***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT RUTGERS IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

And how is your inbound ‘play’ a 20-30 foot backwards lob? No picks, no movement towards the basket. Just a mystery to me.
I know, right?

I remember watching the Gophers get an easy layup on an inbounds play from the baseline earlier this season and thinking "huh, 1st time in the Pitino era. And likely the last."

If there was another PG on the roster who Pitino trusted, then they could play Carr off the ball in those late-game situations and make it harder on the defense to match up.

Mashburn was advertised as a "combo" guard - meaning that he is theoretically supposed to be able to play some PG.

That would be my "late-game final play" lineup - Mashburn at PG and Carr at SG.

The "plenty of talent on this years roster" shot 10/41 (24.1%) last night. Outside of Carr/Robbins we dont really have "plenty of talent". Take out Rutgers top 2 scoring options in Harper and Young, the rest of Rutgers shot 21/35 (60%), we have far less talent than people think, and we couple that with a bad coach and these things happen. Carr does dumb thing sometimes, but his coach has 0 idea how to run anything on offense so that sometimes means he simply has no other option. It looks AWFUL at times but there are times it makes us look really good, but to pin it all on him is tough, Pitino simply has no way to put our guys in better spots.

Clem Haskins would have this team in the top 10 right now and in 2nd-3rd place in the conference.

Teams are double teaming him up top to make him get rid of the ball. Problem is hes not getting rid of the ball! If your saying Pitino called that play then I'm gonna say what play? Dribbling all over the place almost falling down twice and then chucking up an airball with a guy in his face? That's a play? I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just saying that I'm sure the play is carr driving lane and possibly dishing it off, but no way carr is giving ball up lol
Quote today in the Strib right from the horses..... um... MOUTH, yeah, that's it. Anyway, Pitino 'did' indeed call a play; and from what I've seen, is there 1 and only play to end games.

"We ran a play that won us a lot of games," Pitino said. "It's been good in the past. It wasn't good there. You've got to give the defense credit. I thought for 37½ minutes, we were terrific."

Last edited:

Quote today in the Strib right from the horses..... um... MOUTH, yeah, that's it. Anyway, Pitino 'did' indeed call a play; and from what I've seen, is there 1 and only play to end games.

"We ran a play that won us a lot of games," Pitino said. "It's been good in the past. It wasn't good there. You've got to give the defense credit. I thought for 37½ minutes, we were terrific."
I think both of these highlighted quotes (above) really sum up Pitino. Do you think other teams have seen this 1 play before? Maybe, like whenever the Gophers need points perhaps? He is facing other coaches who are so far superior in planning and strategizing than he is. He's getting outcoached in the beginning, after halftime and then to close out games, each time he steps on the court.

I'm not even going to touch the "I thought for 37½ minutes, we were terrific" part of the quote.

I think both of these highlighted quotes (above) really sum up Pitino. Do you think other teams have seen this 1 play before? Maybe, like whenever the Gophers need points perhaps? He is facing other coaches who are so far superior in planning and strategizing than he is. He's getting outcoached in the beginning, after halftime and then to close out games, each time he steps on the court.

I'm not even going to touch the "I thought for 37½ minutes, we were terrific" part of the quote.
What about the winning a lot of games comment ! When ?

Not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread but MC and DLo are playing the exact same style of late game hero ball and it's killing their teams. It's also going to cost both of their coaches their jobs.

Not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread but MC and DLo are playing the exact same style of late game hero ball and it's killing their teams. It's also going to cost both of their coaches their jobs.

Well neither of the coaches are really any good, so I guess maybe it's a blessing in disguise.

"Past performance is no guarantee of future results"

I don't know if I'd use the word terrific there

If there was another PG on the roster who Pitino trusted, then they could play Carr off the ball in those late-game situations and make it harder on the defense to match up.

Mashburn was advertised as a "combo" guard - meaning that he is theoretically supposed to be able to play some PG.

That would be my "late-game final play" lineup - Mashburn at PG and Carr at SG.

There is a guy that handled the ball, pass first PG, currently shooting about 50% from the three with a relatively high volume, wouldn't be required to create and score a lot, Pitino just couldn't keep him around or didn't want him.

There is a guy that handled the ball, pass first PG, currently shooting about 50% from the three with a relatively high volume, wouldn't be required to create and score a lot, Pitino just couldn't keep him around or didn't want him.

Are you referring to Greenlee?

Top Bottom