***OFFICIAL PURDUE AT MINNESOTA AFTERNOON IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Amazing win. Definitely gives a lot of hope for the remaining home games! Purdue is a very tough matchup for us, so it was awesome to see us overcome Williams.
Probably could have done something about him besides continuing to let Robbins go one on one but whatever...we won!

Weirdest feeling ever. Great to get exceptionally lucky and win a game you have no business winning, very disappointing to be in that position to begin with. Absolutely petrified that this could lead to another year of Pitino.

I felt like the Gophers were outworked, outplayed, and outcoached all game long. I believe Purdue finished like 2-17 from 3 and at one point they were 1-15 and had complete control of the game with a bunch of Freshman and Sophomores on the road in a game that Minnesota absolutely had to win. I don't know what the rebounding numbers ended up being, but Purdue just abused the Gophers to get numerous second shot opportunities. I'd expect to have a comfortable lead at home against almost anyone shooting 1-15 from 3 in a must win game, and the Gophers trailed for like 30 straight minutes.

At the end of the game, Pitino somehow allows Williams an entire side of the court to himself to take multiple dribbles and back down Robbins who he absolutey abused all game to take the lead. Then the Gophers come back down with Carr and a full shot clock and he launches a shot very reminiscent of the Rutgers game, but this time it banks in. If that shot misses, every single post on here would be about how the F was that the shot again. Then Purdue comes down and gets Williams the ball in great postion again. If Williams doesn't slip he scores, unless Johnson gets there for the block.

On a positive note, Marcus Carr made the 3 best plays of the first half by any player on either team, then made those huge free throws to tie it. Then Gabe gets fouled with the Gophers up 1 and makes both clutch free throws. The Gophers never go 2-2 from the line in these spots and it was refreshing to see Marcus and Gabe step up and knock them down.

I can't say enough good things about Brandon Johnson. In a game where it really seemed like a lot of Gophers (especially Gopher bigs) lacked the fight, Brandon brought the energy and effort for every minute of his time on the floor. The Gophers are never in the position to get lucky without what Brandon did to keep them within striking distance for much of the game.

Weirdest feeling ever. Great to get exceptionally lucky and win a game you have no business winning, very disappointing to be in that position to begin with. Absolutely petrified that this could lead to another year of Pitino.

I felt like the Gophers were outworked, outplayed, and outcoached all game long. I believe Purdue finished like 2-17 from 3 and at one point they were 1-15 and had complete control of the game with a bunch of Freshman and Sophomores on the road in a game that Minnesota absolutely had to win. I don't know what the rebounding numbers ended up being, but Purdue just abused the Gophers to get numerous second shot opportunities. I'd expect to have a comfortable lead at home against almost anyone shooting 1-15 from 3 in a must win game, and the Gophers trailed for like 30 straight minutes.

At the end of the game, Pitino somehow allows Williams an entire side of the court to himself to take multiple dribbles and back down Robbins who he absolutey abused all game to take the lead. Then the Gophers come back down with Carr and a full shot clock and he launches a shot very reminiscent of the Rutgers game, but this time it banks in. If that shot misses, every single post on here would be about how the F was that the shot again. Then Purdue comes down and gets Williams the ball in great postion again. If Williams doesn't slip he scores, unless Johnson gets there for the block.

On a positive note, Marcus Carr made the 3 best plays of the first half by any player on either team, then made those huge free throws to tie it. Then Gabe gets fouled with the Gophers up 1 and makes both clutch free throws. The Gophers never go 2-2 from the line in these spots and it was refreshing to see Marcus and Gabe step up and knock them down.

I can't say enough good things about Brandon Johnson. In a game where it really seemed like a lot of Gophers (especially Gopher bigs) lacked the fight, Brandon brought the energy and effort for every minute of his time on the floor. The Gophers are never in the position to get lucky without what Brandon did to keep them within striking distance for much of the game.
Writer boy will be by shortly to condemn this type of post....

So glad you premised your comments with a commentary about our coach.

Who the Fck Cares.........
Same response verbatim I was about to post. The “I’m so butthurt I can’t be mad” post, so I’ll just do my only talking point anyways.

“if he gets there for the block”

he swatted that shit like a housefly

Absolutely petrified that this could lead to another year of Pitino
This is exactly where I'm at. I like the Gophers to win and it was nice to get a win but I don't like this type of win if we have to endure more of Pitino. We know who he is and I'm sorry to be a downer but I just don't want to see him coaching next year. I hope we make the final 4 this year, but let's have a new coach next year haha. I'm exaggerating but I thought this was just a bit lucky here today. Wasn't exactly a coaching display from Richard.

If Gabe gets going though, that is a huge game changer.

