***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT OHIO STATE IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

People seem to keep forgetting that not only do we have a new roster but we also lost two potential starters before the season even started.
Would Garcia be able to use the hardship waiver if he's back here for family reasons? I mean....he played maybe half a season with NC?

Our front court could jump front a major weakness to a big strength next year with Ihnen and Fox back. Thompson developing a full year. Possibly getting Curry to return. Garcia potentially.

And then I would assume that Ben Johnson is already scouting for a couple of transfer guards. Next season could be a significant step up if things come together.
The front court could be alot better next year,wouldn't take much,and still not be very good compared to other Big Ten teams.

OK, now I'm mad.

The Gophers play PSU at 3pm on Thursday.

So what happens - the Vikings schedule the press conference with their new Head Coach for 4pm on Thursday.

Just another example of the Vikes' attitude that "we own the Twin Cities" and not giving a bleep about anything else.

And let's be honest - the timing is deliberate. the Vikes want all the TV stations to open their local newscasts with the new Head Coach.

Outside of the Gophers' beat writer for the Strib, there will not be a single media member paying any attention to the Gopher game.

OK, now I'm mad.

So what happens - the Vikings schedule the press conference with their new Head Coach for 4pm on Thursday.

Just another example of the Vikes' attitude that "we own the Twin Cities" and not giving a bleep about anything else.

And let's be honest - the timing is deliberate. the Vikes want all the TV stations to open their local newscasts with the new Head Coach.

Outside of the Gophers' beat writer for the Strib, there will not be a single media member paying any attention to the Gopher game.

Why would the Vikings schedule around a team that's 3-11 in the B1G playing a road makeup game against another bottom dwelling B1G team? Outside of a few diehards, most people won't care about the Gophers game.

OK, now I'm mad.

Not sure if this is sarcasm, but no local media except the beat writers were going to be paying attention to the game either way. Yes, the timing is to get on the 6 PM news, but I assure you the Vikings did not consult the Gophers schedule when determining this.

I’m struggling with why people don’t think we will be at least able to get guards backcourt help at the level we got this year next season. We got who we got on a short time window, filling 8 roster spots, and while trying to build a 2022 recruiting class. We’ve already built relationships with 2023 recruits and can be a lot more targeted and early in the portal. We also will have depth with Carrington and Payne for sure. They both will be able to contribute next year. It’s fine to be upset with loses, but to act like we can’t find the same level of guards at minimum is crazy to me.

Let me first say that I hate losses as much if not more so than anyone on the Hole. I have been following the Gophers passionately since the 1982 Big 10 championship. My wife hates me for a couple of hours after every loss as I am not a pleasant person to be around. I am gutted and dissect every aspect of the game and missed opportunities. I am SO ready to have some more success so I can keep my marriage afloat!!

But I get over the losses and move on. I think the keys are perspective, objectivity, and being realistic. There is absolutely no way that this team should have over 10 wins like they already do. It's as ludicrous as my middle aged self hobbling onto an NBA court and trying to guard the worst PG in the league over the entire history of the NBA. I have no doubt that the most brilliant coaching minds in the business could not do much better with this group of players than what this staff has done.

I know that the odds are stacked against this team every time they jog out onto the court this year. I know that any win in conference this year relies on the most remote chance that all of the planets align perfectly. That they have 3 wins and have only lost by more than 15 pts twice is absolutely stunning when you remember the odds that this team has been up against

Is it about wins/losses? What were your expectations when the season started in November? Did you expect a certain number of wins? Has the team achieved that number?

Or maybe your goal was simply not to be embarrassed. Has this 12-11 team embarrassed you? Are they the laughingstock of college basketball or even the conference? Do you think that other Big 10 teams laugh at this team like teams used to when they played Northwestern?

There are no mid season trades available in college sports. You play with what you got. And if half of your team breaks both legs and one arm, you can't call players up from the minors. Fans have to look at the picture realistically and assess their perspective as new data becomes available.

It is perfectly fine if some want to be upset at a 12-11 team. No one is saying that they are not free to think as they wish. I am merely curious what characteristics this team has that lead them to think that this squad is underachieving and how this team can be improved with this year's roster. If you can't articulate that, then there is little value in being negative. If there are no ideas for addressing the deficiencies of this team in season, the chatter is just noise.

