Poll: Who should be QB1 vs Northwestern?

Poll: Who should be QB1 vs Northwestern?

• Tanner Morgan

Votes: 30 10.2%
  • Athan Kaliakmanis

Votes: 263 89.8%

• Total voters
You have no clue as to what I would have done, if it were up to me. Not a clue.

As I said before, there's no doubt putting Athan in the game against Nebraska sparked the team. No doubt. To me, he made the difference between winning and losing that game.

There is similarly no doubt that starting Athan and having him play the entire game against Penn State did not prevent the Gophers from being destroyed.

I am counting on the coaches to make the best decisions for this team. I always have, and I always will. Gopher Hole opinions are interesting, though, and I enjoy reading them.
Well, don't just stand there, tell me what you would have done.

It's ok, you can say it. LMAO

You have no clue as to what I would have done, if it were up to me. Not a clue.

As I said before, there's no doubt putting Athan in the game against Nebraska sparked the team. No doubt. To me, he made the difference between winning and losing that game.

There is similarly no doubt that starting Athan and having him play the entire game against Penn State did not prevent the Gophers from being destroyed.

I am counting on the coaches to make the best decisions for this team. I always have, and I always will. Gopher Hole opinions are interesting, though, and I enjoy reading them.
The tone of your posts has changed drastically from the previous 1000 posts over the past few weeks. Buck up boomer, we won. Tanner will be just fine, even if he doesn't start another game.

The minute Athan became a threat running the ball and a threat throwing mid to deep passes it changed the game. Nebraska had to make adjustments to deal with this and this helped open up our running game. Nebraska was so focused on Mo in the first half and Tanner's play allowed them to continue to do that. Athan's play in the second half dictated that they could no longer solely focus on Mo and short routes. This has been common in Tanner's Big10 games this year and we have not been able to shake things up the way we did today in the second half. It's tough to watch when a great guy like Tanner struggles and everyone always cheers to put the backup QB in when things are not going smoothly but you'd have to be blind not to see how the insertion of Athan energized the offense and provided us with different threats than we have seen in a while.

Athan should start just like when Daniel Faalele replaced Sam S.

I think as you look at Tanner there is no question about who he is as a person. He represents this team and the University very well. However, I hope PJ can look past his loyalty to Tanner and try to look at this from the perspective that all the kids on that team deserve the best opportunity to win. I believe at this point that is now AK as he brings a more dynamic presence and athleticism to the offense that is going to be needed against Iowa & Wis.

ATHAN 100%. He should have been there all year and we'd maybe be 8-1.

ATHAN 100%. He should have been there all year and we'd maybe be 8-1.

I respect and appreciate everything Tanner has done for the U. He has helped this program in more ways than he will ever know. However, it is time for the change to AK for rest of year.
Well said. He is an A+ human being and a fantastic ambassador for Gopher football. But it is time to give #8 serious reps. Teams that have beaten us and taken us out of our game have used a similar plan of attack:
- Force Morgan to beat you with his arm (and to a lesser extent his feet)
- Pressure early and often, because if rattled, his mechanics break down, he gets happy feet and his throwing becomes really erratic

Teams are routinely stacking 8 in the box because they either know or simpy don't respect that his passing is going to gash them in any significant way. A mobile QB sporting a Howitzer is another story entirely.

This game showed me that Athan has the ability to do things that gets his receivers open that Tanner hasn't. I appreciate Tanner and what he has done for his career, but Athan should be the starter going forward!

If Tanner is the leader PJ says he is, he should tell the coaching staff the team needs the spark Athan is giving them. Completely different offense in 2H.

The tone of your posts has changed drastically from the previous 1000 posts over the past few weeks. Buck up boomer, we won. Tanner will be just fine, even if he doesn't start another game.

'Changed drastically', eh?

I bear you no ill will. I hope you get a skateboard for Christmas... or a new phone.

someone brought up Ryan Burns.

