***OFFICIAL NORTH DAKOTA (FORMERLY SIOUX) AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD***

We are not a very good basketball team and it's the same issues over and over again.

Our offense, for years, is putrid. It's mostly a design defect and there is absolutely no ball movement and the players off the ball just stand and watch. It's part of the reason we lack intensity. It's really hard to stand around and then be quick on defense.

Also, even if it's a close game, we NEED to start getting more from our bench and giving Carr a rest. It was a close game, I get it, but I'd rather lose a couple non-conference games if it meant that we would develop a backup PG.

We also need to shoot better but that is really unlikely with our offense. We will continue to have shooting issues until our offensive design changes and pass more and dribble less.
Pitino needs to run a motion offense. He tries to run an nba style offense with iso and pick and roll.

You are a pathetic person with a room temperature IQ.

ThatRealisticGorilla-size_restricted.gif

Pitino needs to run a motion offense. He tries to run an nba style offense with iso and pick and roll.

I agree with you. He needs to run something that will get the players moving and the ball moving. I think he is trying to run an NBA type system but frankly, he doesn't even run that well. The closest thing to this type of offense in the NBA was Houston(D'Antoni) We really fail running any those sort of concepts. The only thing similar is that we run a lot of ISO, high pick and roll and have kickouts. But that is incredibly easy to defend.

(1) This should be the most obvious, the Rockets system really relies on a dominant ball player, specifically one that can really shoot. Think like Harden and Steve Nash. Carr is incredible, but Carr is not going to consistently burn opponents with his shooting.

(2) Our lineups need to have a shooter as the 4. Houston does not really even call it a PF (think PJ Tucker or Covington). This is a really athletic guy that should be incredibly active. His entire offense is going to be (mostly) catch and shoot CORNER threes. He should never be posting people up (clogs up the middle), he should never be playing a high/low game w/center (clogs up the middle) and he should be extremely active off the ball (setting back screens, running the baseline) drifting to the open space so defenders can't clog.

(3) Our wings simply do not move enough. They are not put into positions to move a ton (because no one else is moving, so they have nowhere to move to). It's almost like gridlock on the floor because our coaching staff (IMO), doesn't properly understand off ball movement.

Watch some of the better coached teams play and watch the off ball movement. That movement really opens up the passing lanes and in turn opens up ball movement and open shots (with our feet planted).

Many team run these actions. Over time the efficiencies bear out who does it better. Still think that the vast majority of teams are trying to find their way.

Most teams are better at coaching what the guys without the ball are doing. That's the differentiator here.

Most teams are better at coaching what the guys without the ball are doing. That's the differentiator here.
That is no doubt a piece of it. Same on the defensive side. There have always been guys that are simply better teachers than others.

Many NBA teams have two guys standing in the corner for 24 seconds not much movement. Different defensive rules in the NBA make this a way to get spacing. Houston... Tucker lives in the corner...

It’s ball movement and the willingness to share the ball. Many good offensive teams that move the ball from side to side have guys standing in the same spot as those that don’t move the ball. Using both sides of the court is huge. Swing the ball make the defense move..

You guys can disagree with Pitino’s offense. But, I am positive he knows more about offense than posters I’m reading on Gopherhole.
It is not always black and white simple to others why you have chosen the system you use. But, we also have assistant coaches with some knowledge who likely are in agreement with the decisions. Is Rick Pitino without basketball knowledge? Do you think they talk? Did he learn anything? Can Billy Donovan coach? Come on guys... I know you know better but there are sound basketball reasons for what we do.
I know our difference maker we are emphasizing is running. You can only implement so much in limited group practice time.
He ain’t basketball dumb.
And oh btw, we got 6 new guys in a pandemic with compromised preparation.
We’re doing what fits the situation the best for who we are.

Last edited:

You guys can disagree with Pitino’s offense. But, I am positive he knows more about offense than posters I’m reading on Gopherhole.
It is not always black and white simple to others why you have chosen the system you use. But, we also have assistant coaches with some knowledge who likely are in agreement with the decisions. Is Rick Pitino without basketball knowledge? Do you think they talk? Did he learn anything? Can Billy Donovan coach? Come on guys... I know you know better but there are sound basketball reasons for what we do.
I know our difference maker we are emphasizing is running. You can only implement so much in limited group practice time.
He ain’t basketball dumb.
Your right. He is not basketball dumb but there are people far better at teaching, evaluating, scouting. There is a whole lot more than XO's. Great teachers are like magic. They have a better eye, a better mix and match. Some are just better at it period.

