***OFFICIAL NORTH DAKOTA (FORMERLY SIOUX) AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD***

I agree with you first sentence. Therefore we do more screens than a lot of other teams. Motion offense doesnt have everbody moving around, a lot of it is spacing. Do u want us to do more sets? Nobody is really doing much of that anymore.

Yeah sets are easy to defend and scout. Teams focus on actions to gain mismatches and advantages to get the highest percentage shot possible.

Yeah sets are easy to defend and scout. Teams focus on actions to gain mismatches and advantages to get the highest percentage shot possible.

I really miss Bobby Knight. All the off ball screens were so fun to watch. I bought his material and tried to figure out how to implement it at the high school level but never really could. Probly stupid of me to even try.

I really miss Bobby Knight. All the off ball screens were so fun to watch. I bought his material and tried to figure out how to implement it at the high school level but never really could. Probly stupid of me to even try.
Takes courage to try. Before Knight got crazy he was one of the best teachers ever. His clinics were basketball art. Later in life when he was bitter he could pick out who were going to become great coaches better than anyone. Plus, he despised cheaters and played it straight.

I agree with you first sentence. Therefore we do more screens than a lot of other teams. Motion offense doesnt have everbody moving around, a lot of it is spacing. Do u want us to do more sets? Nobody is really doing much of that anymore.
Indeed, a lot is spacing, knowing your rules in a motion set, and moving the ball off the pass instead of holding the ball and dribbling. Frankly, UND did a much better job of spacing and ball reversal than we did. They are not nearly as athletic as we are, yet they got great looks off their ball movement.
Top teams, whether college or pro, move the ball off the pass, with ball reversal. When is the last time you saw the Gophers pass 3 times without stopping ball movement due to dribbling? We become easy to guard.

Indeed, a lot is spacing, knowing your rules in a motion set, and moving the ball off the pass instead of holding the ball and dribbling. Frankly, UND did a much better job of spacing and ball reversal than we did. They are not nearly as athletic as we are, yet they got great looks off their ball movement.
Top teams, whether college or pro, move the ball off the pass, with ball reversal. When is the last time you saw the Gophers pass 3 times without stopping ball movement due to dribbling? We become easy to guard.

Certainly true that the ball gets stuck with carr at times.
Personally doesnt bother me as he is such a dynamic player. UND probly set more ball screens than we did. Would agree that their offense looked better than ours but i would attribute that to our horrendous defense that game. We didnt guard the 3 point line, stop their straight line drives, nor defend the pick and roll. I would guess their offense didnt look as efficient even against Dixie State.

imo so much of offense is if shots are falling. If not, teams can lose offensive rhythm pretty quickly and look disjointed. Wisconsin is known for their patience but i bet in their loss to us last season their offense looked like they were stuck in cement imo largely due to their shots werent falling that game. Anyway, I am certainly no expert but Pitino's teams tend to improve as the season progresses so would guess that will be reflected in the offense as well.

Certainly true that the ball gets stuck with carr at times.
Personally doesnt bother me as he is such a dynamic player. UND probly set more ball screens than we did. Would agree that their offense looked better than ours but i would attribute that to our horrendous defense that game. We didnt guard the 3 point line, stop their straight line drives, nor defend the pick and roll. I would guess their offense didnt look as efficient even against Dixie State.

imo so much of offense is if shots are falling. If not, teams can lose offensive rhythm pretty quickly and look disjointed. Wisconsin is known for their patience but i bet in their loss to us last season their offense looked like they were stuck in cement imo largely due to their shots werent falling that game. Anyway, I am certainly no expert but Pitino's teams tend to improve as the season progresses so would guess that will be reflected in the offense as well.
Yes, to Pitino's credit, his teams are better in March than they were in December. Contrast this with Tubby, whose teams were best in December and abysmal by March.

For a UND level team you have to play good team ball or you do not stand a chance of winning very many games. We have a fairly new team that has not practiced together much this year. they will improve as the year progresses.

