***OFFICIAL NEBRASKA AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

I can't handle reading this thread, and I'm sure it has been said, but that may have been the worst coached D-1 basketball game I have seen in my life. To allow your only two consistent offensive performers to get three fouls in the first half, knowing the refs were whistle happy, and with a fifteen point lead, is inexcusable. It's one thing if you're playing a top notch team who could finish you off with a two minute run, but this was a terrible team. There was no reason to take that kind of risk, which ended up torching him in the second half and nearly costing the game.

The weak one handed passes are driving me crazy and have nothing to do with talent or shooting ability. This was brutal and can't be dismissed as simply a one off bad game. Coaches and players need a come to Jesus and get their heads back in the game. The season isn't lost yet.
Yup. So many issues in year 8. And the one handed sloppy passing is both infuriating and expected at this point.

Yup. So many issues in year 8. And the one handed sloppy passing is both infuriating and expected at this point.
Gach only throws three passes. It is insane. Has he never learned to properly pass?

To win in the big ten you need 3-4 physical players. It also helps if you have at least 3-4 good 3 pt shooters. This is Pitino’s gophers big weakness. We love to not work for easy baskets and just jack up three’s. Guess who else love’s that? Every team we play.

Top 25 Rutgers. If the gophers make it as 7-8-9-10 seed they likely play someone worse than that to open.

Great, I'm so glad that is what we pin our hopes on. Started the Big Ten season well and people were talking top 4 seed, top 4 finish in the B1G and now we are talking about sneaking in on the bubble and hopefully getting an easy team first round only to get beat by 20 the next game.

I, for one, am sick of this attitude and sick of watching these collapses year after year.

So? Butgers whipped their ass.

Whipped their ass? You're killing your credibility fast. We literally lost on the last possession to Rutgers at their place - btw, Rutgers was ranked for half the year before injuries and also has beaten Illinois and Purdue at their place as well as Maryland and Indiana on the road. Rutgers is 100% a tournament team.

Whipped their ass? You're killing your credibility fast. We literally lost on the last possession to Rutgers at their place - btw, Rutgers was ranked for half the year before injuries and also has beaten Illinois and Purdue at their place as well as Maryland and Indiana on the road. Rutgers is 100% a tournament team.
Great for them. They still lose with frequency. And are a team you have to beat if you want to be taken seriously.

So sick of this type of attitude. Understand if you don't look at a team like Rutgers on your schedule and think auto W, your program isn't good.

Yup. Whipped. The MN offense vs the Rutgers D late in the game. What happened? How did it happen? Were there repeated mistakes - within a couple seconds of game time?

Whipped.

Great for them. They still lose with frequency. And are a team you have to beat if you want to be taken seriously.

So sick of this type of attitude. Understand if you don't look at a team like Rutgers on your schedule and think auto W, your program isn't good.

Your last sentence is total shite. Rutgers was good last year and they are ranked this year and have beat some very good teams. Who looks at a game with a Top 25 team and thinks "auto W"?

The needed attitude adjustment is for people like you and BarnBurner, who are apparently looking at a school's "brand" and historical success as an indicator of current season achievement. If a team is ranked in the Top 25, there is a reason for that. We are 2/3 of the way through the season; it's not a pre-season poll based on projections.

Yup. Whipped. The MN offense vs the Rutgers D late in the game. What happened? How did it happen? Were there repeated mistakes - within a couple seconds of game time?

Whipped.

Sorry dude, you need a better understanding of the English language. "Whipped their ass" is what the Gophers did to Michigan or Ohio State or Michigan State - or, to be fair, what has happened to us in most of our road games. The Rutgers game, however, was not a game where anyone got their ass whipped. We made mistakes in the last minute, but that doesn't equate to getting our ass whipped.

If you want to say we pissed down our leg at the end against Rutgers, that would be very true. But just because you lack critical thinking and communication skills, don't make some childish name play out of a Top 25 team's name and throw out some hyperbolic statement that they "whipped our ass" when they won by 4 points.

Last edited:

Your last sentence is total shite. Rutgers was good last year and they are ranked this year and have beat some very good teams. Who looks at a game with a Top 25 team and thinks "auto W"?

The needed attitude adjustment is for people like you and BarnBurner, who are apparently looking at a school's "brand" and historical success as an indicator of current season achievement. If a team is ranked in the Top 25, there is a reason for that. We are 2/3 of the way through the season; it's not a pre-season poll based on projections.

I stand by my statement.

Good teams laugh at stuff like that. Programs with an identity aren't scared and don't make excuses. Good coaches find ways to take teams like that and remind them why they are Rutgers.

