***OFFICIAL NEBRASKA AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

There is a very small very loyal contingent to Pitino in our fanbase(and obviously on this board), but most in the fanbase have realized that nice guy or not, it just isn't working and a change will probably or at least should be made.

Winning games is always nice, but that small contingent gloating on here after beating 4-10 Nebraska at home probably just reinforces the point that maybe a change is needed.

noamfromm said:
Anyone else notice that Hoiberg seemed interested in saying good game to Conroy and not Pitino?

That is interesting... Hoiberg is the 'transfer king' so he's hedging his bets (as he shockingly but joyfully watches 3's continuously chucked up by an undisciplined home team that SHOULD NOT be shooting them) and trying to line up getting a nice center if RP goes RIP as the Gopher coach at the end of the year.

That was another ugly one. I think the 3rd foul on Robbins was garbage, but the foul trouble of Robbins and Carr was kind of a microcosm of the Gophers team as whole that didn't exactly seem locked in and focused on making the right basketball plays. That wasn't just Nebraska last night, it was Nebraska without Teddy Allen.

It's possible I missed a timeout, but I was blown away that Pitino just watched as 3 after 3 was launched in the 2nd half and the lead continued to dwindle. He finally called a timeout AFTER a shot clock violation with like 8:23 or something left in the game and a TV timeout coming soon. I'll never understand the logic of the timeout coming after the offensive possession, letting your opponent draw up an ATO? The team went 5 minutes without scoring and then another 3 empty possessions after the Brandon Johnson free throw. I hope everyone (especially Coyle) saw what this team could look like next year without Marcus Carr.

It's ok, the referees were simply confused, they thought Robbins and Carr played for Kansas City's defense and that Hoiberg was Tom Brady.

Id rather watch them win like this than lose by 20. And you’re still watching despite it being garbage? Sad life you live.
Been watching for 4 decades. A win is great. Always.

Missing 20 shots in a row on your home court, no less, is pathetic. Sloppy passing, repeatedly. If you cant see how poor this team truly plays, no one can help you.

Take a listen to Beilein again - his comments were pure gold, and told a very sad story for MN BB team.

Win against Purdue and everyone is talking about the Sweet 16 again
What will the tally of wins be after playing Illinois, Maryland, and Purdue? This team is fully capable of not making the dance.

Been watching for 4 decades. A win is great. Always.

Missing 20 shots in a row on your home court, no less, is pathetic. Sloppy passing, repeatedly. If you cant see how poor this team truly plays, no one can help you.

Take a listen to Beilein again - his comments were pure gold, and told a very sad story for MN BB team.

I never once said it was enjoyable. I said its more fun to watch a win than a loss.

The posters on here who are positive see what you see. But being unhappy for two hours during every game because they could and should be better is a poor way to live life.

I say 50/50 Gophs make NCAA. I want 'em in because you just gotta love the NCAA tournament and it sucks when we aren't in. But I want Pitino gone regardless. This could be shaping up for a Tubby type of exit. If we're in the tournament though, I'll be all in.
If they do somehow manage to get in I'm not sure I can expect a win with as poor shooting and disciplined this team is. 3's aren't going in and they just keep chucking them up possession after possession. And sloppy passing will help to do them in in the first round as well as give me a freakin heart attack.

There is a very small very loyal contingent to Pitino in our fanbase(and obviously on this board), but most in the fanbase have realized that nice guy or not, it just isn't working and a change will probably or at least should be made.

Winning games is always nice, but that small contingent gloating on here after beating 4-10 Nebraska at home probably just reinforces the point that maybe a change is needed.

I think Pitino should be gone. But to say anyone was gloating is silly. This team can beat anyone in the conference. They can lose to anyone in the conference. They are talented but kinda shitty a lot of the time.Doesn’t mean I can’t be happy they won

I also don’t know anyone who is loyal to Pitino. Never met the dude. Hopefully his wife is?

I never once said it was enjoyable. I said its more fun to watch a win than a loss.

The posters on here who are positive see what you see. But being unhappy for two hours during every game because they could and should be better is a poor way to live life.
I am far from unhappy for the durations of the games. Sporting events do not hold that sway over me. And thank you for taking my inventory on ways to live - really appreciate it!

I am a realist. Been watching RP teams for nearly 8 seasons, and the same issues surface game after game, year after year. If you see what others see, great. Delude yourself into believing that Win last night was anything but sloppy rubbish.

I'd be really bummed if Pitino is the coach next year.

I just don’t see how he would be. Even with Covid, some nice wins, etc. No one can honestly love the direction of this program and its been 8 years. Even a tourney win doesn’t change that. Does a Sweet 16? Elite 8? If they caught lightning in a bottle and made the Sweet 16 I would fire him.

If they caught lightning in a bottle and made the Sweet 16 I would fire him.

I think that would be a bad move, regardless of whether his overall record merits firing. I think that would make potential coaching hires a little more hesitant to come here.

Having said that, I think the point is moot because I just can't see this team going that far.

