***OFFICIAL NORTHWESTERN AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

I think that was the same guy who called Christie's two at the elbow a three. Obviously he needs some eye work. :)
From the other end of the court it looked like both Cams feet were inside the arc. It took almost ten minutes for them to take away the point. How does a ref mess that up?

With how we played the 2nd half at PSU and throughout this game, our bench shouldn't play more than a couple minutes. Carrington and Ihnen offer nothing the way they're playing and JOJ hasn't played well in weeks.
Can't run our starters into the ground. Those three have shown they can contribute (right now they are all struggling), so they need to keep getting some minutes to work give the others some rest. Hopefully it will help them get out of their funk.
I like that they get minutes in the first half. If they aren't playing well, we do get down, but have shown we can battle back in the second. BJ also shortens the bench in the second half when those guys haven't played well.

His game is off a bit but he’ll be needed down the stretch. Didn’t like the way he came in today and felt the need to launch two shots. That’s not his game.
Agreed.
Of the three shots he took to start, the only one I thought was ok was three from the corner on the kick out - if that would have been his first shot. After the two poor shots before that it wasn't such a good shot. That was a time he should have put it on the floor and gotten a lay up.

Can't run our starters into the ground. Those three have shown they can contribute (right now they are all struggling), so they need to keep getting some minutes to work give the others some rest. Hopefully it will help them get out of their funk.
I like that they get minutes in the first half. If they aren't playing well, we do get down, but have shown we can battle back in the second. BJ also shortens the bench in the second half when those guys haven't played well.
I liked the quick hook for both Ola-Joseph and Ihnen. Both were out of sorts with Joseph chucking shots. Ihnen didn’t return. Joseph didn’t play much more.

The guy is a beast! The amount of court he covers is amazing, and he never takes a play off. It’s a completely different game with him on the floor.
The way he goes after rebounds, you almost are surprised when he DOESNT grab it. And when he does, he grabs it with such violence. You can hear him smack it

Agreed.
Of the three shots he took to start, the only one I thought was ok was three from the corner on the kick out - if that would have been his first shot. After the two poor shots before that it wasn't such a good shot. That was a time he should have put it on the floor and gotten a lay up.
He's been a bit off recently and Parker Fox is eating up some of his minutes with how well he's playing and affecting the game. With hustle and winning plays. We need better bench play overall tho

This Gophers team is interesting - for this reason.

They are good enough to go on runs, get stops and look like a legitimate team - at times.

AND they are also inconsistent enough to go on scoring droughts, turn the ball over, commit dumb fouls and let the other team back in games - at times.

every game is like a blind date - you just don't know what you're going to see when you open the door - or when the game starts.

and that makes the Gophers very interesting - and also very frustrating. usually during the same game.

I think I am seeing a little growth from the start of the season, but that could also just be wishful thinking on my part.

but if you ask me what the Gophers will do in their next game, my answer is "I don't have a clue." they could look great, or they could stink up the place. and neither one would surprise me.
This was true for both halves today. The gophers were pathetic in the first half and then managed a 10 point run to tie it going into halftime.

Payne and Christie are the future and both studs. Made big time shots and brought heart.

The barn was rocking at the end - The reviews and timeouts were a huge buzz kill.

Team is growing. Just keep finding a way to win.

All five starters in double figures, so much more fun to watch team ball. Lots of credit goes to Garcia, who is a willing passer and screener and not a hero 🏀🐷

Mitchell = 10
Hawk = 13
Payne = 14
Cam =15
Garcia = 20

On 19 assists!

NW had three starters in double figures and only 13 team assists.

This is a winning formula.

Very fun win yesterday! Wish I could have been there. Twenty one games into the season, the following conclusions are valid:

1. In year three, CBJ has amassed a roster that has legitimate B1G talent. Christie has NBA rotation potential if he gets stronger. I hope Johnson can hang on to these guys.

2. They play defense.

3. Their free throw shooting is scary and will continue to cost them games.

4. Offensively, they continue to rely on individual skills to make plays. They have a ball dominant point guard who has high assist totals because the ball is always in his hands. There's almost no ball movement or player movement. Everybody stands around or moves very casually while Hawkins does his thing. He's become similar to Carr in ball dominance except he will pass the ball to a shooter as the clock winds down instead of keeping the shot for himself, as Carr usually did.

Usually fans lament that their team could be really good if it only played defense. This team could be really good if it only played offense. An offensive system and ball movement like NU would add 8-10 points to their output.