I guarantee his #1 rant on both podcasts (Gopher Gridiron and Pair and a Spare) will be about MBS.
He absolutely hates MBS (in all fairness, with some justification).
He tweeted out multiple times you can't put Athan back on the sidelines

There is a lot of chest-beating for a QB with a brutal 2022 passing stat line. The caveat is those ugly stats are largely due to terrible receiver and tight end hands and effort rather than the QB - also a huge factor for Morgan’s difficulties. The main difference for AK is the ability to escape, extend, and run with more authority when needed or designed which is obviously a huge difference maker at critical times and right now the team needs a difference maker on offense because Mo can’t do it all himself.

Iowa and Wisconsin will probably bring a different flavor of defense than Nebraska. If AK can deliver results against those teams, not turn the ball over, throw with some touch when necessary that gives a huge reason for optimism going forward and hopefully better receiver recruiting.

No honest fan of the Gophers 2022 football team can say with a straight face that Athan coming in was not the main reason that the offense turned it around in the 2nd half.

PJ has to do the following, if he wants to the offense to help win games:
- Athan needs to be the starter for the rest of the season

- MBS needs to have less targets, possibly fewer reps overall
- D. Wright needs to have more targets, especially stretching the field

- Need to take a strong look at getting Nate Boe more reps for FIliaga. Sorry, but he just got plain beat on that simple twist in the first half. Then tripped JMS later in the half, which caused another sack.

There is a lot of chest-beating for a QB with a brutal 2022 passing stat line. The caveat is those ugly stats are largely due to terrible receiver and tight end hands and effort rather than the QB - also a huge factor for Morgan’s difficulties. The main difference for AK is the ability to escape, extend, and run with more authority when needed or designed which is obviously a huge difference maker at critical times and right now the team needs a difference maker on offense because Mo can’t do it all himself.

Iowa and Wisconsin will probably bring a different flavor of defense than Nebraska. If AK can deliver results against those teams, not turn the ball over, throw with some touch when necessary that gives a huge reason for optimism going forward and hopefully better receiver recruiting.
Nebraska runs a 3-4 defense, a lot like Wisconsin. I'm pretty that is correct, as of X years ago (not too long, but recent-ish).

Iowa runs more of a Pro-style 4-3 defense.

His pocket presence and ability to throw on the run will make these receivers better. Immediately brought a different vibe to the offense.

I am hoping that Kaliakmanis lights it up the rest of the way.

I am also hoping that if he has a few rough patches people will stay patient.

Athan throws the ball
Morgan holds the ball

The reason you play a senior over a more physically talented freshman is because the senior gets the ball out on time. It simply isn’t the case.
Morgan has stopped being on time in 2020 and he has never gotten it back with the exception of the Michigan state game

No honest fan of the Gophers 2022 football team can say with a straight face that Athan coming in was not the main reason that the offense turned it around in the 2nd half.

PJ has to do the following, if he wants to the offense to help win games:
- Athan needs to be the starter for the rest of the season

- MBS needs to have less targets, possibly fewer reps overall
- D. Wright needs to have more targets, especially stretching the field

- Need to take a strong look at getting Nate Boe more reps for FIliaga. Sorry, but he just got plain beat on that simple twist in the first half. Then tripped JMS later in the half, which caused another sack.
I don't know what on earth happened this year, but he has become a major liability on offense. It was there in the non-conference games with dropsies and fumbles, but they were just vastly superior to their opponents that it didn't matter. IMHO, his clank in the Purdue game completely changed the momentum, and it was inexcusable.

Call it bad timing, bad luck or whatever - in multiple critical moments this season, he has laid an egg and it has cost this team dearly. If the ball is the program, there has to be other options.

Great post. Very reasonable.

I'm excited to see what Kaliakmanis can do against our main rivals.

You don’t know that, either. Don’t be a lemming.
1) why would coaches have attachment to a transfer?

2) who of the backups do you think might be better?

Note: using common sense is not associated with lemming.

Top Bottom