***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT OHIO STATE JAMISON BATTLE REVENGE IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

More of the same from last year last night. Get down big to start, fight back and look competitive but never actually catch up and lose.

How about he starts showing something on the defensive end? There's this notion he's a "lockdown defender."

He's not. He's been exposed in almost every game against superior competition (and D3 Macalester).

Being an active rebounder is lovely, but he can't be playing this many minutes in the Big Ten doing nothing else well.
Carrington played 12 minutes last night to Christie’s 27. Ben will make the move here shortly to the starting lineup, but it’s not like he’s buried on the bench.

Why should I? I don't care enough to take the time to think about it just to satisfy some message board loser who is deliberately being difficult for no reason.
You took the time to research the quantitative indexes but wont make a seasonal prediction.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I think most of us expected a loss. Another wire to wire B1G loss where we clearly weren't competitive is disheartening though. Bleed pointed out Ben is 2-23 in his last 25 conference games, but we also have to have spent an inordinate amount of game time in his tenure down double digits. This game was a 20 point deficit with like 15 minutes to go and that seems normal for a Ben Johnson Big Ten game.

I am sure people in this thread have posted these thoughts, but imagine where Ben would be if Dawson Garcia had more than one power 5 option for immediate eligibility? Also, not only did Kadyn Betts not cause Jamison Battle any problems he doesn't even play for a team that's still projected to finish at the bottom of the B1G. Ben said it was a tough decision to redshirt Betts last year, but he can't get run over the likes of Ihnen and Ola Joseph. I am not saying he will never be good, but this is 2 years he's tied up a scholarship now where he likely won't play.

San Francisco lost wire to wire against Arizona State tonight getting down by as many as 19 in the second half and losing by 11. Just another sign that things might be really ugly all year again.
I'm not sure this is totally fair. Garcia is a Gopher, plain and simple. You could play that what-if game with a number of players on a number of teams. What if Battle had stayed here? What if Chef Boyardee and Mrs. Baird had a baby?

Enough positives last night that I'm looking forward to Wednesday's game. That'll be a good measuring stick as to where this team is in the pecking order.

Last edited:

Ihnen needs to sit!!! I don't want to hear that he is long, a defensive person or can hit the corner 3!! He is not a Major D1 player. He takes bad shots and is a FLOATER!

Fox needs to play more. Payne needs to start.

Problem is we were sold a bag of goods saying that this is a deep team.....It is not at all. Our guard play is below average and as a team we are terrible from the 3.

Johnson swung and missed two years in a row with the portal. Betts is not ready, and probably never will be a Major D1 player.

We have no back up bigs behind Garcia and Payne. We have no shooter.

We have 15 D1 players per year in MN and we can't find anyone who can shoot the ball? Maybe just Maybe the athletic player type needs to switch to a player who can shoot the ball with some athleticism???

The evaluation of talent is just terrible

How do we let Nolan Winter leave, McAnderws leave, Frietag leave. How about Andrew Rhode kid who was at St Thomas last year and is starting at Virginia.

Nasir Whitlock would be a better point guard than what we have now.

People will say that these players didn't want to come to MN or they were not offered. Well..get a coach to get those players. Gotta open up the NIL checkbook and go get them.

Gotta make a change at the top.

Ihnen needs to sit!!! I don't want to hear that he is long, a defensive person or can hit the corner 3!! He is not a Major D1 player. He takes bad shots and is a FLOATER!

Problem is we were sold a bag of goods saying that this is a deep team.....It is not at all. Our guard play is below average and as a team we are terrible from the 3.

Johnson swung and missed two years in a row with the portal. Betts is not ready, and probably never will be a Major D1 player.

We have 15 D1 players per year in MN and we can't find anyone who can shoot the ball? Maybe just Maybe the athletic player type needs to switch to a player who can shoot the ball with some athleticism???

How do we let Nolan Winter leave, McAnderws leave, Frietag leave. How about Andrew Rhode kid who was at St Thomas last year and is starting at Virginia.

