***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA VS VANDY IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

Last year this team would've caved after fouling 3 pt shooter

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Last year this team wouldn't have overcame a 14-2 deficit to start the game. Likely lose by double-digits.

Great win! Now let's build some confidence through the rest of the noncon schedule!

No Gilbert tonight. Did I miss an injury?

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

No Gilbert tonight. Did I miss an injury?

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

I was wondering the same thing. He looked a little banged up at the end of the FSU game. Hopefully just precautionary and nothing serious nor discipline related.

The defense for the vast majority of the game was very good, but this offense.... Paint scoring? abysmal Perimeter shooting? almost non-existant Free Throws? atrocious. The Gophers were able to get the better looks the vast majority of the game, they just can't convert anything. Once they get out of a rhythm. it seems like they need something like that transition oop to Coffey to get out of it. It's concerning that they can't just knock down a good look in a half court set to get back on track.

Whew! Two teams shooting up rocks. Thankfully more rocks fell for the good guys.
There is a lot of positives to take from this game. We grinded out a game and found a way to pull out the win. We played really solid defense. We didn't have a ton of turnovers.
Game would have been much easier if we just shot 70% from the charity stripe. It's hard to grasp why the team shot so poorly tonight.

Ugly game but they managed to get the win. Plenty for this team to work on.

I was wondering the same thing. He looked a little banged up at the end of the FSU game. Hopefully just precautionary and nothing serious nor discipline related.

Nobody was in foul trouble and the matchups with Vandy didn't require a bigger wing when Coffey went to the bench. I think it was the right call to just play Springs and keep the speed/athleticism advantage against this particular opponent.

Nobody was in foul trouble and the matchups with Vandy didn't require a bigger wing when Coffey went to the bench. I think it was the right call to just play Springs and keep the speed/athleticism advantage against this particular opponent.

Ah. Good point. Hope that's the case. Thanks, EG.

The defense for the vast majority of the game was very good, but this offense.... Paint scoring? abysmal Perimeter shooting? almost non-existant Free Throws? atrocious. The Gophers were able to get the better looks the vast majority of the game, they just can't convert anything. Once they get out of a rhythm. it seems like they need something like that transition oop to Coffey to get out of it. It's concerning that they can't just knock down a good look in a half court set to get back on track.
Yep too much static offense -- not enough movement and flow - it does take a breakout from Coffey to get them out of their stand and look offense.. Good point EG.

Huge Win!

Ah. Good point. Hope that's the case. Thanks, EG.

Winning neutral site while struggling and behind, that's awesome!!
Another possible factor on Gilbert, there were virtually no fouls called from the cryptic stats I saw. No idea... happy with the win!!!

We really struggled to finish around the rim. Some credit to Vandy for swarming our bigs and helping on drives. Still, some of the issue was us just not finishing.

Springs doesn't seem to be forcing the play as much now but man, his shot is broke. He badly missed two open shots from the elbow and one good look from three.

FT shooting was absolutely abysmal. But you know what happens to this board when you start talking about missed FT's being important...

How can Curry only get 11 minutes? Murphy's 16 pts/14 rebs stats are misleading....8/17 FG, 0/4 FT, 3 TOs, 0 asts. Curry meanwhile plays clean (3/5 FG, 3 rebs, 2 asts, 0 TOs) with a better head on his shoulders. I think it's right to keep him off the bench, but it's clear he can take minutes from Jordan.

How can Curry only get 11 minutes? Murphy's 16 pts/14 rebs stats are misleading....8/17 FG, 0/4 FT, 3 TOs, 0 asts. Curry meanwhile plays clean (3/5 FG, 3 rebs, 2 asts, 0 TOs) with a better head on his shoulders. I think it's right to keep him off the bench, but it's clear he can take minutes from Jordan.

