***OFFICIAL - REAL U OF M (GOPHERS) @ FAUX U OF M (WOLVERINES) - GAME THREAD!!!***

Wow this thread is pathetic. I've never seen so many posts ripping a coach. We are getting killed and these players are to blame. Players lose the game sick of always hearing the complaining on pitino. Our guys did not play well and did not play with great effort, this second half especially. As a player you need to have more pride than that. Its actually quite embarrassing how terrible they have been. And they have shown they can play well. These kids need to get better and need to play with much better effort.
There is a reason Pitino is 34 games below .500 and it's not just players

amazing how many more clean looks we get now that Michigan's backups are in and the defensive intensity drops.
And the bench is knocking down those clean looks, something that has evaded the starters.

That was an embarrassing effort. Not sure about you guys, but I'm at the point now I just don't feel they are worth flipping the tv on for when they are playing a road game.

Side note: Hunter Dickenson is going to be one of those annoying Garza types who we're going to have to see dominate for 4 years, huh... (which I don't get, capitalize on your ability to make money now. the 3 years' salary adds up)

Honestly I think everyone could agree that ten minutes into the first half it was pretty obvious we were gonna get smoked just by the types of shots we were taking and the stupid turnovers we committed... yeah the score was close at halftime but it was a matter of time. I’ve had a lot of positive things to say and I’ve enjoyed this team, but that all boils down to bad coaching and a team that looks unprepared.

Side note: Hunter Dickenson is going to be one of those annoying Garza types who we're going to have to see dominate for 4 years, huh... (which I don't get, capitalize on your ability to make money now. the 3 years' salary adds up)

I don't think he'll be around that long.

I don't think he'll be around that long.

Hope not. He's a helluva player. And kind of old too, wouldn't think he'd even want play college all beyond 1-2 years.

I think this game just exposed the fact that the skill level of our players after Carr and Robbins is just not anywhere near the level of a top-ten team. Shooting, ball-handling, passing-not even close. We still have a nice team, and probably a top-25 team. We have few guys that can effectively break down the defense off the dribble drive. I thought Gach was going to be one of those, but he hasn’t been. Who do we have besides Carr to do that? So many guys that just look flustered on the perimeter with the ball when facing tough defense-like they are just trying to not turn the ball over. We need more guys with skill to attack.

Wow this thread is pathetic. I've never seen so many posts ripping a coach. We are getting killed and these players are to blame. Players lose the game sick of always hearing the complaining on pitino. Our guys did not play well and did not play with great effort, this second half especially. As a player you need to have more pride than that. Its actually quite embarrassing how terrible they have been. And they have shown they can play well. These kids need to get better and need to play with much better effort.
RP needs to ripped. He doesn't put the players in a position to get good looks. The lane is always clogged for Carr. He allows Carr to control the ball instead of creating ball movement on the perimeter.
Three man weave anyone? Or creating some weakside offense? RP's offense is horizontal instead of vertical to the basket like Michigan. Post up Robbins like Wisconsin does. RP encourages the 3 and the guys aren't bashful. And on and on and on and on.........

Yes players need to step it up. Gach is a huge disappointment, plays timid and is easy to guard. Same with Ihnen. People rip Gabe but he is working on his offensive game. Same with Williams who plays with an edge. Robbins got schooled by a Frosh so what does that tell you. Johnson gives effort but the talent is not there.

RP needs to give Freeman, Mitchell, Williams more PT. Sorry Curry. He already lost one Fr by keeping him on the bench, even during mop up time. IMO, there isn't that much that seperates some of the bench players from starters other than experience.

Hopefully Gabe misses the bus on Sunday. And please, if there are any basketball coaches reading this forum, please send the Gopher staff your out of bounds plays. As was obvious, they don’t have any now.

The ONE positive from last years underachieving was the teams fight on the road. They should have won at Purdue, the should have won at Wisconsin, they were in the game late at Penn State, at Illinois, and at Indiana. There is just no (positive) consistency from Pitino and we're now in year 8. Being 3-3 in the B1G this year at this point is solid, but how they've gotten there doesn't inspire much confidence that A. They will end up above .500 or B. That anything we are seeing will continue to at least equal success in a potential year 9 for Pitino.

I thought the team came out and played hard to start the game, but they had no success getting good shots from the opening tip. They were also very sloppy with the ball and occassionally inatentive on defense which lead to them being fortunate to only be down 6 going in to halftime. I felt like the effort was unacceptable in the 2nd half and am very tempted to use the "Q" word, but will refrain for now.

