***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT OHIO STATE JAMISON BATTLE REVENGE IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

1) Who cares about the starting lineup right now? Payne played 31 minutes last night and Christie played 27. That's what you should worry about. This obsession over the starting lineup is weird on this site. Minutes and who ends the game is what matters.

2) Refs are not out to get the Gophers.

3) Comparing Konate to any player on this team is completely ridiculous.

4) I've seen enough of Ohio State this year to see that they are a pretty good team. That backcourt is top 3 in the Big Ten and will give every team problems.

Hats off to Garcia last night. Carried the team on his back.

Because in the last two games we've played actual competition, we've started in a massive hole due to incompetence by the starting lineup and only clawed back into the game with Christie and Payne on the court (and some Mitchell).

Carrington played 12 minutes last night to Christie’s 27. Ben will make the move here shortly to the starting lineup, but it’s not like he’s buried on the bench.
We were out rebounded last night for the first time this year, largely due to Carrington playing 12 minutes.

TD12 said:
How about Andrew Rhode kid who was at St Thomas last year and is starting at Virginia.
Better question is how did Wisconsin let Rhode get away. He is way more of a Wisky kid than Minnesota, wonder how much NIL had to do with it. Winter was unfortunate no doubt. Maytag was a choice.

Last edited:

1) Who cares about the starting lineup right now? Payne played 31 minutes last night and Christie played 27. That's what you should worry about. This obsession over the starting lineup is weird on this site. Minutes and who ends the game is what matters.

4) I've seen enough of Ohio State this year to see that they are a pretty good team. That backcourt is top 3 in the Big Ten and will give every team problems.

1) I would reply that Payne's 31 minutes and Christie's 27 were not enough against OSU. In the first 5 minutes and 23 seconds of the game we were outscored 14-2. In the first 4 minutes and 2 seconds of the second half, we were outscored 9-6 (definitely better than the first half anyway). For the remaining roughly 30.5 minutes of the game, we outscored OSU by 5 points.

2) Agreed. Bitching about refs seems to be an obsession for some posting here although I thought there was less of that last night than usual in the game thread (certainly less than on the football board).

3) There is not a direct comparable to Konate among the top 9 players on the team although I would say that Konate provided more as a backup to Lynch because of his sheer size than Ihnen is providing right now.

4) I also have a fairly high opinion of Ohio State. I think Thornton and Gayle could be the best backcourt in the league. Thornton is #2 in the conference in both Player Efficiency Rating and Win Shares per 40 minutes (runner up to Zach Edey in both). Gayle is 7th in the league in True Shooting Percentage and 3rd in Effective Field Goal Percentage; he's also 8th in assists per game (Thornton is 4th). They're definitely a guard driven team but frontcourt players Key and Okpara certainly help them.

Last edited:

The first 5 minutes had a big bearing on that game. The starting lineup matters

Better question is how did Wisconsin let Rhode get away. He is way more of a Wisky kid than Minnesota, wonder how much NIL had to do with it. Winter was unfortunate no doubt. Maytag was a choice.
How is Rohde more of a Wisky kid than MN?

This is worse than the worst Monson teams. Ihnen is this year's version of Konate. He looks like a player but he can't play. Carrington is this year's version of Konate. He looks like a player, but he can't play. Hawkins gets the team to about the same place as last year's pg's. He's quick; they were slow. He makes mistakes; they lacked talent. They had size but couldn't stay with their man. He can keep up with anybody, but lacks size.

The minutes need to go to Garcia, Payne, JOJ, Christie, Betts (development), Hawkins and Mitchell.
So who is the real this year's Konate?

They are nowhere near as bad as Konate. He is perhaps the worst starting B10 center in the history of history

The first 5 minutes had a big bearing on that game. The starting lineup matters
Agree 100%.

I have no idea why Payne and Christie don't join Garcia in the starting lineup. The Gophers have 3 sure-fire legit Big Ten-caliber talents, and we need to have all 3 starting. Gophers aren't good enough to spot teams a double-digit lead. Makes no sense.

We were out rebounded last night for the first time this year, largely due to Carrington playing 12 minutes.
Well that and playing a team that wasn't one of the sisters of the poor.

Agree 100%.

I have no idea why Payne and Christie don't join Garcia in the starting lineup. The Gophers have 3 sure-fire legit Big Ten-caliber talents, and we need to have all 3 starting. Gophers aren't good enough to spot teams a double-digit lead. Makes no sense.
Not only that, but in the era of recruiting your own players, why are you leaving the two most important players to your future on the bench?

Agree 100%.

Not only that, but in the era of recruiting your own players, why are you leaving the two most important players to your future on the bench?

He just cannot get it into his brain. It’s just baffling.

He’s tricking the other team.

