***OFFICIAL PENN ST AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Go through all the BIG teams that run 3 guards out there. Think the only team that has a 3rd guard that scores better than Mitchell is Northwestern.
It ain't Wisconsin, nor Michigan State. Not Nebraska or Iowa. Penn State? Nope. Maryland and Rutgers is a no. And Purdue is a no.

Good work. If we're just talking about points per game, there might be a correlation with minutes played here. We know that Northwestern has leaned very heavily on its starters this season and our top three guards play a lot of minutes. In terms of wear on the tires, Hawkins in particular has become the point guard equivalent to Mo Ibrahim recently.

The quantitative evidence continues to refute that claim while jokers like you continue to make it. The conference is rated second best this year by rating indexes just like it was last year. Using a simpler but completely unambiguous measure, the conference's winning percentage this season is the highest of the past five seasons. The clearly lowest winning percentage during that period was the pandemic season (20-21).

Now, the conference's winning percentage this season is below the average of the five seasons prior to the most recent five but not by much. One might be able to make a good argument that the Big Ten's recent history is weaker than the period spanning 5 to 15 years ago.

The evidence that many clods around here have used to claim that the conference is really weak in this particular year is that there are only two ranked teams this season. That's only slightly more convincing than saying "there's no global warming because it's cold out today."

And that same rating index(NET) also tells us there are 5 top 50 teams. When compared to last year there were 9. In 2022 there were 8. And in 2021 there were 9 as well. This is the weakest the league has been since 2018.

Now, in the grand scheme of THIS season, it's still a good league. It's rated really well in the NET because the bottom of the league is much better than the bottom of the other P6 leagues. Really only Michigan is terrible, and their not on the level of teams like DePaul, Gtown, UL, West Virginia etc.

I'm sure you'll ignore this though.

Good work. If we're just talking about points per game, there might be a correlation with minutes played here. We know that Northwestern has leaned very heavily on its starters this season and our top three guards play a lot of minutes. In terms of wear on the tires, Hawkins in particular has become the point guard equivalent to Mo Ibrahim recently.
196 of the last 200 minutes. Tough little player.

And that same rating index(NET) also tells us there are 5 top 50 teams. When compared to last year there were 9. In 2022 there were 8. And in 2021 there were 9 as well. This is the weakest the league has been since 2018.

Now, in the grand scheme of THIS season, it's still a good league. It's rated really well in the NET because the bottom of the league is much better than the bottom of the other P6 leagues. Really only Michigan is terrible, and their not on the level of teams like DePaul, Gtown, UL, West Virginia etc.

Twisted Tea can't understand both being highly rated this year and the conference being way down in quality this year can both be true.

Twisted Tea can't understand both being highly rated this year and the conference being way down in quality this year can both be true.

Now I understand. You can't read. I didn't say that at all. Obviously it doesn't take much to talk over your head.

Well, yes, there was a very good chance that I would ignore your post because I've had you "on ignore" for at least a month or two. I put three people at the same time on ignore that day.

I only took you off ignore this time because I saw BarnBurner's preposterous characterization of my post in response to yours and I wondered if your post was as dumb as his. To your credit, it was not.

You still can't seem to understand that a true conference rating must include all teams in the conference, not just the best ones, and if the bottom teams in our conference are better than the bottom teams in other conferences, well, that counts too. You also can't seem to grasp that a team with a NET rank of #70 is still a pretty good team and has a fair chance of beating more than a few teams ranked in the Top 50.

Well, yes, there was a very good chance that I would ignore your post because I've had you "on ignore" for at least a month or two. I put three people at the same time on ignore that day.

I only took you off ignore this time because I saw BarnBurner's preposterous characterization of my post in response to yours and I wondered if your post was as dumb as his. To your credit, it was not.

You still can't seem to understand that a true conference rating must include all teams in the conference, not just the best ones, and if the bottom teams in our conference are better than the bottom teams in other conferences, well, that counts too. You also can't seem to grasp that a team with a NET rank of #70 is still a pretty good team and has a fair chance of beating more than a few teams ranked in the Top 50.