Agree, and there also needs to be movement without the ball. A 4 or 5 out motion offense still utilizes movement, ball movement, screens and creativity. It is not about standing around waiting for your all world guard to make a play.

Agree, and there also needs to be movement without the ball. A 4 or 5 out motion offense still utilizes movement, ball movement, screens and creativity. It is not about standing around waiting for your all world guard to make a play.
Movement is not as simple as it sounds...it’s pretty easy to drag your defender into the driving lane you just created. But somebody just messed it up with a mistimed or ill advised action or cut.
I‘m guessing our offense looks a lot different when Gabe makes 3’s in practice...along with Gach and Ihnen....maybe others too?

For a UND level team you have to play good team ball or you do not stand a chance of winning very many games. We have a fairly new team that has not practiced together much this year. they will improve as the year progresses.
4 games done. Multiple practices and still piss poor offense and defense. The time is ticking for Pitino to get his sh!t together.

Movement is not as simple as it sounds...it’s pretty easy to drag your defender into the driving lane you just created. But somebody just messed it up with a mistimed or ill advised action or cut.
I‘m guessing our offense looks a lot different when Gabe makes 3’s in practice...along with Gach and Ihnen....maybe others too?

Watch someone that performs it correctly. Much more movement. Inside outside action. Cutting. We stand too much. This type is an instinctive offense and provides room for creativity.

4 games done. Multiple practices and still piss poor offense and defense. The time is ticking for Pitino to get his sh!t together.
Lol they've scored 99, 88, and 76 in 3 of the 4 games. Offense is fine except for some turnovers. It's not my offensive preference, but Pitino's always gotten shots to his highest percentage shot makers. Defensively we can agree that it hasn't been great especially with our defensive rebounding. I'd also add that we missed a bunch of practices early in the year due to being shut down from Covid. That stuff matters.

Watch someone that performs it correctly. Much more movement. Inside outside action. Cutting. We stand too much. This type is an instinctive offense and provides room for creativity.

The offense you are describing is one I like and many programs like Wisconsin utilize. Pitino's half court is not. It's more predicated on iso ball screens and gaining a mismatch to attack the rim and pull defenders for dump offs to bigs or kick outs for threes. Again it's not my favorite offense to watch by any means, but it's relatively efficient and is not often the cause of why we lose games.

You are right. And I despise Iso ball screens. NBA style garbage is what it is. And IMO, it works because we have the best scoring guard in the Big Ten. When we face teams with better athletic ability it is my opinion they will do all they can to bottle Carr up. Then its going to be tough to get over 60-65.

You are right. And I despise Iso ball screens. NBA style garbage is what it is. And IMO, it works because we have the best scoring guard in the Big Ten. When we face teams with better athletic ability it is my opinion they will do all they can to bottle Carr up. Then its going to be tough to get over 60-65.

Yeah it will be interesting to see how teams change screen coverages to guard Carr. If he pulls defenders, then that will be when we see what we have with Robbins, Gach, and Johnson. Pitino for the most part adjusts well to screen coverages imo. It's when teams get a little more wild and weird with zones and and some pressing that I've seen schematic issues/adjustments. This roster seems like it is built well though to make teams pay in many different way no matter what the coverage is.

Yup. The offense has scored a lot of points, Carr scoring 30 a clip the first 3. That wont continue in conference, imo. Teams know Gabe is a low % shooter and have been somewhat ignoring him.

I am hoping for some help from Robbins however limiting my enthusiasm for it happening. Throw the ball to the post, move the ball around. That just doesn't happen and makes this team so incredibly predictable on offense. Not good for wins.....

No argument...achieving it takes time, understanding, recruiting the right guys etc etc. It ain‘t easy to implement is my point.
In coaching, you get what you emphasize and there isn’t time for everything.

My overall opinion of Pitino’s teams is they have scored more points than their talent has warranted.

Top Bottom