***OFFICIAL NORTH DAKOTA (FORMERLY SIOUX) AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD***

You guys can disagree with Pitino’s offense. But, I am positive he knows more about offense than posters I’m reading on Gopherhole.
It is not always black and white simple to others why you have chosen the system you use. But, we also have assistant coaches with some knowledge who likely are in agreement with the decisions. Is Rick Pitino without basketball knowledge? Do you think they talk? Did he learn anything? Can Billy Donovan coach? Come on guys... I know you know better but there are sound basketball reasons for what we do.
I know our difference maker we are emphasizing is running. You can only implement so much in limited group practice time.
He ain’t basketball dumb.
And oh btw, we got 6 new guys in a pandemic with compromised preparation.
We’re doing what fits the situation the best for who we are.
You have some interesting takes that I can’t quite get my head around. You find ways to pot shot PJ and the football team while sticking up for Richard and telling us he knows more than the board. Despite the fact that PJ’s had infinitely more success after 4 years than Richard has had in 7. Strange that you would so openly question the more successful coach while telling us we should trust the one who has underperformed.

He's giggling in his parents basement every time he gets you to respond to him.
Your right and now my grandchildren believe me when i tell them what would happen if i took him off of ignore. They wanted me to stand up for myself but now see the wisdom in having him on ignore and thus not exposing this garbage to the board.

You have some interesting takes that I can’t quite get my head around. You find ways to pot shot PJ and the football team while sticking up for Richard and telling us he knows more than the board. Despite the fact that PJ’s had infinitely more success after 4 years than Richard has had in 7. Strange that you would so openly question the more successful coach while telling us we should trust the one who has underperformed.
I rip them both when I feel the need. I praise them both when I feel it’s warranted. But, there probably is a bias to leaning towards Pitino for two reasons that come to mind. 1. PJ is revered and adored and Pitino has a bunch of dissenters. If I think Richard might be getting a questionable rap and can see light at the end of tunnel I have more motivation to defend him. So, it’s partly a balance the noise thing too. Why rip PJ more than Richard?
2. PJ has a litany of exaggerations all pointing to look at me. “ 6 seniors, youngest team in America, year zero, “ on and on. PJ has the balls to make a video describing his culture of which the Farmers Alliance is a component. Yet he is the number one violator of half truths and exaggerations despite chest pumping his disdain and unacceptance of the same. He just spent an hour on video saying COVID-19 and the football games being canceled is not his fault. Another example
he wants no part of being responsible. His two 15 yard penalties at the complete wrong times are not his fault but that of the refs. Etc etc
Pitino on the other hand is honest.
So, I do also defend PJ, but it’s harder. Prefer both build some sustained winning seasons.

I rip them both when I feel the need. I praise them both when I feel it’s warranted. But, there probably is a bias to leaning towards Pitino for two reasons that come to mind. 1. PJ is revered and adored and Pitino has a bunch of dissenters. If I think Richard might be getting a questionable rap and can see light at the end of tunnel I have more motivation to defend him. So, it’s partly a balance the noise thing too. Why rip PJ more than Richard?
2. PJ has a litany of exaggerations all pointing to look at me. “ 6 seniors, youngest team in America, year zero, “ on and on. PJ has the balls to make a video describing his culture of which the Farmers Alliance is a component. Yet he is the number one violator of half truths and exaggerations despite chest pumping his disdain and unacceptance of the same. He just spent an hour on video saying COVID-19 and the football games being canceled is not his fault. Another example
he wants no part of being responsible. His two 15 yard penalties at the complete wrong times are not his fault but that of the refs. Etc etc
So, I do also defend PJ, but it’s harder. Prefer both build some sustained winning seasons.
Great post. I give more credit to PJ because he has done more in a shorter period of time. Also believe that he started building a culture day one and players buy in. With that said i still support Pitino even though he has been given more time than any successful program would even consider. Really enjoy the different takes on the board. It is one of the ways we can reconsider our own opinions, grow and even change.

