***OFFICIAL RUTGERS AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Gophers go up by 17 - I actually allowed myself to think that "OK, I can relax now." and then the Gophers turned their brains off and allowed Rutgers back into the game.

This team does a lot of things well, but they can also look so clueless at times. way too many empty possessions on offense. you can't take anything for granted - which makes the games exciting, but also makes them nerve-wracking.

they need to win the 3 remaining home games.
I know this horse has been dead for awhile now, but we really need more guards. I'd love it if we had two more playable guards.

We also need better inbounds plays. They need to throw that flag football baseline thing away and I'd love to see us not always end up with just Hawkins and Mitchell on opposite sides of the court (long passes and lots of dribbles).

We also kind of bullied a team that is known for playing physical.

We aren't an easy out for anyone right now.
Agreed, and a lot of that is what can happen when Payne is able to stay out of foul trouble and get more minutes. And as he gains confidence in putting the ball on the floor and

This summer, Payne needs to be locked in a gym to practice free throws.
If he can't hit 60% I would make him shoot underhanded.

He should do it on his own at this point.

Had to watch under a little delay so just got to the end of the game. Got a little hairy there for a few minutes but great win by the guys tonight.

Payne was a beast, Fox and Carrington provided some big minutes off the bench, Garcia, Hawkins, and Mitchell clutch from the line at the end to ice it.

Looking forward to being in the Barn Thursday night to watch them take down the Buckeyes.

I’m genuinely surprised we had Payne on the floor for these last 2 1/2 minutes the whole time after the mini meltdown. At the point where Rutgers had got it close how did they not just foul Payne literally every time we had the ball? It seems like that is definitely the strategy to go for.
Uh, they subbed him in on defense and out when possible on offense…

I know this horse has been dead for awhile now, but we really need more guards. I'd love it if we had two more playable guards.

We also need better inbounds plays. They need to throw that flag football baseline thing away and I'd love to see us not always end up with just Hawkins and Mitchell on opposite sides of the court (long passes and lots of dribbles).

More specifically, a Bobby Jackson type that has cojones the size of Alaska when the game is on the line. Here's to hoping these guys continue to grow in pressure situations.

Had to watch under a little delay so just got to the end of the game. Got a little hairy there for a few minutes but great win by the guys tonight.

Payne was a beast, Fox and Carrington provided some big minutes off the bench, Garcia, Hawkins, and Mitchell clutch from the line at the end to ice it.

Looking forward to being in the Barn Thursday night to watch them take down the Buckeyes.
Hawkins with 16 pts, 6 boards & 7 dishes

Yeah...pretty sloppy play towards the end to let Rutgers come from down 17 to down 6.
However, with 1:42 left, the Gophers made 9 of 10 FTs on 5 consecutive posessions to secure the win....Nice to see after horrible earlier FT attempts.

Ok… that was a lot of fun to hit up. Much better than my last game in attendance, from the Pitino era.

Free throws, free throws, FTs… needs a lot of work. Breaking the press was brutal to watch, almost cost them tonight, but Ben tempered the situation nicely with the time outs. That was straight panic for about a minute.

Gotta say this team isn’t so bad, ya know? Didn’t the coaches pick them to finish last in the conf?

Good win but you might be looking a long time to find a team in the country that is dumber than the Gophers.
God Bless you and please find some peace in your life - that’s what the path is about, not being angry and judgmental at everything in the world - that ain’t heaven kiddo

Ok… that was a lot of fun to hit up. Much better than my last game in attendance, from the Pitino era.
Glad you had fun and thank you for going.

Who knows , maybe there’s another one in your future.
Free throws, free throws, FTs… needs a lot of work. Breaking the press was brutal to watch, almost cost them tonight, but Ben tempered the situation nicely with the time outs. That was straight panic for about a minute.

Gotta say this team isn’t so bad, ya know? Didn’t the coaches pick them to finish last in the conf?
Everyone basically picked them to finish last.

Last edited:

It is just too bad for that Iowa loss and the crap non conference schedule. This team passes the eye test as a tourney team to me.
We have plenty of big chances left. We control our own destiny.

Hold serve at home and win 2 of three on road and earn our way in

Last edited:

This wasn't a big win for tourney our chances, but it was massive for setting us up well in the Big Ten tournament to make a legitimate run.

It's mid-February, and there's still hope!

Top Bottom