People will say that these players didn't want to come to MN or they were not offered. Well..get a coach to get those players. Gotta open up the NIL checkbook and go get them.

Literally anyone is better than what carrington is doing.

Rhode + Christie + a competent PG would be a good, long term backcourt, then you add Asuma next year (I like him as a SG) and we have some talent). Losing Garcia next year (most likely will happen) is going to be a massive hole that can’t be replaced with garbage Ben usually brings in. He will need to go to a small ball lineup at that point (hopefully it’s a new coach though). Also another piss poor showing should be cause for concern on Payne. What if he has a desire to play in the NCAA tourney? That isn’t happening here any time soon, especially if Garcia leaves after this year.

When is the Battle stopper going in? Need to see this supposed star CBJ talks about
What happened to Ben Johnson saying Ihnen going to be one of the best defenders in BT?

What happened to Ben Johnson saying Ihnen going to be one of the best defenders in BT?
What happened to Ben telling the star and tribune he was going to change up the starting lineup

Rhode + Christie + a competent PG would be a good, long term backcourt, then you add Asuma next year (I like him as a SG) and we have some talent).

What makes you think we had any chance of getting Andrew Rohde? Did it escape your attention that he went to Virginia? I don't know all of his offers last spring but he's from the upper midwest and probably could have gone to a quality program closer to home if he wanted that.

By the way, his numbers at VA are not that great so far this season. His Player Efficiency Rating is 9.2 and his Win Shares per 40 minutes number is only .094 (7th on the team for guys playing 100 minutes or more).

Last edited:

Christy appears to be a good shooter but other than that I largely agree. Ihnen should sit.

Garcia could only.transfer here if he wanted to play immediately.... It's not unfair to say Ben lucked out... Anyone what was the coach at MN woulda lucked out on the Garcia sweepsteaks... Jesus
I'm not sure this is totally fair. Garcia is a Gopher, plain and simple. You could play that what-if game with a number of players on a number of teams. What if Battle had stayed here? What if Chef Boyardee and Mrs. Baird had a baby?

Enough positives last night that I'm looking forward to Wednesday's game. That'll be a good measuring stick as to where this team is in the pecking order.

College basketball is guard driven if the program is to be successful. Period. MN needs to figure that out quickly, and Christie seems to be the only guy thus far that has the highest upside. He needs to be used situationally where he can succeed. Hawkins (upper classman) has to be primary ball handler, and temper his miscues.

Reasons for looking at the upside, as Torvik statistics indicate, MN (#111) will not face a higher ranked team than OSU (28) until Jan. 18 when they play the MSU Parolees (14), and then again on 2/6. Followed by PUR (1) on 2/15.

Opponents played makes a huge difference, but MN ranks top 70 in NCAA BB in the following (Rank of 362 NCAA schools). Regardless, the sample size indicates the trend:
Effective FG% (46) Eff FG% Defense (46)
Off. Reb (36)
2Pt% (19), 2Pt% Defense (27)
3PRate Defense (28)--teams only taking 3's 29.7% of shots
FreeThrowRate (70), but FTRDefense (49)--MN good at not fouling (despite refs vs OSU)
Asst. Rate (6)--66% of made baskets are assisted.

Other stats that need improvement:

Turnover Rate (277)--20.1% of possessions
Turnover Rate Defense (278)--Force only 15.7% turnovers on Defense
3PT% (173) and 3PT%Defense (176) are a wash at 33%made/given.

Clearly as the BTN season gauntlet progresses, these will change but the red/yellow flags are demonstrable. Don't turn the ball over, and shoot better....

Garcia could only.transfer here if he wanted to play immediately.... It's not unfair to say Ben lucked out... Anyone what was the coach at MN woulda lucked out on the Garcia sweepsteaks... Jesus
Well, it's the converse of making excuses for Tubby, Pitino and Johnson about their bad luck. Everyone gets plenty of both good luck and bad luck. It's the disingenuous rhetorical question, what if Johnson got all bad luck and no good luck? How bad would it be then?! Dumb question in my opinion.

