Post Game Thread: Minnesota Loses Again to Iowa

We lost to BGSU and IL, as 2-TD+ favorites, at home. We are simply not good. This loss wasn’t surprising nor will the one in two weeks be. Next week is basically a toss up.

It has been forever since I posted, but holy shit is Fleck a bad game coach. I don't know what happened to him, but he has become a completely gutless....Dude has essentially a lifetime contract here and he pulls that today on the road against a good team that we haven't beaten since the 90's at their place. Absolutely ridiculous.

The whole sequence from the dumb field goal try to that missed tackle Iowa TD is the most Minnesota thing ever. It’s why we continue to lose these games. Tanner overthrew lots of balls today and he should have run that one in for a TD. Unreal! I’m despondent right now. It’s a lost season but I’ll never quit being a fan and I’ll be in the stands in two weeks. Let’s win the last two games and try and salvage something.

Why is Sanford not held accountable. His offense is so impotent.

At least Leidner could run. And once Nelson was gone, Kill didn't really have any better options. (That's his fault too obviously.) Fleck has better options and refuses to use them.
Yeah I really like Morgan as a person. Seems like a perfect kid, but you have to try somebody else at this point. This loss today was so disappointing, but to be expected when you root for this program.

Yeah I really like Morgan as a person. Seems like a perfect kid, but you have to try somebody else at this point. This loss today was so disappointing, but to be expected when you root for this program.
Like Tanner as a guy too. And none of this is lack of effort or anything. He's just regressed badly for whatever reason. And Sanford is most likely the cause, not the cure.

Great kid, does not need to play QB in the B1G

4 abysmal plays
The field try
Morgan misssinf open crab on third down when we could have taken control.
the missed tackle td
Morgan taking a fumble sack on last play.

There's a lot of frustration with various things Fleck, Sanford, and Morgan did and have done the past couple games.

For me, the worst one of all has been going on for two years - the incessant checking with the sideline. It kills tempo and momentum and makes the Gophers even slower to catch up in games. They seem unable to adjust out of it, no matter the situation. It's led to many delay or near-delay penalties. There's no evidence it improves performance at all. Tanner did much better without it in 2019. It's ugly to watch as a fan.

I doubt it's Tanner's idea, and it started when Sanford got here, so I'm pinning it on him.

Score was 13 to 10 when my son, don't worry its the Gophers.

It's no longer on Sanford or Morgan. It's on the HC for allowing them to continue.
This makes sense.

Flecks inability to play the best players, take charge and bench the ones who arent performing, just the inability to be a leader when the team needs one in key games/moments is inexcusable.

Fleck cares way too much about hurting the feelings of players who he is really close with, despite them not being the best player

There's really not much to say. This was a soul-crushing loss. MN wins the game 95% of the time with those stats. This was one of the 5%...and of course it was, because Minnesota. I'm tired and sad fellas. We can nitpick everything we want, but I'm basically here for therapy after games like this.

The offense is designed to have no flow or momentum. You bust off a run for 16 yards, go to the line and make your line stand there for 25 seconds while we F around and destroy any rhythm we had.

The only point of it is to make our coaching staff feel like they are really examining things and figuring things out. And if you have watched this offense at all, that is only in their own heads as this bunch can't make an adjustment to save their lives.

There's a lot of frustration with various things Fleck, Sanford, and Morgan did and have done the past couple games.

For me, the worst one of all has been going on for two years - the incessant checking with the sideline. It kills tempo and momentum and makes the Gophers even slower to catch up in games. They seem unable to adjust out of it, no matter the situation. It's led to many delay or near-delay penalties. There's no evidence it improves performance at all. Tanner did much better without it in 2019. It's ugly to watch as a fan.

I doubt it's Tanner's idea, and it started when Sanford got here, so I'm pinning it on him.
It’s just so pointless.

Gophers won the turnover battle 1-0; our time of possession was a staggering 40:34 vs 19:26 for Iowa; we ran 83 plays to Iowa’s 49 plays; we had 409 yards of offense (430 before Tanner’s -21) to Iowa’s 277 yards.

Statistically it doesn’t even seem possible that we could have lost the game. Iowa made a few key plays to win; we made very few key plays (and got some critical sacks). But the inherent conservatism of our play early in the game, especially in the red zone and on ST receiving, and our inability to perform in the clutch, mixed with a few questionable and weirdly non-conservative calls (55 yard FG attempt in very close game?), managed to squander this statistically dominant performance and make it seem deflating.

TM did not have a good game, especially in the clutch. But our OC and HC had poor outings, too.

Last edited:

Our kicking game delivered one turnover. Our qb took sacks and threw a ton of incompletions. We played well in areas but did not outplay Iowa.

Iowa is laughing at Minnesota...crap program. Will never be a true winner.
Iowa can laugh all they want, but I"ve never understood the Iowa love. They never win anything that matters.

We have lost two games in a row to teams that we should have dog walked

Top Bottom