What makes you think we had any chance of getting Andrew Rohde? Did it escape your attention that he went to Virginia? I don't know all of his offers last spring but he's from the upper midwest and probably could have gone to a quality program closer to home if he wanted that.

By the way, his numbers at VA are not that great so far this season. His Player Efficiency Rating is 9.2 and his Win Shares per 40 minutes number is only .094 (7th on the team for guys playing 100 minutes or more).
I was responding to a previous poster. Even if the gophers offered, why would he have come here with what I assume was a bunch of offers. VA is a great program. He will be good there.

Well, once again, what makes you think we could have gotten him?

Hell, as long as your pining after a player we didn't get why don't you go even bigger? I think I'd like Max Abmas over any guard we have here.
He wasn’t playing 2 miles away from the gophers for 1 year as an under recruited guy…get a realistic example…oh wait…Rhode is the only example - I’d also rather have Kendall Blue than Carrington as he is bigger and probably more athletic…

So who is the real this year's Konate?

They are nowhere near as bad as Konate. He is perhaps the worst starting B10 center in the history of history
It's a tie.

They probably aren't quite as bad as Konate but they are quite similar in that they look like D1 basketball players who can't play at anywhere near a D1 level.

He just cannot get it into his brain. It’s just baffling.
Christie makes some sense for a few more games. He’s a very confident freshman. Doesn’t hurt to keep him grounded while he matures. Payne is a stupid decision because our track record is slow start and get in an early hole.

Yeah have you missed the starts to the game against Ohio State, San Francisco. Starting down 14-2 matters a lot. Terrible take.

Last edited:

1) I would reply that Payne's 31 minutes and Christie's 27 were not enough against OSU. In the first 5 minutes and 23 seconds of the game we were outscored 14-2. In the first 4 minutes and 2 seconds of the second half, we were outscored 9-6 (definitely better than the first half anyway). For the remaining roughly 30.5 minutes of the game, we outscored OSU by 5 points.

2) Agreed. Bitching about refs seems to be an obsession for some posting here although I thought there was less of that last night than usual in the game thread (certainly less than on the football board).

3) There is not a direct comparable to Konate among the top 9 players on the team although I would say that Konate provided more as a backup to Lynch because of his sheer size than Ihnen is providing right now.

4) I also have a fairly high opinion of Ohio State. I think Thornton and Gayle could be the best backcourt in the league. Thornton is #2 in the conference in both Player Efficiency Rating and Win Shares per 40 minutes (runner up to Zach Edey in both). Gayle is 7th in the league in True Shooting Percentage and 3rd in Effective Field Goal Percentage; he's also 8th in assists per game (Thornton is 4th). They're definitely a guard driven team but frontcourt players Key and Okpara certainly help them.
You have a fairly high opinion of osu? Just not high enough to make a prediction. Without all your data.
Fraud.

It's a tie.

They probably aren't quite as bad as Konate but they are quite similar in that they look like D1 basketball players who can't play at anywhere near a D1 level.
Konate had one redeeming season. 5.1 rebounds, 4.8 points. Ihnen has been awful minus UTSA he has gone 36 minutes the last 3 games 0 points, 3 rebounds 1 assist. He is our worst defensive player as well. He needs to be completely out of the roatation. He was really bad before the injury, feel for the kid he battle backed but he just does not have it.

Agree 100%.

Having a big of Garcias caliber, and then CHOOSING to sit a smooth shooting kid in Christie and a monster in PP to begin games is literally maddening.

Is he trying to lose games? You can't afford to get behind. To anyone.

Carrington disappears a lot. A lot.

He wasn’t playing 2 miles away from the gophers for 1 year as an under recruited guy…get a realistic example…oh wait…Rhode is the only example - I’d also rather have Kendall Blue than Carrington as he is bigger and probably more athletic…

He wasn't underrecruited as a transfer. I agree we probably could not have gotten him to commit here even if we offered and our proximity obviously wasn't an advantage given his eventual destination. In fact, given that he could read all about us while reading about his own team in the local paper, our proximity was more of a disadvantage.

He probably was underrecruited as a high schooler but there are plenty of guys across the country like that. If you're a P6 program, you normally don't recruit those as incoming freshmen.

You have a fairly high opinion of osu? Just not high enough to make a prediction. Without all your data.
Fraud.

You don't give a rat's ass about any projection that I would give and I don't give a rat's ass about making a season projection for OSU so what is your point? You're just being intentionally annoying.

I won't predict their record but, barring significant injuries, I'll say that they're a likely NCAA tournament team.

You don't give a rat's ass about any projection that I would give and I don't give a rat's ass about making a season projection for OSU so what is your point? You're just being intentionally annoying.

I won't predict their record but, barring significant injuries, I'll say that they're a likely NCAA tournament team.
Fraud.

Top Bottom