***OFFICIAL UW-GB AT MINNESOTA SEASON OPENING IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Saw a guy flashing a lot early with some minutes in his first ever game with a new team. If his performance was 15 games into the season i might be concerned, but i saw enough of what i needed to to think he will be just fine.

Good to hear, hope i am overly harsh.

Almost impossible as a coach to say: “I believe in you! You’re a great shooter, Gabe.
But, Um for now...maybe pass it to a teammate.”
Gotta ride with em through the valleys or they’ll never believe a word you say.
He can always show him the pine!

Agree completely, but at some point - maybe gabe isn’t as great of a shooter as we thought, and it would be silly to ride through the lows if the high is not all that great. Not trying to shit on anyone’s performance, nor the teams since I saw a lot that I liked.

I think Gach is the most talented player on the team. Between Carr and Gabe, he didn't see the ball much.

Gach certainly is a huge upgrade from any guard we had last year other than Carr. To some degree, I share your concerns. I think it's fine that Carr went off for 35 in the opening game but I hope he doesn't become like Carsen Edwards was for Purdue a couple of years ago where he dominates the ball so much that other players are left out of the action for long periods of time. And I wish Gabe would come to an understanding that he doesn't have the talent to be the second offensive option on this team.

Gach certainly is a huge upgrade from any guard we had last year other than Carr. To some degree, I share your concerns. I think it's fine that Carr went off for 35 in the opening game but I hope he doesn't become like Carsen Edwards was for Purdue a couple of years ago where he dominates the ball so much that other players are left out of the action for long periods of time. And I wish Gabe would come to an understanding that he doesn't have the talent to be the second offensive option on this team.
I suspect Pitino gave him the green light to go and pour it on toward the end. It looked like he was testing out the equipment to see what he could do with it. Can I score at will? Why yes I can.

Carr’s assist numbers from last year are strong. He also only had 3 points in the first 10 minutes last night while he let others get involved in the offense. If Carson Edwards is an apt comparison - I’m buckling my seat belt and enjoying the ride.

Agree on Gabe. I know he has the green light and does the little things really well, but at some point this season he may need to be selective and/or earn a better look for a teammate. Hopefully I eat my words at some point this season and gabe finds the rhythm from his freshman year. Still a plus player I want on me team though.

Carr’s assist numbers from last year are strong. He also only had 3 points in the first 10 minutes last night while he let others get involved in the offense. If Carson Edwards is an apt comparison - I’m buckling my seat belt and enjoying the ride.

Agree on Gabe. I know he has the green light and does the little things really well, but at some point this season he may need to be selective and/or earn a better look for a teammate. Hopefully I eat my words at some point this season and gabe finds the rhythm from his freshman year. Still a plus player I want on me team though.

Agree with all of this. I just am not sure we can have a successful season if gabe plays like last season. Maybe he is putting too much pressure on himself and relying on his teammates more would help him relax and find his game?

Agree with all of this. I just am not sure we can have a successful season if gabe plays like last season. Maybe he is putting too much pressure on himself and relying on his teammates more would help him relax and find his game?
I'd be more ok with gabe using his energy to focus on locking down an opponent's stud on offense and shutting them down. I think we have enough scoring threats and i think Gabe could be a great defender

I think Gach is the most talented player on the team. Between Carr and Gabe, he didn't see the ball much.
And that's why coaches at this level get paid the big bucks. The really good ones make sure that everyone is used properly. Have no idea, but I would think by now Pitino will do that, but we'll see.

And that's why coaches at this level get paid the big bucks. The really good ones make sure that everyone is used properly. Have no idea, but I would think by now Pitino will do that, but we'll see.
Gach didn’t come here to get seven shots a game and he’s too good a player to get seven shots a game. I know people want to ooh and ahh over Carr but it’s not good for a team this talented for him and Gabe to put up half the shots.

Why did Gach come home from Utah? As I understand, he did well on Utah's team and could've kept doing that.

Homesick? Didn't like/fit in with the culture out there?

Did he feel like he needed one more year before going pro, and with covid he wanted to spend that year closer to home than out West. Perhaps also feeling the Big Ten was more likely to complete a season than the PAC, at the time?

Gach didn’t come here to get seven shots a game and he’s too good a player to get seven shots a game. I know people want to ooh and ahh over Carr but it’s not good for a team this talented for him and Gabe to put up half the shots.
I wouldnt worry too much about how many shots gach got up. It was a 20 to 30 point game most of the night. Plenty of guys played and it was the first game. If gach is only getting 5-7 shots a game in the big ten then maybe we should worry.

I just listened to it on the radio versus watching it on TV, but I've got to say the crowd was into the game. Good to hear all the cheering from the fans in the stands at the game. :D

If they’re going to put in fake crowd noise, someone needs to invent a “crowd synthesizer” that a live person can control to time the cheers and boos. This general crowd murmur is fine, but the cheering is at odd times.

I just listened to it on the radio versus watching it on TV, but I've got to say the crowd was into the game. Good to hear all the cheering from the fans in the stands at the game. :D

I listened on the radio as well. Didn't even notice ambient crowd noise until announcer pointed it out.

I've actually never noticed crowd noise while listening to games on the radio, unless it's so loud you can't actually hear the announcer. Then, it irritates me that the engineer isn't adjusting the crowd mic down a little.