I do understand the bold part. It's a big part of the reason why the B1G is ranked 2nd in the NET. To the league's credit, we don't have a truly awful team(Michigan is getting there though) like the Big East does(DePaul & Gtown), or the SEC does(Vanderbilt and Missouri). But using that same formula, the B1G doesn't have as many quality teams as it usually does.

Being ranked 2nd in the NET doesn't make the league bad, never argued that. It just doesn't have as many quality teams as it normally does. I'm honestly not sure what is so controversial about the B1G being down. Last year it sent 8 teams to the tournament and had a First Four Out team. The B1G has been really, really good in 2021, 2022 and 2023.

This isn't to diminish the accomplishments of what the Gophers have accomplished this season. This is an independent conversation.

Also, why did you put me on ignore? Was it really because I said the IU game was the 2nd easiest road game we had left? That's the only other time I even remember corresponding back and forth with you.

I do understand the bold part. It's a big part of the reason why the B1G is ranked 2nd in the NET. To the league's credit, we don't have a truly awful team(Michigan is getting there though) like the Big East does(DePaul & Gtown), or the SEC does(Vanderbilt and Missouri). But using that same formula, the B1G doesn't have as many quality teams as it usually does.

Being ranked 2nd in the NET doesn't make the league bad, never argued that. It just doesn't have as many quality teams as it normally does. I'm honestly not sure what is so controversial about the B1G being down. Last year it sent 8 teams to the tournament and had a First Four Out team. The B1G has been really, really good in 2021, 2022 and 2023.

This isn't to diminish the accomplishments of what the Gophers have accomplished this season. This is an independent conversation.

Also, why did you put me on ignore? Was it really because I said the IU game was the 2nd easiest road game we had left? That's the only other time I even remember corresponding back and forth with you.
You're on ignore if you challenge anything cbj and Mn winning.

It’s good to rest Hawk when pressure is light, most of the time he was waiting just inside half court for the ball
I agree with that and was pleased to see Mike and Cam could handle it well.
You're on ignore if you challenge anything cbj and Mn winning.
Most here don't put you on ignore, Barnie. After all, we come here for fun. And not much is more enjoyable than seeing Ben and the boys toss you in the dumpster and haul out the trash. Like that last game.

I agree with that and was pleased to see Mike and Cam could handle it well.

Most here don't put you on ignore, Barnie. After all, we come here for fun. And not much is more enjoyable than seeing Ben and the boys toss you in the dumpster and haul out the trash. Like that last game.
Three months ago, daka$$ was an excuse machine. Meanwhile, some real fans expected winners in year three.

Not daka$$.

Love the shot at around 1:20 when Christie starts to drive, stops and drills a 3 and you see the PSU defender just look over at his bench and spread his arms like "WTF am I supposed to do against that".

Took me back to years ago when I was doing highlight videos for Holy Angels football and Larry Fitzgerald was still in high school. I can remember a pass play where he caught a TD in the EZ and I just watched the poor DB look at his bench and give a similar gesture because he had zero shot at stopping Larry.

Three months ago, daka$$ was an excuse machine. Meanwhile, some real fans expected winners in year three.

Not daka$$.
Either your memory is better than mine or you’re fabricating. Good bet would be

Not daka$$.
Either your memory is not so good or you're a liar. Nobody ever went broke betting the latter.

Or perhaps you could show some examples of me being an "excuse machine"?

Either your memory is better than mine or you’re fabricating. Good bet would be

Either your memory is not so good or you're a liar. Nobody ever went broke betting the latter.

Or perhaps you could show some examples of me being an "excuse machine"?
Why did cbj back out of the preseason tourney? Why did cbj schedule one of the weakest ooc schedules?

Daka$$ says team needs time to gel. No need to lose games, they are so fragile it might prevent them from winning later.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Your low expectations kill Mn bb.

The U need a new place that puts the students across the floor and the fans above the floor. Our atmosphere is not nearly as good as others in big ten. @ Nebraska @ Illinois last two games were what it should be like here.
I think students were on spring break, so that might've contributed to the atmosphere.....when there's good basketball, Williams has one of the best atmosphere in all of basketball IMO

Why did cbj back out of the preseason tourney? Why did cbj schedule one of the weakest ooc schedules?