These guys work hard and hustle. They have outperformed my expectations. (I threw in the towel on CBJ a few weeks ago. I had to buy another towel.) They have talent to go with the intensity. Some ball and player movement plus FT shooting would make them a team that none of the top B1G teams want to play at home or away.

Very fun win yesterday! Wish I could have been there. Twenty one games into the season, the following conclusions are valid:

1. In year three, CBJ has amassed a roster that has legitimate B1G talent. Christie has NBA rotation potential if he gets stronger. I hope Johnson can hang on to these guys.

2. They play defense.

3. Their free throw shooting is scary and will continue to cost them games.
Really? Did you watch the game?

FTs

MN 16-21 = 76.2%

NW 13-20 = 65%

4. Offensively, they continue to rely on individual skills to make plays. They have a ball dominant point guard who has high assist totals because the ball is always in his hands. There's almost no ball movement or player movement. Everybody stands around or moves very casually while Hawkins does his thing. He's become similar to Carr in ball dominance except he will pass the ball to a shooter as the clock winds down instead of keeping the shot for himself, as Carr usually did.

Usually fans lament that their team could be really good if it only played defense. This team could be really good if it only played offense. An offensive system and ball movement like NU would add 8-10 points to their output.

These guys work hard and hustle. They have outperformed my expectations. (I threw in the towel on CBJ a few weeks ago. I had to buy another towel.) They have talent to go with the intensity. Some ball and player movement plus FT shooting would make them a team that none of the top B1G teams want to play at home or away.
They’re still growing as a team and still have a ways to go with their offensive, teams improve and coalesce throughout a season. Hawkins makes many excellent passes for assists that most PGs don’t make, the flip dish to Payne for the monster jam, for example.

Both Payne and Garcia made excellent cross court passes for threes, that’s a sign of growth as it wasn’t happening earlier.

Their D was stellar yesterday, with everyone engaged consistently for the most part and excellent help D, especially by Payne.

This team is a BUY now and two wins back to back (by nine points) are a harbinger of said BUY. I expect a 5+ point win Tuesday against Sparty.

Last edited:

Had to listen to the second half on the radio (driving my mother home from the hospital). When the game ended, she said, That was a pretty good game, wasn't it? Yep, mom, good game. 😁

Northwestern is a heck of a team, and the Gophers held them way below their normal offensive output. The defense has been so bad at times this year but has really outdone itself lately. Garcia especially is putting in the work on D.

Had to listen to the second half on the radio (driving my mother home from the hospital). When the game ended, she said, That was a pretty good game, wasn't it? Yep, mom, good game. 😁

Northwestern is a heck of a team, and the Gophers held them way below their normal offensive output. The defense has been so bad at times this year but has really outdone itself lately. Garcia especially is putting in the work on D.
Most importantly, hope your Mom is doing as well as possible.

Good game by the Gophers. Garcia extremely clutch at the line down the stretch. One of their better defensive efforts. Seems to have finally solidified the best starting 5. Surprisingly little contribution from the bench for an overtime win.

He's been a bit off recently and Parker Fox is eating up some of his minutes with how well he's playing and affecting the game. With hustle and winning plays. We need better bench play overall tho
Yesterday was the exception. We have had excellent bench contributions in most games this year. Johnson has built this group on team play and we will need eight guys to contribute every game.

JOJ had a couple of open looks on three early and put up good and reasonable shots. Nothing dropped. But on a small sample size he is still one of the better three shooters on the team. Ihnen and Carrington are going to be eighth and ninth.

This was true for both halves today. The gophers were pathetic in the first half and then managed a 10 point run to tie it going into halftime.

Payne and Christie are the future and both studs. Made big time shots and brought heart.

The barn was rocking at the end - The reviews and timeouts were a huge buzz kill.

Team is growing. Just keep finding a way to win.
The Gophers were not pathetic in the first half. They held a hot shooting team to 27 points with excellent defense. NW shot over 60% from three in the first half.

Offensively, the Gophers played well also but could not hit a three.

Northwester defense held a team that was 2-11 on threes and missed some free throws to 27 points in a half.

Gophers played well both halves. JOJ, Garcia, and Mitchell all missed open threes in the first half that any team would want and take, thus it was tied at half rather than Gophers dominating score and up by 10-12.

Really? Did you watch the game?

