***OFFICIAL NEW ORLEANS AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Not sure it was fools gold. I think he’s always had the ability. He just needs do make the “decision” so to speak. I believe it’s the same thing that makes him tenative when going to the rim.

If he did both with aggression, sure ess I think they’d both be there.

BTW, really great point on Hawkins and aggressiveness a few posts earlier.
I think every point guard in Minnesota should watch Mike Conley run point for the Wolves. He plays under control and makes everyone around him look better. He, in my mind is an all-star point guard. He knows when to be aggressive and when to pull it back and wait. That's what Hawkins can learn from.

How about hats off for Big Jack, the straw that stirs the drink in practice. The guy brings pure joy to his teammates. Easy to see they all appreciate his effort and attitude.
Yeah, he's like a less skilled Hosea that, for whatever reason, sends tingles up your spine. He had 4 fouls and led the team in turnovers in his 8 minutes. He's a really bad basketball player and was a complete waste of a scholarship.

Your victory lap after this game is actually more pathetic than Stocker's victory lap in the middle of the Missouri game. The guy is bad and he was pretty awful tonight in mop up duty against terrible competition. I know you're more into hunches and your spine tingles, but analytically, tonight his performance tonight was about as good Gaston Diedhou's career numbers.

I get it, I get it, you really like him.

Yeah, he's like a less skilled Hosea that, for whatever reason, sends tingles up your spine. He had 4 fouls and led the team in turnovers in his 8 minutes. He's a really bad basketball player and was a complete waste of a scholarship.

Your victory lap after this game is actually more pathetic than Stocker's victory lap in the middle of the Missouri game. The guy is bad and he was pretty awful tonight in mop up duty against terrible competition. I know you're more into hunches and your spine tingles, but analytically, tonight his performance tonight was about as good Gaston Diedhou's career numbers.

I will say the Barn was the most fun tonight when he was in. He was entertaining to watch and brings energy. With that said, it looks like he's been playing organized basketball (of any level) for about 2 years. If you told me he hadn't picked up a basketball before he played at Wazzu, I would believe you.

That New Orleans team looked like a YMCA rec league team. Not a ton can be gleamed from playing such bad competition, but it was fun, so whatevs.

He isn’t skilled but he sure is a specimen

How about hats off for Big Jack, the straw that stirs the drink in practice. The guy brings pure joy to his teammates. Easy to see they all appreciate his effort and attitude.
I believe he met with the entire team and said, "Cheer or die" but I could be mistaken. 🤔😏
That man is strong. He physically moved the guy he was guarding 3 feet over. He nearly lifted the guy off the ground and replanted him in a new spot. And, he did it with ease.
If he says "cheer or die" I am cheering my lungs out for him. He reminds me of a poor man's Nikola Pekovic. Don't mess with the man.

A bit an overreaction? Holy cow, the guy is fulfilling the role of player-mascot and he is clearly liked by his teammates. It’s obvious in the light crowds at the Barn that he is a fan favorite and gives everyone a bit of a laugh, something welcomed in this horrible stretch. I’m not sure efficiency analysis on the last guy off the bench provides much.

One of the fouls was phantom. But what I liked the most was when he bombed a free throw off the backboard and smiled. I smiled too knowing I could get you to write a thick brief screeching about what a terrible basketball player he is. I was right and I’m still laughing at you.

Serious question because I didn't see the game....

Was this a better effort than some of the other non-conference cupcakes or was this just a really bad New Orleans team? Not all have been this easy.
NO didn’t have a guard on their team with the last name Williams hitting clutch 3’s all night long

I hate to get my hopes up, because they always punch me in the face later, but they looked comfortable tonight. I know not a great team in New Orleans, but after the first few minutes they looked for open players, passed better, got most of the 50-50 balls. New Orleans didn't quit, they kept playing. Prior games Minnesota would have folded and had a shit second half and made it a 6 point game. Dawson sat for a long time and bench got a lot of minutes. Carrington looked improved comparing beginning of the game vs end of the game. Christie looked improved also. Again I know the opponent, but to bury them like that is something new.

Anyone else catch Thorson coaching his ass off from the bench the entire game? Every single defensive possession, he was screaming and directing traffic. He was extremely animated, I’m not sure if he’s been like that all year, but he was incredibly loud and animated.

He found his groove in his first college game when he hit three straight in a couple of minutes.
That was nice, but he had a swagger to his shot tonight, a new air of confidence, and it was there the whole game, imo.

Anyone else catch Thorson coaching his ass off from the bench the entire game? Every single defensive possession, he was screaming and directing traffic. He was extremely animated, I’m not sure if he’s been like that all year, but he was incredibly loud and animated.
That’s Thorson in a nutshell. Some nights a little less. More as a head coach.

