***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT RUTGERS IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

The roster turnover at the end of the year will decide the rest of CBJ's tenure, imo.

Certainly could. If the players he has run for the hills....and he has to basically start back over from scratch....yeah....he'll be in trouble. If he keeps the core team together....he'll have a shot to show whether he has the chops or not.

On page 1 of this thread, you said I was ridiculous for being kinda glad that Garcia was out.

And I said that it's no more ridiculous than how this board will be tonight if we lose.

Boy was I right. The board is in complete meltdown mode. And I still say it's ridiculous come unglued game-by-game this year...rather than looking our future potential in the next 2 years.
You can not assume that players will stay around to year 2 anymore after a historically bad year 1. You also can not assume the progress is linear. Not every player will get 5% better each year no matter what. This is not a video game it’s real life. Some will get better and some will get worse.

I was left with the impression he was the high school equivalent of Tony Bennett and Bo Ryan. An incredible teacher etc. Where is that?
Falling on deaf ears. Heres the thing. Talent wise, this is a middle of the conference mid major team.
If these freshman were so talented like everyone said, they would have had good offers. None of them were coveted except maybe Payne and even he is a 9th or 10 player on a competitive team.
Evan and Christie are bare minimum types of if you want to win in the Big Ten unless your coaching is superior.(Painter, Izzo, etc)

Let’s face it. We are Northwestern until we get 3-4 more players that are any good because it doesn’t seem to me like our coach can do the more with less that is required and done consistently at places like Wisconsin

Except our "good" players are transfers. They'd have to sit at the next school unless by now they'd be grad transfers, If Garcia, Battle and Cooper leave...who scores? If freshmen transfer we are just running in place unless we change philosophy and go all portal.

If everybody is healthy and stays, there is no playing time for the 5, 6 freshmen.
It's a mess.
I don’t believe Battle would have to sit a year if he left. I could be wrong though. Yes this roster is an absolute mess right now.

I saw the end of the first half and that was enough. They were poised to implode and it sounds like I didn't miss anything spectacular in the train wreck. This team is worse than the 2016 team. I spent my vitriol then. I guess they have to get worse to tear down the Barn

You guys need to quit watching the games. You're coming unhinged.

Ola-Joseph had 17 points. He'll be a good piece in the future. We're building from rock bottom up. Ben inherited an empty roster. Another stellar recruiting class is the key...NOT the game results now.

You're going to have to wait regardless. Ben Johnson isn't getting fired for at least a couple more years. Anyone with an ounce of rationality realizes that it can't be built in two years. He literally had to build the roster from the ground up. Pikiell realized it too.

I choose to look at the positives. The fact that the freshman are getting a lot of playing time. That he's bringing in one of the best high school players in the nation. That we might bring back nearly everyone on the roster....as well as a couple guys that couldn't play at all this year due to injury.
Wrong. This won’t stand for 2 more years.

The sad part of this is that there is some talent on this team and they still play as a unit this badly.
I can think of a lot of years we could have used a number of these guys. The sum of the parts is greater than the whole and that is a serious problem. It feels like every player is out of position by a slot one way or another.
What talent do you see?
Slow guards that can’t shoot. Nothing else really matters. We haven’t had guard combos that could shoot here since Clem. We recruit dumb guys consistently that may be athletic but can rarely shoot or make good decisions

The sad part of this is that there is some talent on this team and they still play as a unit this badly.
I can think of a lot of years we could have used a number of these guys. The sum of the parts is greater than the whole and that is a serious problem. It feels like every player is out of position by a slot one way or another.
I would say whatever talent there is on the squad are role players on a good team.

The coaching and recruiting needs to get a whole lot better.

