.

I know some here find math difficult. I never put you in that camp.

Fleck is a poser that can bs the media and some fans. And, apparently, Coyle too.

Floyd four times, the Axe twice, and the Jug once.
You'll never get the jock sniffers to admit Mason was a better coach. Every time the Gophs lose, we have a significant number of posters here that blame the OC rather than poinbting the finger at the HC.

Some fans on this forum just can't admit they were wrong and concede PJ Fleck is not the long term answer.

But hey... RTB... all the way to the bank when PJ steals more $$$ from the athletic budget.

You'll never get the jock sniffers to admit Mason was a better coach. Every time the Gophs lose, we have a significant number of posters here that blame the OC rather than poinbting the finger at the HC.

Some fans on this forum just can't admit they were wrong and concede PJ Fleck is not the long term answer.

But hey... RTB... all the way to the bank when PJ steals more $$$ from the athletic budget.
Screenshot_20211113-203421_Chrome.jpg

You know the answer because I told you yesterday. Mason was 4-6 vs Iowa. Fleck is 0-5.

I know some here find math difficult. I never put you in that camp.

Fleck is a poser that can bs the media and some fans. And, apparently, Coyle too.
I'm not sure comparing records vs Iowa is apples to apples. Iowa went through a down period at the end of Hayden Frye where Mason racked up some wins.

Iowa can laugh all they want, but I"ve never understood the Iowa love. They never win anything that matters.

Well, we can't beat a team that never wins anything that matters. So, what does that make us?

I'm not sure comparing records vs Iowa is apples to apples. Iowa went through a down period at the end of Hayden Frye where Mason racked up some wins.
And this is the kind of "excuse making" that I'm referring to.

At the end of the day, the only thing people remember is "Who Won" and "Who Lost".

Nothing changes the fact that Mason was 4-6 and PJ is 0-5.

I imagine guys like Ferentz and Chryst love playing the Gophers. Fleck finds new ways to lose every year. PJ is marginally better than Mason. The difference is insignificant.

But the U is paying Fleck way more to lose to Iowa than they paid Glen Mason. I can see how the Fleckster is able to afford those snazzy threads. $5M buys a lot of blazers with the "Block M" and the picture of the canoe.

I don't think the Gophers played bad today, for the most part. 80% of the time they win with that statistical profile.

It just sucks because it's Iowa, and it's 7 in a row now, and we're all hungry for a breakthrough.

Re point 1: Morgan throwing to Kieft when he could’ve walked into the end zone.
Which play was this?
On the two point conversion it looked liked MBS was wide open.

I’m maybe the only one here that thought giving the Dragon a chance at the long field goal was worth a shot.

On a positive note I thought the OLine and Dline kicked ass and that the running game had a wrinkle this week that worked well.

I will say this: Mason's OFFENSE was miles ahead of this one and his running attack was unstoppable by even the nation's best rush defenses. Mason also beat every team in the Big Ten at least once!! He had major shortcomings with his defenses though and Fleck's defenses are better. That is why Mason's teams had so many meltdowns and last minute losses -- those were tough to take!!

Is the play that people are mentioning Morgan should have run it in the second and third down plays on what would be the first fg drive?

At the end of the day, the only thing people remember is "Who Won" and "Who Lost".

I imagine guys like Ferentz and Chryst love playing the Gophers. Fleck finds new ways to lose every year. PJ is marginally better than Mason. The difference is insignificant.

But the U is paying Fleck way more to lose to Iowa than they paid Glen Mason. I can see how the Fleckster is able to afford those snazzy threads. $5M buys a lot of blazers with the "Block M" and the picture of the canoe.
You have nothing to say when Minnesota wins and Iowa loses. But you’re all over this board when the opposite happens.

Since PJ has been here, this is the placement of Iowa and Wisconsin.

