***OFFICIAL ST. LOUIS AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

NCAA Men’s Basketball 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 Rules discuss this violation at Pages 75-76/140.

After a break in the action (e.g. a made basket, a turnover, a timeout), a team inbounding the ball has five seconds from the time the official places the ball is at the disposal of the player entitled to the throw-in to start up the game again. “Disposal” means the official has either handed the ball to the inbounding player or has otherwise made the ball ready for play.
Ref doesn’t typically touch ball after baskets.
The above pertains to a ball that isn’t available to inbound.
Some Teams have fast break plays to run on makes...especially free throws... you get it out of the net and go. Layups or corner threes.

And rebounding has also been a challenge. Why we cannot figure out how to box out bewilders me. I get that I’m getting old but we’re not going to outjump the other athletic players in the B1G.
Gophers were outrebounded 21-11 in the 1st half but outrebounded SLU 21-13 in the 2nd half. Gophers were outrebounded 21-11 in the 1st half but outrebounded SLU 23-20 in the 2nd half. I’m curious what changes Pitino made. Ihnen isn’t a banger but still does a nice job getting boards. Robbins is unimpressive on the boards and I think it is because he finds himself in poor position from slow feet and going for blocks.

Edit: Edited with updated numbers.

Last edited:

Gophers were outrebounded 21-11 in the 1st half but outrebounded SLU 21-13 in the 2nd half. I’m curious what changes Pitino made. Ihnen isn’t a banger but still does a nice job getting boards. Robbins is unimpressive on the boards and I think it is because he finds himself in poor position from slow feet and going for blocks.
That’s an interesting stat.

Almost all of the St Louis rebounds had nothing to do with boxing out. They relentlessly pursue the ball. We didn’t.
On the ones they got.

Ref doesn’t typically touch ball after baskets.
The above pertains to a ball that isn’t available to inbound.
Some Teams have fast break plays to run on makes...especially free throws... you get it out of the net and go. Layups or corner threes.
It is typical to see the team with the made basket to specifically tap the ball to the official to force them to hand/pass the ball to the inbounding team to run a little clock.

Gophers were outrebounded 21-11 in the 1st half but outrebounded SLU 21-13 in the 2nd half. I’m curious what changes Pitino made. Ihnen isn’t a banger but still does a nice job getting boards. Robbins is unimpressive on the boards and I think it is because he finds himself in poor position from slow feet and going for blocks.
Ihnen gets so many boards where I think to myself “no way Alihan would get that board last year.”

If the Gophers get from Robbins and Gach what we thought they would get from Robbins and Gach at the start of the year, this team will be pretty competitive.

Almost all of the St Louis rebounds had nothing to do with boxing out. They relentlessly pursue the ball. We didn’t.
Huh ... the purpose of boxing out is SO YOUR GUY CAN’T pursue the rebound. That’s why it’s called “Box Out Hit” in today’s game.

Yeah, but as with most great players, you take that trade off every day. He does way more good than bad. Pretty sure he played nearly 40 minutes. 14-19 from the line. Huge shots in the first half to set the tone in the first half
Carr is an amazing individual player. Tough. But he has to let the game come to him more in order for us to win against better teams. Things start to go haywire for us when he dominates the ball off the dribble too much. How he only turned the ball twice under that pressure while seemingly having the ball half the time is amazing.

If the Gophers get from Robbins and Gach what we thought they would get from Robbins and Gach at the start of the year, this team will be pretty competitive.
Robbins and Gach have performed exactly what our preseason expectations should have been for them.

I was expecting more from Johnson although Ihnen has definitely been making up for it.

It is typical to see the team with the made basket to specifically tap the ball to the official to force them to hand/pass the ball to the inbounding team to run a little clock.
Yup, all in how you wanna do it. That is a planned practiced philosophy.
We almost let anybody inbound. Many different guys. Not a fan of that. I prefer teaching one guy and a spare.
There are a million scenarios and fundamentals to inbounding. Absolutely not everybody is good at it.

We almost let anybody inbound. Many different guys. Not a fan of that. I prefer teaching one guy and a spare.
There are a million scenarios and fundamentals to inbounding. Absolutely not everybody is good at it.
Yeah, it’s concerning we haven’t settled yet this far into the season...??

Not even close to the most intense or good basketball i have ever seen for the first 37. Will gladly take the win.
boo... it was clearly an exaggeration. just ignore and move on. no need to comment. i think you are a great student of the game. share your knowledge and don't stoop to the level of some on the OTB with the stirring of the pot.

Robbins and Gach have performed exactly what our preseason expectations should have been for them.

I was expecting more from Johnson although Ihnen has definitely been making up for it.

You might be right about that and it's very early in the season obviously. Robbins was widely viewed as one of the top 20 impact transfers in the rankings that I recall seeing. Always hard to say how players will perform when they step up in competition.

Generally our 4 inbounds the ball because they end up being a swing man on the stupid offense. Against pressure you’ll see a wing do it. Carr did it on the alley-oop and 1 play to Gach

Robbins had 10/6/4 on 4 field goal attempts. He played 19 minutes.

I mean that is pretty damn solid. Foul trouble and the opponent kept him on the bench.

Why? I saw Gach play a ton in high school and some in college. He is better than he is playing.
Robbins from high lights is probably about what I’d expect. But he is brutal defensively. He lets everybody post up at the rim.
He cannot defend anybody UNLESS he blocks their shot. Once for the first time tonight he moved his feet and deflected a post entry.
I expected and expect more from both.
Ihnen is playing as well as I hoped and knew he could.

Generally our 4 inbounds the ball because they end up being a swing man on the stupid offense. Against pressure you’ll see a wing do it. Carr did it on the alley-oop and 1 play to Gach
Gabe did, Carr did, Curry did, Tre did, Gach did and Johnson too. I bet it’s everybody.

