***OFFICIAL PURDUE AT MINNESOTA AFTERNOON IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Painter is my 2nd favorite big ten coach and i wrote a post about that yesterday. However was really unimpressed with his postgame tonight. All whining and gave the gopher's zero credit. One of the worst postgames i have heard.

Painter is one of the best coaches in the conference. His teams consistently compete. Has good game plans. For whatever reason the Gophers do well against him. I mean a few years ago Carson Edwards went 17/68 against the Gophers in 3 games. (68 shots in 3 games. He took 31 @ Williams. Insane) Trevion Williams had 4 fouls in 3 minutes in the 31 shot game. Might have been senior night.

anyway, the Gophers do well against Purdue considering where they typically finish in the conference.

I only think an epic run in the tourney wins Pitino a non-firing; for that that's three wins in the tourney.
Making it to the Sweet 16 alone isn't enough at this point.

Road win then were ranked again...

Where is all the Carr hate? Oh I see, only if he misses :LOL:
Like the game before, Richard had no clue what to do. The only difference is that Carr's whack shot ricocheted into the basket.

Kudos to the Gophers for getting stops and to the refs for the phantom travel call against Williams.

Was it a good coaching display by Painter? His team blew the lead. Serious Q as everyone on here loves Painter
I thought that baseball pass with 7 seconds was questionable haha. I'm thinking they're not thrilled with Painter in West Lafayette tonight but he has proven himself I'd say. I think Painter had those guys in the elite 8 just 2 years back or so.

Like the game before, Richard had no clue what to do. The only difference is that Carr's whack shot ricocheted into the basket.

Kudos to the Gophers for getting stops and to the refs for the phantom travel call against Williams.

Phantom travel? Even Hummel didn't mind the call. The Gophers made a good defensive play that forced a travel. No need to thank the refs

Dang. Miserable spot to be in
It's not. We've got great options for guys that wanna come in and coach this program. That's the reason you can bail on a guy like Pitino. If you think what happened today is sustainable...I'm just not so sure it is. I'm a big Gophs fan and would just like to see some sustained success from our team and reach higher long term. Coyle is more than capable of hiring that guy based on who he is brought into the U already.

End of the day I have no control so I might as well cheer for Ws, I just personally feel there's better options to give a shot.

I thought that baseball pass with 7 seconds was questionable haha. I'm thinking they're not thrilled with Painter in West Lafayette tonight but he has proven himself I'd say. I think Painter had those guys in the elite 8 just 2 years back or so.

He did. Lost to the gophers in the B1G tourney. Lost to UVA in the NCAA tourney.

This to me makes up for the Rutgers loss. A game stolen at the end with Gabe getting hit and thankfully Carr’s shot being lucky. Agent 0 didn’t have a great game, but the rest of the team stepped up. Purdue is playing well right now too.

What's your honest opinion on the whole of Pitino though?

As a coach he is pretty lousy. Solid enough recruiter. Really seems to care. Good guy. I think his players like him and play hard. There is so little direction for the team/program. Hard to watch sometimes.

I’ll celebrate wins. I’ll be disappointed when they lose. I don’t believe he should be the head coach next year but I wish him well.

There is so little direction for the team/program
This is the hardest part for me. Not knowing what you're going to get game to game, season to season. Not really having any sort of culture established.

I like Pitino at the mid-major level though. I think he'll do alright. Probably will end up getting another shot at Power 5 at some point.

It just seems clear at this point that he isn't the best guy to have leading our program going forward.

It's not. We've got great options for guys that wanna come in and coach this program. That's the reason you can bail on a guy like Pitino. If you think what happened today is sustainable...I'm just not so sure it is. I'm a big Gophs fan and would just like to see some sustained success from our team and reach higher long term. Coyle is more than capable of hiring that guy based on who he is brought into the U already.

End of the day I have no control so I might as well cheer for Ws, I just personally feel there's better options to give a shot.

Fair take. I guess when I look at this year, while we have struggled on the road, we have at least 5 very very quality wins. We have only lost to one team at home (Maryland) that we should have beaten (although the Terps have at least 3 Top 10 wins, so they're not horrible).

As far as the road games we have lost, which game was the one where you would say "there's no way we should have lost that"?

@ Illinois - ranked #6
@ Wisconsin - very good team
@ Michigan - ranked #3
@ Iowa - top 10 most of the year
@ Purdue - also ranked
@ Rutgers - ranked team

Its not like we lost on the road to Big Ten bottom feeders. They're literally all tournament teams. Sure, not closing the Rutgers game was frustrating. Purdue getting hot in the 2nd half sucked. We got run out pretty quick in the others. But at the end of the day, they're all still losses to good teams.

