***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT RUTGERS IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

The worst part is I really felt like they were gonna pull that off. I'm not sure I've seen a more poorly coached, executed, played final minute though

Go from a team that looks like they have a dang chance to challenge for a Big Ten title to a team that will finish in the bottom of the conference. That is just so deflating. Just tell everyone you have COVID and let’s end the season now. It will be easier on everyone that way

The worst part is I really felt like they were gonna pull that off.
Really? You're like Charlie Brown, really feeling like Lucy won't pull the football away this time.

It's Richard effing Pitino. Of COURSE they'll gag it away.

I've only been screaming "fire Pitino" at the top of my lungs for a couple years now.

Maybe someone will listen finally. Hes not B1G coach, never was, never will be.

End this pain, Coyle. Jeebus.
He’s accomplished nothing!!

Really? You're like Charlie Brown, really feeling like Lucy won't pull the football away this time.

It's Richard effing Pitino. Of COURSE they'll gag it away.
I have to watch the game and think they're going to win while watching. When the games over I accept the L and am ready to move on from Richard. It takes major effort to continue to convince myself that we can pull it out night in and night out. Especially when it always turns out as an L

I've only been screaming "fire Pitino" at the top of my lungs for a couple years now.

Can we send matches to Coyle's office or something?

For now, he also congratulated Biden at one point. So we’ll see if it sticks.
HAHA I thought the exact same thing. Beat Nebraska and beeg will be posting in the extend Pitino thread.

Their guys made plays. Rutgers coach had nothing to do with their closing stretch.
We put in Carr’s hands and he looked like somebody who forgot how to play. A lot of wtf?
What's the old saying, you cant fire all the players so you fire the............

Where is unregistered user?....Shouldn't he be telling me how horrible I am and how great Pitino is by now?🙄

This game was disappointing, feels as if we won about 4/5 of it. Really liked seeing contributions across the line up. Thought we were very patient looking for shots, sans end of game. Avoided chucking up threes when faced with difficultly. Johnson looks to have kicked in into another gear mentally, playing with tenacity and purpose. I can see Johnson as a crucial factor to the team going down the stretch if he continues to string these types of performances together.
-
Most noticeably during the end of the game there were a lot of ticky tack calls against us that became a drag on any momentum we had when breaking away with the lead. I won't blame the refs for our loss but I also do believe that if there weren't so many calls in the final 5 minutes of the game, we would have walked away with a W by 5-10. That said, our wheels can't simply fall off when faced with predictable adversity on the road e.g. calls not going our way. In particular, in the final 2 minutes, after a series of stoppages, our offense became completely discombobulated. This lead us to throwing the game away but also needs to be expected on the road and we cant let it get into our psyche when closing out a game.
-
I liked that we didn't have Carr take up the ball to take a buzzer shot at the end of the 1st half. I think this needs to happen more and it was perfectly highlighted by how much it buried us at the end in the 2nd half. I'm sure a ton on here are already shredding Carr for it but two things here. 1) I was shocked they didn't try and push the ball with 30 seconds left to go for a two. We were in the game still and that consigned us to a must-hit three. Completely unnecessary. 2) Carr should have realized he had no shot at some point way sooner and had a viable plan-b to go to (which would be more viable if he hadn't walked up the court).

I think Carr knows he really messed that one up. I hope that he learns from the mistake and doesn't do it again. Yes it's obvious he made a poor decision or two at the end. I'm not going to excoriate him or call for his transfer immediately. He's a kid. I think it'll be very apparent how dumb it looked on film. I'm still very optimistic about the team's play going forward and I'd rather we suffer from our stupid blunders now than experience them in the Big Ten or NCAA tournament.

I mean technically he is a big ten coach. And always will have been a big ten coach.

At the end of the game, when everyone knows Carr is going to jack one up, he's very easy to defend when he's dribbling the ball out front. He won't give it up, so you can double or triple team him. Give the ball up, run off some screens and then get it back. But you can't run the clock down to the ned to do that. Coaches have to be better, but players have to be smarter and EXECUTE.

Last two minutes were a microcosm of the Pitino era. Opportunities to win, but a combo of inept late game coaching combined with selfish and low IQ bball leads to a loss. We’ve given Pitino more than a fair shot and he just can’t get it done.

Also, I’ve always respected Pitino for sticking w Gabe, and I really don’t want to bash a hometown kid, but holy hell was Gabe brutal on both ends tonight.

Top Bottom