I stand by my statement.

Good teams laugh at stuff like that. Programs with an identity aren't scared and don't make excuses. Good coaches find ways to take teams like that and remind them why they are Rutgers.

I guess Matt Painter and Brad Underwood and Mark Turgeon and Archie Miller would take some serious offense to that statement. Oh wait, Jim Boeheim too. But yeah, none of those guys are good coaches.

I guess Matt Painter and Brad Underwood and Mark Turgeon and Archie Miller would take some serious offense to that statement. Oh wait, Jim Boeheim too. But yeah, none of those guys are good coaches.

Hey stick with it. I don't care. I won't make excuses ever for losing to a team like that. And if I were the coach they'd run until they puked after the way they closed out that game.

And those guys that you speak of probably reminded their teams in practice the next day why you don't lose to Rutgers. Our boy probably made up a pile of excuses and bought them ice cream.

Not to mention Iowa, Ohio St, Michigan, and Tom Izzo failing to laugh at and remind the worthless Gophers who we are.

Hey stick with it. I don't care. I won't make excuses ever for losing to a team like that. And if I were the coach they'd run until they puked after the way they closed out that game.

And those guys that you speak of probably reminded their teams in practice the next day why you don't lose to Rutgers. Our boy probably made up a pile of excuses and bought them ice cream.

what are you talking about? Did you just start watching sports?

You can't say a team "like that" when their results of the past two seasons don't support that. This isn't 1980's Northwestern football. Teams and programs improve despite previous history. If a team was destined to stay in the same status forever, why would so many of us watch sports? Rutgers was going to the tournament last year (had a winning Big Ten record) and they will again this year. Any of us who watch college basketball regularly can say that Steve Pikiell has had Rutgers on a very solid trajectory the past few years and they have always been tough to beat at the RAC. There literally is not one coach in the Big Ten who was hazing his team at practice for having lost to a Top 25 quality team. He may have been upset with mistakes they made or things they didn't execute, but no coach is so stupid to be clowning an opponent because they didn't have decades of previous success behind them. These coaches operate in the present.

Ridiculous to think a coach would say "well, it's okay that was mighty Wisconsin we lost to and they have been good for 20 years, so take the day off, fellas" or "How could you lose to Rutgers? They have never been good. I don't care who else they beat this year. They're not good because they sucked in the 2000s!"

They played well against Rutgers, close game, hard to win on the road, I wouldn't be to harsh on them for that game, but continued lack of intensity on defensive and the inability to adjust and the total breakdown of the offense when things aren't going as planned is getting old. They look disjointed, undisciplined, and not very well coached a lot of the time, it's not like this is new, it has been happening for 8 years now.

Rutgers game was not an ass whipping.

It was more like executing a good hardy piss at the end of a hard night of drinking beers and then putting things away just to let the last few drops dribble down your leg. In khakis.

Great, I'm so glad that is what we pin our hopes on. Started the Big Ten season well and people were talking top 4 seed, top 4 finish in the B1G and now we are talking about sneaking in on the bubble and hopefully getting an easy team first round only to get beat by 20 the next game.

I, for one, am sick of this attitude and sick of watching these collapses year after year.

Why do you get mad at me? I just said if they are a 7-8-9-10 seed. Seems more realistic than a 4 seed. Could see them getting hot again and being a 4-5 seed. Could see them missing the tourney. This team is great if they get out to a lead. Miserable if they don’t.

They played well against Rutgers, close game, hard to win on the road, I wouldn't be to harsh on them for that game, but continued lack of intensity on defensive and the inability to adjust and the total breakdown of the offense when things aren't going as planned is getting old. They look disjointed, undisciplined, and not very well coached a lot of the time, it's not like this is new, it has been happening for 8 years now.

Your points are fair and valid. It's been a really frustrating stretch since that Michigan win, which definitely had a lot of our fan base excited and talking about it as a signature win for Pitino. It's hard for me personally to reconcile how we can be so good in some of those wins and then look so out of it and lost in others. I guess that is a bit of a hallmark of the Pitino teams. It's also what still has me holding on to some hope for the final 7 games...

Sorry dude, you need a better understanding of the English language. "Whipped their ass" is what the Gophers did to Michigan or Ohio State or Michigan State - or, to be fair, what has happened to us in most of our road games. The Rutgers game, however, was not a game where anyone got their ass whipped. We made mistakes in the last minute, but that doesn't equate to getting our ass whipped.

If you want to say we pissed down our leg at the end against Rutgers, that would be very true. But just because you lack critical thinking and communication skills, don't make some childish name play out of a Top 25 team's name and throw out some hyperbolic statement that they "whipped our ass" when they won by 4 points.
Well, Dude, .....

