***OFFICIAL NORTHWESTERN AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Getting a little respect from fans around the league for this win. From Off Tackle Empire-----

So the lesson here is, Purdue is almost as good as Minnesota, since Minnesota didn't need 4 technical foul FTs to pad the final score at the end of OT.

Seriously, though, after this and the Wisconsin game, that trip to Williams Arena suddenly seems a lot trickier for Purdue.

MSU plays there soon, and I can't decide if I'm glad Minny got a win out of the way, or if I'm worried that winning might become a habit for them

I am puzzled over the BJ angst about Hawkins foul late in the game. It’s obvious it wasn’t an assigned foul, since in that case Hawkins would have grabbed the guy, not a reach in attempt at a steal. As for Carrington that was also stupid, and he was called on the carpet on the sidelines. Was it fun to watch, nope. Very aggravating, but to think that Johnson called for those plays isn’t being reasonable or fair. Consistent mistakes and slothfulness have consequences as Ole Joseph is finding out. As for the overall offense I think that no offense will ever look efficient if you continue to miss wide open 3’s as is evidenced by our being last in the league in that category. Overall think there is no lack of effort, which as much as anything indicates the impact a coach has on his team.

Ben basically playing 5 guys is what he needs to do if we wanna win. For whatever reason JOJ has gone in the tank. Use Carrington and Fox in spot minutes for rest for the starters.
Nah, JOJ was awesome against Penn State. He blows hot and cold, we will need him multiple times again this year and he will deliver.

The guy is a beast! The amount of court he covers is amazing, and he never takes a play off. It’s a completely different game with him on the floor.
I've said this before, but it bears repeating. On defense and on the boards, he's like the second coming of Jim Brewer, one of the all-time Gopher greats.

1707004498032.png

Love this team. They have their flaws but they are a lot of fun to watch. Future is bright if we can keep this group together.
Just read this quoted on the Bleacher Report feed. Spot on! Nice job MNVCGUY!

I haven’t read through all of this but just in case this photo hasn’t been posted yet:

View attachment 29937

In case people didn't have closed captioning on.....

o4buCjt.jpeg

This Gophers team is interesting - for this reason.

They are good enough to go on runs, get stops and look like a legitimate team - at times.

AND they are also inconsistent enough to go on scoring droughts, turn the ball over, commit dumb fouls and let the other team back in games - at times.

every game is like a blind date - you just don't know what you're going to see when you open the door - or when the game starts.

and that makes the Gophers very interesting - and also very frustrating. usually during the same game.

I think I am seeing a little growth from the start of the season, but that could also just be wishful thinking on my part.

but if you ask me what the Gophers will do in their next game, my answer is "I don't have a clue." they could look great, or they could stink up the place. and neither one would surprise me.

His game is off a bit but he’ll be needed down the stretch. Didn’t like the way he came in today and felt the need to launch two shots. That’s not his game.
Three shots! And a bad foul. It was a low point for him. Hopefully, he will adjust and come back strong.

JOJ spends too much time drifting around the perimeter. If he moved inside and pounded the boards, he'd contribute more and get more playing time.
The ball is basically glued to his hands. I think he shot on the first three or four possessions, mostly wide open because the Cats were letting him shoot. He needs to pass the ball.

That rascally Ben is deliberately having us play from behind. It's his basketball version of the rope-a-dope. The other team gets worn out pounding on us, and then we ignite and put them into orbit.

I don’t have the stomach to read the whole thread, but from the second row of the upper deck I saw a couple of things. The Cats bigs are really slow and prone to fouls because of it. I can absolutely see why they had so many fouls against Purdue. It also looked they were in some jet lag after the Purdue loss.

I cringed three or four times in the first half when they missed good open looks from three. Those are shots you need to make to pull an upset. Biggest takeaway is that they could have folded at least three or four times including going into the overtime and fought back. That is just not something we have seen in years.

Kelly Pfiefer is simply a terrible referee. I don’t care what any of you ref graders say. Bad things happen when he is in the arena and he does insert himself into the game. Pulled the whistle out in multiple no call critical situations at the end. I don’t ever want to see him again.

I’m also grateful I didn’t break the old guys hand in the seat two seats down when I slammed the empty seat between us after a bad call.

I am puzzled over the BJ angst about Hawkins foul late in the game. It’s obvious it wasn’t an assigned foul, since in that case Hawkins would have grabbed the guy, not a reach in attempt at a steal. As for Carrington that was also stupid, and he was called on the carpet on the sidelines. Was it fun to watch, nope. Very aggravating, but to think that Johnson called for those plays isn’t being reasonable or fair. Consistent mistakes and slothfulness have consequences as Ole Joseph is finding out. As for the overall offense I think that no offense will ever look efficient if you continue to miss wide open 3’s as is evidenced by our being last in the league in that category. Overall think there is no lack of effort, which as much as anything indicates the impact a coach has on his team.
I definitely don't think he told Hawkins to foul. A Senior PG has to be smarter in that spot.

The ball is basically glued to his hands. I think he shot on the first three or four possessions, mostly wide open because the Cats were letting him shoot. He needs to pass the ball.
Sums it up. I don’t think any one of them was a particularly bad shot, but none of them were good looks. He has been a guy that can get his own look and pour in some points for us at times, so you want to let him play free… but man, let the offense work and feel out the game.

Can anyone comment on how long the last minute regulation took to play out in real time? I had two toddlers under my watch so I was pausing a lot at the end of the game, but it felt like an eternity.

Can anyone comment on how long the last minute regulation took to play out in real time? I had two toddlers under my watch so I was pausing a lot at the end of the game, but it felt like an eternity.
At least fifteen minutes. Between the last 38 seconds and overtime it was well over a half hour. The sideline out of bounds review was almost five minutes by itself. It was a poster child for altering the review rules.

Top Bottom