***OFFICIAL RUTGERS AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Well yeah, that's why my reply had an entire paragraph that started out with "This is all off the few minutes I've seen him play".

From the 40 minutes of basketball that I've seen, he's a floater. Maybe there is a high motor there, I hope there is.

I'd say the probability of him being here next season is 50/50. He's from Colorado and had offers from Colorado State and Northern Colorado. There's also U of Denver. Thiam did nothing his freshman year but found a place and he's thriving there.

I'd say the probability of him being here next season is 50/50. He's from Colorado and had offers from Colorado State and Northern Colorado. There's also U of Denver. Thiam did nothing his freshman year but found a place and he's thriving there.
Yeah, it’ll be interesting to see. I wish Thiam woukd have stuck around. He would have been nice guard depth.

I agree. I think he ends up at CSU.

This team seems to really get along. At least from what we can see, little pouting if they’re not getting the minutes or shots they want. Just a bunch of guys that really like each other.

I think back to the 2018 team when it was Murphy’s senior season and you had guys like Washington and Stull that were terrible teammates with terrible body language.

I agree. I think he ends up at CSU.

The way CSU is going this season (#25 NET), that would be aspirational but he did get an offer from them. The two lesser D1 schools, Northern Colorado and Denver, might be easier to get an offer from.

Yeah, Hawkins aggressiveness gets him in trouble sometimes. He took a bad foul against Rutgers when going for a steal late and it isn't the first time he has done that.

But in the end you take the good with the bad and he does way more good then he does bad. His passing and ball handling makes the offense go and he is really good at the ally-opp pass. Was funny when he dropped a couple very vocal f-bombs after he missed on one to Ola-Joseph I believe.

Has been fun watching Hawkins and Mitchell settle into Big Ten play. Both had some struggles but both seem to be figuring it out and are making plays out there.
You do take the good with the bad from Hawkins. He'll commit some untimely fouls, he'll turn it over at times, and he'll occasionally wait too long and have to beat the shot clock. And here is what he brings:
  • 7.6 Assists and 2.8 turnovers is a great ratio
  • He is an automatic press breaker and has the quickest stop off the dribble I've seen in a long time-remember Cooper and Samuels bringing it up last year? It took an eternity.
  • He makes passes nobody else can make, and creates tons of easy baskets
  • He can get by his man just about any time he wants, and that creates open shooters whose defenders move to help
  • Especially recently, he's played really good man defense and has worked his butt off to stay in front of guys, which has been a big problem in recent years for this team
I wish he'd take a few more of the open mid-range jumpers he often has, but overall, we'll take it.

The guy is a player with a very large chip on his shoulder, and he's made a huge difference.

You do take the good with the bad from Hawkins. He'll commit some untimely fouls, he'll turn it over at times, and he'll occasionally wait too long and have to beat the shot clock. And here is what he brings:
  • 7.6 Assists and 2.8 turnovers is a great ratio
  • He is an automatic press breaker and has the quickest stop off the dribble I've seen in a long time-remember Cooper and Samuels bringing it up last year? It took an eternity.
  • He makes passes nobody else can make, and creates tons of easy baskets
  • He can get by his man just about any time he wants, and that creates open shooters whose defenders move to help
  • Especially recently, he's played really good man defense and has worked his butt off to stay in front of guys, which has been a big problem in recent years for this team
I wish he'd take a few more of the open mid-range jumpers he often has, but overall, we'll take it.

The guy is a player with a very large chip on his shoulder, and he's made a huge difference.
Every word true. We would not be anywhere near where we have come without Hawkins. But I would also like to give some credit to Mitchel, who in the last several games, has delivered a number of really slick passes to guys cutting to the basket, most resulting in layups.

I'm from Iowa and coached against Tamin Lipsey from Iowa St. when he played at Ames. I have only seen highlights of Asuma, but he seems similar. Pretty strong, handles the ball well, doesn't get sped up, not an elite shooter or athlete though. Is that anywhere near accurate?
Yes, although he is longer than Lipsey. He's very smooth and as you said doesn't get sped up, so quicker than people give him credit for. He gets to the basket when he wants to, but doesn't force it.