2017: 1st and 3rd
2018 2nd and 3rd
2019:1st and 3rd
2020: 2nd and 3rd
2021: probably 1st and 2nd

The idea that losing to the top teams in the division is shocking and unexpected is hilarious.
If they were 4th and 7th or 3rd and 5th and PJ had the same record, we could all be more concerned.

The reason he hasn't beaten them more often is because these are generally top of the division teams. It's not that hard to see that.

IF PJ had the reverse record on these teams, he'd have 2-3 west titles out right. Instead he has one shared.

I will say this: Mason's OFFENSE was miles ahead of this one and his running attack was unstoppable by even the nation's best rush defenses. Mason also beat every team in the Big Ten at least once!! He had major shortcomings with his defenses though and Fleck's defenses are better. That is why Mason's teams had so many meltdowns and last minute losses -- those were tough to take!!
The excuse that I expect we'll hear at the end of the season will be the running back injuries.

The problem with that is every program in the country deals with injuries.

Fleck has had one good year in the five years he's been here. For some... that's elevated him to sainthood. For those of us that have seen head coaches come and go over the years at the U, Fleck is just the latest bust.

The problem is this HC will set the U back for many years with the horrible contract extension. This year's recruiting class was already not very good. Games like the last two weeks aren't helping. The transfer portal might plug a few holes on the field but maybe Coyle gets lucky and finds a new HC in the "portal".

Reading your posts makes me wonder how hard you must be working to suck intelligence out of your head before posting this crap, or if this is legitimately something you think is a worthy post worth posting to share with the world.

The excuse that I expect we'll hear at the end of the season will be the running back injuries.

The problem with that is every program in the country deals with injuries.

Fleck has had one good year in the five years he's been here. For some... that's elevated him to sainthood. For those of us that have seen head coaches come and go over the years at the U, Fleck is just the latest bust.

The problem is this HC will set the U back for many years with the horrible contract extension. This year's recruiting class was already not very good. Games like the last two weeks aren't helping. The transfer portal might plug a few holes on the field but maybe Coyle gets lucky and finds a new HC in the "portal".

Yeh, every team loses their top 5 RB's including their #1 best player for 11 games.
Just look down the rosters. Happening everywhere.

Ohio State, Michigan, Purdue, Wisconsin, Nebraska.... well, not actually true I guess.

Again, is this really how your brain works, or are you trolling?

You have nothing to say when Minnesota wins and Iowa loses. But you’re all over this board when the opposite happens.
I beg to differ. We all know Iowa is not as good as their record looks. And I could give a crap about what you think.

What I don't understand is why some can't admit Fleck is a very poor game manager. You've carried Fleck's jock from the day he arrived. Why?

Minnesota lost to an Iowa team that got curb stomped by Purdue and Wisconsin. What do you think Wisconsin is going to do to us? Our best win is over a 6-4 Purdue team. We get embarrassed at home by BG. It's pretty easy, and certainly justified, to criticize the Gophers when we heard all the pre season hype from the Fleckster.

I beg to differ. We all know Iowa is not as good as their record looks. And I could give a crap about what you think.

What I don't understand is why some can't admit Fleck is a very poor game manager. You've carried Fleck's jock from the day he arrived. Why?

Minnesota lost to an Iowa team that got curb stomped by Purdue and Wisconsin. What do you think Wisconsin is going to do to us? Our best win is over a 6-4 Purdue team. We get embarrassed at home by BG. It's pretty easy, and certainly justified, to criticize the Gophers when we heard all the pre season hype from the Fleckster.

Iowa and Wisconsin are 1 and 2 in the division.

Reading your posts makes me wonder how hard you must be working to suck intelligence out of your head before posting this crap, or if this is legitimately something you think is a worthy post worth posting to share with the world.
I don't have to work hard at all. I watch Gopher games and anyone with an ounce of objectivity can see how bad the coaching has been.

