Poll: Who should be QB1 vs Northwestern?

Poll: Who should be QB1 vs Northwestern?

• Tanner Morgan

Votes: 30 10.2%
  • Athan Kaliakmanis

Votes: 263 89.8%

• Total voters
This is a tough one if Morgan is healthy......but after what we all just saw happen in the second half against Nebraska I don't know how you don't make the change to AK.

Offense just looked so much better and there is zero doubt he has a skill set that Morgan doesn't. Let him start against Northwestern and hopefully have him in a grove with Iowa and Wisconsin to finish the year.
The receivers were excited and running hard. They had a bounce in their step between plays. I think they were running harder.

I respect and appreciate everything Tanner has done for the U. He has helped this program in more ways than he will ever know. However, it is time for the change to AK for rest of year.
Ak has a swagger about him. He almost seems a little brash and I love this.

It's all cojecture, but I believe had AK started all year, we are 7-2

Had Morgan started and played all of the games, we'd be 5-4

I think Tanner pulls himself, which as he transitions to coaching shows a coach intellect that he can always point to when he’s eating difficult conversations for breakfast in the future. He’s done so much for the program, and he’s by all accounts a hell of a guy. But you could see the play calling difference, which opened up the run game once AK came in. I’ll buy Morgan a beer every time I see him, but it’s time.

We would not have won today if Morgan didn't get injured. AK won us this game, even if it was just energizing the Offense and nothing in particular that he did
LMAO. I had a lot to drink watching the ups and downs of this game. Now I'm following 😂

What? Morgan already has 6 wins (6-2). Which win are you taking away that he's already won?
He scored 0 points today. How do you win with no points? Has it ever been done?

He scored 0 points today. How do you win with no points? Has it ever been done?
Probably Iowa QB this year lol

And I already retracted my statement but apparently you didn't read the entire thread.

Cheers. Go Gophers.

If Tanner is cleared by the medical staff, he starts.

Because that is how PJ Fleck operates.

Hey, if starting was based strictly on performance, MBS would not be starting at WR. and Carroll would probably not be starting at RT.

but once you're a starter, you stay in the lineup until you are physically unable to play. like it or not.
"Should" has nothing to do with it.

This is a tough one if Morgan is healthy......but after what we all just saw happen in the second half against Nebraska I don't know how you don't make the change to AK.

Offense just looked so much better and there is zero doubt he has a skill set that Morgan doesn't. Let him start against Northwestern and hopefully have him in a grove with Iowa and Wisconsin to finish the year.
It's not a remotely tough decision. You only need to answer the question who gives us the best chance to win the next three games. There is only one answer.

If Tanner is cleared by the medical staff, he starts.

Because that is how PJ Fleck operates.

Hey, if starting was based strictly on performance, MBS would not be starting at WR. and Carroll would probably not be starting at RT.

but once you're a starter, you stay in the lineup until you are physically unable to play. like it or not.
"Should" has nothing to do with it.
Your analysis is flawed. MBS and Carroll do not have better players behind them.

Biggest issue with Tanner is he has a panic attack when pressured.
Exactly, but if you have been hit as much as he had been you would panic too. He has never been good at sliding or stepping up in pocket. Outside of Schmitz this Oline has been lousy. # 77 should be benched or re-open that competition with Martes Lewis or Guedet getting a shot.

Last edited:

The receivers were excited and running hard. They had a bounce in their step between plays. I think they were running harder.

This is exactly why the change should have been made sooner

The receiver who has been lost longer than Noah's Ark was found twice for big gains.

I think Tanner pulls himself, which as he transitions to coaching shows a coach intellect that he can always point to when he’s eating difficult conversations for breakfast in the future. He’s done so much for the program, and he’s by all accounts a hell of a guy. But you could see the play calling difference, which opened up the run game once AK came in. I’ll buy Morgan a beer every time I see him, but it’s time.
I've been thinking for a while that Tanner would make a good coach

If Tanner is in fact concussed again (using "again" loosely, as it's more likely a compounding of the first--which is notably worse than suffering a second concussion after full recovery from a first), he should receive a hero's welcome on Saturday but should be done for the season. There's zero reason to risk a third concussion (I'm no neuroscientist, but the rule of thumb I've heard is that a 3rd concussion is where things start to have very severe long term effects).

Even if there were very strong evidence that he is notably better than Athan (after today, I don't think there is), or if there were any chance of making it to a B1G championship game (I guess ILL losing today would make it interesting), I'd really like to think PJ is the type of coach to make the best decision for Tanner's health.

All of that being said, if Tanner is healthy and was taken out today in favor of Athan, you need to: make it clear that Tanner *can* play but the decision has been made to hand the reins to Athan; or, accept that Kramer is QB2. You can't say "Tanner is concussed and is going to sit" to save face then double back in the event of injury or poor play and come out after halftime on Saturday saying "we lied, Tanner is actually healthy enough to play" (would have much worse optics than even the Tua hit).

I'm a fan of Tanner. He gets far too much blame for offensive miscues and it's time to give him a huge thank you and ask him to be another coach on sideline for Athan.

My thoughts as well. Lots of blame to go around on the offense.....but with the offensive line in the shape it's in....AK gives the team a better chance to win with his mobility.

Your analysis is flawed. MBS and Carroll do not have better players behind them.

If you're watching the practices, you can tell us that MBS is better than Brockington. If not, that's not what we've been seeing in games.

With Morgan going all the way I don’t think the gophers would’ve won this game. There was just more energy on the gophers sideline and you could sea and feel it. AK is my starter going forward if I have to say.

I vote for “whoever the coaching staff determines should start”.

I came into this thread with a chip on my shoulder, ready to go after someone with short term memory over what Morgan has accomplished here.

Living long term in this town, I have always been irritated over the fascination with backup QBs and the early willingness to turn on starting QBs. Players like Adam Weber and Dante Culpepper have taken way too much petty criticism here.

But instead of having to stick up for Morgan, I am finding mostly level headed comments about QB play at MN. I agree with the majority opinion here. I love what Morgan has done for the program, but it is time turn control of the Gopher offense to their redshirt freshman QB. Huge thanks to Morgan, while going all in on Kaliakmanis.

Top Bottom