If we lose our remaining 3 road games, I'll be surprised. But I think lots of people are letting the road losses from an extremely tough slate overshadow the overall season. Both announcers today noted how tough the schedule has been. Its funny how different the perception on this board is...but that's all because there are so many people that just won't give Pitino ANY credit.

Live with the Hero Ball, die with the Hero Ball.

Today, the Gophers lived.

The question is, do you want to base your team's success on a strategy that amounts to a flip of the coin?

I would rather see a team that can set up and execute a well-designed play, rather than relying on an individual effort.
Lol, prey tell, what play would you run? I am serious. Besides Carr pulling (which is our best chance obviously as its responsible for atleast 3 wins......

Onions by Carr. We won a game we had to business winning, which you need sometimes. But it was kinda hard to watch. Robbins had a very tough day. We still have no coherent offense in crunch time. etc. etc. etc.

Onions by Carr. We won a game we had to business winning, which you need sometimes. But it was kinda hard to watch. Robbins had a very tough day. We still have no coherent offense in crunch time. etc. etc. etc.
Does crunch time start at 14 minutes to go? That's when we started chucking 3s, "to get back into the game"

I only think an epic run in the tourney wins Pitino a non-firing; for that that's three wins in the tourney.
There's zero chance he gets fired after making the Sweet 16. Zero.

The odds of him getting fired if we make the tournament at all are way less than 50/50 IMO. While I don't agree with Doogie that he comes back no matter what just because of his buyout, it would be beyond terrible optics to fire a coach who just won a tournament game (or more than 1) and pay him a buyout to go away given all else that is going on.

This is 2019 all over again. We should probably move on from him. But if they win the games they need to down the stretch he will survive. He has 9 lives here apparently.

Does crunch time start at 14 minutes to go? That's when we started chucking 3s, "to get back into the game"
We're like a football team that looks pretty good with it's first 15 scripted plays and then goes to pieces after that. It almost always gets worse as the game goes along.

Purdue drew up an awesome play during a timeout that led to a dunk. When is the last time the Gophers drew up a play during a TO that made you go "wow." I can't recall one off-hand.

Was just thinking that Johnson is a grown man. He has shown a lot of toughness in this last stretch of games.

I cannot watch these games live anymore, so I do not comment much as the games play out, but I agree with this.

For my own sanity I need to be able to delay the viewing at least by an hour so I can fast forward past the official reviews, commercials, studio shows, free throws and any trend that starts to annoy me like the whole Maryland game.

Johnson is a very interesting player. He was sort hyped up coming in then looked like a dud. He then went crazy and hit all the threes to beat Iowa. Now he pretty much battles bigger players inside all game and suddenly explodes with a dunk like no one else on the team.

The more I look at him, he cannot weigh more than 220 or so even if he is 6-8, but he sure plays a lot tougher than his weight. I hope he comes back next year. Jordan Murphy sort spoiled us with undersized power forward performance, but I do like this guy.

Tough day for Robbins he is getting abused by their starting and backup center. Getting beat up... tough game

Well, as it turns out we won the game, but I do not get Pitino's aversion to giving Freeman a little time to come in and knock around a top player like Tre Williams and maybe get him off his game.

Freeman showed showed he can fill up the space, get some rebounds, and be physical.

He has OK feet too, so I think Pitino missed a chance go beat on the Purdue Bigs for a few minutes today. Pitino is either very stubborn or he is getting bad input at times from his assistants.

Love to, but see my three kids and their sports activities come first as well as my job. I have seen enough in 8 years and a lot of basketball to know it’s time for a new coach.

Your kids are not an excuse for the absurdity of opining on an event you did not watch.

You are correct again, but....in my view not just because of doubts the AD may have about Pitino and his overall results, but also due to the general dynamic between ADs and the incumbent coaches they inherit.

The same thing played out with Claeys and Coyle, even though the there were other twists to that story. Regardless Coyle has a strong desire to do it his way, as wit all incoming ADs. Unless Pitino gets to the the round of 16, I think he is cooked, but will diverge with G NYC demand / expectation for one more win to save him.

The bar Coyle is errecting is high, so I agree Pitino is finished, and I am sure not how I feel about that.

They better hit a home run with the next hire. I still like the John Belien idea, old as hell or not. He does not come off as a fossil on TV.

That Maryland game really annoyed me, and was pretty standard for the Pitino era, but a win like today is always rousing.

As a coach he is pretty lousy. Solid enough recruiter. Really seems to care. Good guy. I think his players like him and play hard. There is so little direction for the team/program. Hard to watch sometimes.

I’ll celebrate wins. I’ll be disappointed when they lose. I don’t believe he should be the head coach next year but I wish him well.

I think he is way better than Dan Monson was here and might be better than DM has been at Long Beach if he gets the right opportunity.

Top Bottom