I see an overachieving 3-11 team. Some apparently see an abject failure. Looking at the grueling schedule ahead, I believe this team will be lucky to win 1 more game. That is how confident I am in this roster. They will have a chance but they need to be near perfect to win against even the bottom teams in the conference.

As we saw in Lincoln, this team is outgunned in the personnel department from the start. They have little margin of error. Their only chance for a win is for the coaches to come up with a hell of a game plan, hope that the players can execute it on both ends of the court, hope that the shots are falling for us and not them, and hope that the coaches on the other team can't make adjustments. Is that too much to ask?!

I’m struggling with why people don’t think we will be at least able to get guards backcourt help at the level we got this year next season. We got who we got on a short time window, filling 8 roster spots, and while trying to build a 2022 recruiting class. We’ve already built relationships with 2023 recruits and can be a lot more targeted and early in the portal. We also will have depth with Carrington and Payne for sure. They both will be able to contribute next year. It’s fine to be upset with loses, but to act like we can’t find the same level of guards at minimum is crazy to me.
I'm not doubting Ben can make it happen, but until it does happen we've got what we got. Sounds like he is in a good spot with 2023 which is encouraging. 2022 class is nice too.

I'm just waiting on who those portal guys could be to boost us in the short term. Hopefully he finds better than this year with all of the time he has. I do think there's the potential for him to get a couple really nice players.

I'm not doubting Ben can make it happen, but until it does happen we've got what we got. Sounds like he is in a good spot with 2023 which is encouraging. 2022 class is nice too.

I'm just waiting on who those portal guys could be to boost us in the short term. Hopefully he finds better than this year with all of the time he has. I do think there's the potential for him to get a couple really nice players.
Yeah I'm excited to see what we end up with too. I wasn't as down about what we got this year as many were because of the circumstances. I get why others are concerned. I was saddened more by our effort last night than anything.

Let me first say that I hate losses as much if not more so than anyone on the Hole. I have been following the Gophers passionately since the 1982 Big 10 championship. My wife hates me for a couple of hours after every loss as I am not a pleasant person to be around. I am gutted and dissect every aspect of the game and missed opportunities. I am SO ready to have some more success so I can keep my marriage afloat!!

But I get over the losses and move on. I think the keys are perspective, objectivity, and being realistic. There is absolutely no way that this team should have over 10 wins like they already do. It's as ludicrous as my middle aged self hobbling onto an NBA court and trying to guard the worst PG in the league over the entire history of the NBA. I have no doubt that the most brilliant coaching minds in the business could not do much better with this group of players than what this staff has done.

I know that the odds are stacked against this team every time they jog out onto the court this year. I know that any win in conference this year relies on the most remote chance that all of the planets align perfectly. That they have 3 wins and have only lost by more than 15 pts twice is absolutely stunning when you remember the odds that this team has been up against

Is it about wins/losses? What were your expectations when the season started in November? Did you expect a certain number of wins? Has the team achieved that number?

Or maybe your goal was simply not to be embarrassed. Has this 12-11 team embarrassed you? Are they the laughingstock of college basketball or even the conference? Do you think that other Big 10 teams laugh at this team like teams used to when they played Northwestern?

There are no mid season trades available in college sports. You play with what you got. And if half of your team breaks both legs and one arm, you can't call players up from the minors. Fans have to look at the picture realistically and assess their perspective as new data becomes available.

It is perfectly fine if some want to be upset at a 12-11 team. No one is saying that they are not free to think as they wish. I am merely curious what characteristics this team has that lead them to think that this squad is underachieving and how this team can be improved with this year's roster. If you can't articulate that, then there is little value in being negative. If there are no ideas for addressing the deficiencies of this team in season, the chatter is just noise.

I see an overachieving 3-11 team. Some apparently see an abject failure. Looking at the grueling schedule ahead, I believe this team will be lucky to win 1 more game. That is how confident I am in this roster. They will have a chance but they need to be near perfect to win against even the bottom teams in the conference.