Gabe did, Carr did, Curry did, Tre did, Gach did and Johnson too. I bet it’s everybody.

Johnson didn’t play any crunch time minutes. Against no pressure it is always the 4. Ihnen or Johnson. against pressure the wings do it. Tre Williams never should. Gabe is good at it, and if they double the person he passes to he should be open and we want Gabe getting fouled.

I think everyone on this board has been spoiled by Oturu and Murphy the past few years. Robbins is fine. Yes he isn’t as good as the “future pro” some analysts said he would be, but 10 and 6 from a transfer is all I would of really asked for. He is an average big ten big and that is ok for what we needed. If you are frustrated with him, that is more an indictment on Pitinio’s roster management and lack of player development over the past few years than anything he has been doing.

Johnson didn’t play any crunch time minutes. Against no pressure it is always the 4. Ihnen or Johnson. against pressure the wings do it. Tre Williams never should. Gabe is good at it, and if they double the person he passes to he should be open and we want Gabe getting fouled.
As long as it works, cool. It is not how I’d do it, which means nothing.
Best inbounder versus pressure? Michael Hurt. He was surprisingly great!!! His best skill as a Gopher. And fits your analysis our 4 man does it versus pressure.
We’ll get better. This game has to help us grow a ton!

In case no one was paying attention, Tre played some really good D and off the ball D when he was in there. Won’t show up I the box score, but he made a difference.

Ihnen was the bright spot to me tonight. He's so long and he's using that length better and better to be disruptive defensively. Carr was obviously the MVP again and he'll now need to play like his non-conference self in B1G games. I felt like Robbins got a tough whistle on that 4th foul, he ended up blocking the kid with both hands. Maybe he got a little body there, but I am not sure what else he could do except back away from the play if you're going to whistle that.

I feel like more attention needs to be paid to the poor defense in the last 4:30 or so as much as the inbounds plays. We seemed way too content to give up layup after layup and on the rare instances Saint Louis shot a jumper, we couldn't get the rebound. As far as inbounding, from what I saw we weren't really screening for anyone and Carr/Kalscheur were having a hard time getting much separation from the quick defenders on Saint Louis. I would have liked to see Robbins back in late and have him as an option to simply throw it high to as Saint Louis had no size on the court. Good to see the team knock down most of their free throws as they needed them down the stretch with the way things went on the other end of the floor.

I was really impressed with Saint Louis. They have a lack of size but they somehow crash the offensive boards successfully. They execute multiple different defensive styles. Their guards are quick and and gave the Gophers fits for about 75 feet. They have a toughness as a team that I'd love to see here and are tough to play against due to their willingness to change things up. I'll be interested to see if they can win the A10.

Definitely the Gophers best win of the season, hopefully it doesn't stay that way for than a few day.

Why? I saw Gach play a ton in high school and some in college. He is better than he is playing.
Robbins from high lights is probably about what I’d expect. But he is brutal defensively. He lets everybody post up at the rim.
He cannot defend anybody UNLESS he blocks their shot. Once for the first time tonight he moved his feet and deflected a post entry.
I expected and expect more from both.
Ihnen is playing as well as I hoped and knew he could.

Gach hasn't been meeting expectations? He averaged 10 points a game at Utah last year shooting 39% from the field and 25% from 3. This year he has been averaging 13 a game, shooting 48% from the field and 40% from 3. He is also rebounding the ball much better, passing the ball better and turning the ball over less than he did last year. That is pretty solid improvement and Gach has been a good player for us.

Unless you were expecting him to be an All Big Ten player this year which I don't know why you would have thought that then I don't know how you can say he is not meeting expectations.

And Robbins has been brutal defensively? He wasn't great against UND guarding on the perimeter and can foul but aside from that, he has been our most impactful defender. It's not just the blocks, he also contests a lot shots that lead to misses and sometimes just his presence in the paint lead to misses or kick outs or inefficient mid range jumpsuits. And when he just walls up and forces his opponent to shoot over him, thats not usually an easy shot. I'd rather he do that than deflect post entries which can lead to cheap fouls which happened today or him giving up his position leading to an easy dunk. If the opponent can score over Liam than I'll take that.

I admit I haven't read all the pages in this thread, so maybe it has already been discussed. But isn't it about time for the announcers and fans to quit calling Gabe a sharpshooter? He hit shots his FR year only for the most part. Mashburn came in tonight and hit some shots and played some good D (which Gabe is very good at). Should some of Gabe's minutes start going Mashburn to see if he can hit the 3s at a higher rate?

Carr is an amazing individual player. Tough. But he has to let the game come to him more in order for us to win against better teams. Things start to go haywire for us when he dominates the ball off the dribble too much. How he only turned the ball twice under that pressure while seemingly having the ball half the time is amazing.
Correct

Definitely outlier rather than norm

That was a really fun basketball game to watch. St. Louis is a good team and they play really hard. I rip on Pitino quite a bit, but he had the team ready to go against a really tough team. I don't love our execution at times, but the Gophers came out playing hard and tough. Pitino deserves credit for that (so do the guys).

Our wings play really solid defense. A rotation of Gabe, Gach, and Tre defending the wings is really tough. Gabe might be the best on ball defender in the last 10 years for the Gophers.

I don't always love Marcus Carr's offense in the half court but he is really a tough player/hard worker. His intelligence and ball handling were a big part of why we didn't have a ton of trouble with the press. That said, when we did have trouble, it was usually one of the wings dribbling to a dangerous part of the court.

Fun game. I wasn't expecting to win and I'm stoked I was proven wrong.

Top Bottom