***OFFICIAL OHIO STATE AT MINNESOTA IN-BATTLE THREAD!!!***

Recruiting FR: He has been able to identify talented HS players, offer and land them over the past two years. He's also found some in the portal.
With all due respect, at this point in his career, this statement would be a stretch at best. Just to name a few in state misses, Winters, Freitag, Kafke.

It is early in his time as a HC so that can and most likely will improve. However, let's hold off for now on his recruiting prowess. When he does something like Pikiell, (2) top 5 recruits coming in the same class then we can raise the glass of champagne.

Clem went to the sweet 16 in year 3
He did and that was his record AFTER he did it. Clem was a great coach here and it took him time. He still wasn't great when he got to a sweet sixteen- he was just on the road to it. They got in as an on the bubble squad that year with a .500 Big Ten record. If Ben finishes 11-9 and then wins one or two in the BTT and happens to be the last team in and then they beat a couple teams is he a great coach? Nope. It's the long haul that puts you on the continuum between terrible and great.

That said, may he continue to do as well as he did with Hawk and Mitchell! These two are diggers, they just want to win. We have all seen more talented guys that settle for less.
Getting guys with the drive and attitude of Hawk and Mitchell shows Johnson has a good read on intangibles. -- guts, heart, and the will to win. He will apply the same skill when looking at higher rated transfers.

Progress over being the worst coach in history means nothing. It doesn’t mean he has accomplished anything.

If you buy a stock at $20 and it goes down to $2 after 2 years, then after year 3 it goes back to $10, it’s trending back in the right direction.

But you’ve still lost half of your money with no guarantee it’s going to get back to what you purchased it for.
We bought Ben at $2. He slumped to $.50. He is now at $4. Will he get to $20 or $40? No one knows.

Did Battle say anything after the game?

Did he go to the podium for Ohio State?

Progress over being the worst coach in history means nothing. It doesn’t mean he has accomplished anything.

If you buy a stock at $20 and it goes down to $2 after 2 years, then after year 3 it goes back to $10, it’s trending back in the right direction.

But you’ve still lost half of your money with no guarantee it’s going to get back to what you purchased it for.
Minnesota basketball stock was $0.06 when Johnson started. It's been trending up ever since.

We do? Ben still hasn't proven anything yet.

What you talkin' about, Willis?

-Recruiting, check

-Player development, check

-Team chemistry, and they obviously like the coach, check

-Wins, check

-Fun to watch, check

-The last year of the precious regime left little, Ben was like a new start up HE built, check

-It's Minnesota, land of 10,000 lakes and 10,000 tops for NIL budget (I don't know actually, just making a point about NIL disadvantage in this Vikings and other pro teams town)

With all due respect, at this point in his career, this statement would be a stretch at best. Just to name a few in state misses, Winters, Freitag, Kafke.
He didn’t actively recruit Freitag; if you don’t believe me, go back and read his recruiting thread.

His priority was Asuma from the beginning IIRC.

It is early in his time as a HC so that can and most likely will improve. However, let's hold off for now on his recruiting prowess. When he does something like Pikiell, (2) top 5 recruits coming in the same class then we can raise the glass of champagne.

Did Battle say anything after the game?

Did he go to the podium for Ohio State?
Did anyone from Ohio St go to the podium? The post-game show on BTN only showed their coach in a long interview in what looked like a hallway.

He didn’t actively recruit Freitag; if you don’t believe me, go back and read his recruiting thread.

His priority was Asuma from the beginning IIRC.
No need, I believe you. My point is the jury is still out on his recruiting abilities. Let's not crown him just yet. The excitement is there but keep it real in the process.

We bought Ben at $2. He slumped to $.50. He is now at $4. Will he get to $20 or $40? No one knows.

Ben hasn’t accomplished anything close to what the previous coach has accomplished which was below average. And he was fired for it.

And now he’s worth more?

Man you guys are really dumb. It’s actually insane.

Ben will still be fired if he doesn’t make the NCAA tournament next year. I’d like to believe you guys actually understand that but apparently you don’t.

No need, I believe you. My point is the jury is still out on his recruiting abilities. Let's not crown him just yet. The excitement is there but keep it real in the process.
Nope. All is forgotten! Long live the king!

Winter is from Lakeville which is actually in Wisconsin.

What you talkin' about, Willis?