As we saw in Lincoln, this team is outgunned in the personnel department from the start. They have little margin of error. Their only chance for a win is for the coaches to come up with a hell of a game plan, hope that the players can execute it on both ends of the court, hope that the shots are falling for us and not them, and hope that the coaches on the other team can't make adjustments. Is that too much to ask?!
Yeah I like how when you are able to see the process and focus on that, people assume you are ok and tolerate losing. I've lost a bunch already and I just want to see a coach build it right. So far I'm ok with what this staff is building. If it means I suffer through this year with losses then so be it. Honestly though, besides a few performances, I like you think this team has overachieved. I enjoy watching them move the basketball and enjoy seeing our defensive positioning be better than it has for quite some time. I like that right now I'm only worried about Ben getting talent vs. what I worried about with some of the other flaws our last three staffs.

These rebuilds just can't move quick enough. Hopefully we're better next year. Portal man...

Don't think its gonna be pretty if we're going with Carrington, Thiam and Henley as the guards/ball handlers next year.
Thiam won't be here. He has no future in the Big Ten.

I never cease to be amazed at how quickly some fans want to write a player off just because they don't make an impact right away.

Some freshman come to college ready to make an immediate impact, many more need some time to adjust to the college game before they reach their potential.

Look at Peyton Willis. He did very little at Vandy, and was just ok in his first go around with the Gophers.

See it some with football but much more so with basketball, there is this idea some have that if a kid can't be a star right away that means they are a bust. There is no doubt that Thiam has had a rough season. But it is far too early to close the book on him.
Difference is in football you can wait three years for a guy to grow, develop, then contribute. That happens rarely now in basketball because you have only five guys on the floor and higher potential freshmen will come in and surpass him.

Ben won't waste any time on Thiam and for his own fulfillment he should transfer to a level where he could play.

I can't comment for everyone, but for me, I just have trouble accepting loses. I absolutely hate it. I just will never be ok with "well hey its ok we know we are going to suck so if we win hey thats a cool bonus!" its just something I cannot understand. I'm not dumb, I understand we had a lot of player movement and a new coach, I dont think we should be a top 5 team with national championship aspirations this year. By the same token, I just dont feel like calling this season a success when we are 3-11 in conference and have had a few really really bad performances of late. And yes I was/am critical of the Johnson hire, i feel that is totally justified. Doesnt mean I said he has 0 shot to succeed or hasnt done good things, he has, and I said as much on here. It also should be acceptable to be a little annoyed when we get beat soundly by a Nebraska team that had 0 conference wins coming in or when we play a really good 1st half last night and then OSU just blows our doors off in the 2nd half and we look like a D2 team.

That has been and I think always will be the divide here, each side calls the other side "trolls" which I dont think is the case, its just a different rationale. There are people who have genuinely enjoyed this year and are excited with a close lose at say Wisc. I dont hate on anyone for that, its just not my thing, we lost, I could care less if we shot 1-40 and won, for me its about W and L. I apparently have angered some because i am upset we are 3-11 in conference, sorry i will never be happy my team goes 3-11 in conference, i dont care what the team looks like to start the year.
We don't draft players based on last year's record. There is no parity in college basketball. Once in awhile in weird circumstances you find yourself without the talent and depth needed to win.

Some fans can realize that and look for things to like, such as the occasional unexpected upset. Yes, any time we win a conference game it is an upset.

And we respect supreme effort. We appreciate that these guys don't quit and really want to win.

When I look at how these guys fight to win I liken it to a Big Ten football team that finds itself, for whatever odd reason, starting 225 pound defensive tackles and 190 pound linebackers. They can play their hearts out but each week the physical beating becomes more overwhelming.

Ben's guys are taking a real physical beating yet they are out their working 38 minutes a game. I don't care when they lose but I love it when they win. This is a special team.

I mean, I hear you, but we are 3-11 in conference. The goal is to get better not repeat.

OK, now I'm mad.

The only people who care about Gopher basketball right now are a few weirdos like us.

Yeah the mentality of "I'm sick of the previous coach's results, therefore I expect big things from the new coach right away" is one I don't think I've seen for any other football or basketball coaching hire in the decade plus that I've been on this board.
Have you been on the Nebraska or Georgetown board?

I mean, I hear you, but we are 3-11 in conference. The goal is to get better not repeat.
I get your point, but what you’d be adding those three would also be better. If we had Fox or Ihnen this year, this team has 5 wins right now at least imo. Allowing Stephens to be a 6th man and Suetherlin being the second wing off the bench. We can defend differently when we can afford to have guys get fouls. I’m not saying adding three of that quality is good enough to win the conference, but it’s good enough to move us into the 8-10 spot in the conference next year.

