***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT RUTGERS IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Obviously a rank amateur. He's their problem now, thank goodness.
Too much on the job experience to know better. CBJ had perfected his NBA2k19 franchise settings for this rebuild…I’m surprised it’s not playing out to his rookie mode custom settings

Cooper's last 5 games....4-28 from 3........i questioned him after the Indiana game when he went 0-6 from 3 for his 2nd straight game and asked if this was the new norm for him. he followed that up with 2 straight games of shooting 2-8 in both games.

we all jinxed him when we begged him to shoot more 3's

We have gone from "the freshman continue to improve " to "well I guess they are playing". Almost like the coach isn't helping them to get better.

I never said that. Freshman are going to have a lot of ups and downs. Trying to chart their progress from game to game is a fools task.

And a coach with ZERO track record of success virtually anyplace he’s played or coached at the college level. Pickiell had that track record when he took the Rutgers job, and that legitimacy got them through a rough couple years, knowing he had the pelts on the wall to find success. That’s legitimacy our guy has never had.

ROFL at you guys acting like some success at Stony Brook would have you guys giving Johnson a longer leash. You'd be whining about how winning there means nothing.

Fact: Pikiell finished last in the Big Ten his first two years.

But how if he's such a great coach? Could it be that he needed a few years to build a team? Nah. He gets a free pass because he won some games at Stony Brook. Lol.

Fact: Pikiell finished last in the Big Ten his first two years.

But how if he's such a great coach? Could it be that he needed a few years to build a team? Nah. He gets a free pass because he won some games at Stony Brook.
Forget about winning.

What about simply the fact that he was ... you know, actually a head coach somewhere before he was hired as a Big Ten head coach?

To set the record straight, Ben did not inherit an empty roster. It was a full roster, all but one of whom bolted after he was hired. No reasonable person expected him to retain them all, but the exodus was shocking to me, and I've seen a lot of shit and am not easy to shock.
You guys...I 100% guarantee...would bitch & moan and come unglued game-by-game NO MATTER WHAT.

Recruiting & nothing else matters to you...you don't have the maturity to watch the games without becoming unhinged.

You guys...I 100% guarantee...would bitch & moan and come unglued game-by-game NO MATTER WHAT.

Recruiting & nothing else matters to you...you don't have the maturity to watch the games without becoming unhinged.
Make no mistake, the declining relevance, attendance and revenue generated by this program are a very serious situation. I question the intelligence and wisdom of anyone who isn't coming a little unglued at this point.

Who wouldn't come unhinged watching a 35 point loss -- the worst in two decades!

Hopefully Battle and Garcia are bad so they are here next year.

Isnt that what you think? Sound like a true fan!

Who wouldn't come unhinged watching a 35 point loss -- the worst in two decades!
According to the Star Tribune, it was the biggest margin of victory for Rutgers yet in the Big Ten.

I'm not sure if the conference has seen a team as bad as the Gophers since Ben Johnson played at Northwestern.

Maybe....@EasyTherePilgram is the best fan of us all... and he is a true believer in putting the program above all else. He is rooting for players to play terrible or be out...etc so the Gophers look so bad, that they are forced to fire CBJ in order to have the opportunity to be good again. This is next level thinking by @EasyTherePilgram - kudos to him for the foresight

I think the Gophers need to make more shots. If you're only going to make 30%, you'd better be taking a lot more shots.
The Gophers took 1 less shot than Rutgers last night and 2 less free throws. The efficiency of those shots and is wildly different. Rutgers shot 23.6% better! Its a lot of things. Better looks (SO MANY LAYUPS), better shooters, better offensive game plan.

Maybe....@EasyTherePilgram is the best fan of us all... and he is a true believer in putting the program above all else. He is rooting for players to play terrible or be out...etc so the Gophers look so bad, that they are forced to fire CBJ in order to have the opportunity to be good again. This is next level thinking by @EasyTherePilgram - kudos to him for the foresight
I can dislike CBJ as a coach (which I do) and think it was a bad hire but as an actual fan I cannot root against the Gophers. Sad that the White Knight ETP cannot stomach players doing well. Some fans just want the program to fail--he is one of them.

The Gophers took 1 less shot than Rutgers last night and 2 less free throws. The efficiency of those shots and is wildly different. Rutgers shot 23.6% better! Its a lot of things. Better looks, better shooters, better offense.
and what does this all start with...better coac*ing (it's a fill in the blank challenge)

The Gophers took 1 less shot than Rutgers last night and 2 less free throws. The efficiency of those shots and is wildly different. Rutgers shot 23.6% better! Its a lot of things. Better looks (SO MANY LAYUPS), better shooters, better offensive game plan.
I have rarely if ever seen a team get as many easy shots as Rutgers got. It was one of the worst defensive showings I have ever witnessed at this level. Rutgers is not an offensive juggernaut.

Preferably they will get/continue to be injured. But failing that, we need to hope they play poorly. Also, fans should stop watching the games.

But, don't forget, the future is bright!

35 point loss.
Worst defensive display of the season.

Have the players quit on their coach?

That’s usually what a lack of effort means.

This sucks, our season is over, I’m going to coast on D and get mine on O. - new player mentality?

I have rarely if ever seen a team get as many easy shots as Rutgers got. It was one of the worst defensive showings I have ever witnessed at this level. Rutgers is not an offensive juggernaut.
They are not an offensive juggernaut, but they are also the only team to defeat Purdue so they aren't slouches, they are extremely hard to beat at home, and they likely remember the embarrassing loss they had at Williams Arena last year.

Our kids gave up in the 2nd half. That's on them and on the coaching staff. The team has to address that poor response to adversity.

It was as bad as you can play defensively with a team that was recruited and given scholarships.

Rutgers largest margin of victory in a B1G game.

Gophers largest conference loss since 2001.

Below is a quote from a reader comment on the Star Tribune's story on last night's game that contains an interesting statistic:

"Minnesota has only attempted 121 shots in the paint, that is less than half of almost all big ten schools whose attempts in the paint are, 264, 276, 226, 284, 227, 283, 281, 202, 234, 194, 291, 221, and 235. It’s ludicrous that we care so little about shot selection when we shoot so poorly. That is 100% on the coaching staff."

Woah.

In year 2, Craig Smith is 15-8 and 8-4 in the Pac12 at Utah. :(
His only 2024 recruit is a 6'4" guard, just imagine that weak ass wingspan.

They may have guards, competent basketball and some wins but they don't have sh!t for wingspan in the pipeline.

We dodged a bullet there fellas.

I'm sorry to tell you this, but you are the one that seems a bit unhinged.

Below is a quote from a reader comment on the Star Tribune's story on last night's game that contains an interesting statistic:

"Minnesota has only attempted 121 shots in the paint, that is less than half of almost all big ten schools whose attempts in the paint are, 264, 276, 226, 284, 227, 283, 281, 202, 234, 194, 291, 221, and 235. It’s ludicrous that we care so little about shot selection when we shoot so poorly. That is 100% on the coaching staff."
This my biggest pet peave. We miss so many opportunities to throw the ball into the lane. Having played both the 5 and other positions because of my height, nothing pisses me off more when I work my ass off and don’t receive the ball when I’m only 6-8 feet from the hoop. On the other end, I loved throwing it in there because as soon as my guy doubled or even turned his back to me, I moved to an open spot and buried open shots. And if my big boy turned and made the shot it was another assist for me.

Top Bottom