***OFFICIAL OHIO STATE AT MINNESOTA IN-BATTLE THREAD!!!***

Tempering my enthusiasm just a bit after last night. Our half court offense in the second half struggled to find shots much of the time. When we got stops though we were able to get out and run and had much less issues. Getting those stops helped to extend the lead in the second half but when we didn’t get those the lead closed quite a bit. Hopefully our half court offense improves yet this season.

Edit: pleased to see Payne not in foul trouble for a second game in a row.

Last edited:

(even more uninteresting stats)
Hawkins tied his personal record on free throw attempts last night with 11, which he set his Freshman season at Howard.
Garcia has the most attempts in a game this season with 16 in the season opener.
Dawson has been in double figures scoring in every game he has played this season with the exception of Nebraska.
Payne has had 18 free throw attempts in the last 2 games. 11 against Rutgers, his most ever.

The offense didn’t just go to crap the last 5 minutes. It was disrupted by a seemingly endless OSU foul fest!

It sure seemed like their strategy to get back into the game was to make us lose at the charity stripe.

(even more uninteresting stats)
Hawkins tied his personal record on free throw attempts last night with 11, which he set his Freshman season at Howard.
Garcia has the most attempts in a game this season with 16 in the season opener.
Dawson has been in double figures scoring in every game he has played this season with the exception of Nebraska.
Payne has had 18 free throw attempts in the last 2 games. 11 against Rutgers, his most ever.
And he only played a few minutes of the Nebraska game before getting hurt so that one really shouldn't be held against him in terms of point total.

Something I've been saying all year. Team needed time to gel and more P5 teams would have likely just been more losses.
I don't disagree that it would have meant more losses but not sure that matters as non con is keeping them from the bubble as well. I will contend that they might have come together earlier if they played tougher competition early. I will also contend that you owe it to your paying fans to play some competive non cons at home. That said, happy with how they are playing these days.

Last night it was good to see him put it on the floor and try to get to the rim a few times - getting the and 1, pulling up then passing it back to I think Hawkins for the 3 and I think he had one that was blocked. Earlier in the year he would have just kept taking 3's and probably missing, but he is starting to add to his game here of late.
Can you tell us, where did you buy your crystal ball?

Tempering my enthusiasm just a bit after last night. Our half court offense in the second half struggled to find shots much of the time. When we got stops though we were able to get out and run and had much less issues. Getting those stops helped to extend the lead in the second half but when we didn’t get those the lead closed quite a bit. Hopefully our half court offense improves yet this season.

Be careful what you say, Tucker32 might think you are BB clueless

I think there will be many more portal options available moving forward
, for good players who want to play team 🏀
Johnson has done remarkably well so far in the portal considering good players have wanted nothing to do with Minnesota. That will all change this Spring if we have a couple of spots to fill. Minnesota will now be a destination for better portal players. We have a strong, improving program with a proven good coach, currently in the running for BIG COY.

Rather than mining for good transfers that are under the radar -- Hawkins and Mitchell -- Ben will have good options to pick from.

The offense didn’t just go to crap the last 5 minutes. It was disrupted by a seemingly endless OSU foul fest!

It sure seemed like their strategy to get back into the game was to make us lose at the charity stripe.

Scored more in the second half than in the first.

Etsy of course. Why, do you need one?:unsure::oops::p
No but thanks for asking. Your take here, was so spot on I just had to ask.

"Earlier in the year he would have just kept taking 3's and probably missing"

Our new goal needs to be to make the bubble and then make some kind of statement in the tournament, That will take recruiting to the next level. Not only will it get the hometown kids to start believing, those portal beings will start to want to get in on the good stuff too.

Scored more in the second half than in the first.
Look at the game tracker. You’ll see there was a long stretch with little scoring from us. It was a longer stretch than we had in the first half. Fouls at the end of the game and when threes or three point plays occur also play into how much scoring occurs in each half.

Look at the game tracker. You’ll see there was a long stretch with little scoring from us. It was a longer stretch than we had in the first half. Fouls at the end of the game and when threes or three point plays occur also play into how much scoring occurs in each half.
No matter how scored, there were more in the second half. Given the lead, I would assume Gophs would score more points from the line at the end of the game. It is refreshing to be discussing how they scored the points in a win!