Why would the Vikings schedule around a team that's 3-11 in the B1G playing a road makeup game against another bottom dwelling B1G team? Outside of a few diehards, most people won't care about the Gophers game.
I care more about the gophers and college sports than the dumb Vikings. Pro sports are way overrated and phony.

I get your point, but what you’d be adding those three would also be better. If we had Fox or Ihnen this year, this team has 5 wins right now at least imo. Allowing Stephens to be a 6th man and Suetherlin being the second wing off the bench. We can defend differently when we can afford to have guys get fouls. I’m not saying adding three of that quality is good enough to win the conference, but it’s good enough to move us into the 8-10 spot in the conference next year.
Based on what we have seen from the other guys I feel very confident in saying that with a healthy Fox and Ihnen this is a middle of the pack Big Ten team and most likely a bubble team for the NCAA tournament this year. Size and depth are the biggest problems this team has right now and those two would have directly addressed both of those problems.

Based on what we have seen from the other guys I feel very confident in saying that with a healthy Fox and Ihnen this is a middle of the pack Big Ten team and most likely a bubble team for the NCAA tournament this year. Size and depth are the biggest problems this team has right now and those two would have directly addressed both of those problems.
How would II and PF's size addressed this issue while battling Edey, Trevion, Kofi, etc? Neither are built to battle the true "bigs". Height, yes, somewhat. However, I have been told TT needs lbs. II isn't much heavier.

II 220 / Fox 230.

Daniels gets abused at 230.

How would II and PF's size addressed this issue while battling Edey, Trevion, Kofi, etc? Neither are built to battle the true "bigs". Height, yes, somewhat. However, I have been told TT needs lbs. II isn't much heavier.

II 220 / Fox 230.

Daniels gets abused at 230.
2 extra bodies to work against the big men on other teams, keep guys fresh, allow them to be more aggressive due to less concern about fouls, fewer minutes for Curry and Daniels.....

Obviously we don't know exactly how Fox's game is going to translate to the Big Ten but he was very good at his last stop and was a defensive player of the year so it would seem logical that he could help us out on that front.

Do you not think TT needs to add lbs? Because the people telling you that are correct. Thompson is very skinny and needs to bulk up some in order to compete down low in the Big Ten.

I'm going to assume you know there is a far bigger difference between 6'9" - 220 and 7'0" - 210 than just 10 lbs.

As for Daniels, he has the size to battle but is lacking in the skill department. But given our lack of available size we need to play him as much as we do.

2 extra bodies to work against the big men on other teams, keep guys fresh, allow them to be more aggressive due to less concern about fouls, fewer minutes for Curry and Daniels.....

Obviously we don't know exactly how Fox's game is going to translate to the Big Ten but he was very good at his last stop and was a defensive player of the year so it would seem logical that he could help us out on that front.

Do you not think TT needs to add lbs? Because the people telling you that are correct. Thompson is very skinny and needs to bulk up some in order to compete down low in the Big Ten.

I'm going to assume you know there is a far bigger difference between 6'9" - 220 and 7'0" - 210 than just 10 lbs.

As for Daniels, he has the size to battle but is lacking in the skill department. But given our lack of available size we need to play him as much as we do.
Two more players is nice, their performance is what matters, no? Daniels as an example. A body, yes. I am hopeful regarding Fox however it remains to be seen if his success transfers. Sure hope so.

Of course TT needs to add SOME muscle weight. Good grief. Needs to keep the ability to move well.

"I'm going to assume you know there is a far bigger difference between 6'9" - 220 and 7'0" - 210 than just 10 lbs." And there is a far bigger difference in other tangible areas as well. See Rodman, Dennis.

OK, now I'm mad.

Not sure if serious

Yes, I was being tongue-in-cheek on the post about the Vikes' press conference.

On Fox and Ihnen - the biggest thing they would add is some athleticism to the Gophers' lineup. If Fox is healthy, he can jump out of the gym. Ihnen is also athletic- but needs some refinements as a basketball player.

at the very least, it would mean two more people in the rotation, and give the coaches an opportunity to look at different match-ups.

having two more guys who can play certainly wouldn't hurt.

Top Bottom