Anyone else notice that Hoiberg seemed interested in saying good game to Conroy and not Pitino?

I thought so at first too, but it was just the way the camera caught the exchange. I backed up to see it again. They had greeted each other once already prior to the awkward exchange.

I am far from unhappy for the durations of the games. Sporting events do not hold that sway over me. And thank you for taking my inventory on ways to live - really appreciate it!

I am a realist. Been watching RP teams for nearly 8 seasons, and the same issues surface game after game, year after year. If you see what others see, great. Delude yourself into believing that Win last night was anything but sloppy rubbish.

You certainly seem worked up 10 hours after the game. They won. It was ugly. Move on.

I’ve never said I enjoy his teams, or think they are awesome. I’ve wanted him to succeed here because that means the team is successful. Just like I’ll want the next coach to succeed. And the next one. Pitino’s teams are inconsistent. They don’t shoot well. They’ve always relied on 1 or 2 excellent players (Murphy, Oturu, Coffey, Carr, Robbins, etc) to keep them competitive. They’ll steal wins and melt down because they aren’t very good. Always lack depth. Never REALLY play defense consistently. No real offense. Nothing creative. Lots of 1 on 1. With all that said I hope they win the National title this year.

I think that would be a bad move, regardless of whether his overall record merits firing. I think that would make potential coaching hires a little more hesitant to come here.

Having said that, I think the point is moot because I just can't see this team going that far.

I mean they are capable of beating 2 good teams in a row. They do hold wins over #3 and #4 in the nation. Different times but it happened. His overall record is abysmal. He has a lower winning % than the Timberwolves in the same time period.

Coyle did not hire Pitino. He wants his guy.

I hear people say that every now and then and I always consider it nonsense. ADs aren't like General Managers of pro teams. They're business managers. I'm sure the last thing most ADs want to do is fire a coach. I believe there is a good chance that Coyle will fire Pitino after this season if we don't have a good finish (probably NCAA tournament anyway) but that won't be because he "wants his guy." If he really "wanted his guy" he would have fired Pitino already.

I say 50/50 Gophs make NCAA. I want 'em in because you just gotta love the NCAA tournament and it sucks when we aren't in. But I want Pitino gone regardless. This could be shaping up for a Tubby type of exit. If we're in the tournament though, I'll be all in.
All the tourney games are on the road, so...

I mean they are capable of beating 2 good teams in a row.

The only time this year when I think you can say that is when they beat St. Louis and Iowa in consecutive games and both of those games were at home. They beat Michigan State (at home) right after that but I wouldn't call Mich State a good team at that point of the season. They're better now but still not very good (only 3-7 in the conference). That was the last time in the season where the Gophers had consecutive wins period. Since then, they're 3-6.

I think Pitino should be gone. But to say anyone was gloating is silly. This team can beat anyone in the conference. They can lose to anyone in the conference. They are talented but kinda shitty a lot of the time.Doesn’t mean I can’t be happy they won

I also don’t know anyone who is loyal to Pitino. Never met the dude. Hopefully his wife is?

I'm happy they won too.

The only time this year when I think you can say that is when they beat St. Louis and Iowa in consecutive games and both of those games were at home. They beat Michigan State (at home) right after that but I wouldn't call Mich State a good team at that point of the season. They're better now but still not very good (only 3-7 in the conference). That was the last time in the season where the Gophers had consecutive wins period. Since then, they're 3-6.
True. But unlikely to open the NCAA tourney with two teams the caliber of Michigan/Iowa/Illinois/wisconsin/etc

You certainly seem worked up 10 hours after the game. They won. It was ugly. Move on.

I’ve never said I enjoy his teams, or think they are awesome. I’ve wanted him to succeed here because that means the team is successful. Just like I’ll want the next coach to succeed. And the next one. Pitino’s teams are inconsistent. They don’t shoot well. They’ve always relied on 1 or 2 excellent players (Murphy, Oturu, Coffey, Carr, Robbins, etc) to keep them competitive. They’ll steal wins and melt down because they aren’t very good. Always lack depth. Never REALLY play defense consistently. No real offense. Nothing creative. Lots of 1 on 1. With all that said I hope they win the National title this year.
Agreed. Other than being worked up. Not in the least.

And thank you for making my point.

I can't handle reading this thread, and I'm sure it has been said, but that may have been the worst coached D-1 basketball game I have seen in my life. To allow your only two consistent offensive performers to get three fouls in the first half, knowing the refs were whistle happy, and with a fifteen point lead, is inexcusable. It's one thing if you're playing a top notch team who could finish you off with a two minute run, but this was a terrible team. There was no reason to take that kind of risk, which ended up torching him in the second half and nearly costing the game.

The weak one handed passes are driving me crazy and have nothing to do with talent or shooting ability. This was brutal and can't be dismissed as simply a one off bad game. Coaches and players need a come to Jesus and get their heads back in the game. The season isn't lost yet.

Top Bottom