We do? Ben still hasn't proven anything yet.
He hasn't?
Roster Construction: He has shown that he can build a team that has some depth at all levels.
Recruiting FR: He has been able to identify talented HS players, offer and land them over the past two years. He's also found some in the portal.

Team Buy in: This one has been prevalent throughout his tenure. Even last year, you could see the players were fully into doing what he was asking them to do - although they had struggles to say the least in actually executing it.

Emphasizing Defense: Players know that if they don't perform on that end, they don't get much PT and they are playing team defense well. Think of all the times the past two years, people posted about our bigs on the d end trying to change the direction of the opposing guards on screen and roll. Most people wanted him to stop doing it, because we were getting beat on it often. They stuck with it and now this year they have played those high screen and rolls so much better. Payne still gets a little too physical on them at times and gets cheap fouls (last nights wasn't even a foul), but he has cut down on those recently.

Offense Philosophy: He has stuck to a system and now with a better set of guards it is starting to look good to great at times. We still have lapses on that end and I would like to see them run more stuff to get our shooters open looks when we do have those times of multiple bad possessions in a row. Maybe that will come next year, especially for Christie.

In-Bounds plays: on the offensive end they run some good sets to get shots quickly when needed or to get a certain guy the ball in scoring situations. On inbounding after an opponent score - they still need some work vs. the press

In game coaching: He is a work in progress. The really good thing that he does right now is to remain calm no matter what is happening on the floor. He occasionally is animated, but not too often. He works the officials, but not in a way that is easily seen on TV like Fran or Izzo. He's also shown an ability to adjust in game and through the season.

Player Development: Hawkins was a TO machine and out of control early in the year. Since BIG play has started he has really cut down on the out of control play and TO's. Payne is developing a really nice inside game both from the block and elbow. He's also improving in his FT shooting. Garcia has improved his overall game. Mitchell has improved in his decision making(most of the time) and shot selection.

Please explain what he hasn't proven yet.

Last edited:

In game coaching: He is a work in progress. The really good thing that he does right now is to remain calm no matter what is happening on the floor. He occasionally is animated, but not too often. He works the officials, but not in a way that is easily seen on TV like Fran or Izzo. He's also shown an ability to adjust in game and through the season.
He definitely does a good job keeping his composure but he probably could stand to be a bit more animated at times, especially at home. There was a point last night after another horrible call by the ref that was working the side of the court the coaches were on that I thought Ben was right on the verge of getting a technical but he kept his cool.

In some ways I kind of wish he had because the crowd would have loved it.

No matter how scored, there were more in the second half. Given the lead, I would assume Gophs would score more points from the line at the end of the game. It is refreshing to be discussing how they scored the points in a win!
Truth. There were far more possessions in the second half that went down to the last second of the shot clock and a virtual Herculean effort from one of our players to score though. Could have been great defense from OSU or less than stellar half court offense from us. Either way a fun win.

He hasn't?
Roster Construction: He has shown that he can build a team that has some depth at all levels.
Recruiting FR: He has been able to identify talented HS players, offer and land them over the past two years. He's also found some in the portal.

Team Buy in: This one has been prevalent throughout his tenure. Even last year, you could see the players were fully into doing what he was asking them to do - although they had struggles to say the least in actually executing it.

Emphasizing Defense: Players know that if they don't perform on that end, they don't get much PT and they are playing team defense well. Think of all the times the past two years, people posted about our bigs on the d end trying to change the direction of the opposing guards on screen and roll. Most people wanted him to stop doing it, because we were getting beat on it often. They stuck with it and now this year they have played those high screen and rolls so much better. Payne still gets a little too physical on them at times and gets cheap fouls (last nights wasn't even a foul), but he has cut down on those recently.

Offense Philosophy: He has stuck to a system and now with a better set of guards it is starting to look good to great at times. We still have lapses on that end and I would like to see them run more stuff to get our shooters open looks when we do have those times of multiple bad possessions in a row. Maybe that will come next year, especially for Christie.

In-Bounds plays: on the offensive end they run some good sets to get shots quickly when needed or to get a certain guy the ball in scoring situations. On inbounding after an opponent score - they still need some work vs. the press

Player Development: Hawkins was a TO machine and out of control early in the year. Since BIG play has started he has really cut down on the out of control play and TO's. Payne is developing a really nice inside game both from the block and elbow. He's also improving in his FT shooting. Garcia has improved his overall game. Mitchell has improved in his decision making(most of the time) and shot selection.