Why is that?

Betts #2 in Colorado, Asuma #3 in MN. Both ranked in the 80's (84 & 87 I believe) as top players in the country.

Other than different positions their rankings are nearly identical.
Most coaches are taking a chance with almost any recruit. Other than the top ten or so players, no one is a sure thing. Based on how Christie is doing we should be pretty excited by Asuma's ranking. Christie has turned out much better so far than many recruits ranked higher than him coming out of high school. ESPN has Asuma ranked one point higher than Christie, and 247 has Asuma ranked the #9 point guard. Payne is turning out to be pretty good compared to similarly ranked recruits. Carrington is fitting into a role as a sophomore really well, playing lockdown defense and playing smart with the ball.

Why compare Asuma to Betts? Why not compare him to Christie? Carrington? Payne? All are doing pretty well for us, and could lead us to be pretty excited.

Tre Holloman was ranked in the 80s and considered a highly recruited player. Izzo took him. I don't think most thought he was "taking a chance". Jury still out on how he's going to be. We should be as excited about Asuma as Holloman. How about AJ Storr? He was ranked in the 80s. He wasn't great at SJU. He seems to be turning out pretty good for Sconnie. Wow, glad Ben is taking a chance on kids like this.

Why is that?

Betts #2 in Colorado, Asuma #3 in MN. Both ranked in the 80's (84 & 87 I believe) as top players in the country.

Other than different positions their rankings are nearly identical.
Per 247 sport’s rankings (not the composite, as we don’t know what this includes), and last time I checked that’s what is used here by most, it isn’t as close as you portend (was this a subtle slight at CBJ, with your “taking a chance on him” quip?).

Per the 247 rankings- Betts has no national rankings, is ranked the 52nd best SF, is an 87(3 stars)and had only two P5 offers. He was skipped his senior season, when he reclassified to redshirt.

Per the 247 rankings- Asuma is ranked 98 in his class, is ranked the 2nd best PG, is an 90(4 stars) and had five P5 offers. He played his senior season and by all indications, will be a contributor next season.

I personally don’t care about the state rankings as that includes too much variance from year to year regarding a state’s talent; obviously it’s not static.

Another way to look at it, is how many players are listed in the respective state rankings, right? In Betts’ Colorado class, there were two, him and guy in front of him, who signed to play at Wake (D1), so that’s only 2 D1 players. In Ike’s class there were 9, 8 of which have signed to play D1 buckets (as of today), Park Center has an unsigned kid who has D1 offers. Of course, MN in recent memory developed more D1 talent than CO (see the following paragraph for additional evidence).

Furthermore, in 2022, Betts’ class, MN had 11 players sign to play D1 hoops, verses the aforementioned 2 in Colorado.

Therefore, Asuma = 🍎, Betts = 🍊

A more apt comparison would be Betts to Groves.

Last edited:

This team seems to really get along. At least from what we can see, little pouting if they’re not getting the minutes or shots they want. Just a bunch of guys that really like each other.

I think back to the 2018 team when it was Murphy’s senior season and you had guys like Washington and Stull that were terrible teammates with terrible body language.
Murph was a junior in 2018, but yea.

Brock Stull showing up and playing 20 lbs overweight was a killer that season.

One thing I really liked was seeing Williams only get a couple of buckets and the second one came with about 1 minute left in the game. Jeremiah was viewed as the catalyst in their win streak. Mitchell and Carrington certainly deserve kudos for holding him in check.

One thing I really liked was seeing Williams only get a couple of buckets and the second one came with about 1 minute left in the game. Jeremiah was viewed as the catalyst in their win streak. Mitchell and Carrington certainly deserve kudos for holding him in check.
I watched a good chunk of the NW game, when Williams constantly was causing havoc by driving into the lane; he couldn’t go that against us.

Fun having a bigger guard like Carrington, as he’s so strong, with good lateral movement, that they can’t get downhill on him, into the lane.

Last edited:

Interesting stats from the Strib article on the game -

Rutgers was held to 25% shooting in the second half, including 1-for-13 from three. Jeremiah Williams, who had been averaging a team-high 14 points in the past four games, was held to nine points on 2-for-10 shooting.

