Post Game Thread: Minnesota Loses Again to Iowa

Going into the Iowa Game, the Gophers were 122nd of 130 teams in passing offense. There is no excuse for that in the fifth year of a program. Fry went to the Rose Bowl his third year after a total rebuild; Alvarez went to the Rose Bowl his fourth year. Both founded programs that have been successful for decades. We just don't seem able to do that.
Fry and Alvarez were good coach. PJ is shit

Fleck is close to losing it all. His loyalty to Tanner and Sanford will be his undoing. Mediocrity will start to diminish his recruiting classes. He has the talent right now but he has the wrong pieces in place. The talent won’t be there if he continues down this path.

Fleck in the post game on KFAN was obviously bummed, said missed tackle on the screen pass where they scored a touchdown is inexcusable. On kicking field goals….you take points when you can get them you don’t know how things are going to turn out. Didn’t say it’s on me or anything of the sorts. Maybe one day he will learn his lesson when it comes to the offense.
Like if Durr makes that tackle they win. What a f’in joke. PJ, I thought field goals would win this game.

Two things brutally disappointing
Passing game
Decision to try insane field goal
that field goal kicking was borderline lunacy. Shouldn't he have someone to tell him this is really really dumb idea? Does he only have lackeys on his coaching crew? Ppl on this board don't get paid millions or hundred of thousands of $$ to see it is a horrible thing to do. Where are the rest of his members? Where the fuck are they?

Sanford broke Morgan like many thought he would. I've been in denial, but there's no denying it now. The passing game is broken. I don't pin this loss on the in-game coaching so much as missed opportunities...95% of them on O:
  • Morgan missing Kieft in the endzone
  • Morgan overthrowing CAB on a 3rd and 6
  • CAB and MBS not coming down with catchable balls late
  • Morgan not seeing MBS wide open on the last drive
  • Morgan running right into a sack on the final play
Two missed INTs on D, a horrible decision to kick a long FG, and a couple questionable calls by the refs, but the above are the reasons for the loss. This one hurts BAD. Dominated the trenches on both sides. If you just looked at the boxscore you'd say MN won by 17. I'm sick. I'm tired.
Re point 1: Morgan throwing to Kieft when he could’ve walked into the end zone.

Sanford broke Morgan like many thought he would. I've been in denial, but there's no denying it now. The passing game is broken. I don't pin this loss on the in-game coaching so much as missed opportunities...95% of them on O:
  • Morgan missing Kieft in the endzone
  • Morgan overthrowing CAB on a 3rd and 6
  • CAB and MBS not coming down with catchable balls late
  • Morgan not seeing MBS wide open on the last drive
  • Morgan running right into a sack on the final play
Two missed INTs on D, a horrible decision to kick a long FG, and a couple questionable calls by the refs, but the above are the reasons for the loss. This one hurts BAD. Dominated the trenches on both sides. If you just looked at the boxscore you'd say MN won by 17. I'm sick. I'm tired.
Add the missed tackle on the screen that led to a TD and the horrible 2pt play call. Opportunities were there to win this game but team didn’t get it done.

PJ just gave the "we came closer to beating Iowa than last year. It's a step forward" line. Really PJ? Pathetic.
He keeps saying this because our fanbase is more than happy to have one good year in which we lost to both IA and WI. Still only one win against rivals. Not asking Kill to come back. At least we can see more trophies when he was here.

We can win last 2 games. Just need better qb play and WR play. Anything will be an improvement.

Durr just went from being drafted in round 6 to an undrafted rookie. Sad

We can win last 2 games. Just need better qb play and WR play. Anything will be an improvement.
Iowa has to lose it’s last two and we have to win our last two to win the WEST. It’s not going to happen.

Fleck is close to losing it all. His loyalty to Tanner and Sanford will be his undoing. Mediocrity will start to diminish his recruiting classes. He has the talent right now but he has the wrong pieces in place. The talent won’t be there if he continues down this path.
Jerry Kill did the same thing. Man how fast we forget just how bad Leidner was, but Kill did the same with him too.

I've had nightmares from which I awakened screaming that were less horrifying than seeing some left-footed kicker I didn't know existed line up for a 53 yard FG attempt.

If they can show they have a somewhat coherent Offense that will progress. Spinmaster PJ and his followers can spin all they want. But winning B1G is out of the question.

I don’t care about winning the west anymore. We are not a big ten champ worthy team but we can win our last 2 games.

PJs next qb needs to be something or he is in trouble.

Then he needs to change it before someone changes it for him.
Oh someone is going to change it for him. He is rather arrogant with his approach. No one in his current staff member saying anything to him when he is doing stupid in-game decisions. Kicking FG on that drive was borderline lunacy. No other way to put it. Yet no one ? No one within his crew tell him straight up this is bad PJ. Those decisions get coaches fired. When you're doing ok ppl will overlook those. But when things go south, those will stick out like a sore thumb.

PJ doesn't learn. 2 years ago he tries a prayer FG with an inxperienced kicker in Iowa City. This year he repeats the same mistake. In general he tried to out conservative Iowa which is just a ridiculous strategy.

The extension was inexcusable 10 days ago. It looks absolutely program crushing now. Really looking forward to PJ trying to sell a "rebuild" after 2 bad years in a row and (what will be) 6 straight losses to the border schools. They are not rivalries, they are exhibitions. Pathetic.

Jerry Kill did the same thing. Man how fast we forget just how bad Leidner was, but Kill did the same with him too.
At least Leidner could run. And once Nelson was gone, Kill didn't really have any better options. (That's his fault too obviously.) Fleck has better options and refuses to use them.

Top Bottom