Please explain what he hasn't proven yet.

What hasn’t he proven yet? You can’t be serious with this comment. He hasn’t won anything. Hasn’t beaten a ranked team. Hasn’t made a NCAA tournament.

Pitino did all of that several times. Then he was a proven good coach right? Why did we fire a proven good head coach?

Ben still has the worst record of any MN basketball head coach ever.

Johnson has done remarkably well so far in the portal considering good players have wanted nothing to do with Minnesota. That will all change this Spring if we have a couple of spots to fill. Minnesota will now be a destination for better portal players. We have a strong, improving program with a proven good coach, currently in the running for BIG COY.

Rather than mining for good transfers that are under the radar -- Hawkins and Mitchell -- Ben will have good options to pick from.
That said, may he continue to do as well as he did with Hawk and Mitchell! These two are diggers, they just want to win. We have all seen more talented guys that settle for less.

What hasn’t he proven yet? You can’t be serious with this comment. He hasn’t won anything. Hasn’t beaten a ranked team. Hasn’t made a NCAA tournament.

Pitino did all of that several times. Then he was a proven good coach right? Why did we fire a proven good head coach?

Ben still has the worst record of any MN basketball head coach ever.
Well..

Ben Johnson through year 3: 39-48
Clem Haskins though year 3: 38-49

With Clem we have the beauty of the rear view mirror- it's all ahead for Ben.

There was a stretch from about 16 minutes left in the 2nd until about 10 minutes left where the Gophers only scored 2 points. But OSU only scored 7 in that same timeframe. The defense wasn't great all game but it did potentially save the game right there with that stretch.

In the past I feel like those bad stretches were on both ends so instead of a 7-2 run, it's a 15-2 run or something like that.

We do? Ben still hasn't proven anything yet.
He has proven that he wasn't as bad as you thought. I admit I have felt the same way as you do/did. He has made a lot of progress and that is proof of a lot. Lot's more to do: Get to a Tournament. Finish in the top 4 in the Big Ten. Win a Big Ten championship. Get to an elite eight and a final four. Dare I say win a natty? At some point we have to have a guy make the steps, make progress, and get enough traction to win big. I hope it is Ben because he is who we have and he seems to have the player's attention and hearts.

He definitely does a good job keeping his composure but he probably could stand to be a bit more animated at times, especially at home. There was a point last night after another horrible call by the ref that was working the side of the court the coaches were on that I thought Ben was right on the verge of getting a technical but he kept his cool.

In some ways I kind of wish he had because the crowd would have loved it.
You saw CBJ covering his mouth as he was questioning the blocking call against Payne. He started voicing it out but decided to not share his true feelings to the public.

He has proven that he wasn't as bad as you thought. I admit I have felt the same way as you do/did. He has made a lot of progress and that is proof of a lot. Lot's more to do: Get to a Tournament. Finish in the top 4 in the Big Ten. Win a Big Ten championship. Get to an elite eight and a final four. Dare I say win a natty? At some point we have to have a guy make the steps, make progress, and get enough traction to win big. I hope it is Ben because he is who we have and he seems to have the player's attention and hearts.

Progress over being the worst coach in history means nothing. It doesn’t mean he has accomplished anything.

If you buy a stock at $20 and it goes down to $2 after 2 years, then after year 3 it goes back to $10, it’s trending back in the right direction.

But you’ve still lost half of your money with no guarantee it’s going to get back to what you purchased it for.

It takes time to change the mentality of a player, not to speak of a team. For example, someone sold Hawkins on becoming a facilitator vs what he looked like when he first showed up, a hero turn over prone guard. While he can drive one a little crazy still, he has been far more effective as the season goes on. Payne, also more aggressive, and is turning into a plague on the inside for the rest of the league. Garcia is far more invested I; being a leader, in the past i thought he was over rated and coasted. Johnson stuck with BC through both his loss of shooting touch, and his brief absence and recognized his value as a defender.

I like Johnson’s stated belief that if you do the work and follow the process the rest takes care of itself. Basically play as well as you can, and at the end of the game look up at the scoreboard and see how it turned out. That’s all you can do!

Top Bottom