The Gophers shot 15-for-19 from the foul line in the second half, including eight consecutive free throws to end the game.
I know they don't really track stats on what the guy you were guarding did while you were guarding them, but coaches are definitely paying attention to numbers like that. Most fans seem to be focused on how our guy is doing offensively, rebounds, assists, ect., but if my guy scores 20 on 8-11 shooting, but his guy does the same thing, it's a wash.

I was only able to follow the game on Live Stats this week-end, so I was unable to see who was guarding Williams. I'm guessing a couple of different guys teamed up to keep him under his normal numbers. Kudo's to those guys! Holding a team to 25% shooting (or something well under their normal output) over a half of basketball is the kind of thing you need if you really hope to compete for titles some day.

Agreed. Different skill sets, but don't they both play the three?
I mean Christie plays in a 3 guard offense, you could argue what his actual position is, but he plays backup PG when Hawkins is off the floor, etc.

Betts might fancy himself a 3, but he has the size and skill set of a 4, and would never be be deemed a guard.

I know they don't really track stats on what the guy you were guarding did while you were guarding them, but coaches are definitely paying attention to numbers like that. Most fans seem to be focused on how our guy is doing offensively, rebounds, assists, ect., but if my guy scores 20 on 8-11 shooting, but his guy does the same thing, it's a wash.

I was only able to follow the game on Live Stats this week-end, so I was unable to see who was guarding Williams. I'm guessing a couple of different guys teamed up to keep him under his normal numbers. Kudo's to those guys! Holding a team to 25% shooting (or something well under their normal output) over a half of basketball is the kind of thing you need if you really hope to compete for titles some day.
I’m super excited about the D; sometimes you can’t make a shot, but you can always defend.

The guys have matured and bought in -

Last season, per B10 website, we finished 13th in the conference in D.

This season, we’re 5th.

Thorson deserves some attention and appreciation for making us hard nosed defenders.

I hope you can watch Thursday, the movement they’re showing on D is fantastic now; which leads to less cheap fouls as well.

Last edited:

Does Fox technically have another year if he wants it? Man, I sure hope this team sticks together next year!

I’m super excited about the D; sometimes you can’t make a shot, but you can always defend.

The guys have matured and bought in -

Last season, per B10 website, we finished 13th in the conference in D.

This season, we’re 5th.

Thorson deserves some attention and appreciation for making us hard nosed defenders.

I hope you can watch Thursday, the movement they’re showing on D is fantastic now; which leads to less cheap fouls as well.
Use it to stifle Battle.

I watched a good chunk of the NW game, when Williams constantly was causing havoc by driving into the lane; he couldn’t go that against us.

Fun having a bigger guard like Carrington, as he’s so strong, with good lateral movement, that they can’t get downhill on him, into the lane.
The OSU guard owned us last December and dropped 26 on us. He had a free ticket to the hoop. This will be a very tough test for our perimeter D. He did 22 against Purdont. Will be interesting to see who guards him. Probably switch off with Mitch, Hawk and BC. Battle did 25 on us. Will Garcia be on him? This be a great barometer on how much our perimeter D has improved.

The OSU guard owned us last December and dropped 26 on us. He had a free ticket to the hoop. This will be a very tough test for our perimeter D. He did 22 against Purdont. Will be interesting to see who guards him. Probably switch off with Mitch, Hawk and BC. Battle did 25 on us. Will Garcia be on him? This be a great barometer on how much our perimeter D has improved.
I think 🤞 our D is light years of then and the help Dhas been really good the last several games; this is a good game to have before Nebby. I think Cam’d D has vastly improved too, as he’s gotten used to the speed and physicality of B10 guards.

I like how our schedule is set up for our tourney push.

Can't help but wonder if next year is a rebuilding year. They will lose 3 starters and potentially a 4th. Then depending on Ola Joseph's they could lose 2 of their top 3 reserves. So enjoy this season while we can!

Can't help but wonder if next year is a rebuilding year. They will lose 3 starters and potentially a 4th. Then depending on Ola Joseph's they could lose 2 of their top 3 reserves. So enjoy this season while we can!
Which starters will they lose?

Top Bottom