***OFFICIAL OHIO STATE AT MINNESOTA IN-BATTLE THREAD!!!***

There were great tickets for $20 with no obstructed view (I bought some of them for people). Price point was no excuse not to be at this game.
I was at the game only paid 25 bucks for tix. 50 to 55 dollars is stretch for college ball. You can get good Timberwolves tix for that snd see pros. I think you sell the more expensive seats at 39 to 42 bucks and you sell a bunch more. As the team gets better then you increase. The parking and 20 to 25 seats are great value. Fans will come back once they see team is fun to watch again.

Nothing disgraceful about it. In November you had a roster of guys who barely knew each other's names and had never played a college game together as a team. It would have been exceptionally stupid to schedule a Michigan State level non conference slate.
100% it would have been a major mistake to schedule any different.

I was at the game only paid 25 bucks for tix. 50 to 55 dollars is stretch for college ball. You can get good Timberwolves tix for that snd see pros. I think you sell the more expensive seats at 39 to 42 bucks and you sell a bunch more. As the team gets better then you increase. The parking and 20 to 25 seats are great value.
I don't the last time you went to the Wolves, but I haven't seen good tix for $55. And, the second deck at Target Center is awful. The entire upper deck at Williams is pretty good with the overhang and elevated seats, and they were available for $20 last night. Earlier in year Big Ten games were more expensive, I agree. People may have not even checked.

What we agree on is just get people in the door now that they have a team playing well again and people will want to come back.

Thought they played well. Actually extended the lead in the 2nd half when Garcia went to the bench for a breather. Of course they can clean up a few things. Carrington took the ill advised 3, Mitchell with a an unnecessary foul. A few free throws toward the end that were missed that could have made the cushion larger. All in all it’s hard to be very critical. Happy for Ben and the team.

I went to games at the Barn when Olberding, Thompson, McHale, Brewer et al were around. It was insane! You win here, and the people and the noise will come back.

On a different note, a comment on the Strib said that Battles mom, often featured on tv, gave the double bird to the student section last night? Since that’s the only mention of it I saw, the grain of salt may be applicable. That said, the booing was vigorous and consistent.

I don't the last time you went to the Wolves, but I haven't seen good tix for $55. And, the second deck at Target Center is awful. The entire upper deck at Williams is pretty good with the overhang and elevated seats, and they were available for $20 last night. Earlier in year Big Ten games were more expensive, I agree. People may have not even checked.

What we agree on is just get people in the door now that they have a team playing well again and people will want to come back.
Earlier in season you could get lower deck seats during week off seat geek for this. Not so much anymore that is hot ticket. Upper deck at Target center does blow, Couple times paid 23 bucks for Wolves, it was bad view and obstructed by all the people going up and down stairs. You get people to want to come back then they will pop for the 50 to 55 bucks. Helps team is playing well again. Glad the team and coach doing well.

Last edited:

I went to games at the Barn when Olberding, Thompson, McHale, Brewer et al were around. It was insane! You win here, and the people and the noise will come back.

On a different note, a comment on the Strib said that Battles mom, often featured on tv, gave the double bird to the student section last night? Since that’s the only mention of it I saw, the grain of salt may be applicable. That said, the booing was vigorous and consistent.
Probably Step mom, I thought the F U Battle chants were a little over the top even with his antics last game.

It was a nice win. I am not questioning that.

But - if you want to be a really good team, you have to close out games.
at the 3:38 mark, Gophers were up 75-59. they had a chance to put the game away - but over the next 2:07, OSU outscored the Gophers 11-4 to make it 79-70 with 1:31 remaining.

we've seen this before - game gets tight, other team puts on a press, and the lead shrinks.

There is still room for improvement. that is all I'm saying. there is still room for improvement. the Gophers can improve and need to improve if they want to close out the season strong and do something at the Conference Tournament.
You can't let go of the idiotic delusion that there is only one team playing in a basketball game. That everything is totally under their control if they will only concentrate and do things right.

There are two teams on the floor. Both teams have the ability to change the game. Sometimes the other guys play with spurts of more energy, better luck, and more skill. Energy and momentum do shift back and forth.

If you have one guy that doesn't play defense- the whole system breaks down. I have to hand it to Battle- he delivered on the offensive end, so good for him. He just doesn't have a history of making a team better...maybe it’s bad luck or maybe he is just a one dimensional player.
Thought Battle played well, but between Jamison and Dawson, Garcia is my choice. Better rounded game. Going to rebound better, guard better, drive better, get to the line more often. Battle will shoot outside the arc better.

Probably Step mom, I thought the F U Battle chants were a little over the top even with his antics last game.
Yeah the FU chant was definitely over the top, that is Wisconsin level stupidity that our students usually avoid. Was fun joining the chorus of boos everytime Battle touched the ball, impressive that the crowd kept it up all game.

Too Battle's credit he had an amazing game shooting the ball and was really the only reason that Ohio State didn't get blown out of the gym last night.

On a somewhat related note - wonder if Taison Chatman had any moments last night where he wished he was playing for the other side :)

Good. Glad we got under her skin. I booed the shit out of that turncoat all game. People can judge me by that action, and I'll judge her by her action.