-Recruiting, check

-Player development, check

-Team chemistry, and they obviously like the coach, check

-Wins, check

-Fun to watch, check

-The last year of the precious regime left little, Ben was like a new start up HE built, check

-It's Minnesota, land of 10,000 lakes and 10,000 tops for NIL budget (I don't know actually, just making a point about NIL disadvantage in this Vikings and other pro teams town)
Apparently none of that matters anymore in assessing him. Now its overall record, BIG record/Titles and NCAA success. He's a complete failure and still a disaster.

I think you sold and fired him at half time of the first Nebraska game, which was unfortunately when he was at $0.50.

Getting guys with the drive and attitude of Hawk and Mitchell shows Johnson has a good read on intangibles. -- guts, heart, and the will to win. He will apply the same skill when looking at higher rated transfers.
You are spot on. The year to year change in energy has been incredible.

That doesn't mean GH and BTN pundits won't award you "investor of the year" apparently.

What hasn’t he proven yet? You can’t be serious with this comment. He hasn’t won anything. Hasn’t beaten a ranked team. Hasn’t made a NCAA tournament.

Pitino did all of that several times. Then he was a proven good coach right? Why did we fire a proven good head coach?

Ben still has the worst record of any MN basketball head coach ever.
The statement I responded to was your "He still hasn't proven anything yet"
Everything there that I listed was something he has proven. Is he perfect in any of them? No
Does he have room to grow and improve with them? Absolutely.

Yes, he needs to take the next step and get them into the top part of the conference, to the NCAA tourney (which by the way, the season is not over and we still have an outside shot to make it) and improve his overall and BIG Record. But to say he hasn't proven anything is completely disingenuous, especially coming from the one who started the disaster thread with basically a lot of the things I mentioned in my post you responded to.

Apparently none of that matters anymore in assessing him. Now its overall record, BIG record/Titles and NCAA success. He's a complete failure and still a disaster.

Look at the roster. It is like a new startup.

I remember watching a presentation where they showed the stock price of a startup before it took off in value. The company was Ford. Then they asked, is Tesla next? I don't think it had made a profit yet at that point.

I am sorry you expect more from the freshman Christie, Payne the man sophomore, my fav, startups take awhile.

If I were you I wouldn't try to make a living picking stocks in startup sectors. Stick to establishes blue chip stocks you would know best like Sears.

The jury convenes every day. It is a never ending process to evaluate players, teams, and coaches.

As of today, the jury is very favorably disposed to the idea that Johnson is proving to be a good head coach at the University of Minnesota. He has taken a shambles and turned it into a competitive team trending upward late in the season.

Jurors understand progress.

Ben hasn’t accomplished anything close to what the previous coach has accomplished which was below average. And he was fired for it.

And now he’s worth more?

Man you guys are really dumb. It’s actually insane.

Ben will still be fired if he doesn’t make the NCAA tournament next year. I’d like to believe you guys actually understand that but apparently you don’t.
Why would anyone believe a moron who said Ben would be fired during his first season, then it was after his first season, then it was during his second season, then it was before his third season?

There are a few dumb people around here. You are clawing and scratching to be recognized as the dumbest.

The Yankees were the best team in baseball last year because ..... 1927.

Look at the roster. It is like a new startup.

I remember watching a presentation where they showed the stock price of a startup before it took off in value. The company was Ford. Then they asked, is Tesla next? I don't think it had made a profit yet at that point.

I am sorry you expect more from the freshman Christie, Payne the man sophomore, my fav, startups take awhile.

If I were you I wouldn't try to make a living picking stocks in startup sectors. Stick to establishes blue chip stocks you would know best like Sears.
He is still heavily invested in Pan Am and Studebaker.

Well..

Ben Johnson through year 3: 39-48
Clem Haskins though year 3: 38-49

With Clem we have the beauty of the rear view mirror- it's all ahead for Ben.
Coach Krzyzewski first 3 years at Dook
38-47

CBJ probably doesn't heavily recruit the kids who are too cool for school, don't D up, aren't coachable, and fail to lock in mentally, or most importantly aren't team players. He'll never get every MN kid that is ranked highly by "experts" because by that time, good coaches have already put their bids in. Prime example: Isaac Asuma wasn't heavily recruited as a sophomore from Cherry, but CBJ was all over him early because he's a good kid, leader, and is coachable. He's now "expertly" rated above Freitag in same class. A better get for CBJ.

Top Bottom