Thrilled with the win. Feels like pulled that one out of our ass but big ten wins are hard to come by so I’ll take it!
Gophers were down at half and win by 3. Pitino clearly out coached Painter. Did I do that right?
Haha strangely enough it seems these 2 teams games are always close, and Pitino has won alot lately against painter.

This is exactly where I'm at. I like the Gophers to win and it was nice to get a win but I don't like this type of win if we have to endure more of Pitino. We know who he is and I'm sorry to be a downer but I just don't want to see him coaching next year. I hope we make the final 4 this year, but let's have a new coach next year haha. I'm exaggerating but I thought this was just a bit lucky here today. Wasn't exactly a coaching display from Richard.

Regardless of how this season ends, Pitino cannot be the coach of this program going forward.

Absolutely needed that win. Not sure the offense sets were any better at the end of this game as opposed to some of the losses, but sometimes shots go in, so we will take it.

Dang. Miserable spot to be in

Gophers were down at half and win by 3. Pitino clearly out coached Painter. Did I do that right?
If Pitino hadn’t made the play call at the end for Gabe to hit both his FTs—could have been a totally different outcome. I hope we see more of that from Pitino going forward.

Was it a good coaching display by Painter? His team blew the lead. Serious Q as everyone on here loves Painter

Was it a good coaching display by Painter? His team blew the lead. Serious Q as everyone on here loves Painter
I love Painter as a coach. Love.
Funny you didn’t mention the bank shot in your post. Was that a good shot to take in that situation?

I love Painter as a coach. Love.
Funny you didn’t mention the bank shot in your post. Was that a good shot to take in that situation?

Nope. Ever seen a team get lucky?

painters team failed to execute. Williams traveled and that was that. Couldn’t even get a good look with 6 seconds and inbounding from their offensive front court. Funny you didn’t mention that in your post.

painters team failed to execute. Williams traveled and that was that. Couldn’t even get a good look with 6 seconds and inbounding from their offensive front court. Funny you didn’t mention that in your post.

I just think failing to run a play with 6 seconds down by 3 is sad. We’d roast Pitino for it.

Johnson got a big rebound late, and I said to my wife, that guy works. He's been worth at least one or two wins this year.

Road win then were ranked again...

Where is all the Carr hate? Oh I see, only if he misses :LOL:

For the record for the "you don't comment on wins crowd" stupid 4pm tip and work so I didn't get to watch 🤣 another nice win for the resume

Been lots of those against Mn in the past. Luck. Painter got exactly what he wanted with Williams. Exactly.
Mn won. Glad for that. Even the bank shot.

Road win then were ranked again...

Where is all the Carr hate? Oh I see, only if he misses :LOL:

Live with the Hero Ball, die with the Hero Ball.

Today, the Gophers lived.

The question is, do you want to base your team's success on a strategy that amounts to a flip of the coin?

I would rather see a team that can set up and execute a well-designed play, rather than relying on an individual effort.

I have an observation I want others’ input on that doesn’t seem to get discussed much from what I’ve seen... Is it just me or have the foul calls really dried up when Carr drives to the hoop? I feel like 3-5 shots at the rim he’s getting hacked or bumped with no calls... Am I crazy?

I have an observation I want others’ input on that doesn’t seem to get discussed much from what I’ve seen... Is it just me or have the foul calls really dried up when Carr drives to the hoop? I feel like 3-5 shots at the rim he’s getting hacked or bumped with no calls... Am I crazy?
Early in the season he was getting those calls and making 8 FTs a game.... now he might get 2 FTAs?

Exceptionally lucky? Come on.

Normally you have very solid analysis of the games. I'll gladly say that. But I think your fear of Pitino returning/dislike of him is really starting to cloud these post-game recaps.

There was one "lucky" play tonight - Carr's banked 3. That said, the Gophers have been victim to plenty of lucky plays that have gone the other way in our lifetimes.

Other than Carr's banked shot, the dude hit some very big shots to even get us into that position. The Gophers also played very good defense down the stretch to close the gap.

Williams slipped because we were right on him and he was trying to pump-fake. Regardless, Johnson was all over it for the block if there wasn't a whistle.

Shit happens at the end of basketball games. Again, I get it, your view is clouded as you realize Pitino and squad are chalking up yet another very quality ranked win. That had to be a troubling time inside your head.

All I can say is this was not a "lucky" win. The Gophers fought back against a very good team and made big plays when it mattered. One banked shot doesn't change that. Williams got plenty of lucky bounces off of blocked shots or or off the rim as well.

Try and enjoy it a little. Much more fun to be in the hunt heading into March than hoping our coach gets fired - which is not close to a certainty in this athletic department budget environment.

Top Bottom