***OFFICIAL PENN ST AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

most nights, the Gophers are a pretty good team for about 30 minutes. and a pretty ugly team for the other 10 minutes. today it worked out in their favor.

that's the frustrating thing. if they could ever put together a complete 40-minute game on offense and defense, they could be really good. but most nights, some aspect of their game is off for at least part of the game.

you can see the potential there - but you also see the things that are holding them back from realizing that potential.

I guess it's a little bit like the golfer who remembers every good shot, and sits in the clubhouse thinking, "if I could play my entire round like that, I'd be 3 under par."

I only have one question for Ben Johnson after this game. And that is why didn’t Parker Fox start the second half?

Hypothesis test.

Garcia leaves early in the 1st half with fouls and sits, and sits, and sits -- data.

He comes back in second half - data.

Conclusion: Per critics, Ben Johnson can't even heat up water, he burns it.

Christie starting to get some NBA Draft consideration. I don't think it's out of the question he declares after this year. Either way, looks like a potential 1st rounder for 2025 at minimum. Good on him. I do hope he comes back.

Fox with a nice, emotional thank you to the crowd. Didn‘t sound like a guy who is planning on another year. I didn’t realize he already graduated with his Master’s last year!

most nights, the Gophers are a pretty good team for about 30 minutes. and a pretty ugly team for the other 10 minutes. today it worked out in their favor.

that's the frustrating thing. if they could ever put together a complete 40-minute game on offense and defense, they could be really good. but most nights, some aspect of their game is off for at least part of the game.

you can see the potential there - but you also see the things that are holding them back from realizing that potential.

I guess it's a little bit like the golfer who remembers every good shot, and sits in the clubhouse thinking, "if I could play my entire round like that, I'd be 3 under par."
I think the defensive effort is the key. If the coaches can get them to buy in on that end for 40 minutes this team could be really good.

Fox with a nice, emotional thank you to the crowd. Didn‘t sound like a guy who is planning on another year. I didn’t realize he already graduated with his Master’s last year!
That's to bad, he really brings energy, not surprising though.

Christie starting to get some NBA Draft consideration. I don't think it's out of the question he declares after this year. Either way, looks like a potential 1st rounder for 2025 at minimum. Good on him. I do hope he comes back.
He is way too green at this point, would get eaten alive in the NBA without more experience or ride the bench.

There would be no reason to go this year, if it was an option, unless he’s a lock to go in the first half of the half round as he’d lose too much money.

Not sure how much cache either one those accounts has, compared to a site like NBAdraft.net, which has been doing it for at least ten years IIRC. As I’m sure you realize, having a twitter account and an opinion is not indicative of any type of expertise.

Looked at NBAdraft.net after Illini game and Hawkins Was 62 and Shannon was 13 on their big board of 100. You will also see 4 or 5 Kentucky Freshman listed in the first round as well.

He needs to add strength and a better handle.

Last edited:

He is way too green at this point, would get eaten alive in the NBA without more experience on ride the bench.

Oh yeah he's definitely not ready IMO, but if he's getting late 1st round grades after this season, you can't really blame him if he leaves. And it's a very weak draft this year. If he goes 25th he's looking at a 4-year deal worth about $13.5 million.

Would be nice to have him back, but understandable. Doesn't need/want to be a 25 year old student.

There would be no reason to go this year, if it was an option, unless he’s a lock to go in the first half of the half round as he’d lose too much money.

Not sure how much cache either of the has, compared to a site like NBAdraft.net, which has been doing it for at least ten years IIRC. As I’m sure you realize, having a twitter account and an opinion is not indicative of any type of expertise.

Looked at NBAdraft.net after Illini game and Hawkins Was 62 and Shannon was 13 on their big board of 100. You will also see 4 or 5 Kentucky Freshman listed in the first round as well.

He needs to add strength and a better handle.

Vecenie works for The Athletic. He's their main NBA Draft guy. He ranks 100 prospects each draft. He's right up there with Givony. He's very credible. I would honestly take his opinion over just about anyone.

If he's mocked as a late 1st rounder, he's basically guaranteed at least $12.5 million.

Crowd looked mostly in place at tip off on TV. The energy in the Barn in the last 10 minutes must have been crazy high.
Over 11K.

Most this year, right?

Hopefully we have a similar turnout on Wednesday.

Vecenie works for The Athletic. He's their main NBA Draft guy. He ranks 100 prospects each draft. He's right up there with Givony. He's very credible. I would honestly take his opinion over just about anyone.
He had him for 2025, not this year; the other guy mentioned 2024. It appears you’re conflating the two tweets.

If he's mocked as a late 1st rounder, he's basically guaranteed at least $12.5 million.
And if he waits until after his Sophomore season, he’d likely make more money. As he’d be a higher pick.

His family lives in an affluent Chicago suburb and his older brother already has NBA cash - i don’t think he’s scarp ping the couch cushions for pizza money.

This is where patience is a friend and by staying a year you get to improve on your weaknesses, do you get the second contract. It’s being strategic with your career.

Last edited:

He had him for 2025, not this year; the other guy mentioned 2024.

And h waits until his Sophomore season, he’d likely make more money,

His family lives in an affluent Chicago suburb and his older brother already has NBA cash - i don’t think he’s scarp ping the couch cushions for pizza money.

This is where patience is a friend and by staying a year you get to improve on your weaknesses, do you get the second contract.

Yes I know, but that's just projecting when he would come out. If Christie declares, he would have to revise his projection.

I know nothing of his family status. But a late 1st rounder is still guaranteed a 4-year contract.

You may be right that he could make more money if he comes back, improves, and is drafted higher. But a lot of variables go into it. He'd be a year older, and also declaring in a better draft.

Top Bottom