***OFFICIAL OHIO STATE AT MINNESOTA IN-BATTLE THREAD!!!***

I get the point you are trying to make and I don't even really disagree as what you are describing has been an issue for this team.

But - this feels like a weird game to use as an example. Yes, Ohio State amped up the pressure and was able to trim the lead some late but they never got close enough to really make the game feel like it was in doubt. If anything, last night was a perfect example of the team learning from past mistakes and closing out the game strong.

There is always room for improvement on every team and I would contend that you can see this team growing and improving as the season goes on. The wins over Rutgers and Ohio State have been two of the most complete games this team has played this season.
Agree. They for the most part handled the press. Part of it looking different from Rutgers is that Rutgers may be the best in college with the full court press.

Prior to last night's game (0-2) Carrington had (quietly) hit on six of his last twelve 3 pointers.

Last edited:

Battle can be a really big asset if he just plays and takes what's given to him. Last night he did a pretty good job overall. His missed 3 was badly forced but that was probably the only really bad shot he took.

May have started slightly before because they were down 17, but it is still the end of game press vs what a team would do for the entire game. Two very different things.
Based on what you saw vs the Hawkeye and again last night, is it something that would be of a concern for you moving forward?
Do you think both the Hawkeye and the Buckeye took the Gopher out of their offensive flow and forced them into their half court offense that was terrible at best in the waning moments of the game?
Were the shot clock violations and the hail mary shots part of my imagination?

Just sayin

For stat nerds, most efficient offensive game they have played this season in BIG play and most efficient since the 101-65 victory over IUPUI

Got to give Ben Johnson credit. These guys dont give up and play hard for Ben. I was gonna give it this year and if we finished last again, i was gonna say we definately need a change. The one thing that we needed to get rid of was the perception of gopher basketball. For the last 5 or 6 years people and players have tried to avoid us like we have some disease. Im sure other coaches have used this against us in recruiting as well. I think we have gotten rid of that and were starting to build something. Obviously, we need to maintain this success and even get better the next few years. Have to keep the main core of this group together. Easier said than done, but at least were having a positive experience this year. Will we maintain this? I dont know, but it has been a fun year!

Based on what you saw vs the Hawkeye and again last night, is it something that would be of a concern for you moving forward?
Do you think both the Hawkeye and the Buckeye took the Gopher out of their offensive flow and forced them into their half court offense that was terrible at best in the waning moments of the game?
Were the shot clock violations and the hail mary shots part of my imagination?

Just sayin
Do you know anything about basketball? This post really demonstrates you don't.

I will say what I have said the last few games. This team looks like a tournament team. The play hard, good defense, rebound and have now(last 4-5 games) started to play great offense. It's a shame we lost Wisky and Iowa games, but they still have a decent shot, no matter what the rankings say at the moment. They are playing well and can beat anyone right now.

THE Ohio State University ran into one of THE biggest buzzsaws of the Big Ten when they encountered THE Gilded Gophers of Minnesota. Poor Battle see's the grass isn't always greener on the other side and he should have known that a Gopher would be much better at picking out proper grassland than a damn Buckeye seed. We need better decision-makers on this team anyway.

Curious if anyone noticed was there any drama or reactions with Battle in the handshake line at the end of the game? The tv didn't show much.
I had a very good view and looked for it. No drama that I saw and more friendly greetings for some than others. Mostly cordial and a bit perfunctory.

Something I've been saying all year. Team needed time to gel and more P5 teams would have likely just been more losses.
They should have just stayed in the Vegas tournament. If they'd done that, the non-conference would still be weak but not embarrassing.

Ben also need to learn to schedule a higher grade of cupcake. Tubby's staff was very good at that. Instead of playing the worst team in the MEAC/SWAC/ASUN, play the 2nd or 3rd best team. You'll still win and it won't kill your SOS as bad.

He has too good a stroke and too good a high school shooting record to have kept bricking the way he had been.
Last night it was good to see him put it on the floor and try to get to the rim a few times - getting the and 1, pulling up then passing it back to I think Hawkins for the 3 and I think he had one that was blocked. Earlier in the year he would have just kept taking 3's and probably missing, but he is starting to add to his game here of late.

Perhaps this has already been addressed but the team has progressed this year mostly due to CBJ's change in strategy. His rotation is now down to his seven best and most defensive minded players. The minutes distribution within the seven players is keeping the players reasonably fresh. The strategy should continue to work as long as nobody gets hurt (Garcia's in game injury cost the Iowa game) and the team avoids foul trouble. The post season consequence is the players outside of the rotation (e.g. JOJ, Betts) will likely leave.

Our PG missing FT’s but Payne/ Fox looked good @ the line tonight.
He was 8-11 from the line last night =73%.

He had -

24 pts
7 assists
2 rebounds & 2 steals
Only 2 turnovers

He was the best PG on the floor last night and may well be preseason B10 next season.

He’s what a better version of D’Andre Matthew’s looks like.

He’s likely to lead the B10 in assists, break the school record as long as he keeps his current apg production. He still has an opportunity to lead the nation in apg as well.

He’s frickin amazing

Thought Battle played well, but between Jamison and Dawson, Garcia is my choice. Better rounded game. Going to rebound better, guard better, drive better, get to the line more often. Battle will shoot outside the arc better.
Perfect analysis. I noticed in the first Suckeye game that it was really personal for Dawson and I think resulted in his highest output of the season. That looked less like that last night, but there was a great degree of satisfaction when Garcia backed Benedict Arnold down for a couple of layups at the end.

Perhaps this has already been addressed but the team has progressed this year mostly due to CBJ's change in strategy. His rotation is now down to his seven best and most defensive minded players. The minutes distribution within the seven players is keeping the players reasonably fresh. The strategy should continue to work as long as nobody gets hurt (Garcia's in game injury cost the Iowa game) and the team avoids foul trouble. The post season consequence is the players outside of the rotation (e.g. JOJ, Betts) will likely leave.
I think there will be many more portal options available moving forward
, for good players who want to play team 🏀

Last night it was good to see him put it on the floor and try to get to the rim a few times - getting the and 1, pulling up then passing it back to I think Hawkins for the 3 and I think he had one that was blocked. Earlier in the year he would have just kept taking 3's and probably missing, but he is starting to add to his game here of late.
Although the one 3 he took when the score was 75-61 and so early in the shot clock....BRAEDEN!!
He went on a drive to the hoop a little over 5 minutes left and was blocked, moments later he did it again and was successful, fouled, and hit the free throw.
Very nice to see.

Although the one 3 he took when the score was 75-61 and so early in the shot clock....BRAEDEN!!
He went on a drive to the hoop a little over 5 minutes left and was blocked, moments later he did it again and was successful, fouled, and hit the free throw.
Very nice to see.
He’s gaining confidence and an imperative piece of our success.

Man, really, really want to see Joshua Ola-Joseph adopt Braeden's willingness on the defensive side.
That and the rebounding. There's no excuse for a guy with his tools to be playing 30 min a game and only grabbing one or two rebounds.

One of the biggest things working against JOJ is his 2nd half against Nebraska. He showed us all (and the coaches) what he's capable of but hasn't found that level since.

I still think we'll see a big game from him before the season is over. Hopefully, it's in one of the upcoming road games!

(more uninteresting stats)
After last night's game Gophers now have 4 players averaging in double figures.
17.7 Garcia
11 Christie
10.5 Mitchell
10.1 Payne
Last time the Gophers finished a season with 4 in double figures was Gabe's freshman year, when he along with Coffey, Murphy and Oturu did it.

Top Bottom