And calling out someone who points it out apparently bothers you. I'm like a lot of people that saw all the upperclassmen on the roster at the beginning of the season and thought 2021 might be special. But I also recognized Fleck had only had one good season in his first four here. So I was cautious.

Maybe I was right and you were wrong?

Run offense was awesome. Offensive line opened holes. Ky Thomas was making the right cuts and ran hard. He’s going to be really good.

Pass offense…Morgan is a shell of his former self. Overly amped up. The opposite of 2019 Morgan. He either needs a new OC/coach or a sports psychologist. Something is broken there. Connor Olson’s whiff on Van Valkenberg leading to the sack and 4th and 17 at the end of the game was a killer. However, there was obvious defensive holding NOT called on that stunt. As per usual officials seemed to give a slight edge to Iowa at times. I’m sure Iowa fans disagree.

MBS has IMO 50/50 hands. You just never know if he's going to catch the ball even if he’s clean. Not ready to give up on him by any means but we need a better complementary player for CAB. Where was Wright?

Defensive play was good 95% of time but breakdowns were the dagger. Walley getting burned by Iowa’s speedster. The ridiculous missed tackles in the backfield leading to the long Iowa TD while 99 looked on...brutal. Iowa made the plays so hats off to them.

Missed interceptions….

Not a fan of 50+ yard fgs unless it’s the end of game.

Heartbreaker game. I had resigned myself a little to this so doesn’t hurt as much as prior years but oh so close once again.

The biggest positive from today, as per the wishes of the fans...PJ Fleck used all three of his 2nd half time outs against Iowa.

Small victories!

I forgot to mention draining the clock yet again, the unforced delay of game penalty, and so on.

That isn’t good, when losing.

Which play was this?

I’m maybe the only one here that thought giving the Dragon a chance at the long field goal was worth a shot.

On a positive note I thought the OLine and Dline kicked ass and that the running game had a wrinkle this week that worked well.
My bad. I was referring to the missed throw in the first quarter. Went back and watched the play again and he definitely couldn’t have run that one in.

There's a lot of frustration with various things Fleck, Sanford, and Morgan did and have done the past couple games.

For me, the worst one of all has been going on for two years - the incessant checking with the sideline. It kills tempo and momentum and makes the Gophers even slower to catch up in games. They seem unable to adjust out of it, no matter the situation. It's led to many delay or near-delay penalties. There's no evidence it improves performance at all. Tanner did much better without it in 2019. It's ugly to watch as a fan.

I doubt it's Tanner's idea, and it started when Sanford got here, so I'm pinning it on him.
I was wondering about this incessant checking with the sidelines, which I agree is very frustrating. So, Ciarocca didn’t do this?

Sadly, I’ve discovered that my fandom is finally grinding down to being a more casual fan. I’ve been a diehard since being a U of M student in the 80’s. Losing any game would really bum me out for that weekend. But, that has changed this year. I hit that point with Vikings after their 2009 playoff loss to the Saints. Now days, a Vikings loss has basically zero impact on my mood after the game. I’m not quite there with the Gophers, but I‘m feeling the slide.

Funny because that's exactly what I said when Iowa was undefeated and you went on and on about how great they were.

Listened to Gaard's show on KFAN this morning. Ryan Burns was on for about 30 minutes. during that time, he said at least 5 or 6 times that "Tanner Morgan cannot be the QB of this team going forward."

but the thing that absolutely jumped out to me:
at one point, Gaard said, regarding the Gophers - "being the 3rd-best team in the Big Ten West isn't a bad thing."

Boy, put that on a bumper sticker and send it out to the recruits.

Which play was this?

I think that there are games and/or situations in which giving Dragan a chance to nail a 55 yarder make a lot of sense. But in a tight field position battle, lining up for a very low percentage FG (even if not blocked), rather than pinning Iowa inside its own 20, is a high-risk, low-return bet. The block, of course, was a big momentum changer. Gave Iowa new life. Part of the high risk aspect of this low possibility of success bet.

Top Bottom