Whipped and pissing down your leg have the same result. A Loss.
If you wish to continue with your superiority fantasy, go for it Dude.

Well stated. Carr laughing off piss poor play is really telling.

Well, Dude, .....

Whipped and pissing down your leg have the same result. A Loss.
If you wish to continue with your superiority fantasy, go for it Dude.

Superiority fantasy? You're just filled with hyperbole trying to push your agenda. All of your posts go to the same place.

If you don't have the ability to differentiate losing by 4 on the road to a Top 25 team with a game where we lose by 15+, I can't say anything to help. I get it, it makes you really mad when the Gophers win or when they play a good team and lose in the final minute. That doesn't help your agenda at all.

I never disputed that it wasn't a loss. While a frustrating ending to that game, it was not a performance to be embarrassed about. Games where we were down by 25-30, sure that's an embarrassment or a "whipping" as you said.

Superiority fantasy? You're just filled with hyperbole trying to push your agenda. All of your posts go to the same place.

If you don't have the ability to differentiate losing by 4 on the road to a Top 25 team with a game where we lose by 15+, I can't say anything to help. I get it, it makes you really mad when the Gophers win or when they play a good team and lose in the final minute. That doesn't help your agenda at all.

I never disputed that it wasn't a loss. While a frustrating ending to that game, it was not a performance to be embarrassed about. Games where we were down by 25-30, sure that's an embarrassment or a "whipping" as you said.
A loss is a loss, Senior Superiority. Look in the standings.

My agenda? My agenda? Oh, of course! My agenda to get RP fired!!!! A win makes me mad? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Is that the agenda to which I subscribe? Or another?

YEs, it was indeed a performance to be embarrassed by. Experienced players looking like clowns in attempting to get off a shot!!!!!!! Not once, twice! Within SECONDS.

That, Senior Sup, is coaching.

A loss is a loss, Senior Superiority. Look in the standings.

My agenda? My agenda? Oh, of course! My agenda to get RP fired!!!! A win makes me mad? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Is that the agenda to which I subscribe? Or another?

YEs, it was indeed a performance to be embarrassed by. Experienced players looking like clowns in attempting to get off a shot!!!!!!! Not once, twice! Within SECONDS.

That, Senior Sup, is coaching.

Ah man, it's gonna be A-mazing watching us win 5 of our last 7 games and seeing your meltdown grow hotter with each one.

Ah man, it's gonna be A-mazing watching us win 5 of our last 7 games and seeing your meltdown grow hotter with each one.
Which two will MN lose? Let's have now, Senior Superiority.....

BTW - did I describe my agenda correctly?

Which two will MN lose? Let's have now, Senior Superiority.....

BTW - did I describe my agenda correctly?

I'm just gonna put you in ignore. Your two agendas have been following Built around like a stalker in a very weird way and putting a negative spin on anything Gopher basketball-related. You also made some very ill-informed (and oddly-timed, given the quality of the class) comments on PJ's recruiting on the football board. I really have never seen you post anything positive that I can recall. Even after we beat Top 10 teams this year

I'm just gonna put you in ignore. Your two agendas have been following Built around like a stalker in a very weird way and putting a negative spin on anything Gopher basketball-related. You also made some very ill-informed (and oddly-timed, given the quality of the class) comments on PJ's recruiting on the football board. I really have never seen you post anything positive that I can recall. Even after we beat Top 10 teams this year
Just look for his posts regarding UVA basketball. Very Positive!

Sorry Burner, this was like a hanging curveball.

Well I guess I'm just in the wrong place. I just can't fathom being jacked up about constantly finishing 8-13th in conference, we are 5-7 in conference, am I supposed to be enthusiastic about that? Was i wrong on the stretch earlier in the year, CLEARLY, but the past whatever 5-6 games have been just a mess if you ask me. Sure we won tonight, our coach put our 2 best players back in with 2 fouls in the 1st half when we were up 14 points. We missed 18 straight shots at one point. Like I just don't think we should be giddy about it. Apparently I'm totally wrong on that but just the way I see it

You seem to be confusing giddiness with relief. Just because we aren't all jumping overboard doesn't mean that we don't have concerns. The team has been underachieving as of recently. They also have one of the best groups of wins of any team in the country. There's a middle ground between "everything sucks" and unwavering confidence.

Big talk from Mr Superiority and then he wont tell us the predictions on the two losses!!!! Run away lil feller.

I call a spade a spade. You dont like that, and I dont care.

Poo See.

Top Bottom