***OFFICIAL RUTGERS AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Same here!

He was a super nice guy. When I stood next to him, all I could think of is I'm damn glad I didn't have to try and box him out in his prime!
Courtney James played with him. Had tickets right right behind the basket on the Gopher's end back then. Couldn't believe how much space those two took up or how well they moved!

Coming right up.

"Cherry point guard and Gophers men’s basketball commitment Isaac Asuma is the No. 9 point guard prospect in the 2024 class, according to 247Sports."

We don't know for sure but it's look like a nice get.
So will the plan be to have Asuma back up Hawkins at point guard next year and then take over the PG position his sophomore year? Hawkins is just so damn important to the success of our team. I can't wait to see him run the team next year too.

Career game for Payne. He played with a lot of confidence and poise, not just on O, but on D, too, without silly fouls. Also thought Garcia, again, played great defense. Really was a team effort.

Of course gotta clean up those late game lapses that give us all nightmares, but they played like they believed they were going to win.

Watched the game but just getting time to comment. Really well played game. Rutgers played a tough first half them we buried them. I thought one of the better overall games on the year. No real lulls in production that we've had, even in wins.

As someone who has been very critical of CBJ, I think tonight turned the page for me that he is locked into next year. Now, those expectations will go up a notch but, hopefully so will the team. Well done squad!

Other than that 2 minute stretch, complete domination in the 2nd half. Scoring 81 on Rutgers is not easy to do. 4th most points they’ve given up all year.

I love this team and I like our odds to dance. Every game will be important down the stretch, but we are back as a team. Props to coach and a solid fanbase. Rebuilds are tough, but I dare say we might be turning the corner.

So will the plan be to have Asuma back up Hawkins at point guard next year and then take over the PG position his sophomore year? Hawkins is just so damn important to the success of our team. I can't wait to see him run the team next year too.
I think Asuma is a natural combo guard. He’ll likely come off the bench, he can play some point (so can Christie), and he will be competing with Carrington for minutes.

I’d love for this team to add 1 more playable guard via the portal for next year.

I think Asuma is a natural combo guard. He’ll likely come off the bench, he can play some point (so can Christie), and he will be competing with Carrington for minutes.

I’d love for this team to add 1 more playable guard via the portal for next year.
100% PG.

He’ll begin on the bench and has a really good shot at being the starting PG half way through the year.

100% PG.

He’ll begin on the bench and has a really good shot at being the starting PG half way through the year.

You really think Asuma....as a true freshman....may be able to supplant Hawkins....who will be a senior and is currently one of the two or three best players on the team?

Pretty optimistic.

Watched the game but just getting time to comment. Really well played game. Rutgers played a tough first half them we buried them. I thought one of the better overall games on the year. No real lulls in production that we've had, even in wins.

As someone who has been very critical of CBJ, I think tonight turned the page for me that he is locked into next year. Now, those expectations will go up a notch but, hopefully so will the team. Well done squad!
Welcome aboard!
Time to sink a Battleship on Thursday!

I love this team and I like our odds to dance. Every game will be important down the stretch, but we are back as a team. Props to coach and a solid fanbase. Rebuilds are tough, but I dare say we might be turning the corner.
Yes we are Biggie Smalls

Brooklyn New York New York

Last edited:

Very well played game. CBJ has basically cut the rotation to seven players plus Ihnen, who gets 3-5 minutes.

I think it will take eleven regular season wins or ten wins plus two tournament victories for the gophers to get in. Not much margin for error. Helluva story if they pull it off.

Very well played game. CBJ has basically cut the rotation to seven players plus Ihnen, who gets 3-5 minutes.

I think it will take eleven regular season wins or ten wins plus two tournament victories for the gophers to get in. Not much margin for error. Helluva story if they pull it off.
Win the remaining home games, steal one of the remaining away games.

That’s not counting the B1G tourny where anythingispossibllllllllllle

100% PG.

Hawks line yesterday -

16pts, 6 boards and 7 assists.

He was also called one of the best passers in the country on the B10 post game show; this is evident by his leading the nation in assists.