Daka$$ says team needs time to gel. No need to lose games, they are so fragile it might prevent them from winning later.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Your low expectations kill Mn bb.
Wait a minute, Karine .... You said I made excuses for the team but now you ask me instead why Ben did this or that?

When did I make excuses, dipshiit?

Nobody has made an excuse for the non-conference schedule. It was deliberate because being competitive in the Big Ten was the very important objective. The decision was correct. The team is competitive in the Big Ten.

Wait a minute, Karine .... You said I made excuses for the team but now you ask me instead why Ben did this or that?

When did I make excuses, dipshiit?

Nobody has made an excuse for the non-conference schedule. It was deliberate because being competitive in the Big Ten was the very important objective. The decision was correct. The team is competitive in the Big Ten.
You can't be serious. You've said the team needed time to gel etc. that's why the pathetic ooc schedule. that is a stinky excuse.

Own it

You can't be serious. You've said the team needed time to gel etc. that's why the pathetic ooc schedule. that is a stinky excuse.

Own it
Try to read it slowly, Karine. Did you go to school in Baltimore?

Nobody has made an excuse for the non-conference schedule. It was done DELIBERATELY for a good reason.

The team finished last in the conference the year before. The team was picked by pundits and Baltimore-educated writers to finish 14th this year. The team had eight new players on the roster.

Johnson used an easy schedule to find out who could play. He prepared the team to be competitive in the Big Ten. That is the only thing that matters when you are coming from last place.

The Minnesota Gophers are competitive in the Big Ten. Johnson's strategy was correct and it succeeded to the point where you and similar garbage are being hauled out to the dump by Ben and the boys quite a bit.

Nobody has made an excuse for the non-conference schedule. It was done DELIBERATELY for a good reason.

The team finished last in the conference the year before. The team was picked by pundits and Baltimore-educated writers to finish 14th this year. The team had eight new players on the roster.

Johnson used an easy schedule to find out who could play. He prepared the team to be competitive in the Big Ten. That is the only thing that matters when you are coming from last place.

The Minnesota Gophers are competitive in the Big Ten. Johnson's strategy was correct and it succeeded to the point where you and similar garbage are being hauled out to the dump by Ben and the boys quite a bit.
Oooh, 8 new players. Many of them with significant experience.

You are a great example, daka$$, of the reason Mn has been a doormat in bb for so long.

Excuses and rationalizations. Low non existent expectations. You, Mnvcguy, and marky coyle.

Making an argument that the schedule was deliberately bad IS the excuse. I hope that helps.

Oooh, 8 new players. Many of them with significant experience.

You are a great example, daka$$, of the reason Mn has been a doormat in bb for so long.

Excuses and rationalizations. Low non existent expectations. You, Mnvcguy, and marky coyle.
How many basketball games have been won in the last three years by your high expectations? Name them.

Making an argument that the schedule was deliberately bad IS the excuse. I hope that helps.
Wrong. A deliberate strategy that proves correct needs no excuse.

When the schedule was announced did you post here a warning that it would likely prevent Minnesota from making the NCAA tournament?

When the schedule was announced did you post here a warning that it would likely prevent Minnesota from making the NCAA tournament?
There were a lot of posters that said making the ncaa with the ooc schedule would be difficult. So yes, many did.

But daka$$ ignored those posts. And now crows about a 500 conference record. NOW. And makes excuses with his bargain basement expectations.

Well done.

I was only trying to alleviate the confusion you were having, not trying to argue if you were right or wrong. My thoughts on the non conference were "weak AF", it appeared to be a signal the coach didn't believe in himself or the team. Now a potential winning conference record won't even be rewarded with an NCAA bid like it would virtually every other year. Brilliant!

We should kill Indiana. Am more worried about this one today. Feels like a trap game. Nitts aren’t bad at all, and Gophers have to make sure they’re not too haughty after their strong offensive performance vs. a leaky Illinois defense.
This didn't age well. 😉

Top Bottom