***OFFICIAL NEW ORLEANS AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Nice to see them still being aggressive and making sure New Orleans has no shot of making this game close.

Betts is certainly not ready for minutes other than games like tonight.

In game threads never get much traction when there is nothing to melt down about. :)
Beating up on New Orleans doesn't feel great. We've proven this year we can cover the spread and then some against lesser opponents. It's not moving the needle at this point. Happy for the win, need to start winning games that matter though. There will be a lot more buzz if they play well and win the next two.

Beating up on New Orleans doesn't feel great.

Personally, I like to enjoy the wins when I get them and I'm not going to let that be diminished by thoughts of "yeah, but they could never do this against Michigan!"

There were things to like about this game, like being able to empty the bench. By the way, this was UNO's worst loss of the season. They've played most teams pretty close.

We might have an entire year to complain about getting smashed, so I enjoyed tonight. The good guys won and though I realize it's likely fools gold due to the level of competition, watching Christie and Payne was fun.

Hopefully tonight gave the team a much needed shot of confidence heading into Sunday.

Positives:
We attacked the basket and didn't settle for 3 point shots.
We played solid defense and rebounded.
We valued the basketball and our possessions.
We played 38 minutes of aggressive basketball.

Negatives:
We started out being lazy on offense. Ihnen will not attack the rim, which is why JOJ (Payne*) needs to start and Ihnen rides the pine.
Hawkins is like a less disciplined Isaiah Washington. He is looking for flashy when we need him to look for efficiency. If he lets the game dictate his aggressiveness we will be better off.

Last edited:

Positives:
We attacked the basket and didn't settle for 3 point shots.
We played solid defense and rebounded.
We valued the basketball and our possessions.
We played 38 minutes of aggressive basketball.

Negatives:
We started out being lazy on offense. Ihnen will not attack the rim, which is why JOJ needs to start and Ihnen rides the pine.
Hawkins is like a less disciplined Isaiah Washington. He is looking for flashy when we need him to look for efficiency. If he lets the game dictate his aggressiveness we will be better off.

I think you mean "Payne needs to start." JOJ did start tonight.

Beating up on New Orleans doesn't feel great. We've proven this year we can cover the spread and then some against lesser opponents. It's not moving the needle at this point. Happy for the win, need to start winning games that matter though. There will be a lot more buzz if they play well and win the next two.
Favored by 12, won by 30, I’ll take it. Nice to have a drama free night where we were able to get a lot of minutes for the bench guys.

Serious question because I didn't see the game....

Was this a better effort than some of the other non-conference cupcakes or was this just a really bad New Orleans team? Not all have been this easy.

Favored by 12, won by 30, I’ll take it. Nice to have a drama free night where we were able to get a lot of minutes for the bench guys.
Don't disagree, a lot of good moments and always fun to see walk ons getting minutes. I'll probably watch the replay in the morning. The barn being so empty you can hear Thorson's voice echo the entire broadcast must be getting to me.

Was this a better effort than some of the other non-conference cupcakes or was this just a really bad New Orleans team? Not all have been this easy.
I'd say a bit of both. NO had a couple of nice guards, but their guys on the blocks were not terribly athletic or good defenders. On the flip side, we played a full game tonight for the first time this year.
This was a perfect game to lead into ohio on Sunday.

Sorry, you are correct.
My main point was meant to emphasize our need to aggressively go to the rim with authority. Ihnen refuses to do this and his 1st game 3 point shooting was fools gold.
Not sure it was fools gold. I think he’s always had the ability. He just needs do make the “decision” so to speak. I believe it’s the same thing that makes him tenative when going to the rim.

If he did both with aggression, sure ess I think they’d both be there.

BTW, really great point on Hawkins and aggressiveness a few posts earlier.

We made them look really bad…they’ll be okay this year

Top Bottom