I think it will take eleven regular season wins or ten wins plus two tournament victories for the gophers to get in. Not much margin for error.
That still wouldn't be good enough, unfortunately for us.

I think we need 5 more wins, minimum, to get into the discussion (and likely 6).

So finish 4-2, and win a couple in the BTT...

Payne played so well yesterday. Starting to see things much better. Passing has improved. Only 1 foul. 0 turnovers. This accomplishment was done against a capable opponent.
Was fun to see Ben talk about him in the post game presser - can tell he really cares for his players.

That play he made when he went to the left and banked it home with his left have was amazing. Man he’s come a long way in a short time.

Gonna be honest. Right now, this team is at what I thought would be their best case scenario for this season. I was hoping, but certainly not predicting, that they might be a 500 team at this point of the Big Ten season. You can see this group growing and believing. Like most 500 teams through history, they often look like a play-off team, but also can look like a bottom of the standings team.

Still, there has been a ton of progress over the course of the season, which has been an awesome thing to watch. The non-conference season isn't helpful regarding getting into tournament, but also might be the reason they've made so much progress and gained confidence. Now that he has the guys believing and playing at a higher level than many thought possible, and assuming that he can keep the core and main contribu ters from leaving, I'm guessing we'll see a much better non-con season next year. They are fun and frustrating to watch, which is a 50% improvement from last season, and which also makes them entertaining to watch.

Hopefully Ben and the crew can continue to make progress and make this a surprisingly successful season.

You really think Asuma....as a true freshman....may be able to supplant Hawkins....who will be a senior and is currently one of the two or three best players on the team?

Pretty optimistic.
Agree that it would be highly unlikely for Asuma to pass Hawkins on the depth chart. Fans often want to put really high expectations on incoming recruits when the reality is they are likely to need some time to adjust to the college game.

Best case with Asuma is that he makes the transition quickly and is in position to provide quality minutes off the bench either playing as a backup to Hawkins or in tandem with him. Having another quality ball handler on the roster to go along with Hawkins, Mitchell, and Christie would be really helpful. Carrington can dribble some but wouldn't want him to have the ball in a bunch of high pressure situations.

…with a very large arse extremely difficult to raise off the couch.
Patrick Reusse's tweet is just an attempt at keeping he and his absurd newspaper relevant.

Patrick - I know you read this forum. You are very relevant and your newspaper still has readers under 70.

(Everyone pretend that Patrick is relevant until he goes away)

As painful as that stretch was yesterday, I'm going to look at the "Incredible Vanishing Lead" as a positive. Hopefully, they not only learn from the panic, but they also see how they quelled it. Side note--Hawkins almost gave me a heart attack with that spin move at half court.

Great win by the Gophers! I loved that they just didn't settle for 3s even though they shot them well. They found Payne and Garcia and forced Rutgers to foul by really moving the ball around. Just a bad couple of minutes in each half but otherwise two well played halves by the Gophers.
Love this team!
Offense has been run much better the last handful of games. Lots of moving, picks, cuts, etc. Way less of the standing around iso ball stuff. It is a much more pleasing game to watch and works!

Payne played so well yesterday. Starting to see things much better. Passing has improved. Only 1 foul. 0 turnovers. This accomplishment was done against a capable opponent.
His ability to drive to the basket from the elbow and finish was especially encouraging to see. That will open up all sorts of opportunities for the offense if he can keep that up.

Sort of surprised I'm not reading more posts about Payne.

He "only" had 21 points, 11 rebounds, kept out of foul trouble...

Double-double.
He's a beaut. And improving seemingly game by game. Athletic as heck, works his butt off on both ends. Exciting player.

Carrington can dribble some but wouldn't want him to have the ball in a bunch of high pressure situations.
Wasn't he Mr. BB in the state of MN a couple years back?

I'm not sure he looked any worse than the other 3-4 guys who handled the ball on those difficult, Rutgers press related miscues there toward the end of the game.

As Hawkins tends to run wild at times, where we all say oh well. Can't we do the same for BC?

Top Bottom