Good. Glad we got under her skin. I booed the shit out of that turncoat all game. People can judge me by that action, and I'll judge her by her action.
I'm not a "booer", but I had no problem with that last night.

The "F*ck you Battle" chants were bush league & childish. Not a fan of that crap at all.

And if Battle's mom did indeed flip the double birds, that's childish, as well.

He hugged most of the Gopher players and the coaches. Looked like no hard feelings.
Yep, both the Gophers players and Battle were all business last night. There were no shenanigans that I saw throughout the game. Only thing I noticed once was Battle & Garcia having quick seemingly harmless discussion.

I echo the same thoughts about the the hand-shake line. I stuck around after the game to specifically see that, and everything was cool. Fox and Battle greeting was the only one that stood out; they shared what looked like a genuine bearhug of respect.

I'm not a "booer", but I had no problem with that last night.

The "F*ck you Battle" chants were bush league & childish. Not a fan of that crap at all.

And if Battle's mom did indeed flip the double birds, that's childish, as well.
I had no problem with the booing, but the FU chants was a bad look. However, Jamison did decide to transfer in conference and wrong or not, negative chants were going to be part of the game. Miller Kopp got the same treatment when he transfered from NW to Indiana and from what I observed, NW fans were worse, signs and all.

Last edited:

He hugged most of the Gopher players and the coaches. Looked like no hard feelings.
Not surprising really, I am sure there is not a lot of animosity between Battle and the players/coaches. Battle did what he felt he needed to and in the end it was probably best for both sides since he wouldn't have fit well with this current Gopher team anyway.

The booing was great, the chants from the students were unfortunate. Just a fun game all around.

This is such a bad take. People say this at the end of games all the time about teams all over the country, because almost every team struggles with it. The defensive team is being super aggressive, taking risks, and subbing out 1-2 players they could never afford to sub out earlier in the game. They would or could never play this way for extended periods during the game. Further, the offensive team is not attacking to score because they want to play the clock. The reason you don't see teams press earlier in the game is it wouldn't be as effective because the offensive team, in this case the Gophers, would attack and score. And, teams like OSU couldn't afford to take Battle and the other person (forget his number) they were taking off the floor the last 3-4 minutes. It's comparing apples to oranges with end of game vs something you would do the entire game. The Gophs didn't have any problem with the pressure they put on earlier in the game, and people forget about it because it didn't cause any problem.
I would agree with you however in this case I believe it was started before the final 3 minutes. None the less a real good win for MN!!!

Last edited:

It is amazing I remeber walking out of the barn two years ago when we played OSU thinking we will never be able to out muscle Ohio state. EJ Liddel had 23 and 15 and Zed Key was a monster with 12 and 8 2 blocks. Fast forward 2 years, through the first 35 minutes we are the much more physical team.
Johnson said from the get go he wanted the team to be physical and tough. He finally has that this year.

Thought Battle played well, but between Jamison and Dawson, Garcia is my choice. Better rounded game. Going to rebound better, guard better, drive better, get to the line more often. Battle will shoot outside the arc better.

Which would matter if we didn't have Christie, Hawkins, and Mitchell but not so much now.

Really getting to the line these last two games.
31 last night and 34 against Rutgers. Haven't got into the 30's since the first two games of the year.
Very nice to see.
Also 40 for 86 on 3 pointers in the last 4 games.

I would agree with you however in this case I believe it was started before the final 3 minutes. None the less a real good win for MN!!!
May have started slightly before because they were down 17, but it is still the end of game press vs what a team would do for the entire game. Two very different things.

Battle is a scorer first and foremost. He doesn't bring a whole lot else to the table, but he has a nice stroke and given his size, he can get it off with ease.

Yeah the FU chant was definitely over the top, that is Wisconsin level stupidity that our students usually avoid. Was fun joining the chorus of boos everytime Battle touched the ball, impressive that the crowd kept it up all game.

Too Battle's credit he had an amazing game shooting the ball and was really the only reason that Ohio State didn't get blown out of the gym last night.

On a somewhat related note - wonder if Taison Chatman had any moments last night where he wished he was playing for the other side :)
I was wondering the same thing about Chatman’s thoughts

If you have one guy that doesn't play defense- the whole system breaks down. I have to hand it to Battle- he delivered on the offensive end, so good for him. He just doesn't have a history of making a team better...maybe its bad luck or maybe he is just a one dimensional player.
Hawkins and Garcia outscored Battle.

Really getting to the line these last two games.
31 last night and 34 against Rutgers. Haven't got into the 30's since the first two games of the year.
Very nice to see.
Also 40 for 86 on 3 pointers in the last 4 games.
Free throw totals get helped a lot when you are winning big and teams have to foul to try and get back into it :)

Ben has assembled a really strong bunch of 3 point shooters and Hawkins is great at getting them the ball in good positions to take the shots. Get streaky at times and Mitchell especially will toss up the ill advised 3 sometimes but it is awesome that we have a number of guys capable of hitting that Big 3. Christie didn't do much last night but the 3 he drilled in the second half was a major blow to any hopes OSU might have had of coming back.

Top Bottom