***OFFICIAL UW-GB AT MINNESOTA SEASON OPENING IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Hot take: easy way to solve Carr over dribbling/tunnel vision issues while simultaneously limiting Gabe’s overshooting - play Mashburn at point. There was much better flow to the offense when he was primary ball handler. Maybe Pitino wants him to “earn it” as a freshman, but from what I saw this will be the obvious move. Just a matter of how long Pitino will take to acknowledge it. At this point Gabe is the one that needs to earn it. Really don’t understand amount of latitude he is given.

He's not on the floor to score points. Jarvis wasn't recruited to be a scorer & no one ever thought he'd develop into one. Read the last couple pages of this thread. It's people lamenting that there's not enough ball to go around for all the scorers we have. The last thing we need is Jarvis taking those shots.

What we need from him is to come off the bench & bring a spark with his activity, physicality & defense. In the past I've been his harshest critic due to his horrible defense, but he looked much better last night. 8 rebounds, 5 steals, 3 assists & a block in 19 minutes is very active & exactly what we need from Jarvis.
This is what I see, he gets a steal/rebound and then misses a layup or gets fould then bricks every free throw. He's not doing anything to help on the offensive side of the ball. There's a reason he's always open for an alleyoop, because the defense disregards him making it basically a 4v5 every possession.

how much of that do you think is Carr and how much Pitino? Amir did the same thing when asked. It makes me wonder if Pitino likes having a ball-dominant guy running things. Not saying this is absolutely true, but it's seeming that way recently (ie less of a flow offense with the goal being to have almost every guy touch it versus the iso, ball-dominant offense that some are running now)
It's Pitino. He did it with Nate Mason too. His offensive system is predicated on having a ball dominant lead guard. Gach knew this coming in. He wants some run as a lead guard.

I don't know what all the bitching is about. This team looks like it can easily finish in the top half of the Pioneer League.

I saw Carr as one of the only reliable stabilizing forces to pull us out of whatever the hell that was during the second half. I have no problem allowing Carr a dominant role when it wasn't clear what we'd even be getting from the rest of the team in the alternative. As for Gabe, I agree with most, we need to be realistic about what he's actually doing on the floor versus past performance as a F. With that said, I mostly chalked up massive volume of attempted 3's to the perceived importance of getting him on track, if still possible, in a low risk game because of the value he could add to the team if he's able to right his 3 point shooting.Thank god he made one, as opposed to going 0/7, sitting with that over his head for a week before he plays again. Worth it in my opinion too, at least for now. It was the first game of the season. I took pretty much everything with a grain of salt, its just one game and doesn't really hold much sway at all in terms of how players will perform in 5-10 games.

Top Bottom