The depth that some here and many in the media touted this team to have simply isn't there. When Brandon Johnson went out, the early Ihnen minutes were ugly. When Robbins went out, Curry was overmatched. On the perimeter, Mashburn is a fine (maybe above league average?) Freshman but not sure he's even average if you compare him to first guard/wing off the bench around the league.

I wish we saw at least some sign of things heading in the right direction tonight, but we certainly did not.

This is an general question. Why do teams struggle on the road? I never in my life understood that. I LOVED playing on the road. I'd rather piss off the other teams fans than play at home. Just seems weird to house teams at home then get DESTROYED every road game

The lack of development of the 2nd year players is distressing. Ihnen seems to have regressed from the end of last year. Williams is no better and in some ways not as good. Freeman is the bright spot of the group but barely plays.

This is one completely downer of a day in any measurable way 😖

The lack of development of the 2nd year players is distressing. Ihnen seems to have regressed from the end of last year. Williams is no better and in some ways not as good. Freeman is the bright spot of the group but barely plays.

Both Gach has me more concerned than any of the sophomores.

This is an general question. Why do teams struggle on the road? I never in my life understood that. I LOVED playing on the road. I'd rather piss off the other teams fans than play at home. Just seems weird to house teams at home then get DESTROYED every road game
It’s like elections. When you’re on the road the other team doesn’t always count all your points; or sometimes adds fouls to your team totals. It’s rigged folks...the whole thing is a fraud!

The ONE positive from last years underachieving was the teams fight on the road. They should have won at Purdue, the should have won at Wisconsin, they were in the game late at Penn State, at Illinois, and at Indiana. There is just no (positive) consistency from Pitino and we're now in year 8. Being 3-3 in the B1G this year at this point is solid, but how they've gotten there doesn't inspire much confidence that A. They will end up above .500 or B. That anything we are seeing will continue to at least equal success in a potential year 9 for Pitino.

I thought the team came out and played hard to start the game, but they had no success getting good shots from the opening tip. They were also very sloppy with the ball and occassionally inatentive on defense which lead to them being fortunate to only be down 6 going in to halftime. I felt like the effort was unacceptable in the 2nd half and am very tempted to use the "Q" word, but will refrain for now.

The depth that some here and many in the media touted this team to have simply isn't there. When Brandon Johnson went out, the early Ihnen minutes were ugly. When Robbins went out, Curry was overmatched. On the perimeter, Mashburn is a fine (maybe above league average?) Freshman but not sure he's even average if you compare him to first guard/wing off the bench around the league.

I wish we saw at least some sign of things heading in the right direction tonight, but we certainly did not.
It's one game. A bad one against a really strong team. Putting it in perspective we are 3-3 in the Big Ten and we have played 6 ranked teams in conference. I'll take it- even though I really disliked what I saw in the second half.

Some teams are great on the road. Of course they are great period.

6 assists in 40 minutes ... lots of “no pass” possessions ... even after clearing the bench the subs come and make no passes before putting up shots ... no reaction from the coach makes me think they’re really not held accountable to a style of play.

Defense was actually worse than the offense.

So was I. Off the top of my head I remember losing at Indiana 96-50 with a decent Clem team. There were others. Doesn’t excuse this year’s performances. Just facts.
I guess we respectfully disagree on this topic then. In my opinion, Clem’s teams played really hard and had a toughness about them. He brought a toughness and passion that rubbed off in the team. I don’t see anything like that from RPs teams. Maybe we just have vastly different opinions.

Guys breaking down the defense and going one-on-one is the offensive equivalent of:

1+1+1+1+1=1

Teams built on the concepts of ball movement and cutting is equivalent to:

1+1+1+1+1=5

It's one game. A bad one against a really strong team. Putting it in perspective we are 3-3 in the Big Ten and we have played 6 ranked teams in conference. I'll take it- even though I really disliked what I saw in the second half.
It's 3 games. All 3 road games they have been down 30 (!) points in the 2nd half. The Gophers were much, much closer to losing at home to Loyola Marymount, Boston College, or Iowa than they have been to getting a road victory. So yes, 3-3 at this point in the conference schedule is fine, but only if you believe something will drastically change on the road and they will continue to handle business on the home floor. I certainly hope that will be the case, but we certainly haven't seen anything this year (or in 6 of the 7 previous years) to believe that will happen.

I guess we respectfully disagree on this topic then. In my opinion, Clem’s teams played really hard and had a toughness about them. He brought a toughness and passion that rubbed off in the team. I don’t see anything like that from RPs teams. Maybe we just have vastly different opinions.
Clem’s players would run through a wall for him. Unless there was a classroom on the other side of that wall.

Top Bottom