***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT NORTHWESTERN IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

least unhappy I’ve ever been post-loss. team not abjectly gassed to win by 1 point. no injuries. refs felt amusing rather than infuriating.

likely 8-9 matchups struck me as risky games. If 10 seed obtains we get a shot at railing off 3-4 straight Quad 1 wins in winnable games considering B10 non-home records this year, I’ll take it.
My guess is that you won't be so happy next game. When you play like this repeatedly it doesn't bode well for the next game. This game was shameful- a really terrible display on the defensive end and once again it looked like one team had a coach designing something while the other did not.

My guess is that you won't be so happy next game. When you play like this repeatedly it doesn't bode well for the next game. This game was shameful- a really terrible display on the defensive end and once again it looked like one team had a coach designing something while the other did not.
Collin's schooled cbj tonight.

Successfully moved to the #10 seed. Ignore this game as long as they don't flop in the tournament -- that could happen based on tonight.

Christie was a disaster tonight.

The defense was overrun...

Good shooting from Garcia. That's not enough.

Successfully moved to the #10 seed. Ignore this game as long as they don't flop in the tournament -- that could happen based on tonight.

Christie was a disaster tonight.

The defense was overrun...

Good shooting from Garcia. That's not enough.

Only if Ohio State beats Rutgers.

Also, this whole 9/10 seed is such a bunch of shit anyway.

I don’t think it’s stubborn. I think he has no clue what he is doing. Someone needs to tell him when to make moves. These ideas do not come to Ben Johnson.
I agree. He seems to just be totally unaware of what is happening at times. I was really starting to get hopeful that he was learning and capable of getting this team to build an identity. The last 5 games have been disgusting, really even the incredible Penn State comeback. They haven't held a team under 70 points since MSU ten games ago. In the last 9 games they are giving up a whopping 81 points per game. Just dismal effort.

At some point they started to envision themselves just outscoring other teams instead of out working them. Interesting side note- Garcia has now scored 30 in three games and we lost them all.

Last edited:

Boo is a great player. This year had some of the better guards in the league in recent years.
Not a great game today and definitely the defense needs serious work. When a guard gets penetration like great guards sometimes do, the rotation and help defense is really bad. If Carrington can grow into a shutdown defender going into next year that would make a huge difference. Eric Harris and John Thomas should come in to coach some defense and toughness.

I don't see how anything short of winning the BTT keeps Ben from getting fired. The efforts of the last two games show he has lost the team and he is over his head coaching wise.
He’s going to take a “long look” and see what the team needs to do.

I don't see how anything short of winning the BTT keeps Ben from getting fired. The efforts of the last two games show he has lost the team and he is over his head coaching wise.
He's not getting fired. Coyle already gave the situation his stamp of approval the other day.

I doubt Coyle has the stones for it. But I think the odds of all five starters coming back now is about 5%, which means we're likely to be worse next year. The ending still feels inevitable. Just a question of how long we wait for it.

He's not getting fired. Coyle already gave the situation his stamp of approval the other day.
If Musselman somehow becomes available, he better damn well at least make a phone call.

Well I recorded this one to watch after the state hockey championship. Gave me about 2 minutes of entertainment before you could tell how this one was going to end.

Terrible effort again. The defense has been absolutely brutal the last half of the conference schedule.

Ben Johnson: We'll really look hard, look at the film, to figure it out. We have to get consecutive stops. We can't exchange shots. They were really hitting it from various location -- I'm paraphrasing. Martinelli, Barnhizer played so well. Bouie is Bouie.

Announcer: Minnesota's season came up short, but a transition season. "If players come back, could be a really dangerous basketball team."

2nd Announcer: Ben Johnson's done a terrific job as a coach. It's been a complete turnaround. There's so many talented players now. If they come back, they are going to be a terrific factor in the Big Ten.

3rd Announcer: Johnson has done a terrific job this season. He got them to commit to what they're doing. They started to play hard for their coach.

Announcer #1: Let's not rule them out in the tournament. They prefer to be a #10 seed.

Ben Johnson: We'll really look hard, look at the film, to figure it out. We have to get consecutive stops. We can't exchange shots. They were really hitting it from various location -- I'm paraphrasing. Martinelli, Barnhizer played so well. Bouie is Bouie.

Announcer: Minnesota's season came up short, but a transition season. "If players come back, could be a really dangerous basketball team."

2nd Announcer: Ben Johnson's done a terrific job as a coach. It's been a complete turnaround. There's so many talented players now. If they come back, they are going to be a terrific factor in the Big Ten.

3rd Announcer: Johnson has done a terrific job this season. He got them to commit to what they're doing. They started to play hard for their coach.

Announcer #1: Let's not rule them out in the tournament. They prefer to be a #10 seed.
You are weird.

No chance Garcia comes back next year after this late season meltdown.
I might be ok with that. I know, he has terrific offensive skills. Something about him just doesn't add up to winning. In Big Ten games where he scored over 30.. 0-3. In Big Ten games he scored over 20....3-6. In Big Ten games he scored under 10....2-0. I don't get it but it concerns me.

Read between the lines.

-They are saying the season came up short. The tone was their season is over.

-And then everything else they say is about NEXT season. They will be good next time.

-Unfortunately, it's like giving their obituary for this season, if you read between the lines. It's a wrap.

-But praise for next time.

Read between the lines.

-They are saying the season came up short. The tone was their season is over.

-And then everything else they say is about NEXT season. They will be good next time.

-Unfortunately, it's like giving their obituary for this season, if you read between the lines. It's a wrap.

-But praise for next time.
Seriously. WTF? Is this a robot or something?

I might be ok with that. I know, he has terrific offensive skills. Something about him just doesn't add up to winning. In Big Ten games where he scored over 30.. 0-3. In Big Ten games he scored over 20....3-6. In Big Ten games he scored under 10....2-0. I don't get it but it concerns me.
I was just wondering his average in wins vs. losses. If I did my math right averages 20+ in losses and 14+ in wins.

I was just wondering his average in wins vs. losses. If I did my math right averages 20+ in losses and 14+ in wins.
Yes, it feels to me like he is defense optional when he has his offensive game going.

On the other hand when Payne scores 10+ we are 5-2 in the Big Ten....

My mood on this team has turned down. What a bummer turn and disappointing conclusion to the regular season.

Glad I was tied up with travel volleyball all day and missed this pisser. No need to watch the DVR....same ol shit...out played, out coached, etc...

I doubt Coyle has the stones for it. But I think the odds of all five starters coming back now is about 5%, which means we're likely to be worse next year. The ending still feels inevitable. Just a question of how long we wait for it.
And we'll hire another coach with no head coaching experience...said it a million times...the B1G is not a conference for OJT. Not sure why the administration keeps going down this road.

And we'll hire another coach with no head coaching experience...said it a million times...the B1G is not a conference for OJT. Not sure why the administration keeps going down this road.
I seriously doubt they'll make that mistake again. There are plenty of good candidates WITH head coaching experience that will take the job. The argument "we can't do any better" is bunk.

That being scared of the timid," I'll play when it feel like it Ka'el Ware blocking my shot when he's in foul trouble" told me all I need to know about Garcia.

I seriously doubt they'll make that mistake again. There are plenty of good candidates WITH head coaching experience that will take the job. The argument "we can't do any better" is bunk.
I hope so, my friend.

How long did he wait once Lindsay Whalen hit this situation? We are in it right now.

Top Bottom