It’s a whole easier to defend a mostly stationary player compared to one that is constantly moving and and rubbing off screens.

Your right. He is not basketball dumb but there are people far better at teaching, evaluating, scouting. There is a whole lot more than XO's. Great teachers are like magic. They have a better eye, a better mix and match. Some are just better at it period.
Today’s example of BADGERS shot at Pitino. Fraud

The majority of coaches are not very good. Then there are some that are really good at a couple aspects of coaching. Pretty rare somebody fills all the boxes.
Bennett probably does.
I agree with everything you say. Pitino has been horrible at roster management.
But this year he has some pieces. Let’s wait to see if he crashes or soars.
I'm not ready to say it isn’t possible for him to surprise people this season.

It’s ball movement and the willingness to share the ball. Many good offensive teams that move the ball from side to side have guys standing in the same spot as those that don’t move the ball. Using both sides of the court is huge. Swing the ball make the defense move..
Very true.

Some of you guys are just ridiculous. If you knew half as much about basketball as you think you do, it would be obvious that college basketball teams are not always as polished as you expect them to be. Just look at Kansas just barely squeaking by NDSU. Remember, the gophers have like 6 new guys this season and I think it was about 7 new guys last season... It is not always going to be pretty, they just need to find a way to get it done.

This team has at least three players that can take over a ball game in Carr, Goch and Johnson. They also have other talent that can step up when needed and fill in the gaps. It is a very promising team.

I think Covid and the lack of practice has hurt out team more than most with 2 transfers & a freshman all in the starting line-up/rotation. Our rotation isn't figured out yet, but after four games we've sort of eliminated Isaiah Ihnen from the conversatiion & widdled it down to 8-9 now.

- Carr's got to find the balance of when to take it & when to get people involved. Overall he's a very good player & our go-to guy. He reminds me a lot of Nate Mason.

- Gach is much better than I expected. With Gach & Carr, we are absolutely flying up the court in transition.

- Brandon Johnson is coming around, and I think he'll be a really nice addition. He's a scrappy, active veteran, who can do a little bit of everything for us.

- Some people are down on Liam Robbins right now, but I like what I'm seeing. We're a little spoiled after Reggie Lynch & Daniel Oturu, but Robbins is doing fine & growing. He's averaging 8.5 ppg, 7.25 rbg (2.5 offensive) & 2 blks. He's got some athletic limitations, but is a big body who gives us 100% effort. He'll figure it out.

- Gabe's a good enough all round player to stay on the court while he works through his 3 point shooting slump, and I still firmly believe he will come through it.

- It's nice to see Eric Curry playing. He was never an amazing athlete by NCAA hoops standards, so he hasn't had to reinvent his game due to injuries. He's smart, in the right spots, plays good team defense, & can hit a couple jumpers. He's kind of like Oto Osenieks.

- I like Tre Williams off the bench. He gives us some scoring, & runs the court well in transition.

- Mashburn's a freshman, and will make some mistakes but the talent/swagger is there. He looks like he'll slide right into the mold of a Nate Mason/Marcus Carr, next year after learning the ropes this year.

- Omersa is mature enough now that he can contribute something if called upon, is a serviceable big in case of foul trouble, or injury.

Overall I'm enjoying watching this team again after sort of losing interest last year.

Some of you guys are just ridiculous. If you knew half as much about basketball as you think you do, it would be obvious that college basketball teams are not always as polished as you expect them to be. Just look at Kansas just barely squeaking by NDSU. Remember, the gophers have like 6 new guys this season and I think it was about 7 new guys last season... It is not always going to be pretty, they just need to find a way to get it done.

This team has at least three players that can take over a ball game in Carr, Goch and Johnson. They also have other talent that can step up when needed and fill in the gaps. It is a very promising team.
Saw that Kansas #7 in the country barely avoided the upset to fellow Summit League NDSU.

That’s the team UND lost the Summit tourny championship game to last year.

That should make us feel a little better. Maybe?

Not sure why so many expect so much so early. Covid has had a huge effect on every program, how much time they had together, no scrimmages, exhibitions or foreign trips.Plus there is a small margin between the majority of the competition.