I agree. Curry needs to see the floor more, 11 minutes from him is not enough. One thing that drives me crazy about Murphy is his poor passing ability. Too many times he puts his head down and throws up a wild shot. That being said he did play very hard tonight and I am happy with the W. Need to keep on improving though if we want to win big ten games because tonight's performance will not fly against many Big Ten teams

Springs doesn't seem to be forcing the play as much now but man, his shot is broke. He badly missed two open shots from the elbow and one good look from three.

I think he was shocked to be so wide open. Both shots from the elbow looked like he expected someone to block his shot from behind.
He's a guard who was playing out of position on the free throw line with his back to the basket. I'm not sure why Coach Pitino had him playing in that spot. I don't expect Pitino to put Springs there ever again.

Mom's got a Gopherhole account now, huh? LOLOL

Curry's looked really good so far this year. Don't sweat his minutes. He's a different kind of player than Murphy; not really going to take minutes from each other ... but I do think Curry's ceiling is higher. Don't rush it, though.

Was at game tonight, fun time, great atmosphere! Highlight of the night was sitting close to Richard Coffey, even got to shake his hand. Loved watching him play when I was a kid.

Way to finish, gophers!

lol....

Was a game Pitino trusted very few people in the game. Curry played some great minutes, but you cannot deny Murphy's rebounding and defense, dude is solid out there. Curry will get many minutes this year and already has, to complain about a closely contested event against Vandy is ridiculous.

lol....

Was a game Pitino trusted very few people in the game. Curry played some great minutes, but you cannot deny Murphy's rebounding and defense, dude is solid out there. Curry will get many minutes this year and already has, to complain about a closely contested event against Vandy is ridiculous.

I was surprised Gilbert didn't get any minutes with as much trouble we were having with the zone in the 2nd half. We made what, four or five 3's the whole game?

Anyway, good win, nice crowd, great atmosphere.

We win a tough game, and the game thread is full of complaints about minute distribution? Ah, GH....

Winning neutral site while struggling and behind, that's awesome!!
Another possible factor on Gilbert, there were virtually no fouls called from the cryptic stats I saw. No idea... happy with the win!!!

It was only neutral relative to Target Center being neutral, Clem. :cool: The reffing was sooo much better than Monday night. Night and day. So much more fun to watch.

We win a tough game, and the game thread is full of complaints about minute distribution? Ah, GH....

Hahaha. "A tough game". Vandy won't be a top 100 team by the end of the year. They are probably the 4th best team we have played this year. This win was basically avoiding a bad loss.

Hahaha. "A tough game". Vandy won't be a top 100 team by the end of the year. They are probably the 4th best team we have played this year. This win was basically avoiding a bad loss.

The SEC is awful. Both Arkansas and Vandy will be in the upper half of the conference, IMO.

lol....

If we are going to act like Vandy is any good then we're just not on the same page. Huge gopher fan, couldn't be happier that we won regardless of how it happened. However, while Murphy rebounded well and did play good defense, especially down the stretch, it's impossible to look past how he hurts us on offense with his poor decisions and turnovers. Want the kid to kill it, just think Curry gives us much more when we are having a bad offensive night such as tonight. I think he was at least +10 in his limited minutes.

For what it's worth, kenpom has Vandy at 70 right now.

For what it's worth, kenpom has Vandy at 70 right now.

Yep. Has UT Arlington at 72, who I think is a better team and will be by the end of the year. So I was thinking Arlington, Arkansas, and FSU were all better.

Murphy just needs to let his offense come to him. He's playing like the end of last year where he needed to carry the team on his back. 17 shots is just too many. Many were forced into double teams, he just needs to learn how to kick those touches back out when nothing is there.

Murphy just needs to let his offense come to him. He's playing like the end of last year where he needed to carry the team on his back. 17 shots is just too many. Many were forced into double teams, he just needs to learn how to kick those touches back out when nothing is there.

I think at least some of those shots were him putting one up, having it roll off the rim, grabbing his own miss and putting it up again, which would inflate his rebounding total and make his shooting percentage look worse.

Top Bottom