Falling on deaf ears. Heres the thing. Talent wise, this is a middle of the conference mid major team.
If these freshman were so talented like everyone said, they would have had good offers. None of them were coveted except maybe Payne and even he is a 9th or 10 player on a competitive team.
Evan and Christie are bare minimum types of if you want to win in the Big Ten unless your coaching is superior.(Painter, Izzo, etc)

Let’s face it. We are Northwestern until we get 3-4 more players that are any good because it doesn’t seem to me like our coach can do the more with less that is required and done consistently at places like Wisconsin
Still if Dave were a great teacher, I'd think we could see them trying to execute a coherent offense and defense, even if they physically aren't talented enough to compete. But I see very little of that. It doesn't seem like anyone else does either.

It’s time to cut bait. I said that in November 2022. I’ll say it again. Get a real coach and hope to keep Evans and Christie, but get some god damn portal talent. Let’s win
The positive about this is that Ben is going to start getting the message that the honeymoon is over and he has to make an aggressive move to cut some players and hit the portal hard. The players as well need to get serious about improving their games and their strength over the offseason if they have any hopes of being competitive.

You can not assume that players will stay around to year 2 anymore after a historically bad year 1. You also can not assume the progress is linear. Not every player will get 5% better each year no matter what. This is not a video game it’s real life. Some will get better and some will get worse.
Yes I AM assuming that freshmen get better as they get more experience. And the team will get better with more excellent recruiting classes.

Coming unglued game-by-game now is not intelligent.

You guys need to quit watching the games. You're coming unhinged.

Ola-Joseph had 17 points. He'll be a good piece in the future. We're building from rock bottom up. Ben inherited an empty roster. Another stellar recruiting class is the key...NOT the game results now.
He may have inherited an empty roster (some will argue that), but it’s not empty now. There is talent on the roster. The last few games have been pathetic. We have been blitzkrieg’d and CBJ and his staff are shell shocked (northwestern and Rutgers). That cannot happen as a B10 coach. This isn’t an internship, he is getting paid millions for gods sake.

He is a joke.

And it's the same TROLLS...fans of other teams...in here posting over-and-over with their ridicule & cheap-shots. Getting everyone in an extra bad mood.

The roster turnover at the end of the year will decide the rest of CBJ's tenure, imo.
This is true. As multiple people have posted, why would any player want to stay for this disaster. We won one game this year, but next year we are going for four. How does that sound promising and something a player wants to waste his eligibility on?

He may have inherited an empty roster (some will argue that), but it’s not empty now. There is talent on the roster. The last few games have been pathetic. We have been blitzkrieg’d and CBJ and his staff are shell shocked (northwestern and Rutgers). That cannot happen as a B10 coach. This isn’t an internship, he is getting paid millions for gods sake.

He is a joke.
You're a TROLL. You're a St. Thomas fan.

And it's the same TROLLS...fans of other teams...in here posting over-and-over with their ridicule & cheap-shots. Getting everyone in an extra bad mood.
What's getting everyone in an extra bad mood is how often we lose and how much we lose by. Not people pointing out how bad we are on a message board.

The positive about this is that Ben is going to start getting the message that the honeymoon is over and he has to make an aggressive move to cut some players and hit the portal hard. The players as well need to get serious about improving their games and their strength over the offseason if they have any hopes of being competitive.
I said this in another thread. Coyle is going to tell CBJ he has 1 more year and next year it’s his ass. We will see huge roster turnover this off-season and CBJ will embrace the portal and completely disregard youth / rebuilding (properly) in favor of winning now since his job is on the line

You're going to have to wait regardless. Ben Johnson isn't getting fired for at least a couple more years. Anyone with an ounce of rationality realizes that it can't be built in two years. He literally had to build the roster from the ground up. Pikiell realized it too.

I choose to look at the positives. The fact that the freshman are getting a lot of playing time. That he's bringing in one of the best high school players in the nation. That we might bring back nearly everyone on the roster....as well as a couple guys that couldn't play at all this year due to injury.
We have gone from "the freshman continue to improve " to "well I guess they are playing". Almost like the coach isn't helping them to get better.

Top Bottom