Parker Fox looked solid out there tonight. Obviously he is limited to stuff around the bucket but he really hustles and this team needs that in the worst way. Nice night for Payne, Christie and pretty much all of the top 9 guys except Ihnen who again, seems to have lost his confidence. Hawkins kept it under control and had 9 assists to 1 turnover. New Orleans may not be real good but they do turn teams over and we did fine tonight. Good to see and it was also good to hear the announcers say that Ben ripped into the team some for their San Fran performance. I wasn't sure he had that in him.

Probably their first or second best game of the season with UTSA.

Hard to tell of New Orleans is really bad or had an off night. They seem very reliant on the PG (Jordan?) and he didn't have a good game. Plus their best big guy couldn't stay on the floor. That said if they're second best team in the conference I'll be surprised.

One of the fouls was phantom. But what I liked the most was when he bombed a free throw off the backboard and smiled. I smiled too knowing I could get you to write a thick brief screeching about what a terrible basketball player he is. I was right and I’m still laughing at you.
The pick foul was bogus. The big dude backing (trying to) him down was not a foul but the ref's are calling that on everyone this year. The obvious one was when he basically took the 6'11", 275 pound guy and launched him a few feet. He is what he is. Hope to RARELY see him on the court this season.

Hawkins-Scares me. Surprised he only had 2 TO's. Just watching the way he played I was thinking at least 5.
Mitchell-Solid. Not a game changer but not a liability
Carrington-Missed his 3's but didn't give up. Played better defense. Rebounded well.
Christie-Very nice to have an impact freshman. One of our top 3 players for sure.
JOJ/FOX-same player? Sort of. Energy. Boost off the bench. Don't know if either should start but both should get 20 min/game.
Garcia-Solid in all aspects. Needs his rest. Can't go to him EVERY time. Need others to step up and help.
Payne-I see his confidence growing. Still needs some work. Made strides but still not where I think he should be. He will face much better bigs than he saw last night.
Ihnen-UUUGHHH! So much potential. A floater. Why? If he had the aggressiveness of Fox or JOJ he would be such an asset. Instead he is just a player on the floor not doing much of anything.
I would stay with the starting 5 just for continuity. Not saying they deserve it. With that being said I think the minutes breakdown should be

Garcia-32-36
Guards-15-25 each depending on who is doing what that night. My lean is Christie/Carrington but need to let all 4 know they are valuable and need to have each other's back.
Wing-3- Depends on matchups. JOJ, FOX, Christie. For now, I would keep starting JOJ.
Ihnen?? I guess you keep starting him and hope he does something. If he keeps disappearing, then he see's less and less floor time.
Payne-I do like him off the bench for now. Hopefully limits his foul trouble. Don't see much coming from Betts, Wilson, or anyone else. But, it would be nice if Betts got a few minutes here and there because he may be much more valuable in a year or 2.

My top 9:
Garcia-32-36
Christie-30
Payne-25-30
Carrington-25
Hawkins-25
Mitchell-20
Fox-20
JOJ-20
Ihnen-10-20????

I honestly don't see anyone else (Betts) getting much more than garbage minutes.

Looking forward to Sunday and OSU.

I tuned in but wasn't deeply in tune.

Not sure how I feel about guards leading the team in rebounds .. we had a huge advantage in the paint and while Garcia and Payne did their thing offensively, the lack of board domination up front kinda concerns me...
Free throws.... Last night was a revert back to last year....
Lastly turnovers while it didn't determine the outcome last night we need to tighten that up still.. I hate seeing us with more turnovers than our opponent .. we won't be shooting 63% from the field often

Other than that... We destroyed a team any B1G team should destroy.. just glad we didn't let em back into the game in the 2nd half

I hate to get my hopes up, because they always punch me in the face later, but they looked comfortable tonight. I know not a great team in New Orleans, but after the first few minutes they looked for open players, passed better, got most of the 50-50 balls. New Orleans didn't quit, they kept playing. Prior games Minnesota would have folded and had a shit second half and made it a 6 point game. Dawson sat for a long time and bench got a lot of minutes. Carrington looked improved comparing beginning of the game vs end of the game. Christie looked improved also. Again I know the opponent, but to bury them like that is something new.

Any game where Garcia isn't required to play more than 18 minutes is a victory of sorts. It's a long season and he's going to be indispensable and have to work very hard for most of it.

The pick foul was bogus. The big dude backing (trying to) him down was not a foul but the ref's are calling that on everyone this year. The obvious one was when he basically took the 6'11", 275 pound guy and launched him a few feet. He is what he is. Hope to RARELY see him on the court this season.
Any time Big Jack sees the floor it will just provide an interlude of hilarity when Bob L. is compelled to write a 500-page pleading arguing how terrible he is and what a waste of scholarship it was to bring in a guy who inspires his teammates. All worth it.

Top Bottom