You guys can disagree with Pitino’s offense. But, I am positive he knows more about offense than posters I’m reading on Gopherhole.
It is not always black and white simple to others why you have chosen the system you use. But, we also have assistant coaches with some knowledge who likely are in agreement with the decisions. Is Rick Pitino without basketball knowledge? Do you think they talk? Did he learn anything? Can Billy Donovan coach? Come on guys... I know you know better but there are sound basketball reasons for what we do.
I know our difference maker we are emphasizing is running. You can only implement so much in limited group practice time.
He ain’t basketball dumb.
And oh btw, we got 6 new guys in a pandemic with compromised preparation.
We’re doing what fits the situation the best for who we are.

Well said. 2016-17 COY, 5th seed, and wouldve probly won at least tourney game without losing springs and mason playing on one leg. 2018-19 Dominated one of the acc top teams to get to the 2nd round. 2019-20 Finished 27th in kenpom and 8-12 losing a handful of nail-biter games. This while basically fielding only two quality players. (2017-18 Not sure how to judge due to the injuries and also losing Lynch.)

I have posted this before and dont feel it is at all hard to defend pitino's coaching. Not sure many if any other coaches could have done as well with these teams the last 4 years. My concern is that for some reason his recruiting is lagging imo. There wasnt a lot of talent on last year's team and we will see how this year goes. Next season recruiting not outstanding at this point. Tubby's tenure came to an end largely because recruiting was slipping so hopefully we are not starting to see history repeat. I know some posters arent bothered by all the local players who go elsewhere, and maybe there is no coach who couldve got more of those guys to stay so i am being unfair to ding pitino for this. Just becomes easy to start to wonder what could be if more if these top minnesota players stayed home.

Last edited:

Well said. 2016-17 COY, 5th seed, and wouldve probly won at least tourney game without losing springs and mason playing on one leg. 2018-19 Dominated one of the acc top teams to get to the 2nd round. 2019-20 Finished 27th in kenpom and 8-12 losing a handful of nail-biter games. This while basically fielding only two quality players. (2017-18 Not sure how to judge due to the injuries and also losing Lynch.)

I have posted this before and dont feel it is at all hard to defend pitino's coaching. Not sure many if any other coaches could have done as well with these teams the last 4 years. My concern is that for some reason his recruiting is lagging imo. There wasnt a lot of talent on last year's team and we will see how this year goes. Next season recruiting not outstanding at this point. Tubby's tenure came to an end largely because recruiting was slipping so hopefully we are not starting to see history repeat. I know some posters arent bothered by all the local players who go elsewhere, and maybe there is no coach who couldve got more of those guys to stay so i am being unfair to ding pitino for this. Just becomes easy to start to wonder what could be if more if these top minnesota players stayed home.
Agree with much of this but not easy to defend how poorly this team has been defensively compared to the conference all but one year. We average around 10th and finish around 10th.

Your right and now my grandchildren believe me when i tell them what would happen if i took him off of ignore. They wanted me to stand up for myself but now see the wisdom in having him on ignore and thus not exposing this garbage to the board.
Poor BADGER. Victim.
Own your garbage and your lies BADGER victim.

Pitino needs to run a motion offense. He tries to run an nba style offense with iso and pick and roll.

We are running a motion offense just like every other college team. Other teams also use isos and screens. We do more dribble handoffs than other teams and some posters are bothered by carr's dribbling.

Thanks for the thoughtful response

We are running a motion offense just like every other college team. Other teams also use isos and screens. We do more dribble handoffs than other teams and some posters are bothered by carr's dribbling.
Carr's dribbling will win us some conference games. Every team needs a guy who can get his own shot at any time anywhere on the court - the LMU finish was a great example.

We don't have the athletes to breakdown defenders one on one. We become easy to guard because of no movement. Carr is poor at running a pick and roll. He misses the pass to the post 9 out of 10 times. Lack of ball movement, combined with others standing and watching is a problem.

We don't have the athletes to breakdown defenders one on one. We become easy to guard because of no movement. Carr is poor at running a pick and roll. He misses the pass to the post 9 out of 10 times. Lack of ball movement, combined with others standing and watching is a problem.

I agree with you first sentence. Therefore we do more screens than a lot of other teams. Motion offense doesnt have everbody moving around, a lot of it is spacing. Do u want us to do more sets? Nobody is really doing much of that anymore.

Last edited:

Top Bottom