Poll: Who should be QB1 vs Northwestern?

Poll: Who should be QB1 vs Northwestern?

• Tanner Morgan

Votes: 30 10.2%
  • Athan Kaliakmanis

Votes: 263 89.8%

• Total voters
And how about if Morgan had not been injured at the end of the half?

Same answer, and for the same reason. The offense was not moving the ball, and needed a spark.

And I'm glad it worked. I was impressed with how much better the entire team looked once the change was made.

Nebraska runs a 3-4 defense, a lot like Wisconsin. I'm pretty that is correct, as of X years ago (not too long, but recent-ish).

Iowa runs more of a Pro-style 4-3 defense.

I was thinking more along the lines of Wisconsin plays better defense on an individual, and team level with their “chaos” approach, than Nebraska. Maybe Nebraska is better than I think? Maybe Wisconsin is worse. Thats what’s great about college ball. We don’t know till they play the games.

Iowa worries me right now. Will have antacids handy.

His pocket presence and ability to throw on the run will make these receivers better. Immediately brought a different vibe to the offense.

I agree with the bolded, but it’s possible to draw overly broad conclusions based on small sample sizes. I am guilty of this as well at times.

I agree with the bolded, but it’s possible to draw overly broad conclusions based on small sample sizes. I am guilty of this as well at times.
Yep, but PSU and yesterday are enough to know that is a differentiator between Morgan and Athan.

Last edited:

Same answer, and for the same reason. The offense was not moving the ball, and needed a spark.

And I'm glad it worked. I was impressed with how much better the entire team looked once the change was made.
I agree totally. And we might both agree Morgan would have been out there for the second half if not injured. Speculation based on history.

But
you can start to draw conclusions-- all subject to change-- based on available sample.

But

you can start to draw conclusions-- all subject to change-- based on available sample.

Yes, Athan has tools. He converted with his legs and arm despite the receiver’s best efforts at times…

No argument there.

He used QB1 and QB2. He didn't say Tanner and Athan.

I think -- indeed the exact point of the thread -- Athan should be QB1, going forward.

Maybe, but not going to sweat it. I've been around long enough to know how popular back up is.

AK won't solve all our issues, but for 30 minutes shows he can help
Always the fan favorite

Always the fan favorite
I think this theme has been beaten to death several times. Nobody talked about the backup QB in 2019. It started the next two years even though most people could see no quarterback could pass the ball with Sanford's game plan and play calling.

I think this theme has been beaten to death several times. Nobody talked about the backup QB in 2019. It started the next two years even though most people could see no quarterback could pass the ball with Sanford's game plan and play calling.
It’s because Morgan has not played well on a consistent basis since 2019.

But - let's not ignore the elephant in the room.

It's not about what you or I think. it's not about what the media thinks.

It's about what Fleck thinks.

Until I see evidence to the contrary, I believe that Fleck will not bench a starter for reasons of poor performance.

ergo, if the medical staff says Morgan is cleared to play, he will play.

That's NOT what I would do, but I'm not the one making the decision. Fleck is making the decision.
and Morgan is Fleck's #1 guy. I just don't believe that Fleck would bench a healthy Morgan.

I could be wrong. we shall see.

But - let's not ignore the elephant in the room.

It's not about what you or I think. it's not about what the media thinks.

It's about what Fleck thinks.

Until I see evidence to the contrary, I believe that Fleck will not bench a starter for reasons of poor performance.

ergo, if the medical staff says Morgan is cleared to play, he will play.

That's NOT what I would do, but I'm not the one making the decision. Fleck is making the decision.
and Morgan is Fleck's #1 guy. I just don't believe that Fleck would bench a healthy Morgan.

I could be wrong. we shall see.
Do you believe Fleck would have started Zack Annexstad the next week (home vs IU) back in 2018, if that injury had not ended his season?

That would easily be the most comparable situation ... but we'll never know, because indeed ZA was done for the year after Nebraska.

Now, another question entirely is, after the beating ZA had taken that season to that point, should Fleck and "the medical team" have started him at all in Nebraska?? Again, we'll never know.

Biggest issue with Tanner is he has a panic attack when pressured.
Not arguing your point. I'm just saying that assuming he does, it's for good reason. Three concussions is good reason to "panic".

If Tanner is healthy, then we should platoon our QBs. If Tanner is not good to go, then the decision is already made.

In no way do we want an opponent's fans have anything to do with such a decision...and fortunately they won't.

However, the Nebraska fans around us immediately recognized that Athan brought something different to the table. I mean...immediately. They already knew their offense was going to stall but thought their D would hold the line on the 10 points they had. AK shut them down and shut them up pretty quick.

If they can see it probably Coach and staff can see it too, especially regarding receiver separation. Haven't watch the game on DVR yet but it looked like they were actually more open in the 2nd half than the first. Only conjecture but if true, that alone is enough to tip the scales for me.

Top Bottom