What makes you think we had any chance of getting Andrew Rohde? Did it escape your attention that he went to Virginia? I don't know all of his offers last spring but he's from the upper midwest and probably could have gone to a quality program closer to home if he wanted that.

By the way, his numbers at VA are not that great so far this season. His Player Efficiency Rating is 9.2 and his Win Shares per 40 minutes number is only .094 (7th on the team for guys playing 100 minutes or more).
I would take Rohde over any guards/wing we have ...no questions asked.

Rhode + Christie + a competent PG would be a good, long term backcourt, then you add Asuma next year (I like him as a SG) and we have some talent). Losing Garcia next year (most likely will happen) is going to be a massive hole that can’t be replaced with garbage Ben usually brings in. He will need to go to a small ball lineup at that point (hopefully it’s a new coach though). Also another piss poor showing should be cause for concern on Payne. What if he has a desire to play in the NCAA tourney? That isn’t happening here any time soon, especially if Garcia leaves after this year.
From Wi.

Carrington played 12 minutes last night to Christie’s 27. Ben will make the move here shortly to the starting lineup, but it’s not like he’s buried on the bench.
They need Carrington to start being productive offensively. He's physical enough to guard the big guards but you can't have a big hole in your offense.

So far the guards have proven they are not ready for power 5 conference play...and it's doubtful they ever will be. They are turning over machined, haven't shown they can shoot or defend. That being said they are what they got unless they can develop a Coffey type forward/guard.

So far the guards have proven they are not ready for power 5 conference play...and it's doubtful they ever will be. They are turning over machined, haven't shown they can shoot or defend. That being said they are what they got unless they can develop a Coffey type forward/guard.
Per the Star Tribune, Ben is proud of how well he's recruited the guard position....

The bar is so low for Ben Johnson just getting to 4 conference wins in year 3 will be considered good enough to earn a fourth year.
Yeah it's just dumb where this program is right now.

It was 5 on 8 as well because refs hate the Gophers… I know two local D1 refs off the record they say they get a memo each year from the NCAA that it’s ok to screw the Gophers… so there is that..

Well, once again, what makes you think we could have gotten him?

Hell, as long as your pining after a player we didn't get why don't you go even bigger? I think I'd like Max Abmas over any guard we have here.

This is worse than the worst Monson teams. Ihnen is this year's version of Konate. He looks like a player but he can't play. Carrington is this year's version of Konate. He looks like a player, but he can't play. Hawkins gets the team to about the same place as last year's pg's. He's quick; they were slow. He makes mistakes; they lacked talent. They had size but couldn't stay with their man. He can keep up with anybody, but lacks size.

The minutes need to go to Garcia, Payne, JOJ, Christie, Betts (development), Hawkins and Mitchell.

Holy negative Nelly.

I bet you don't make many motivational speeches

Well, once again, what makes you think we could have gotten him?

Hell, as long as your pining after a player we didn't get why don't you go even bigger? I think I'd like Max Abmas over any guard we have here.
My point is that there is ample talent in and around this state to WIN! I know that many local kids which play D1 basketball have not even got a look from the Gophers. Albeit I am not sure about Rohde, but am pretty abreast to the local HS BBall scene and know that very few offers are given out to local kids and a lot of these same kids are getting high major offers. Just doesn't make sense IMO!

We had a kid in our back yard at a mid major and we heard nothing about him until he is gone??

Things need to change...

1) Who cares about the starting lineup right now? Payne played 31 minutes last night and Christie played 27. That's what you should worry about. This obsession over the starting lineup is weird on this site. Minutes and who ends the game is what matters.

2) Refs are not out to get the Gophers.

3) Comparing Konate to any player on this team is completely ridiculous.

4) I've seen enough of Ohio State this year to see that they are a pretty good team. That backcourt is top 3 in the Big Ten and will give every team problems.

Hats off to Garcia last night. Carried the team on his back.

Top Bottom