More shots at the coach. Talk about a coward. Tell it to Pitinos face coward. You would never say to his face what you have said here.
Fraud.
Coward Loser, you have no idea what i have said to him. Praised him where he earned it. Her knows how he stacks up 48-82. One ok conference finish. Have actually talked to him about recruiting character and defense. Fraud is something you have to prove. Prove where i ever misrepresented myself. You have criticized Pitino, you just do not approve how i go about it which is suppoeted by facts.

Coward Loser, you have no idea what i have said to him. Praised him where he earned it. Her knows how he stacks up 48-82. One ok conference finish. Have actually talked to him about recruiting character and defense. Fraud is something you have to prove. Prove where i ever misrepresented myself. You have criticized Pitino, you just do not approve how i go about it which is suppoeted by facts.
FRAUD = BADGER

Todays episode begins with conference record again......

You NEVER said to him to his face what you have said about him on GH. NEVER. UGLY, UGLY. Then lie about it. COWARD. "You have no idea...." Thanks for admitting it and proving my point!! :clap:

FRAUD.

FRAUD = BADGER

Todays episode begins with conference record again......

You NEVER said to him to his face what you have said about him on GH. NEVER. UGLY, UGLY. Then lie about it. COWARD. "You have no idea...." Thanks for admitting it and proving my point!! :clap:

FRAUD.
Reading comprehension COWARD, LOSER. conference record, offensive and especially defensive efficiency as well as one season of a winning record are facts. Did not misrepresent those facts. Keep lying.

The Gophers can score in transition. They struggle in the half-court as they dribble the ball to death. They are easy to guard and they are weak at crashing the offensive board (they are also weak on the defensive board) as they get caught watching the ball rather than moving in anticipation to the ball.
Pitino has his hands full in trying to get this team B1G ready. Based upon these early games, he should win coach of the year if he can get this team to .500 in the B1G. We are just not that good.

The Gophers can score in transition. They struggle in the half-court as they dribble the ball to death. They are easy to guard and they are weak at crashing the offensive board (they are also weak on the defensive board) as they get caught watching the ball rather than moving in anticipation to the ball.
Pitino has his hands full in trying to get this team B1G ready. Based upon these early games, he should win coach of the year if he can get this team to .500 in the B1G. We are just not that good.
Should never get coach of the year for digging yourself out of a hole only you created.

Reading comprehension COWARD, LOSER. conference record, offensive and especially defensive efficiency as well as one season of a winning record are facts. Did not misrepresent those facts. Keep lying.
YOU know what you said here, many times, you DIDNT say to RP's face. Admit it, FRAUD COWRAD BADGER.

Backstabbing potshots = BADGER.

Admit it - otherwise everyone will see you are LYING.

Should never get coach of the year for digging yourself out of a hole only you created.
Wait! What?

So RP should NEVER get COY even if his team is conference champ!!!!

Example # 2 for Sunday, December 6, 2020.

FRAUD. COWARD.

Wait! What?

So RP should NEVER get COY even if his team is conference champ!!!!

Example # 2 for Sunday, December 6, 2020.

FRAUD. COWARD.
COWARD. LOSER. It was said following a statement of being .500. That is being partly out of the hole you dug. Win the conference is a whole different thing. What i have said to him was early on about efficiencies, especially defensive and how they destroy conference records. Think what you want. You calling me names does not change the reality of what has taken place. Admitting what you claim would be lying. Only share facts.

COWARD. LOSER. It was said following a statement of being .500. That is being partly out of the hole you dug. Win the conference is a whole different thing. What i have said to him was early on about efficiencies, especially defensive and how they destroy conference records. Think what you want. You calling me names does not change the reality of what has taken place.
"Should never get coach of the year for digging yourself out of a hole only you created.

YOU said it without any qualifiers, COWARD. FRAUD. YOU BADGER. Now you spin your garbage.

OWN IT.

YOU know what you said here, many times, you DIDNT say to RP's face. Admit it, FRAUD COWRAD BADGER.

"Should never get coach of the year for digging yourself out of a hole only you created.

YOU said it without any qualifiers, COWARD. FRAUD. YOU BADGER. Now you spin your garbage.

OWN IT.

COWARD, LOSER, LIAR. It is common sense that .500 is not a coach of the year thing and winning the conference is a very different case. Not a Badger, just a nickname given to me by a UW staff from a long time ago following a long and rigourous scouting period.

Last edited:

Top Bottom