***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT RUTGERS IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

I would say whatever talent there is on the squad are role players on a good team.

The coaching and recruiting needs to get a whole lot better.
I think that's fair- some good talent that is either too green or not quite good enough to lead. I think that both Battle and Garcia would be a good 2nd or 3rd option on most teams- the problem is that they are on the same team and play the same position.

This is true. As multiple people have posted, why would any player want to stay for this disaster. We won one game this year, but next year we are going for four. How does that sound promising and something a player wants to waste his eligibility on?
That's why it will decide his tenure. Maybe they'll stay for him, maybe they'll stay for each other.... we just have to wait and see.

Yes I AM assuming that freshmen get better as they get more experience. And the team will get better with more excellent recruiting classes.

Coming unglued game-by-game now is not intelligent.
There is nothing intelligent about being a Gopher basketball fan over these past 25 years.

I'm a season ticket holder and have zero interest in watching this team. Looking forward to the end of the season.

To set the record straight, Ben did not inherit an empty roster. It was a full roster, all but one of whom bolted after he was hired. No reasonable person expected him to retain them all, but the exodus was shocking to me, and I've seen a lot of shit and am not easy to shock.

Is he though?
And why should that make any difference? Like, he's going to start trying hard now because he's on the hot seat? If that's the case, why isn't he trying hard now? The truth is that this effort and ability is his best. He's what we thought he was--or feared he was--when he was hired.

I think that's fair- some good talent that is either too green or not quite good enough to lead. I think that both Battle and Garcia would be a good 2nd or 3rd option on most teams- the problem is that they are on the same team and play the same position.
Could you imaging Battle on a top 15ish team. He may take 5-7 shots a game. His neon green light is quickly eliminated. He would be a drastically different player. At the end of the day, our coaching staff should coach those garbage shots out of his system.

And why should that make any difference? Like, he's going to start trying hard now because he's on the hot seat? If that's the case, why isn't he trying hard now? The truth is that this effort and ability is his best. He's what we thought he was--or feared he was--when he was hired.
I think that the bad losses that add up make it more likely that he can't just stand pat with these guys thinking that they will improve and next year will be better. Right now the guys are showing that the gap is too big to be bridged with the current roster. An infusion of good guard play is crucial and I have to believe he sees that and realizes another year like this one could doom him -even though I still think they would give him 4-5 minimum. No doubt- this is the worst of our fears though.

This is becoming a bigger and bigger concern. I'm going to be holding my breath, hoping for the best but fearing the worst, when the season ends.
I’m less concerned about Battle and Garcia than the freshman that we have now. Losing them means you have no junior class (outside of TT, if he stays) and barely any sophomore class next year. Even with a few upper upper class men, you have nothing in the middle. So the next year you’re freshman and sophomore heavy…and thats year 4. Not good.

I think that the bad losses that add up make it more likely that he can't just stand pat with these guys thinking that they will improve and next year will be better. Right now the guys are showing that the gap is too big to be bridged with the current roster. An infusion of good guard play is crucial and I have to believe he sees that and realizes another year like this one could doom him -even though I still think they would give him 4-5 minimum. No doubt- this is the worst of our fears though.
It does remind me of John McKay with the Tamps Bucs. When he arrived, he said he had a five-year plan. Later he admitted that he only said that because he got a five-year contract. Something tells me that Ben said 4-5 years in hopes that he'd learn how to be a head coach on the job and figure out enough things that he'd be functional in time to win in that time frame. I doubt it was a plan the way we think of a plan.

To set the record straight, Ben did not inherit an empty roster. It was a full roster, all but one of whom bolted after he was hired. No reasonable person expected him to retain them all, but the exodus was shocking to me, and I've seen a lot of shit and am not easy to shock.
100%

Yeah. I don't think it's lack of effort. But I guess Beeg is referencing that he will be more aggressive getting veterans from the portal instead of relying on "wait until you see my toddlers in year 4". But I'm not convinced of that either.

Could you imaging Battle on a top 15ish team. He may take 5-7 shots a game. His neon green light is quickly eliminated. He would be a drastically different player. At the end of the day, our coaching staff should coach those garbage shots out of his system.
Ask Marcus Carr. A different environment makes you a different player.

Ben will not forget this game !!!
Rutgers will regret pressing with a huge lead sometime down the road .
He’ll be plotting his revenge when he’s the third assistant at a directional school in West Texas in a couple years.

We do too. Highly rated players coming in.
And a coach with ZERO track record of success virtually anyplace he’s played or coached at the college level. Pickiell had that track record when he took the Rutgers job, and that legitimacy got them through a rough couple years, knowing he had the pelts on the wall to find success. That’s legitimacy our guy has never had.

Top Bottom