Generally, while playing, listening or broadcasting over the years, crowd noise is like a fan on in the backround. It's there, but I never actually notice it unless it suddenly makes a weird, unusual noise.

Gabe lets go too early with his guide (left land) hand. My personal diagnosis. displaces his distance and accuracy.
Does it seem to you that his release is also lower than it used to be as a frosh?

Carr dominates the ball too much. This can happen with high assist numbers. I don't think there are many times throughout the game where Carr gets the ball and passes it without dribbling. His usage rate has to be really high. It's kind of like Jeff Teague (former Wolves player), he was a blackhole to ball movement even though he had decent assist numbers. Essentially, running an iso is a blackhole for ball movement (regardless of if the playing driving shoots or passes at the end), because it has 4 other players kind of just waiting around.

Carr has this problem. It's a small nit. He is a good player, but it does negatively impact our wings.

Once Pitino gets his rotation set, I hope Gabe doesn't take as many shots. It's ridiculous to see him going 6 for 17 after the terrible shooting year (particularly in conference) that he had last year. Move the ball and use the lineup. Carr is different because he can do it on his own.

This is going to be a problem for us this year.

I agree Gabes 3 point shooting hasn't been good going back to last year but he still is a threat on the court. People saying he needs to earn his time and just be a more defensively focused player I dont understand. He still scored 17 last night in a multitude of ways.

If they’re going to put in fake crowd noise, someone needs to invent a “crowd synthesizer” that a live person can control to time the cheers and boos. This general crowd murmur is fine, but the cheering is at odd times.
What do you mean, "fake crowd noise", next you're going to tell me Santa Clause isn't real...

Carr dominates the ball too much. This can happen with high assist numbers. I don't think there are many times throughout the game where Carr gets the ball and passes it without dribbling. His usage rate has to be really high. It's kind of like Jeff Teague (former Wolves player), he was a blackhole to ball movement even though he had decent assist numbers. Essentially, running an iso is a blackhole for ball movement (regardless of if the playing driving shoots or passes at the end), because it has 4 other players kind of just waiting around.

Carr has this problem. It's a small nit. He is a good player, but it does negatively impact our wings.
Carr is a very talented player. However, he doesn't play well with others. (His assist totals are meaningless because he is so ball dominant.) This year he's on the court with many more talented players than last year, two of whom think they are going to the NBA next year. If Carr doesn't share the ball with those guys, Pitino may have a combustible locker room.

I agree Gabes 3 point shooting hasn't been good going back to last year but he still is a threat on the court. People saying he needs to earn his time and just be a more defensively focused player I dont understand. He still scored 17 last night in a multitude of ways.
Scoring 17 on 17 shots is inefficient.

Almost impossible as a coach to say: “I believe in you! You’re a great shooter, Gabe.
But, Um for now...maybe pass it to a teammate.”
Gotta ride with em through the valleys or they’ll never believe a word you say.
Makes you wonder if Pitino told him to keep shooting (ie shoot his way out of it). We will need him to be hot to steal a game or two. Carr won't be scoring 25+ consistently once B10 play hits, so we'll need others to steal some games for us (and I mean steal as in your secondary scorers light it up on a night your primary gets locked down somewhat)

Carr is a very talented player. However, he doesn't play well with others. (His assist totals are meaningless because he is so ball dominant.) This year he's on the court with many more talented players than last year, two of whom think they are going to the NBA next year. If Carr doesn't share the ball with those guys, Pitino may have a combustible locker room.
how much of that do you think is Carr and how much Pitino? Amir did the same thing when asked. It makes me wonder if Pitino likes having a ball-dominant guy running things. Not saying this is absolutely true, but it's seeming that way recently (ie less of a flow offense with the goal being to have almost every guy touch it versus the iso, ball-dominant offense that some are running now)

You know who looked really good last night was Jarvis Omersa. If he can give us anything remotely near these numbers in B1G play, our rotation just got a lot trickier to figure out

2 Pts - 8 Rebs -3 Assts - 5 Stls - 1 Blk in 19 mins.
He did not look good actually. Terrible intential foul, can't finish at the rim, doesn't hit free throws, and straight up contributes nothing to the offensive side of the ball. Sure he can jump high and hustles for loose balls and rebounds, but if he can't help on offense he doesn't need to be on the court that much. He might be the most athletic guy on the team, and could make this team elite if he wasn't such a black hole on offense.

Agree. Jarvis is prone to metal lapses. I love his energy but can’t get to excited with a UWGB stat line.

I agree. The ball gets to him and it stops.

He did not look good actually. Terrible intential foul, can't finish at the rim, doesn't hit free throws, and straight up contributes nothing to the offensive side of the ball. Sure he can jump high and hustles for loose balls and rebounds, but if he can't help on offense he doesn't need to be on the court that much. He might be the most athletic guy on the team, and could make this team elite if he wasn't such a black hole on offense.

He's not on the floor to score points. Jarvis wasn't recruited to be a scorer & no one ever thought he'd develop into one. Read the last couple pages of this thread. It's people lamenting that there's not enough ball to go around for all the scorers we have. The last thing we need is Jarvis taking those shots.

What we need from him is to come off the bench & bring a spark with his activity, physicality & defense. In the past I've been his harshest critic due to his horrible defense, but he looked much better last night. 8 rebounds, 5 steals, 3 assists & a block in 19 minutes is very active & exactly what we need from Jarvis.

Top Bottom