FTs

MN 16-21 = 76.2%

NW 13-20 = 65%

They’re still growing as a team and still have a ways to go with their offensive, teams improve and coalesce throughout a season. Hawkins makes many excellent passes for assists that most PGs don’t make, the flip dish to Payne for the monster jam, for example.

Both Payne and Garcia made excellent cross court passes for threes, that’s a sign of growth as it wasn’t happening earlier.

Their D was stellar yesterday, with everyone engaged consistently for the most part and excellent help D, especially by Payne.

This team is a BUY now and two wins back to back (by nine points) are a harbinger of said BUY. I expect a 5+ point win Tuesday against Sparty.
An easy boost to the offense would be to create more open looks from three for Christie. Set play picks and/or quick ball movement (give up the dribble for a bit, Hawk), and work hard to get Christie good shots.

He's our best pure shooter and ideally should be getting 8-12 shots a game from behind the arc. You need to go back as far as Austin Hollins to find a better jump shot than Christie.

The Gophers were not pathetic in the first half. They held a hot shooting team to 27 points with excellent defense. NW shot over 60% from three in the first half.

Offensively, the Gophers played well also but could not hit a three.

Northwester defense held a team that was 2-11 on threes and missed some free throws to 27 points in a half.

Gophers played well both halves. JOJ, Garcia, and Mitchell all missed open threes in the first half that any team would want and take, thus it was tied at half rather than Gophers dominating score and up by 10-12.
True, I should clarify: That first half offensive performance was pathetic. Defense forced 12 NW turnovers.

Offense ran no quality sets. 3s out of rhythm. Ball rarely went inside. We really loved the Garcia post up from 20 feet out which got us nowhere.

Hawkins is such a difference maker when he gets it going. Broke down the defense a lot in the 2nd half.

Good win yesterday and it wasn’t by playing ‘over their heads’. They are capable of better performances.
Good game by the Gophers. Garcia extremely clutch at the line down the stretch. One of their better defensive efforts. Seems to have finally solidified the best starting 5. Surprisingly little contribution from the bench for an overtime win.
Yeah, true. Looking at the reserves going forward (providing everyone stays healthy), about the only one that might supply some bench scoring is Ola-Joseph. Ihnen not providing much at all. 2 FG's in the last 8 games. Braeden is 1 make in his last 13 attempts. When Fox contributes offensively, seems like a bonus. (Realize he got 11 against Penn State. Got those minutes because Payne was out.) That leaves Joshua. Would love to see Carrington make an about face with his shot. Would be such a boost.
Out of Braeden, Isaiah and Parker, guess I think Carrington is the best bet to get on the court and get some offense out of.
Maybe it all comes together against Michigan State. Fingers crossed.

True, I should clarify: That first half offensive performance was pathetic. Defense forced 12 NW turnovers.

Offense ran no quality sets. 3s out of rhythm. Ball rarely went inside. We really loved the Garcia post up from 20 feet out which got us nowhere.

Hawkins is such a difference maker when he gets it going. Broke down the defense a lot in the 2nd half.
Agree on first half offense only because the threes didn’t fall. But we need to evaluate team performance based on offense and defense combined.

Garcia is not a natural low post player so I don’t mind where he is getting the ball. Payne has to get the ball low.

I was at the game and enjoyed the win. It was a fun atmosphere.

A couple of observations.

1. Our half court offense has much to be desired. For me, to much dribble and standing around. They need to play more inside out. Often times they have opportunity to throw it inside, but are reluctant to do so. Garcia being doubled was effective for NU. They need to get him in the high post more where it is more difficult to double. They did try to push the ball more which helped their early offense.

2. Defense, since Iowa, is much better. A lot of that has to do with Payne as a rim protector. His block of the NU big, 2nd jump after the initial contest, was incredible. I couldn't believe that Payne wasn't in the game toward the end of regulation (on the Bouie baseline foul). I know his foul shooting is a liability, but I want that inside shot blocking presence. Another head scratcher was the early foul on Bouie in the back court. Why do you have your best ball handler, a guy you need in the game late, Hawkins, foul? If you know you are going to foul in that situation put a player that has fewer fouls also try to take more time off the clock before fouling.

3. Lastly, the 5 across the baseline press offense was not good. It didn't seem like they ran anyone deep which would spread the defense. It cost them at the end of regulation. Poor execution has cost them in late close games.

You know Sparty will bring a physical game on Tuesday. The loss at East Lansing had many questionable official calls. We need to play tough without fouling.

It was a good win, hopefully one that will bring the fans back on Tuesday.

Ski U Mah

Top Bottom